Latency on the European Megaserver - Looking for Additional Info

• Arragnox
    Arragnox
    Recently, we’ve received reports that some of you have been experiencing extreme latency on the European megaserver. We want you to be able to have the best possible experience in Tamriel , so we’re looking to gather a bit more info to help us research this issue. If you are playing on the European megaserver, please reply to this thread and answer the questions below.
    • Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number? No
    • What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area) Norway, central location
    • Who is your ISP? Telenor
    • Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil? - While doing the last fight in Sovngarde, EXTREME latency issues, to the fact that a swing took 16 seconds when it worked, but mostly nothing happened.
    Thanks in advance for any information you’re able to share with us about this issue!

Options
  • Antilles
    Antilles
    -Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?

No, but I never heard about my paid CE content (treasure maps etc) neither, so why bother?

- What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area)

The Netherlands (NL), Overijssel

-Who is your ISP?

Ziggo

Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?

Questing in Alik'r was the last I did, keys unresponsive but I could walk around, NPC enemies didn't attack or take damage.

I also got a 318 error for excessive messaging??! And got dropped out of the server!
    Edited by Antilles on April 29, 2014 5:20PM
    Options
  • Hisuiko
    Hisuiko
    ✭✭

Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number? 140429-025114

What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area) UK, England, Berkshire (Southeast)
    Who is your ISP? BT Infinity

Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? 18:12 29th April, Alik'r desert

While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    Fighting mobs in desert - lots of complaints in zone - mobs and character freezing for seconds between each attack.

Guildmember on teamspeak complaining of same issue at same time - He was doing Fighters guild quest of Alik'r Desert.
    Options
  • Deamar
    Deamar
    Soul Shriven
    Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue?
    No

What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area)
    Holland

Who is your ISP?
    UPC - 100 MB
    -

Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency?
    While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    Overall at random, and Cyrodill overall with everything.

Lower the number of people per servershard. Or bring more servers online with shorter pingtimes.
    Options
  • Magnuzone
    Magnuzone
    Soul Shriven
    Extreme latency atm.

Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?
    No

Sweden

Who is your ISP?
    BBB

re there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    Everywhere. Lag started off barely noticeable, and just 5 min later I couldn't use any skills what so ever. And got kicked for excessive messaging or something like that while trying to kill a mob.
    Options
  • Dyralvex
    Dyralvex
    Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?
    No

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Who is your ISP?
    UPC

Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    Just questing in Shadowfen when the latency issues hit. The entire zone chat exploded
    Options
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently, we’ve received reports that some of you have been experiencing extreme latency on the European megaserver. We want you to be able to have the best possible experience in Tamriel , so we’re looking to gather a bit more info to help us research this issue. If you are playing on the European megaserver, please reply to this thread and answer the questions below.
    • Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?
    • What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area)
    • Who is your ISP?
    • Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    Thanks in advance for any information you’re able to share with us about this issue!

1. Nope, seems pointless to contact support when almost every single person in zone chat complains about it.

2. South West, England.

3. BT 76Mbps down.

4. Cyrodiil during EU peak time can become unplayable with up to 5 seconds delay during combat. This is not performance related it's latency, lag. We all experience it. Also experiencing it right now in PvE, (the very reason i am replying to this thread). Lag is causing everything in the world to stop for 5-6 seconds.
    Options
  • Takanami
    Takanami
    ✭✭✭
    Recently, we’ve received reports...
    Recently
    Recently

Also please don't insult us like this :s we all know this has been a MAJOR issue since launch, you only decided to address this issue now :'(
    Options
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about just moving the server to the EU?
    Options
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Region: Norway
    Provider: Canal digital
    Internet connection speed: 70 MB/sec

It is worst in Cyrodiil and populated places, where it can get horrible at times but there is always atleast some Weapon Swap delay and ability lag because of clunky combat animations on top of the lag. You need to realise some of it is caused by poor combat ability/weapon swap coding as well, not just latency

With my 70 MB/sec connection the ping to your servers is NOWHERE as good as the ping I am getting from other places (my ping is only 11 on norwegian sites, but 150-200+ on your ESO server)
    Edited by monkeymystic on April 29, 2014 6:05PM
    Options
  • milaan_muc
    milaan_muc
    ✭✭✭
    Im experiencing high latency since about 2 days.

Provider: Global Access (AS15960) directly connected to Level(3) in Germany.
    When: While Questing in Greenshade.
    Options
  • NoZof
    NoZof

No

Germany, Frankfurt/Main

Who is your ISP?

Unitymedia 50Mbit

Since 2 Hours everywhere you go on the EU server you have a generel lag of min. 2 seconds.
    Options
  • Nevril
    Nevril
    No

Pisa, Italy

Who is your ISP?
    Fastweb (20 Mbps, low latency setup)

It started simply while running in Rift, waited sometime, changed area, but nothing so I logged off.
    Options
  • Turhapuro
    Turhapuro
    Soul Shriven
    •Have you reach out our Support Team yet to request help for this issue? And if so, what is your support ticket number?
    No, I haven´t
    •What region are you playing the game in? (Your country and specific area)
    Finland, Tuusula
    •Who is your ISP?
    Telia
    •Are there any specific moments you recall experiencing extreme latency? While questing? While running dungeons? While in Cyrodiil?
    Yes to all of those situations.

