Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

Skill Line XP Constantly being Deleted. Unacceptable/Pathetic ZoS.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I've noticed, before rollbacks, there's been a serious spike in XP progression on a skill line. Before I logged tonight I was seeing roughly 30% more xp on my bow kills than I'd been seeing normally.

This makes me think there might actually be something to the claim that some people are in fact seeing far higher XP income than they should on a skill or two, and then when the server normalizes out, they cry foul, because when it's a bank error in your favor, who's going to complain?

Now, it's possible the server just isn't getting kill info back from the player, which has some pretty horrifying implications, or some skills aren't registering for XP modifiers server side. But, in the mean time...
    Edited by starkerealm on October 8, 2014 8:46AM
    Options
  • unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭
    Something I've noticed, before rollbacks, there's been a serious spike in XP progression on a skill line. Before I logged tonight I was seeing roughly 30% more xp on my bow kills than I'd been seeing normally.

This makes me think there might actually be something to the claim that some people are in fact seeing far higher XP income than they should on a skill or two, and then when the server normalizes out, they cry foul, because when it's a bank error in your favor, who's going to complain?

Now, it's possible the server just isn't getting kill info back from the player, which has some pretty horrifying implications, or some skills aren't registering for XP modifiers server side. But, in the mean time...

Not saying you are wrong, but at least in my case this is not what happened. I tested it with 10+ log in and out. Each time i gain xp, i log or zone, i return to the exact same number.

If it only happened once, maybe it's a visual bug like they claimed. Or maybe it was higher for a bit, then return to its "actual" value. But this is definately not the case with my character. I still rmb the number lol, it was 24055 on my bow skilltree lol.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unlord116 wrote: »

Not saying you are wrong, but at least in my case this is not what happened. I tested it with 10+ log in and out. Each time i gain xp, i log or zone, i return to the exact same number.

If it only happened once, maybe it's a visual bug like they claimed. Or maybe it was higher for a bit, then return to its "actual" value. But this is definately not the case with my character. I still rmb the number lol, it was 24055 on my bow skilltree lol.

And just to clear the obvious question, you're doing this while killing people with a bow, or at least waving it in their general direction while you kill them with your mind, right?
    Options
  • Emeliana
    Emeliana
    ✭✭✭
    These rollbacks are totally unacceptable and something I've never experienced in any other online game. There has to be backup on the backups.

The explanation we're getting that it's purely visual and slighty out of sync doesn't hold water since the UI would update regulary - but it doesn't...

I wonder how many players that had a rollback without notice it. I have 6 chars myself and can't keep track on all of them. I didn't think that in a modern mmo I would have to write down all my progress using pen and paper or take screenshots all the time.

Customer supports answer compared to players experience with this matter and the fact the UI doesn't update, clearly suggests ZO can't pin the problem down and don't really know what's going on.

Since the error lies server side, I expect nothing less than a complete recount of skillpoints for the ones affected taking into account global level, skyshards found, quest-chains that give skillpoints, main story progression. After count a free respec for the players that have been deprived of their actual progress.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emeliana wrote: »
    After count a free respec for the players that have been deprived of their actual progress.

What good will that do? If the problem is you can't buy a perk because you don't have a high enough skill, respecing out of that skill line isn't going to make things better. Particularly when you're talking about a class skill line.
    Options
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does the server / client only sync when you leave a zone or logon ?
    That would worry me as I have been in the same zone for a few days.
    :/

Perhaps xp sync is given a low priority so other traffic (combat) can sync faster.
    All the more worrying with the combat lag.
    Really does seem like the server just cant handle all the request/response traffic between everyones client/server stream.

Perhaps all those extra ports they want open are backup channels for overload...that cause people to crash if they are closed. So everything is fine until they use the backup channels.

Alas ..the anorexic information on such things makes it impossible to guess.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 8, 2014 10:38AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
    Options
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭

Well, here's what I know: I've been attempting to level Destro for days now, working on the skill line exclusively on a number of occasions. It's currently still sitting around 35. This afternoon, while continuing to level Destro (with all 4 available abilities on my bar), I also started working on leveling Resto (with just 2 of those abilities on my second bar) and went from NOTHING to the point that it has now almost caught up with Destro (about level 31 now, I believe) which I have probably put three times as much effort into, if not more.

