Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Latency on the European Megaserver - Looking for Additional Info

• r3dl4nce
    r3dl4nce
    ✭✭
    Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?
    No need to request help, I have no problem.

What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area)
    Europe, Italy, Tuscany

Who is your ISP?
    Tiscali www.tiscali.it ADSL 7Mbit

Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    I never had lot of latency, my experience is only in PvE and I usually don't have lag, game is very fast to respond to input and keypress, only in the last 2 days sometimes during combat I can see a very little delay from keypress to action of the character. But could even be on my end, I'll try to reset ADSL router.
  • Tyranda
    Tyranda
    1. No
    2. Netherlands
    3. Ziggo
    4. Pvp is really bad. But it also happens with all the other activities. Indoors and outdoors. Most of the time the delay is noticable as my character us not responding to the attack skills for a few seconds.
    I also got delays while messaging players (for example guild chat) or npc conversations.
    When all this happens i'm usually able to just keep walking or jumping without a delay. Basic movement works fine.
    Edited by Tyranda on April 30, 2014 9:35AM
  • Victt
    Victt
    LoL EUW Server: 30ms Ping.
    LoL NA Server: 250ms Ping.

Distance effects it Zenimax.
  • ammtgeb17_ESO
    Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue?

No, I haven’t created any ticket yet

What region are you playing the game in?

Portugal

Who is your ISP?

Cabovisão (100Mbit/s)

Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?

Doing quest in early zones (Glenumbra, Stormhaven), public dungeons and interacting with NPC's vendors in the same areas

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EU SWTOR servers located in Ireland- 10 ms latency

"EU" servers located in TEXAS, USA - 200 ms latency....hmmmmmmmmm I -WONDER- What the solution is......
  • giromir86eb17_ESO
    1) Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?

Not yet.

2) What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area)
    Who is your ISP?

Bergamo, Italy.
    Alice 7mb.

3)Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?

Questing/Dungeons, i will avoid pvp until i feel this latency.

• Daendur
    Daendur
    ✭✭✭
    Victt wrote: »
    LoL EUW Server: 30ms Ping.
    LoL NA Server: 250ms Ping.

Distance effects it Zenimax.

You obviously did not experience lag spikes subjects of this thread.
    we are not talking about a 150 - 200 ms ping which is normal, due to the distance; we are talking about 5 - 7 seconds of total freeze (even mobs weren't attacking) every like 10 seconds.

That really seemed more a server side problem than a networking issue.
    Edited by Daendur on April 30, 2014 10:01AM
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?
    Relog usually helped (once I managed to get into game ofc)
    Poland
    Who is your ISP?
    Dialnet
    Cyrodiil, heavy lag spikes during big battles (like lack of ability to use any skill for few to several seconds). Sometimes after crash and relog with many ppl around everything freezes and after several seconds I am disconnected.
  • Muggy
    Muggy
    ✭✭
    Order of magnitude calculation:

europe to texas approximately: 8.5x10^6 m
    speed of light: 3.0x10^8 m/s
    time to travel (latency) for data packet: 2.8x10^(-2) s = 28ms

speed of light ping time (round trip) would be:56ms

Actual ping time : 160ms

So we must have Network losses : 104ms

Conclusion: The distance is less important than the network losses that occur en-route. That said, the network losses are reduced proportionally with the distance just because there is less network to cross :pensive:

Question: If am in a 1on1 fight with another EU player. enemy presses attack that has animation and can be blocked. I can't see this for at least the time of my latency (one way to server) + enemies latency (about the same) or roughly the ping time from me to the server (if he is roughly the same distance away from texas). When I see it, I have some reaction time and then I press block. My enemy is informed of this with same delay I originally had. So my reaction of blocking can't be known (or shown) to him until over half a second has past (160ms+215ms+ 160ms = 535ms)

For us in the EU this 'delay' inherent in the system is longer than average reaction time (average human reaction of 215ms, source: Reaction Time).

Exactly how does an MMO developer code to make this a non-issue as some have claimed in this thread?

I assume the idea is they fudge it or average it out someway that is far cleverer than I am capable of grasping intuitively but, these time delays are real, you can't respond before the action that precipitates a response has happened, simple cause and effect seems to apply.

