Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Skill Line XP Constantly being Deleted. Unacceptable/Pathetic ZoS.

• æxæ
    æxæ
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, no reaction but that one on front page from the dev side of sep 25th?
    You gotta be kidding me.
  • HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    æxæ wrote: »
    Seriously, no reaction but that one on front page from the dev side of sep 25th?
    You gotta be kidding me.

Yes, other than people sharing their emails, that's all we've heard sadly.
  • lpool96
    lpool96
    ✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »
    Is there a way to check total skill points spent?

I have logged on a few times and had more skill points then I remembered.

This of course could be me playing tired, even sleep playing - who knows.

If skill lines can bounce up and down visually it makes me wonder if skill points can be earned, added to a skill line then lost an re-earned.

Just wondering. No doubt it is me having played while too sleepy to remember or something.

I have experienced the same thing, but never the other way (lost any points) probably why there is so little about the issue on the forum. :)
  • bunnytrix
    bunnytrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    lpool96 wrote: »
    Elf_Boy wrote: »
    Is there a way to check total skill points spent?

I have logged on a few times and had more skill points then I remembered.

This of course could be me playing tired, even sleep playing - who knows.

If skill lines can bounce up and down visually it makes me wonder if skill points can be earned, added to a skill line then lost an re-earned.

Just wondering. No doubt it is me having played while too sleepy to remember or something.

I have experienced the same thing, but never the other way (lost any points) probably why there is so little about the issue on the forum. :)

Just to be clear here...skill lines are not bouncing up and down visually...skill line experience is being lost... so it resets to a lower skill level (often when you relog or use a wayshrine or other instancing mechanic), so you then have to level up that skill line again to where you had it previously...only for the same thing to happen again.
    So you are in fact losing quite a lot of experience. It is not a visual or UI bug..you are actually losing the xp. Yet despite all the evidence from all these players to the contrary, ZoS are still trying to tell us it's not really being lost and is just the UI not showing the true values. But they just will not come on here and actually tell us what is being done about it, or when we can expect a fix, or if in fact we will ever get that lost xp back.
    Players are losing their skill line progress ( yes..lost xp in an MMO ) and the devs are just ignoring it.
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, take a look at the screenshot, the last passive that you must be skill level 50 for has been taken yet my skill level is back down to 49

Come on ZOS, stop repeating the UI error nonsense and get this fixed.

Screenshot_20141007_003908_zps7594c3b5.png
  • Emeliana
    Emeliana
    ✭✭✭
    Emeliana wrote: »
    Emeliana wrote: »
    After count a free respec for the players that have been deprived of their actual progress.

What good will that do? If the problem is you can't buy a perk because you don't have a high enough skill, respecing out of that skill line isn't going to make things better. Particularly when you're talking about a class skill line.

So what do you suggest instead?

A response that doesn't read like a "...and give me a pony" comes to mind.

Look, I get you're pissed, but going into your demands, it was just getting more and more unreasonable until, "give me a respec." At which point I just have to ask, what is that supposed to accomplish?

*More and more unreasonable" ?? So it's ok for the server to misplace our progress?

That together with your patronizing about the pony... I can't take anything you write from now on serious.

• baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aha! This is a known bug. Good. I'd been wondering why for the past few days, I keep getting the message about levelling up my Restoration Staff skill twice. I've had it at 39... and at 39 again, then 40, and 40 again, all the way up to my current skill of 45.

This is on my level V2 (now V3) Dragonknight, btw. I haven't noticed it happening on my V4 Sorcerer (but I believe all of his skill lines are level 50 already), nor on my level 37 Templar.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Ruebs
    Ruebs
    ✭✭✭
    I hate repeating myself, but.... This is not a UI error. The total Skill Line XP as shown skill's Tab, consistently reverts to EXACTLY the same numerical value, as a previous Save/Checkpoint.

For example, say i enter Spellscar and my DW XP (as shown in the Skills tab) is 100,000. I'll grind it to 150,000 gaining several levels. When i leave that zone/log out My XP is reverted back to exactly 100,000. ALL XP gains are lost. Hence i find it hard to believe this is a UI error.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruebs wrote: »
    I hate repeating myself, but.... This is not a UI error. The total Skill Line XP as shown skill's Tab, consistently reverts to EXACTLY the same numerical value, as a previous Save/Checkpoint.

Is anyone else having this exact issue, where they have verified that skill XP is going back to the exact XP value from hours earlier? A value reported by the skill UI panel and not an add on?

