Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Skill Line XP Constantly being Deleted. Unacceptable/Pathetic ZoS.

Ruebs
Ruebs
✭✭✭
A total of 3 times today while grinding Spellscar, all the experience from my Duel Wield skill tree has been deleted.

I happens every time i Zone Out/ Log Out. All Xp gains are lost and lvl's are reverted back to what they were early this morning.
I've lost a Total of 7 hours today, with no sign of the problem stopping.

I sent an Email to the support team. Their reply refused any compensation and frankly said "deal with it" until the problem is resolved... LoL?

I tried all the basics, like reloading the game, changing UI ect, to no avail.

So now, I can't play at all for fear of loosing hard earned xp gains, and i have no ETA on when the issue will be resolved.

Knowing ZoS they'll probably ignore it for 2 months.

Is anyone else having these issues? Please speak up!
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people have posted about this issues. Some have also reported similar curtness from CS. Same #$@% different bug.
  • Ruebs
    Ruebs
    ✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    Many people have posted about this issues. Some have also reported similar curtness from CS. Same #$@% different bug.

As bad as it sounds, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. =/
  • Mantic0r3
    Mantic0r3
    ✭✭✭
    yeah hade that too last couple days..i think I reached lvl 38 in Sword and Board 5+ times^^
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »

Job security breeds complacency, it seems.
    Even in Tamriel ......

What did you expect from NPCs answering CS email at this point?
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, this happened to me the other day and I thought it was a fluke or I was just having a brain fart and not paying enough attention. I was also leveling DW when it reverted.
  • bunnytrix
    bunnytrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is yet another widely reported issue that the devs refuse to acknowledge or to add to the known issues thread.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is it losing xp for all skill lines or just the weapons?

I must confess it never occurred to me to check to see if I'm losing experience levels on my skill trees since I can't imagine how something so game breaking could make it to release. But goes to show one can't take anything for granted after an update.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    We understand that this issue, on the surface, looks like you are losing skill line progression. After investigating this problem, we found that this is purely a visual bug—no one is actually losing skill line experience. This is related to the UI not reporting the correct value from the server.

To explain a little more in depth, both the client and the server independently go through the routine of updating your skill experience. In some fairly rare cases they can get slightly out of sync—sometimes you’re actually earning slightly more than it looks like, sometimes slightly less.

We hope this explanation helps. We are working on a fix for this UI issue, and thank you for reporting it to us.
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We understand that this issue, on the surface, looks like you are losing skill line progression. After investigating this problem, we found that this is purely a visual bug—no one is actually losing skill line experience. This is related to the UI not reporting the correct value from the server.

To explain a little more in depth, both the client and the server independently go through the routine of updating your skill experience. In some fairly rare cases they can get slightly out of sync—sometimes you’re actually earning slightly more than it looks like, sometimes slightly less.

We hope this explanation helps. We are working on a fix for this UI issue, and thank you for reporting it to us.

This only reinforces the feeling that you guys need to invest on the UI. It's driving players away...
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭

"purely a visual bug"? How would that explain reaching the same level multiple times. I reached level 11 in Daedric Summoning 4 times. The UI reported that to me. That's NOT just a visual bug. Furthermore, I believe the "re-sets" were triggered by quest completions or zone changes. I really needed level 12 (for the Ultimate skill), so I ground out points in the same area (watching the DS level the whole time) until I reach level 12.

On a side note, I also reported this to customer support and received no response.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to check total skill points spent?

I have logged on a few times and had more skill points then I remembered.

This of course could be me playing tired, even sleep playing - who knows.

If skill lines can bounce up and down visually it makes me wonder if skill points can be earned, added to a skill line then lost an re-earned.

Just wondering. No doubt it is me having played while too sleepy to remember or something.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Ruebs
    Ruebs
    ✭✭✭

I've gotten my DW skill tree from lvl 19 to 30 3 TIMES. Upon logging in this morning, I'm back to lvl 19 and all my Xp lost...
    How is this s visual issue
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »

If skill lines can bounce up and down visually it makes me wonder if skill points can be earned, added to a skill line then lost an re-earned.

Just wondering. No doubt it is me having played while too sleepy to remember or something.

The add-on is called SpentSkillpoints. It's simple and awesome. Yet another simple add-on for a UI feature that ZOS too lazy to implement on their own.
  • Thatusernameistaken
    Always interesting to see more evidence of how awesome this game is!
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm. :neutral_face:
  • Yam_of_the_Center
    Yam_of_the_Center
    ✭✭✭
    Besides counting them, you can also go to the Skill Point reset shrine in Wayrest / Mournhold / Elden Root, see how much it would cost to reset your skills, then divide that number by 50 (it's 50 gold each refunded Skill Point for a full reset).
    He will bring life to the dead, hope to the living, and for him the Gate will open.
    The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the finest Elder Scrolls resource around!
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    Edited because it was heavy armour, not sword n board, and I'm a knee jerk ***. Carry on.
    Edited by Thralgaf on September 26, 2014 1:54PM
  • Emeliana
    Emeliana
    ✭✭✭

I've lost skillpoints too, and at the same time 2 skills suddenly had the + sign beside them, still being leveled to IV. To my knowledge, there's NO way for us to respec just 2 separate skills - so what gives? I have to reactivate them with two more skillpoints upon the ones already lost...

• DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reached level 45 in resto staff,at least three times last night. Opened a ticket, and cs responed, word for word, with what Jessica just replied with. The explanation is feasible. But, some of the reports here seem so severe, that I wonder if the bug is fully understood.
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    Whether this is purely visual or XP is indeed being lost (as certainly feels to be the case to me) it completely undermines a player's feeling of accomplishment and progression for obvious reasons. Fix it immediately.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Restoration Staff skill level was reset back to 44 (from 45), after logging in today. This is at least the 5th time it's happened in less than 24 hours. And, I suspect it is more, before I noticed it.

