Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Skill Line XP Constantly being Deleted. Unacceptable/Pathetic ZoS.

• rwelshmub17_ESO
    rwelshmub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    But the thing is my highest level character is only 31. I have a lot of leveling to do which means a lot of skill points to spend, and that seems risky to do. It's risky enough that CS is recommending we don't do it.

So why bother playing before it's fixed? It's not like there's anything else for me to do in game.

So far as I know, it doesn't affect class or guild skill lines, only weapons and (maybe) armor.

The best suggestion is only buy skills in those lines after you zone or after you've logged in. Also, keep track, if your skills are getting completely reset, tell customer service about it. That is not a UI issue, and really needs to be addressed separately.

Its happening to my Assination and DW lines. Ive been supportive and for the most part enjoying the game since beta but Im a very casual player and this is a deal breaker for me. If I cant advance skills when I do play then whats the point?
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had this happen on my Sorc this afternoon, Destruction Staff rolled back 3 points after hitting 50 :(

Edit to add:

Have just tested again twice by levelling Destro Staff to 48 and on travelling to another zone it was reset to 47

Also the bull**** email I've just received from support denying that there is a issue here beggers belief.

Just makes you not want to play.
    Edited by Lunerdog on October 6, 2014 6:34PM
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hit level 46 on sword and board, rolled back to halfway through 45. Literally within a span of 10 minutes. SERIOUSLY WHERE IS THE FIX.....how many times do I and many others have to BUG REPORT THIS. Before you fix it? This is obviously a pretty serious bug....
    Pathetic is right.
    Edited by Leeric on October 7, 2014 3:30AM
  • Greatfellow
    Greatfellow
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS should hotpatch every time they have a fix, not save most of the fixes for the main publishes. I simply don't get that philosophy of saving up fixes for the main publish. I mean, if there is some sort of convenience to ZOS in doing it that way they should still not do it that way: make subscribers wait six weeks at a time for most fixes...

AND when the fixes finally get published they aren't necessarily working that well. As in, their fixes often need hotpatching. One more good reason to hotpatch all the time, and quit saving fixes for the main publish.
    Edited by Greatfellow on October 7, 2014 3:37AM
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunerdog wrote: »
    Also the bull**** email I've just received from support denying that there is a issue here beggers belief. Just makes you not want to play.

@Lunerdog please post the email with your personal info scrubbed. Thanks.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ and/or @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ please advise when this issue will be resolved.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We understand that this issue, on the surface, looks like you are losing skill line progression. After investigating this problem, we found that this is purely a visual bug—no one is actually losing skill line experience. This is related to the UI not reporting the correct value from the server.

To explain a little more in depth, both the client and the server independently go through the routine of updating your skill experience. In some fairly rare cases they can get slightly out of sync—sometimes you’re actually earning slightly more than it looks like, sometimes slightly less.

We hope this explanation helps. We are working on a fix for this UI issue, and thank you for reporting it to us.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ - Is there any word on a fix for this?

It is not "purely a visual bug", because it is preventing us from spending skillpoints in our class skills because client side we do not have sufficient points to unlock skills.

I just "appeared to lose" 4000 points from my Earthen Heart line when I had to relog due to a glitch, I have been trying to level this skill to unlock the actives and passives for 2 weeks now - even if it is just a display issue, this is a serious bug, because I cannot use skills that I ought to be able to use, nor can I tell which skills I ought to slot because I do not know whether they have finished leveling or not. This puts me, as a player, at a considerable disadvantage compared to those of the same level who had already finished leveling the skill before the bug.

This needs to be given higher priority and fixed asap.
    Edited by Epona222 on October 7, 2014 10:29AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    Lunerdog wrote: »
    Also the bull**** email I've just received from support denying that there is a issue here beggers belief. Just makes you not want to play.

@Lunerdog please post the email with your personal info scrubbed. Thanks.

Here you go...

This is Gamemaster Lyrum from The Elder Scrolls Online Team. Thanks for taking the time to contact us! I'm really sorry that your Destruction Staff skill line rolled back to 47!

We understand that this issue, on the surface, looks like you are losing skill line progression. After investigating this problem, we found that this is purely a visual bug - no one is actually losing skill line experience. This is related to the UI not reporting the correct value from the server.

To explain a little more in depth, both the client and the server independently go through the routine of updating the player's skill experience. In some fairly rare cases they can get slightly out of sync - sometimes they're actually earning slightly more than it looks like, sometimes slightly less.

We are currently working on getting this fixed, and hope to have that fix finished as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding! Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I'll be more than happy to help out.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else written an add on that monitors the skill lines for roll backs? If so, has that add on actually observed a skill rolling back?
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, after levelling Destro Staff to 50 and taking the final passive for the third time in two days I've been rolled back again, this time to 49 but the final passive has stayed put.