It is certainly also possible that I am being incorrectly credited with more XP for Resto than I actually earned, but even if that scenario is preferable to logging in and finding you've lost several levels worth of XP in a skill line, it is equally problematic; it suggests there is no consistency whatsoever to the leveling process which, as I've said already, undermines a player's confidence in his ability to progress in game, essentially destroying the reward system which keeps people playing.

EDIT: Destro now 36, Resto 33 :neutral_face:
    Edited by hammer_fella on October 8, 2014 12:21PM
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
    Options
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Remember That Wrong: Brain Distorts Memories Every Time It Recalls Them.

To elaborate, that means that you can be absolutely sure something happened and this memory grows stronger every time you think of it while the actual event might have been totally different.

When other people collaborate that memory by their own similar one, it only strenthens it more.
    Edited by Tapio75 on October 8, 2014 10:50AM
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tapio75 wrote: »

"Once I learned what confirmation bias was, I started seeing it everywhere."
    Options
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭

To elaborate, that means that you can be absolutely sure something happened and this memory grows stronger every time you think of it while the actual event might have been totally different.

When other people collaborate that memory by their own similar one, it only strenthens it more.
    That's all well and good, except that I've been recording plenty enough data to corroborate*** my experiences with the numerous others echoed in this thread.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's all well and good, except that I've been recording plenty enough data to corroborate*** my experiences with the numerous others echoed in this thread.

No, no, no, he's talking about people coming together and making new memories out of kitten yarn or somethin... collaboration.

But, yeah, I haven't been keeping detailed records, I have been tracking XP gains, which is where the sudden incoming XP spike comment came from. I was pulling ~300 on my bow per kill, and suddenly it jumps to 413? That's a warning sign.
    Options
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this is the reason why my destruction staff skill seems to have stopped increasing. I will now start taking notes on exactly what is happening. Thanks for your detailed investigations!
    Options
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be light at the end of the tunnel guys, here are my latest replies from CS...

Thanks for the screenshots and additional information.
    There is in fact a situation where a visual bug is occurring, however it is clearly not the same situation that you are running into. I apologize for the repeat response and will be escalating this issue for further investigation. We will do the best we can to help address the loss in level for you as soon as possible.

And the next...

Hi my name is Matt and I want to thank you for reaching out to us about you skill line being reset. I am sorry for the confusion and frustration that this has caused and I can assure you that our Development team is looking into this issue and hope to have a patch for this issue soon. I understand how frustrating this can be and I do thank you for your patience and understanding while we work on resolving what is going on. I also thank you for taking the time to provide us with the screen shot you sent I have added that to the information that has been sent to the Development team.
    Edited by Lunerdog on October 8, 2014 11:52AM
    Options
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. Imagine what a difference some communication makes.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent the last several days attempting to catch evidence on my system that there is any actual rollback in skills at all. I am coming up empty handed.

I wrote an add-on that monitors the skill experience as I play. Over the last 10 hours of play, which has included character and skill level advancement, I have not observed a single instance where the skill experience rolls back.

Please note that I am not monitoring what is displayed in the UI skill panel. The add-on, which I tested on PTS to make sure it was correctly identifying rollbacks, does all of the monitoring, notification, and logging if anything rolls back.

I will keep running this to see if I can catch it, but right now, I can't say that any experience is actually being lost. I remain convinced that the UI is lying.

That said, it is very possible that there is an Observer Effect happening here. The very act of my add-on making a query regarding the XP values may force a call to the server that results in a synchronization that eliminates any chance of observing the problem. It would mean that I am always getting the server value, not the value stored on the client. If this is correct, then any rollback being observed by others is due to client numbers.

The reason that this comes to mind is that since writing the add-on, I have noticed a significant drop in the number of skill advancement notifications. Last week, they were popping up all the time. This week, they are back to popping up occasionally.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso Uninstalled
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. Imagine what a difference some communication makes.

I've also sent them the link to this thread and suggested they make an anouncement as many people are rather p***** off with this :)
    Options
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent more than a couple screenshots as well but I already shared the response, so...
    Options
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭

Dude, Im getting really tired of defending this, not only do I have screen shots of this but I also been recording values. You are full of crap. Typical.
    Options
  • æxæ
    æxæ
    ✭✭✭
    After reading how people who state that the system seems suffering a bug being called drugged, suffering from alzheimer and other stuff, decided to describe my prob with my DK v5 alt.