I highly encourage others to start paying close attention to their various skill line level progressions and skill xp. Particularly if you are focusing on a certain skill line, and stacking the bar with those skills. This seems to be when it is most problematic.

The severity of this is being downplayed. To call it "cosmetic" is slightly disingenuous. The only way a user has to know of their XP values, is by what the UI is reporting. If the UI reports you have earned 1000XP, but later the UI reports you've earned only 100XP, that is a loss of progression for the user. There is some other arbiter behind the scenes that is retroactively calculating a different value.

It doesn't make sense why a client-side calculation vs. a server side calculation would differ so dramatically, and over such a long period of time. The server and client constantly synchronize state. Why such a disparity for skill XP?

Except perhaps if they are deliberately "throttling" XP gain on the server side. Where the server looks at the rate of skill XP gain at irregular intervals, and determines if that rate exceeds some value (adjusted for char. level), then reduces the skill XP to what it would be at the cap'd rate, during the next server->client update.

The fix for this needs increased priority. Maybe not the highest. But, certainly not the priority of a typical "cosmetic" bug.
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just received an update from CS. My question was in regard to Skill Points spent on a skill line that is affected by this bug.

/* Here is my question to ZOS CS */

"What happens to a spent skill point, when you no longer meet the prerequisite level requirement, due to the server retroactively re-calculating and reducing the observable skill line experience points and level?

Is the spent point returned to the user's available pool? Is it lost? Or does it remain applied, even when you no longer meet the prerequisite level requirement?"

/* This is ZOS CS answer */

"In regards to your question about using a skill point in the last two remaining passives, I would suggest holding off from acquiring those passives until we have resolved the underling issue. I know how important passives are to every character but I do not want you to experience any further frustration from this issue by it costing you to loose out on one or two extremely valuable skill points."

Fair enough. He/She didn't answer the question directly. Instead provided the "safe" answer. This is basically to say, CS doesn't know. So, to be safe don't spend your skill points, until this is fixed.

• Probitas
    Probitas
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the enchant experience of my mage looked wrong last I saw him, but at this point I'm not surprised by anything that happens now.
  • Soliss
    Soliss
    ✭✭✭
    Dear ZOS, your explanation is simply pathetic. You don't know what's going on in your game and your developers don't know how to fix things without introducing more bugs. It's a sad sad situation really.
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is probably happening to many people, whom do not realize it. Simply because the skill line xp is not at the forefront, like character xp.

Unless the player is actively monitoring the skill xp and/or skill level, they have no way of knowing that these are being subsequently "rolled back" at irregular intervals.

Even more disconcerting. Players are potentially spending skill points, only later to have those points irrevocably disappear, because the prerequisites for that skill are no longer met.

I just hope this isn't a tactic used to "engineer" time sinks.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The severity of this is being downplayed. To call it "cosmetic" is slightly disingenuous.
    I could not agree more. Just like the bank bug or dupe bug or any bug this group denies or downplays.

Instead provided the "safe" answer. This is basically to say, CS doesn't know. So, to be safe don't spend your skill points, until this is fixed.
    Don't use the product you've paid for. Brilliant solution!

Months later these clowns are still stepping in poop. Enough with the apologies, stop breaking things.
    Edited by kewl on September 28, 2014 2:48AM
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if resetting your skill points would stop this bug. Unfortunately pay the gold to re-spec them, see if you gain any, then see if that stops the bug.?

...just a thought! Kinda like a skill points reboot.
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    I just received an update from CS. My question was in regard to Skill Points spent on a skill line that is affected by this bug.

/* Here is my question to ZOS CS */

"What happens to a spent skill point, when you no longer meet the prerequisite level requirement, due to the server retroactively re-calculating and reducing the observable skill line experience points and level?

Is the spent point returned to the user's available pool? Is it lost? Or does it remain applied, even when you no longer meet the prerequisite level requirement?"

/* This is ZOS CS answer */

"In regards to your question about using a skill point in the last two remaining passives, I would suggest holding off from acquiring those passives until we have resolved the underling issue. I know how important passives are to every character but I do not want you to experience any further frustration from this issue by it costing you to loose out on one or two extremely valuable skill points."

Fair enough. He/She didn't answer the question directly. Instead provided the "safe" answer. This is basically to say, CS doesn't know. So, to be safe don't spend your skill points, until this is fixed.

In regards. Underling issue. Loose out.

If your customer reps aren't going to say anything of substance, you might at least teach them functional English so they can blather on in a language I understand.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit level 40 with my bow today. I hit level 40 with my bow yesterday too :\ I don't understand how that works?!
    This is probably happening to many people, whom do not realize it. Simply because the skill line xp is not at the forefront, like character xp.

Unless the player is actively monitoring the skill xp and/or skill level, they have no way of knowing that these are being subsequently "rolled back" at irregular intervals.

Even more disconcerting. Players are potentially spending skill points, only later to have those points irrevocably disappear, because the prerequisites for that skill are no longer met.

I lost skill points a few times early on in the game but got them back when I respecced. But yeah it's completely random and almost impossible for a player to track what has been lost.
  • jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeevin wrote: »
    I hit level 40 with my bow today. I hit level 40 with my bow yesterday too :\ I don't understand how that works?!

I lost skill points a few times early on in the game but got them back when I respecced. But yeah it's completely random and almost impossible for a player to track what has been lost.

Again just playing now and I get to level 40 with my bow.... GAAHHHH!!