Screenshot:

Screenshot_20141007_003908_zps7594c3b5.png
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided not to play after getting a hilarious response from ZoS like "it does not block your progression, you can level your skills up later! I switched from this to that on VR5". Well, some of us does not have that much time. I will keep my subscription one more month, since it's a dead investment for me. It's sad considering how much fun I had playing this game.

I hope this issue gets a fix in the near future and ZoS staff finds better logic to answer these kind of questions.
    Edited by Mitrenga on October 7, 2014 1:53PM
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, if the UI doesn't get correct values from the server, what else could be wrong? My skill points? My damage? My armour? The UI is our ONLY window into reality. If it is wrong, reality IS wrong. If that's just "a visual bug", then so is EVERY bug in the game.

Furthermore, the use of words like "fairly rare cases" and "slightly out of sync" would seem to indicate that you have no clue as to what is really happening. For this many people to even notice this bug, it is not "fairly rare"; and for there to be multiple reports (including myself) of mutiple level changes it is not "slightly out of sync".

I like this game, but the support frustrates me. In a situation like this, you're saying trust us, this isn't a real problem. We'd like too, but you're not showing you understand the actual problem, nor that you care enough to keep us informed. Am I asking too much?
  • bunnytrix
    bunnytrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Is there any word on a fix for this ?
    Players all over the game are losing skill line experience, and having skill lines reset to lower levels constantly. They then have to re level that skill line. Only to have it reset yet again. And then have to re level it again...and again...
    People losing skill line xp in an MMO and no communication from the devs about it. And please do not try to tell us we are not really losing the xp and that it is only an UI issue.
    We require a proper honest response from you about what is being done about this.
    The lack of response about this unacceptable.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    I decided not to play after getting a hilarious response from ZoS like "it does not block your progression, you can level your skills up later! I switched from this to that on VR5". Well, some of us does not have that much time. I will keep my subscription one more month, since it's a dead investment for me. It's sad considering how much fun I had playing this game.

I hope this issue gets a fix in the near future and ZoS staff finds better logic to answer these kind of questions.

That quote from ZoS is ludicrous - If my VR6 (who cannot currently unlock higher level actives and passives in some skill lines due to skill line xp rollbacks), goes up against a VR6 of the same build (who has not experienced this issue and has unlocked those actives and passives), then I am clearly at a disadvantage, both in PvP, and against NPC mobs as I cannot unlock higher level actives and passives so my combat performance becomes less effective as I level up and face higher ranked mobs.

Not only that, but there is a knock-on effect with actives. Sure I'll be able to unlock them later if this is ever fixed, but all the time mine have been bugged, that other hypothetical unaffected VR6 will have been leveling those actives, chosing morphs, and getting them to a high skill rank. I will be lagging behind that other VR6 until I am maybe VR8 while those actives gain points and I can unlock morphs, and I'm going to have to do some significant and very boring grinding to catch up in terms of getting those skills morphed and maxed.

It is not OK because I can level them later, I am gimped now because of this, and I will remain gimped for a while after it is fixed.
    Edited by Epona222 on October 7, 2014 3:23PM

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep this bumped till we get an answer that isn't a complete line of BS trying to hold on to public opinion.
    Edited by Leeric on October 7, 2014 5:26PM
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just hit 33 on destro staff twice. What a #$%& joke.

EDIT: Moments ago I made it to 34 at 2.41%. Reloged, now I'm 33 at 87.58%.
    Edited by kewl on October 7, 2014 7:07PM
  • rwelshmub17_ESO
    rwelshmub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    IMO this us a serious bug that affects the core of the gameplay. If the client and server are not able to sync up then many other areas may run into issues. I mentioned in an earlier post a related issue, recently whenever I finish a quest I get the gold and item but no xp or skill boost, I used to get both. Reading the forum this looks to be a wider issue.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug needs to be fixed, that's for sure. But, why would some of you people continue to level your skills when you know it's just going to reset again? Then you come on the forums and cry that you have to do it "again and again"...? No, you don't have to do it again and again, it's broken. Doing it again and again is your own fault, your skills resetting again and again is also your own fault. You're doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Edited by badmojo on October 8, 2014 12:53AM
    [DC/NA]
  • Sablemane
    Sablemane
    ✭✭✭
    You realize that leveling these skills only requires one of the abilities to be on your bar while playing, yes? @badmojo‌
    Edited by Sablemane on October 8, 2014 12:58AM
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am aware of how leveling works in this game. My post was directed at those people who are actively trying to level up a skill, knowing the system is bugged.
    [DC/NA]
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    Two weeks since this thread was made and still nothing but lip service? Does anyone work at your company ZOS?

If so, could he/she kindly a) Fix this. b) Communicate that the problem is at least understood and that an actual fix is in the works. Two weeks of silence following what was, at best, a dubious explanation, with still no indication of any solution in sight, is just classic ZOS PR. Customers will only tolerate so much evasiveness and dissimulation before they lose patience with you entirely.