Leveling this char for around 4 months now as I am not a big fan of alts and rather stick to 1 char. To clarify, I am neither using drugs nor is my brain suffering from dysfunctional behaviour. My main, v14 sorc has any skill available leveled to max level (morphed), including all skill lines to level 50.
    The only skill lines that are almost untouched are dual wield and two-handed,
    one sitting at level 13 and other at level 16. I am writing such an intro to avoid
    you "experts" come to tell me that I am hallucinating.

To my DK5: Yesterday I was leveling this char with a friend just doing bosses
    and dolmens I have missed along the way while soloing the zones.
    Currently leveling destro staff with destructive reach and unstable wall of elements (fire). We were in Alik'r doing a round on the dolmens as my buddy was still missing 4 generals. He got disconnected and i was just slamming some mobs to wait for him while i noticed that the mobs suddenly gave me 213 veteran points instead of 106 (using addon with floating digits).

I though,neat and was about to ask said friend to get disconnected again to see if it was related. It wasn't. Shortly after that ive gotten the usual 106 vp for each average mob. Went checking with my destro progress to see if i had yet come close to level 34 to invest another skill point in a passive that would unlock at lvl34 and was pleased to see i was only 3k short. On to the next dolmen we went, gladly I was missing that one sso sure to get lvl34 destro. We finish the dolmen and the white text appears telling me destro lvl34. At that time i didn't bother to directly invest the skill point and we moved on, me killing some mobs, friend to repair and clear inventory.

While i was killing some ghost at a stair i noticed 213 vp for the mob once again and opened the destro skill line to wonder why i was back to lvl33 missing said 3 k to lvl34 once again. Weird. Decided to send the alt back to sleep only to find out that the next day destro dropped another level, now at 32.

Please tell me this is just "cosmetic" as I am simply not going to level any skill line from now on until this is getting fixed. Some say you might even lose a skill point in the process, not up for that. Seriously, are your programmers, employees, that bad in maintaining a stable system that nearly everything is going to be affected now, ZOS?

Broken Stuff: Armor sets, Invulnerability, Mundus Stones, Buffs in cyrodiil, skills of classes, Lags, Bosses, Dungeons, Achievements, Bank, Quests,
    tell me if I am missing something because if I continue one could get the impression that we're playing an Alpha.

Please wake up and also speed it up because it's getting annoying to have anything but a stable and reliable gaming experience. Lots of players are losing confidence in your ability to run an MMO. Needless to say I am one of them.
    Options
  • Kevinmon
    Kevinmon
    ✭✭✭✭
    This ALWAYS happens to me when I respec and put points in a passive! It's *** ***!
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, it is very possible that there is an Observer Effect happening here. The very act of my add-on making a query regarding the XP values may force a call to the server that results in a synchronization that eliminates any chance of observing the problem. It would mean that I am always getting the server value, not the value stored on the client. If this is correct, then any rollback being observed by others is due to client numbers.

It's also possible that the problem is intermittent.
    Options
  • jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunerdog wrote: »
    There may be light at the end of the tunnel guys, here are my latest replies from CS...

Thanks for the screenshots and additional information.
    There is in fact a situation where a visual bug is occurring, however it is clearly not the same situation that you are running into. I apologize for the repeat response and will be escalating this issue for further investigation. We will do the best we can to help address the loss in level for you as soon as possible.

And the next...

Hi my name is Matt and I want to thank you for reaching out to us about you skill line being reset. I am sorry for the confusion and frustration that this has caused and I can assure you that our Development team is looking into this issue and hope to have a patch for this issue soon. I understand how frustrating this can be and I do thank you for your patience and understanding while we work on resolving what is going on. I also thank you for taking the time to provide us with the screen shot you sent I have added that to the information that has been sent to the Development team.

I find these responses more than a little disturbing. It all but confirms that ZOS didn't take our bug reports seriously at the beginning and are only now realizing that it's more than the "ui issue" they had claimed. How the hell can they be so far removed from the issues this game is having?! Their apparent incompetence is becoming very real.
    Options
  • Emeliana
    Emeliana
    ✭✭✭
    After count a free respec for the players that have been deprived of their actual progress.