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Been seeing weirds on my Sorc.
    Storm Calling 10 then the very next message Storm Calling 9 (about .5s later)
    Now I am going to start taking screenshots as I'm sure I'd got to 16 but logged back on with 14, just need to check that over the next few logons to be sure...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else having this exact issue, where they have verified that skill XP is going back to the exact XP value from hours earlier? A value reported by the skill UI panel and not an add on?

Yes. Myself included, more than a couple players wrote about it and even shared mail responses from ZoS in this topic. You can see them on the previous pages.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »

Yes. Myself included, more than a couple players wrote about it and even shared mail responses from ZoS in this topic. You can see them on the previous pages.

Ok, thanks. You had not mentioned before that you were rolling back to an exact XP value from the past. Your comments have all been about just rolling back with no specifics on the XP values that you were rolling back to.

I have seen the rollback happen but never to what I can identify as an historical XP value. If it is a UI problem, and I am in no position to dispute ZOS, then it will probably not roll back to an historical XP value.

• Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    We understand that this issue, on the surface, looks like you are losing skill line progression. After investigating this problem, we found that this is purely a visual bug—no one is actually losing skill line experience. This is related to the UI not reporting the correct value from the server.

To explain a little more in depth, both the client and the server independently go through the routine of updating your skill experience. In some fairly rare cases they can get slightly out of sync—sometimes you’re actually earning slightly more than it looks like, sometimes slightly less.

We hope this explanation helps. We are working on a fix for this UI issue, and thank you for reporting it to us.

This is categorically NOT a UI issue. I've also experienced the problem, coincidentally (or not) also on my NB with the dual wield skill line. It's now happened 4 times that I've spotted and each time I've tried relogging to no avail.

I'm now periodically taking screen shots of my skill line progression in case it happens again so that I can provide evidence.
    ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
    αӡѻυг
    ╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^
    ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• Sigerk
    Sigerk
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, for me with the Daedric Summoning skill line that reset three times to level 11. When I finally got to 12 I needed one skyshard or a lvl up to get the ultimate. The tooltip said I needed one skill point. So I lvl up, and to my surprise see that I reached lvl 11 again. And now the tooltip said I needed to be lvl 12 to buy the ultimate. So no. Not a UI problem at all.
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, thanks. You had not mentioned before that you were rolling back to an exact XP value from the past. Your comments have all been about just rolling back with no specifics on the XP values that you were rolling back to.

I have seen the rollback happen but never to what I can identify as an historical XP value. If it is a UI problem, and I am in no position to dispute ZOS, then it will probably not roll back to an historical XP value.

In my case, it was not a certain XP value. Sometimes it rolled back to 29 from 30; and in one case it rolled back from 32 to 30. It really needs a close monitoring to call it a certain value but in my case, it looks like the skills roll back more if you continue playing. I also tried logging out and logging back in about 15 mins just after I increased a skill tree but it did not work either.

Sometimes you encounter it while changing zones, sometimes you see it going in and out of the buildings. Therefore I'm not sure if it's also related to the zone changing. Whatever the reason is, it's discouraging.

Edited by Mitrenga on October 11, 2014 7:05PM
  • HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭

[/quote]

Yes my Earthen Heart and Restoration Staff tree consistently reset to the same numerical value. They do not gain experience at all and cannot be leveled past 18 unless I stay in the same zone the entire time and don't log out. If I do either of those things, Earthen Heart and Restoration Staff are reset to the same exact value they've been at since I noticed this problem 2 weeks ago. This shows that I am not gaining ANY experience in both skill lines. I could play for 7 hours and as soon as I log out or zone I would go back to where I was.

Note: I was not running any addons while I observed this.

Edited by HeX7 on October 11, 2014 7:31PM
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im collecting evidence as I go. IF ZOS wants to play this game, I will play it. Im sure game magazines would be interested in knowing that an MMO is so broken it doesn't even record XP correctly. The longer this goes on, the more proof I can gather, the more proof I can gather the bigger the back lash will be on ZOS.

So if that is how it has to be, then thats fine.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [
    Leeric wrote: »
    Im collecting evidence as I go. IF ZOS wants to play this game, I will play it. Im sure game magazines would be interested in knowing that an MMO is so broken it doesn't even record XP correctly. The longer this goes on, the more proof I can gather, the more proof I can gather the bigger the back lash will be on ZOS.

Well, how are you collecting this evidence?

I would also be very wary of presenting evidence to magazines. Should you prove to be wrong, it might get interesting in ways that you may not like.