FFS. THE PLAYERS IN YOUR MMORPG CANNOT PROPERLY LEVEL THEIR SKILLS. That's like an FPS where I can't aim and shoot; it is fundamental to every player's experience. How long will we have to wait before you pay appropriate attention this? I'm getting rather tired of logging in everyday to find it is Groundhog Day in Tamriel.
    Edited by hammer_fella on October 8, 2014 1:21AM
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    This bug needs to be fixed, that's for sure. But, why would some of you people continue to level your skills when you know it's just going to reset again? Then you come on the forums and cry that you have to do it "again and again"...? No, you don't have to do it again and again, it's broken. Doing it again and again is your own fault, your skills resetting again and again is also your own fault. You're doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    LOL it's somehow my fault for expecting a core game mechanic to function?

Unless you are VR14 with every skill you could possibly want maxed out then leveling IS the game. Aside from not playing at all (a sound alternative) or resigning yourself to the idea of fruitless repetition, then I have no idea what you're advocating -- unless it's moon sugar.
    Edited by hammer_fella on October 8, 2014 2:02AM
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

So what am I supposed to do? I have paid up for a sub, all my characters of all levels are affected by this bug, how am I supposed to not level any of them whilst still making the most of my sub? If you play, you level skills. If that leveling process is bugged, then the only answer is to not play - there is no way to play without leveling skills.

Please tell me how you play, without leveling skills. You can't, there is no way to avoid it. The skill line xp is currently broken, that is not our fault.
    Edited by Epona222 on October 8, 2014 1:40AM

• Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭

So I should pay for something, not use it, and just let the company screw me over? Your done. Pass revoked lol

This is a perfect example of why ZOS won't fix things because people like you who don't have a clue.
    Edited by Leeric on October 8, 2014 3:24AM
  • unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭
    I reported this issue too.

This seems to only happen at VR ranks earning VP.

I concluded the following findings.

For weapons skill line:

You gain xp as intended, but all is deleted when you zone. EXCEPT for the xp you earn by HOLDING the weapon.

For example.
    If you hold a bow. And you ability bar consist of 2 bow skills, 1 DW skill, 2 Resto Staff skill.

You would expect to earn 3x bow xp. 1x DW xp, 2x Resto xp.

That works fine, but when you zone. you lose all the xp you gain from your ability being in hotbar. So you are left with 1x bow xp.

The ability itself will still gain ranks.

For Class skill line:

it is similiar, but it will only save 1 source of xp. so even if you have 5 Ardent flame abilities, earning 5x xp for that line. you will be left with 1x xp gained when you zone.

The abilities itself will still gain ranks as with weapon skills.

I stopped playing my VR char for now because of this. there doesnt seem to be a problem at non-vr though.
  • HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    unlord116 wrote: »
    I reported this issue too.

This seems to only happen at VR ranks earning VP.

I concluded the following findings.

For weapons skill line:

You gain xp as intended, but all is deleted when you zone. EXCEPT for the xp you earn by HOLDING the weapon.

For example.
    If you hold a bow. And you ability bar consist of 2 bow skills, 1 DW skill, 2 Resto Staff skill.

You would expect to earn 3x bow xp. 1x DW xp, 2x Resto xp.

That works fine, but when you zone. you lose all the xp you gain from your ability being in hotbar. So you are left with 1x bow xp.

The ability itself will still gain ranks.

For Class skill line:

it is similiar, but it will only save 1 source of xp. so even if you have 5 Ardent flame abilities, earning 5x xp for that line. you will be left with 1x xp gained when you zone.

The abilities itself will still gain ranks as with weapon skills.

I stopped playing my VR char for now because of this. there doesnt seem to be a problem at non-vr though.

This problem can occur on any character not just VR characters. It is happening on 2 of mine right now. One is only level 6 and the other is 28. It's happening on class and weapon skill lines. And it's not even gaining a fraction of the exp because every time I zone it resets to the exact same value.
  • unlord116
    unlord116
    ✭✭
    Well crap that sucks.

My non vr chars seem to be fine... crossing my fingers they dont get bugged.

On another note. you are saying you lose ALL xp? Even from holding the wep?

It only seems to bug out on the ability bar xp source.

holding and wearing stuff seem to save the xp fine.

• HeX7
    HeX7
    ✭✭✭
    Yes on that character it was all exp. What's odd is destruction staff seemed to level unhindered. With restoration staff being reset repeatedly to the same value.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So...don't play the game? Excellent suggestion!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else written an add on that monitors the skill lines for roll backs? If so, has that add on actually observed a skill rolling back?

Sort of. I use an addon that lets me pin the XP progression bars to the screen. I got to watch it get really confused about my bow level, because I'd lost a level, but the addon was never codded to account for that possibility, so instead, the bar just suddenly filled almost completely, when I switched zones.