What good will that do? If the problem is you can't buy a perk because you don't have a high enough skill, respecing out of that skill line isn't going to make things better. Particularly when you're talking about a class skill line.

So what do you suggest instead?

Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So what do you suggest instead?

A response that doesn't read like a "...and give me a pony" comes to mind.

Look, I get you're pissed, but going into your demands, it was just getting more and more unreasonable until, "give me a respec." At which point I just have to ask, what is that supposed to accomplish?
    Options
  • bunnytrix
    bunnytrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    After 2 weeks of silence..a mod response on this issue again making out that it is a UI issue (despite all the evidence here to the contrary), and that it will be "fixed in a future patch", but they can't for some reason update us in this thread.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1311781#Comment_1311781
    And what does "future patch" mean ? A week ? A month ? How long is the skill line experience going to keep disappearing? Will people get back all of the lost experience ? Or is it gone forever ? Some communication please ?
    Edited by bunnytrix on October 9, 2014 1:36PM
    Options
  • unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭
    I got this response via email

"Not sure if you missed my previous email, there is a bug in for this issue already at the moment and is resolved, it may take time to roll on on to the Live servers though.

Let me know if you need anything else and thank you for the additional details."

A fix that may have solved this issue that will go live in some time... doesn't sound promising. but who knows... if its true that fixed this, they would roll this out right away, as it is game-breaking to lose your progress. So I have a feeling the fix is prob just some bandage or they fixed something unrelated. Feels like they arent even reading my explanation of what happened.
    Options
  • bunnytrix
    bunnytrix
    ✭✭✭✭

"Not sure if you missed my previous email, there is a bug in for this issue already at the moment and is resolved, it may take time to roll on on to the Live servers though.

Let me know if you need anything else and thank you for the additional details."

A fix that may have solved this issue that will go live in some time... doesn't sound promising. but who knows... if its true that fixed this, they would roll this out right away, as it is game-breaking to lose your progress. So I have a feeling the fix is prob just some bandage or they fixed something unrelated. Feels like they arent even reading my explanation of what happened.

I agree...losing any experience in an MMO is game breaking. This thread is 2 weeks old, and the problem probably came with 1.4. The devs obviously do not think it is an urgent problem. Any other AAA MMO would have had this hotfixed in a day or less...
    Players are losing progress..and the devs just ignore it.

Options
  • unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭
    bunnytrix wrote: »

I agree...losing any experience in an MMO is game breaking. This thread is 2 weeks old, and the problem probably came with 1.4. The devs obviously do not think it is an urgent problem. Any other AAA MMO would have had this hotfixed in a day or less...
    Players are losing progress..and the devs just ignore it.

ya it sucks... on a lighter note though, it seems to be bugged only to specific characters. so i've been enjoying my low level for now. I thought it was only VR related, but it seems some ppl have thier non-vr char bugged too.

and ya it seemed to have started happening 2weeks ago
    Options
  • HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    It's unbelievable with the evidence presented and the amount of people complaining that something hasn't even been said on this thread in almost 2 weeks. I get they don't want to say something if they don't truly know what's going on, but I've never seen such lack of communication in an MMO community involving such a serious bug. I've never played an MMO where a game-breaking problem occurs and then players are told to just "wait until next patch" or "refrain from spending skill points".
    Options
  • Kosar
    Kosar
    ✭✭✭
    i posted this elsewhere in a small thread, but i'd rather the info got added to a thread with compiled info...

this is when i see it happen, for example:

grind in craglorn...dual wield reaches 40... i immediately go to cyrodiil without killing a single extra mob... skill reset to 39.

it's happened a number of times. even if it's "display only," if i spend the point before switching zones, i lose the ability to use whatever i chose until i hit 40 again. if i do NOT use it before i zone, i cannot chose it until i level again.

at NO point does the experience level up "early" according to the bar as if it was graphical and the points are being added. I.E.: i forget the real numbers, but let's say it takes 10,000 exp to go from 40 to 41. if it resets to 39, i have to re-earn, say, 2,000 to hit 40 again...I then have to earn 10,000 to hit 41. if it was "just display" based, I should only have to earn 8,000 points to hit 41.

so no, it's not a graphical bug...
    Options