Can someone explain this to me?
    Edited by Muggy on April 30, 2014 10:53AM
  • Perseas
    Perseas
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Hellas
    OTENET SA

There is a delay in casting spells, battle, if I face an enemy npc and click the spell, it may take 1-2 seconds before it gets started. (thats why I got so many instant deaths? In my screen it looks like 1 hit and I am dead, most of the times).
    Edited by Perseas on April 30, 2014 11:35AM
  • Mothanos
    Mothanos
    ✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous move those servers to EU or reduce the damn gold to repair our gear due to deaths we can do nothing about.
    At V3 running with broken gear = 2 shots.
    Cant do *** with all that lag not even going to mention Cyrodiil as that place is the most *** to play this >>>SUBSCRIPTION<<< game.
    LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG

Ability's might take 5 seconds to go off man wth is this crap ?

Oh man i am filled with rage atm this is going to end realy bad for Zenimax....

People be ready to grab yourself a bag of popcorn and watch how this ends up as SWTOR.
    Free to play in 6 months - i laughed at those people saying it, but its sad as i know they are not far from the truth atm.

Open that datacenter in Europe or expect a massive outflux of ANGRY players.

• Kalston
    Kalston
    ✭✭
    Muggy wrote: »
    Order of magnitude calculation:

europe to texas approximately: 8.5x10^6 m
    speed of light: 3.0x10^8 m/s
    time to travel (latency) for data packet: 2.8x10^(-2) s = 28ms

speed of light ping time (round trip) would be:56ms

Actual ping time : 160ms

So we must have Network losses : 104ms

Conclusion: The distance is less important than the network losses that occur en-route. That said, the network losses are reduced proportionally with the distance just because there is less network to cross :pensive:

Question: If am in a 1on1 fight with another EU player. enemy presses attack that has animation and can be blocked. I can't see this for at least the time of my latency (one way to server) + enemies latency (about the same) or roughly the ping time from me to the server (if he is roughly the same distance away from texas). When I see it, I have some reaction time and then I press block. My enemy is informed of this with same delay I originally had. So my reaction of blocking can't be known (or shown) to him until over half a second has past (160ms+215ms+ 160ms = 535ms)

For us in the EU this 'delay' inherent in the system is longer than average reaction time (average human reaction of 215ms, source: Reaction Time).

Exactly how does an MMO developer code to make this a non-issue as some have claimed in this thread?

I assume the idea is they fudge it or average it out someway that is far cleverer than I am capable of grasping intuitively but, these time delays are real, you can't respond before the action that precipitates a response has happened, simple cause and effect seems to apply.

Can someone explain this to me?

Data does not travel at the speed of light, it's about 200 000 000m/s instead of 300 000 000m/s (with the best fiber optic that is currently being used), there is also no straight link between the US and Europe and there are a lot of repeaters, relays, routers, switches and even countries (if you don't live in the UK/Ireland) in between.

Thus your 56ms is wrong, there are no actual "network losses", but the laws of physics make the best US/EU latency (round trip) 59ms from London to New York (a cable that is used by traders currently, very few ISPs pay to use it as far as I know, most are using the older cables that deliver between 65ms and 75ms from UK/Ireland to NY). And now take into account that you probably don't live where the cable ends and that the servers are actually in Dallas (and not NY) and you will begin to understand why things are the way they are.

And do not bring up the human reaction time into this discussion, it's irrelevant. Network latency adds up with your computer latency (monitor, input devices, GPU, game engine etc) but even a 10-20ms delay is easily felt by a normal human being (with a monitor or mouse for example) because it is, so to speak, "direct". Network latency increases your reaction time, 200-250ms is really slow (why do you think car accidents happen so often?), if you increase that by 100ms or more it's terrible.

Network latency doesn't just affect the responsiveness of your gam anyway (things would be so simple if that was the case...) but also the different calculations that happen in combat etc. More latency also means the server has to work harder (predicting things, correcting mistakes that have happened etc.)

Even when everyone has 30ms on a server there are a lot of network related problems that force game coders to make a lot of compromises and result in abnormalities that humans can see and feel. But when everyone has 150ms + the problems are pretty gross no matter the game.
    Edited by Kalston on April 30, 2014 1:38PM
  • Prog
    Prog
    No.
    Italy
    Who is your ISP?
    Fastweb (20MB)
    During istaniated area i had too much lag. I can't fight against mob or boss.
    Sometimes i had the same problem while questing.
    That is a big problem anyway for me becouse the fight system need zero lag to be performed.
  • Solantis
    Solantis
    No, what's the point? I did not because the server is in US, this is the real problem.