• æxæ
    æxæ
    ✭✭✭

C'mon man. Let's stay with both feet on the ground here. It's one thing to get a little heated because of bugs and how they are not fixed in a timely manner but to threaten a company with this is a little off. I suggest you take a cold shower.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question for people who are seeing problems with rollbacks...

Are you alternating between weapons during combat?

I am finding that I see the rollbacks more frequently when I do weapon swapping during combat.

• Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am finding that I see the rollbacks more frequently when I do weapon swapping during combat.

Yes, the char that I'm experiencing the problem is always changing between resto and destro staff.

@Leeric‌

We are trying to continue in a constructive way and trying to understand the situation here mate. This is not a fight, this is a project we all participate in and would like it to develop the game into a better shape. If you find anything about the roots of the rollback problem, please share it with a /bug report.
    Edited by Mitrenga on October 12, 2014 2:03AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the char that I'm experiencing the problem is always changing between resto and destro staff.

@Leeric‌

We are trying to continue in a constructive way and trying to understand the situation here mate. This is not a fight, this is a project we all participate in and would like it to develop the game into a better shape.

Thanks.

I wrote /bug report 141011-001461 earlier this evening detailing how weapon swapping between Restoration and Destruction during combat may be part of the problem.

I have no idea what the role of weapon swapping is. It could be the cause or it could be one of many triggers for a cause that lies elsewhere. It could be completely unrelated and I spent a couple hours chasing shadows. I discovered it entirely by accident. There could be other triggers that I would never notice.

I won't say whether this is a UI issue or not. I am certainly concerned that it may be outside of the UI fix that they have been working on, which is why I wrote the /bug report.

I will say that I spent too much time profiling this bug. :smile:

Edited by Elsonso on October 12, 2014 2:30AM
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    my main is switching b/w destro & restro and still experiencing this bug, in case that helps narrow it down. will check alts w/other weapons and report back.
  • jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My weapons are bow/two handed. Two handed is at 50 already but bow is constantly being rolled back. I'm not convinced it's the weapon swapping however as I can go a long while just using bow and still experiencing the issue.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭

@Leeric‌

We are trying to continue in a constructive way and trying to understand the situation here mate. This is not a fight, this is a project we all participate in and would like it to develop the game into a better shape. If you find anything about the roots of the rollback problem, please share it with a /bug report.

I don't know why you think you are responding to me like that. Ive bugged reported it over 5 times. ZOS hasn't said anything on the subject and their customer support just tries to pacify the subject instead of helping those who are having issues. Read everyones responses for customer support. I guess you don't understand the value of money, I fight for my money and when a company seeks to take advantage I seek to take my money back or get a fix. I am allowed to further this however I wish as this problem his been largely ignored. "Continue in a constructive way" ZOS has all this informations as well as I'm sure a 100 plus bug reports on it. What you think is constructive is how companies end up taking your money while you sit back trying to play nice. This isn't a fantasy land, this is real life, I suggest you pop out of your little RPG world and join the rest of us. As I said before if a company wants to play the silence game, let them. I have no problem taking this issue to sites that will report it. And if it continues further I will even report to the BBB as the product isn't working as it should but they are more than happy to take my money.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    æxæ wrote: »

C'mon man. Let's stay with both feet on the ground here. It's one thing to get a little heated because of bugs and how they are not fixed in a timely manner but to threaten a company with this is a little off. I suggest you take a cold shower.

Thats how you proceed when a company ignores a faulty product, welcome to real life kids.
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    I've now experienced this two more times since my last post in this thread - and this time I have screen shots to illustrate it which I'll send to ZOS with another support ticket. (For ZOS that ticket is 141012-000791)

The image below illustrates the losses and matches the bars to the screenshots that I'll send ZOS.
    DualWieldSkillXPBug_zps931cdf6f.jpg

BTW the ZOS viewpoint on this is here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24048/kw/skill line experience
    They assert that the client is showing experience gaining faster than it should and that the server has the correct data.
    From what I've seen I'd suggest that the server isn't updating correctly at times and then when there is an event that causes a resync the client is updated to match the (old, not updated) server record.
    Edited by Razour on October 12, 2014 4:30PM
    αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razour wrote: »
    From what I've seen I'd suggest that the server isn't updating correctly at times and then when there is an event that causes a resync the client is updated to match the (old, not updated) server record.

Are you swapping weapons during combat?

• Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    Razour wrote: »

Are you swapping weapons during combat?

Not during combat very much, 'though I do swap in between fights and for particular fights.

αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭

Yes i still remember the exact number of bow xp too because it keeps resetting to the exact amount.