Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Skill Line XP Constantly being Deleted. Unacceptable/Pathetic ZoS.

• unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭
    To repeat all the doubters. It is not a UI error. if i gained 100xp and then i lose 100xp. back to the exact same number.

if it was a UI a error I would at least have some gains over 1 hour of playing, even if its a ui error and the numbers dont match. It should not drop down to the exact number when i first logged on. This happened for 5 days in a row on my DK, which i stopped playing now.

Not sure how else to prove that it is not a UI error to ppl that are doubting, perhaps only way is for you to lose ur own xp then ull believe it?
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    That smells to me as if the server is failing to update rather than the client accumulating xp faster than it should.
    ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
    αӡѻυг
    ╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^
    ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    When this happened to me, I was also routinely weapon swapping. I have not experienced it on my other two characters, but they rarely weapon swap. Not conclusive, but suspisious.

Note: unless you are actively looking for it, this can be hard to notice.
  • Sensesfail13
    Sensesfail13
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is not a purely visual bug because I lost all progress on my destro staff after 3 hours of grinding the other day leaving my unable to use impulse and I had 14 points of progress in my resto staff and woe and behold ITS ALL GONE and Ive had it for months. -_- oh and Im lagging more than ever in large groups in cyrodiil with the last hot fix and the hirelings werent fixed now im not getting anything from blacksmithing hirelings now. Thx ZoS. Youre a peach.
    Wisherr, Dragonknight, Haderus, NA Server.
    Wisher of Naught, Nightblade, Haderus, NA Server.
    Guild officer: Abandoned Legion
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emeliana wrote: »
    After count a free respec for the players that have been deprived of their actual progress.

What good will that do? If the problem is you can't buy a perk because you don't have a high enough skill, respecing out of that skill line isn't going to make things better. Particularly when you're talking about a class skill line.

So what do you suggest instead?

A response that doesn't read like a "...and give me a pony" comes to mind.

Look, I get you're pissed, but going into your demands, it was just getting more and more unreasonable until, "give me a respec." At which point I just have to ask, what is that supposed to accomplish?

*More and more unreasonable" ?? So it's ok for the server to misplace our progress?

That together with your patronizing about the pony... I can't take anything you write from now on serious.

Fine, be the person who thinks you know how your car runs without even looking under the hood. Or, you know, make completely unreasonable demands based on your limited understanding of how the database works.

Don't ask them to fix it, ask them to magic it away and then give each individual user personal individual, time consuming attention.

Trust me, you do not want them trying to recalculate the number of skyshards and quest skillpoints you should have. There is no way that doesn't go horribly wrong.

Asking for a respec after that is just nuts. If you've actually lost skill points, file a CS request like a normal person. But, just because you've been screwed by a bug, don't expect them to turn the world inside out, and lead to a far greater number of issues for other players because you're upset. That's being unreasonable.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    badmojo wrote: »
    This bug needs to be fixed, that's for sure. But, why would some of you people continue to level your skills when you know it's just going to reset again? Then you come on the forums and cry that you have to do it "again and again"...? No, you don't have to do it again and again, it's broken. Doing it again and again is your own fault, your skills resetting again and again is also your own fault. You're doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So...don't play the game? Excellent suggestion!

Nah, my suggestion is to not get all upset when you knowingly play a broken game.

Perhaps if you can't find fun in the game other than leveling a skill, then don't play. Go outside, read a book, make a friend, fall in love. There's more to life than your skill stats in ESO.
    [DC/NA]
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    Ruebs wrote: »
    I hate repeating myself, but.... This is not a UI error. The total Skill Line XP as shown skill's Tab, consistently reverts to EXACTLY the same numerical value, as a previous Save/Checkpoint.

Is anyone else having this exact issue, where they have verified that skill XP is going back to the exact XP value from hours earlier? A value reported by the skill UI panel and not an add on?

Yes. Myself included, more than a couple players wrote about it and even shared mail responses from ZoS in this topic. You can see them on the previous pages.

I've checked the screenshots that I've been taking since I noticed this issue and I can confirm that the value reverts back to the exact same value as seen at an earlier point in time. This strongly supports the theory that it's the server that is not being updated rather than the client incorrectly showing xp accumulating too fast.

My support ticket has been updated accordingly and the last update I got back said "Thank you for taking the time to go into so much depth in regards to what you have observed. At this point, I'm going move this up to a specialized team who will be able to look into this at a deeper level. Thanks so much for your patience! They will be getting back to you as soon as possible."
    αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    Please let us know what they say if you can Razour!