Milan, Italy

Who is your ISP?
    Fastweb (100mbit)

Latency is throughout all aspects, we are connecting to servers halfway across the world, do you really expect the experience to be otherwise?
  • BORODA
    BORODA

Tech support can do nothing here.

Lviv, Ukraine

Who is your ISP?

Vega Telecom. 100 MB/s

All the time mostly. I often miss the blocks because the damage just goes through when I can clearly see the block position already up. I dodge-roll out of AoE attacks but still get hit, etc.
    I haven't been to Cyrodiil yet so can't say.

Edited by BORODA on April 30, 2014 12:55PM
  • mad.hatterrb16_ESO
    mad.hatterrb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

No

France, Martigues

Who is your ISP?

Numéricable, 100 Mb/s

At the beggining only happened in PVP1 week ago, but for around 4 days there's awful latency even in PVE that ruins the few things we could do in the game. And each maintenance for the last 3 days make the latency worse and worse.
    Edited by mad.hatterrb16_ESO on April 30, 2014 1:16PM
  • Muggy
    Muggy
    ✭✭
    @kalston you missed my point, which is the same as yours. I made a quick, back of a cigarette packet calculation of the straight line latency you would get at the speed of light to make the point that you were making; that the latency experienced is largely due to the limitations of the physical network such as speed of light through glass (not in a vacuum), a non-straight line path through the medium, the indirect route a packet actually takes, and the all the network hardware that lies between you and the destination - I called this network losses to 'keep it simple'.

As for reaction time, I mention it because it exists as a component of the total time taken and am making the point that the latency is actually a larger component of total time than reaction time.

I was in fact responding to earlier comments that the speed of light was the limiting factor which is an over simplification.

anyway, hope that's clearer.
    Edited by Muggy on April 30, 2014 1:38PM
  • Jim_Rothery
    Jim_Rothery
    ✭✭
    Kalston wrote: »
    Network latency increases your reaction time, 200-250ms is really slow (why do you think car accidents happen so often?), if you increase that by 100ms or more it's terrible.

Sorry to tell you but the guy before you in this case is right, our responses DO matter, and using car accidents as your supporting evidence wcouldnt be more convoluted and misleading. Sure we adjust our reaction times and we can almost physically feel latency of any magnitued, however this doesnt affect that we have those reaction times and as the guy is saying the latency can mask that reaction, making it difficult to figure out exactly what is happening.

• Kalston
    Kalston
    ✭✭
    Muggy wrote: »
    @kalston you missed my point, which is the same as yours. I made a quick, back of a cigarette packet calculation of the straight line latency you would get at the speed of light to make the point that you were making; that the latency experienced is largely due to the limitations of the physical network such as speed of light through glass (not in a vacuum), a non-straight line path through the medium, the indirect route a packet actually takes, and the all the network hardware that lies between you and the destination - I called this network losses to 'keep it simple'.

As for reaction time, I mention it because it exists as a component of the total time taken and am making the point that the latency is actually a larger component of total time than reaction time.

I was in fact responding to earlier comments that the speed of light was the limiting factor which is an over simplification.

anyway, hope that's clearer.

Ah, okay then my bad.
    Kalston wrote: »
    Network latency increases your reaction time, 200-250ms is really slow (why do you think car accidents happen so often?), if you increase that by 100ms or more it's terrible.
    Sorry to tell you but the guy before you in this case is right, our responses DO matter, and using car accidents as your supporting evidence wcouldnt be more convoluted and misleading. Sure we adjust our reaction times and we can almost physically feel latency of any magnitued, however this doesnt affect that we have those reaction times and as the guy is saying the latency can mask that reaction, making it difficult to figure out exactly what is happening.

I know what you're saying but I'm not saying "it doesn't matter" I'm saying that just because the human reaction time is 200ms (that's only eye/hand coordination afaik though) doesn't mean that latency <200ms is neglibile like so many people on the internet keep repeating (even 100ms or 50ms isn't negligible at all, in fact, especially in a game where you directly control your character).
    That was my point. :)
    Edited by Kalston on April 30, 2014 2:03PM
  • Snowballer23
    1. No
    2. Italy
    3. Alice 7mb
    4. Pvp is really bad, especially when i swap weapon ther is a big delay. In pve too sometimes.