Edited by HeX7 on October 13, 2014 7:50PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I leveled the NB Shadow skill line to 39 eight different times before it finally went to 40.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ and/or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

Noting about a fix for this issue in the 1.4.6 patch notes. Please advise when you expect a resolution.
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    HeX7 wrote: »
    Please let us know what they say if you can Razour!

In summary, they're still in denial. The response from the "escalation team" was basically to reassert that this is a visual bug on the client side.

What isn't clear to me from the response I got back is whether they're just overloaded and don't have the time to look any deeper or if they simply don't have the tools to look any deeper.

Personally I find the fact that the xp is resetting to an earlier value a pretty compelling argument to support that the server is not being updated rather than the client running ahead as ZOS assert.

All that said I hope this all becomes moot as the final comment was "I do see that this is currently being worked on in our database and that they are currently working on a fix to sync the server and the game right now and it's being tested at the moment."

αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just plain sad. How can they not know what is going on in their own game? How can it be that hard to look into when there are so many of us experiencing this problem? I guess it's just another "well we're really not sure so we'll just ignore it and hope it goes away" fix. :(
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jeevin wrote: »
    This is just plain sad. How can they not know what is going on in their own game? How can it be that hard to look into when there are so many of us experiencing this problem? I guess it's just another "well we're really not sure so we'll just ignore it and hope it goes away" fix. :(

Hint: They took three days to upload v1.5 to the PTS, and released it with a lot of character templates - NONE OF WHICH works...
    Don't seriously say you're surprised??
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even worse, when you have a server-rollback in Cyrodiil and be degraded after just gained another PvP-rank/skill.
    All time and therefore money wasted by the customer. Too many drains already in this game. I guess, if they just work on Beta-bugs now, it will take another year to actually be able to play it properly.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed it a few times now when attempting to skill up sword and board.

What seemed to work for me last night was after I gained my skill up I kept that character online for another hour or so, in hopes that would help the skill gain "save properly." When I logged on today it looked correct and had not reverted back to previous.

No one should *have* to do this though.. Needs fixing yesterday.

Disabling the grass may improve performance.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not necessarily lying to our faces. This may be a "visual bug on the client side" in the same manner as Eidetic Memory, another "client side issue" which took them forever to fix. In that context, the message "don't worry, it's only client side" is not reassuring at all. The message that they are testing a fix means very little as well. More often than not, they have put out fixes that don't actually work or only address part of the problem.
  • HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    As of now this bug is effecting all of my characters. My only option other than playing with multiple skill lines completely gimped, would be to not play. Which bums me out as I do genuinely enjoy this game and have been having fun thus far. This bug, however, has made advancing more stressful than rewarding. I have been talking with support and they asked me to send in pictures of what was happening, which I have done. We can only hope that they start to look into it more deeply as more people start to complain.
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    HeX7 wrote: »
    I have been talking with support and they asked me to send in pictures of what was happening, which I have done.
    Perhaps you could also pass on my ticket number (141012-000791) so that they know that this is likely the same issue - I've also shared with them several screenshots to illustrate the problem and a link to this thread too.
    They are not necessarily lying to our faces. This may be a "visual bug on the client side" in the same manner as Eidetic Memory, another "client side issue" which took them forever to fix. In that context, the message "don't worry, it's only client side" is not reassuring at all. The message that they are testing a fix means very little as well. More often than not, they have put out fixes that don't actually work or only address part of the problem.
    Yes, I generally agree - it is perhaps purely semantics whether this is characterized as a client side bug or a server bug as it seems pretty clear that the fundamental issue is the server and client are out of sync. That said I do think that they're pushing it too far when they say that this is only a visual bug - the evidence clearly suggests otherwise, skill progression is being lost intermittently.
    I also agree with regards the track record on testing and fixing stuff - given that they apparently don't really grasp what the issue is in this case (the alternative is that they do understand but are not being fully honest with us) doesn't really give me any confidence that they are fixing the right issue or will understand how to test it.

Edited by Razour on October 14, 2014 11:23AM
    αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said I do think that they're pushing it too far when they say that this is only a visual bug - the evidence clearly suggests otherwise, skill progression is being lost intermittently.

If I remember the symptoms correctly, Eidetic Memory correctly updated the client's local view when you read a book, but then it reset the status for all books to a state that never changed when you logged out or zoned. As far as I can see, they have now fixed it to include all the books I read even during the time it was broken. So, there is at least one previous example where the server had the correct information, but the client received faulty information from the server when it tried to sync states.

If the skill progression is indeed permanently lost from the server database, this is a much more serious error. Making players spend many hours on skill leveling only to have the progress thrown into the trash before the next login sounds like a sure way of losing customers. I hope this is not the case.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A possible, stupid, voodoo computing solution...

Is anyone else who's experiencing this, running an NVidia card with GeForce Experience running?

There's a known issue where NVidia's streaming software can cause lag issues in ESO, I'm wondering if it might also be possible that it's messing with the server/client interaction on this.

It's weird, random, but possibly worth checking out.
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else who's experiencing this, running an NVidia card with GeForce Experience running?

There's a known issue where NVidia's streaming software can cause lag issues in ESO, I'm wondering if it might also be possible that it's messing with the server/client interaction on this.

Mine is ATI.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »

Mine is ATI.

...well crap, there went that theory. :(
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    That said I do think that they're pushing it too far when they say that this is only a visual bug - the evidence clearly suggests otherwise, skill progression is being lost intermittently.

If I remember the symptoms correctly, Eidetic Memory correctly updated the client's local view when you read a book, but then it reset the status for all books to a state that never changed when you logged out or zoned. As far as I can see, they have now fixed it to include all the books I read even during the time it was broken. So, there is at least one previous example where the server had the correct information, but the client received faulty information from the server when it tried to sync states.

If the skill progression is indeed permanently lost from the server database, this is a much more serious error. Making players spend many hours on skill leveling only to have the progress thrown into the trash before the next login sounds like a sure way of losing customers. I hope this is not the case.
    Some skill progress is permanently lost - it is an intermittent problem where (apparently) synch between client and server is lost. Once synch is reestablished the server data is used and all the xp gained, as shown on the client, since the loss of synch is lost. Only indication that you get that you've lost synch is when your skill xp is rolled back.

The worst case scenario (which some posters here have experienced) is where the client shows that you've reach a level where you can spend skill points and then they get rolled back after spending that point. It's not clear to me (having never experienced that) whether the skill point is lost at that time.

αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razour wrote: »
    It's not clear to me (having never experienced that) whether the skill point is lost at that time.

Some people have reported that it is lost, others have posted screenshots of purchased points they don't have the rank to actually buy. Like level 48/49 weapons trees with both tiers of the bottom passive purchased.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    We have a fix planned to go out during Monday's maintenance that will resolve the greater of the two issues that are making it appear as if skill experience is rolling back between gameplay sessions. There is still a secondary issue in which the server and client may evaluate skill experience gain at different rates. We are still investigating that issue.

To reiterate, you are not actually losing your skill progress.

The fix on Monday will work like this:

Any time you swap skill bars, the server will now force a reevaluation of skill experience bonuses to prevent cases where part of the bonuses from the previous skill bar could still be used rather than the new one.

Thank you all for your patience as we work to fully resolve this issue.
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay... so when people are seeing full resets that's because they're being granted XP erroneously by the client?
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now trying to get my head around which theory I'd like to believe, either:
    - ZOS are simply incompetent and aren't able to see the obvious that skill xp is being lost.
    OR
    - ZOS are lying to their customers because they don't want to acknowledge that skill xp is being lost.

Tough call.

Edit 16/Oct: seems that there was a third option that I didn't consider - the communication from ZOS was incomplete. That gap has now been closed: we've now had some more detail that explain that the missing xp is being incorrectly assigned to the wrong skill lines (and possibly being assigned to skills that are already maxed).
    Edited by Razour on October 16, 2014 9:51AM
    αӡѻυг
    Bosmer Nightblade
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^

• jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a fix planned to go out during Monday's maintenance that will resolve the greater of the two issues that are making it appear as if skill experience is rolling back between gameplay sessions. There is still a secondary issue in which the server and client may evaluate skill experience gain at different rates. We are still investigating that issue.

Any time you swap skill bars, the server will now force a reevaluation of skill experience bonuses to prevent cases where part of the bonuses from the previous skill bar could still be used rather than the new one.

Well going by this my bow skill line should jump to nearly level 50 (currently 45)after Monday's update, given that the xp hasn't been lost?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

I wrote 141014-001819 in response to your statement with additional information that may better demonstrate the skill swapping problem. Hopefully this will help with your investigation.

Edited by Elsonso on October 14, 2014 10:27PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    I received an email response with that exact explanation and some other things like them saying it's okay to play my characters and advance my characters even thought it looks like experience is being lost. That's kind of hard to do... You know, with the inability to gain new skills and all... I'm glad there's been a response and that it's being worked on though, don't get me wrong. I asked them in return if we should plan on seeing experience jump back up after the fix, because it would be impossible to play for over a day of game time using a certain skill line and not have it advance, right? I hope so..
    Edited by HeX7 on October 15, 2014 2:54AM