If you want my subscription please fix this.
    Edited by Snowballer23 on April 30, 2014 3:00PM
  • biodragon
    biodragon
    ✭✭
    Ticket: 140419-118408
    Warsaw, Poland
    UPC Polska Sp. z o.o. 120 Mbit/s
    Hunting mobs and in dungeons.
    Edited by biodragon on April 30, 2014 3:02PM
  • emailgosurwb17_ESO
    Lol, notice how low is population of cyordiil now ;(

Would be a shame to fail such a wonderful game...
  • Flametyn
    Flametyn
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, notice how low is population of cyordiil now ;(

Would be a shame to fail such a wonderful game...
    ehm... such a bugged and boring game...
  • scorcher24_ESO
    No, because my own connection is fine. I have no latency issues in other games that have EU Servers that are located in the EU.
    Nuremberg, Germany
    Who is your ISP?
    Deutsche Telekom (http://www.telekom.de/), DSL 16.000

It is worst in Dungeons, but can also happen randomly while questing. But in Group Dungeons it can be really horrible.
    Edited by scorcher24_ESO on April 30, 2014 3:53PM
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax online studios. IF YOU ARE LISTENING. THE ONLY way you are going to retain a lot of EU customers after today is if you release a statement with a SOLID date when the EU servers will actually be migrated to the EU. I am simply trying to save you guys TONS of money.
  • Lifacs
    Lifacs
    ✭✭✭
    It is not just the European Megaservers, it is NA as well.
  • Atreius86
    Atreius86
    Soul Shriven
    laced wrote: »
    Zenimax online studios. IF YOU ARE LISTENING. THE ONLY way you are going to retain a lot of EU customers after today is if you release a statement with a SOLID date when the EU servers will actually be migrated to the EU. I am simply trying to save you guys TONS of money.
    Absolutely agree, zenimax guys open your eyes before it's too late!
    Dont joke with all the European players! A lot of people is seriously considering to leave for lag issues!
  • Xetim
    Xetim
    Soul Shriven
    The symptoms I get are variable, but I usually appear from my client to still be moving about the world, just unable to use skills or sometimes even do a normal L-click attack.

Skills not working when pressed, delayed or not working at all. This includes weapon swap, which sometimes will not work until repeatedly pressed, and then cycles back and forth at additional keypresses.

Normal hits not hitting the target, when from my perspective (usually 3rd person) the cross-hair is definitely centred on the mob's body. Blocks and interrupts delayed or not working.

To answer your questions:

1. No. I think I submitted a feedback on one occasion, but as this is always intermittent I was not convinced that a bug report was appropriate without more specifics than I had / have.

2. South Yorkshire, UK

3. Zen Internet, ADSL2. Normal live connection @ 9.5 - 10 Mbps

4. Occassionally in open world. Say 1-2 times in 4 hours on a good day, up to several times an hour on a bad day.

Frequently in dungeons. This includes all dungeon types - public, group and most particularly, solo. In particular the main story and fighters/mages guild quest lines. I can expect 2-3 deaths caused by skills not working as expected, in addition to any resulting from my bad play! This has been happening in all the solo dungeons since late in the early access period, just before official launch. I first noticed it not long after one of the pre-launch patches, but that may be coincidence.

I have only been actively (beyond the EP HQ area and intro quest) into Cyrodiil on one occasion, so it may have been a bad day, but it was bad enough to put me off going back. Whenever I entered combat with NPCs or players, (15-30 players in the vicinity at a guess) I had constant issues. Even traversing Cyrodill caused issues beyond the normal ones above, including repeated crashes and a couple of small but significant roll-backs.
  • uberowob16_ESO
    While its worrying that they seem to need our help to figure out this issue, this is clearly not related to the servers being US based. The lag has been constant since I logged on tuesday afternoon CET. I assume it was introduced with the failed patch maintenance window. I had zero lag the evening/night before.

Edit: Oslo, Norway here.
    Edited by uberowob16_ESO on April 30, 2014 5:09PM