Combat has unacceptable latency most of the time and game is pretty much unplayable during peak hours.
    Move the EU servers to Europe.
    I can only speak for myself but I for sure won´t pay subscription for long for game I can´t play.
    Options
  • RaZSm
    RaZSm
    Soul Shriven
    Ive been battling all night bad lag , im used to it to a certain extent but this is really bad , I have an ingame server clock mod and the seconds are ticking in an interval of 3-5 sec a second :(
    Really Starting to dread "maintenance" days
    Edited by RaZSm on April 29, 2014 7:14PM
    Options
  • degb16_ESO
    1,2,3 and 4: move the server to the EU please
    Options
  • Nimerian
    Nimerian
    ✭✭✭
    This is really bad guys.... they are asking us things so they can fix it NOW? That means that the current situation is permanent??????? If that's the case consider the whole European player-base GONE within a day. please
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nimerian wrote: »
    This is really bad guys.... they are asking us things so they can fix it NOW? That means that the current situation is permanent??????? If that's the case consider the whole European player-base GONE within a day. please
    I have a 3 month sub, so I have to deal with the payment, but I am currently back to SWTOR atm, at least they have European servers.....IN Europe....

Options
  • Harakh
    Harakh
    ✭✭✭
    i think if you would move EU Megaserver to EU 80% of the issues here in the thread are gone.
    Die Welt in einem Sandkorn sehen
    Und den Himmel in einer wilden Blume;
    Die Unendlichkeit in der Handfläche halten
    Und die Ewigkeit in einer Stunde.
    Options
  • Nimerian
    Nimerian
    ✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »
    Nimerian wrote: »
    I have a 3 month sub, so I have to deal with the payment, but I am currently back to SWTOR atm, at least they have European servers.....IN Europe....
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna start abandoning ship too.
    Options
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please move the servers to Europe like you promised. This will remedy most of the problems. The server location itself is at the heart of the problem. I can't even swap weapons during combat due to lag.
    Options
  • zazamalek
    zazamalek
    ✭✭✭
    Harakh wrote: »
    i think if you would move EU Megaserver to EU 80% of the issues here in the thread are gone.

I don't blame you for not understanding different types of lag, I really don't. From a man who has 400ms to NA you, have it wrong.

Moving to EU is going to solve nothing. This is SERVER-SIDE LAG. Solving the issues they are asking you about will. Cooperate. Raging at them by regurgitating stupid arguments is going to get us nowhere.
    Options
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, there are similar latency issues for me on the NA server (connecting from west coast), just not as bad. Lag is particularly noticeable in Daggerfall city in Glenumbra (just running around), moreso than in any of the other L5-15 regions, I suspect because there is only the one bank there for the entire region, and there is probably a lot of stuff to download in the background before animations smooth out. (It's quite funny seeing straight-legged horses sliding around without riders, as if on rollerblades). Combat is also sometimes noticeably laggy in dungeons, but usually still responsive enough that you have a chance (1-2 seconds delay rather than 5+). I have not been to Cyrodiil yet, so can't comment there.
    Options
  • zazamalek
    zazamalek
    ✭✭✭
    FYI, there are similar latency issues for me on the NA server

This. EU will move to EU. EU being in NA is not the cause of this much SKILL LAG a.k.a. SERVER SIDE LAG.
    Options
  • Harakh
    Harakh
    ✭✭✭
    zazamalek wrote: »

I don't blame you for not understanding different types of lag, I really don't. From a man who has 400ms to NA you, have it wrong.

Moving to EU is going to solve nothing. This is SERVER-SIDE LAG. Solving the issues they are asking you about will. Cooperate. Raging at them by regurgitating stupid arguments is going to get us nowhere.

Thats not true it is a connection issue and/or a server issue it can be both, i dont raged in my post.

Die Welt in einem Sandkorn sehen
    Und den Himmel in einer wilden Blume;
    Die Unendlichkeit in der Handfläche halten
    Und die Ewigkeit in einer Stunde.
    Options
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I notice lag regularly in the following two situations.

Fighting inside keeps in Cyrodiil when there's a large number of people and many abilities going off this usually results in everyone freezing whilst I can still run around and then crash.

Swapping weapons in combat, I'll click nothing will happen, I'll click again and the weapon will swap twice.

One thing I've also noticed is that sometimes in these situations my graphics card will max out sometimes for no obvious reason.

For an action based game even without excessive lag latency of 150-300ms is too slow to play effectively. My experience with the more forgiving tab target systems in SWTOR show me that anything over 100ms and your gaming experience drops off sharply.
    Options
  • zazamalek
    zazamalek
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not true it is a connection issue and/or a server issue it can be both, i dont raged in my post.

You didn't rage. Agreed. Seriously, I am in a situation where I always lag - and I can tell where it's coming from. I can tell that it's 400ms to the server and I can tell whether it's 30s worth of command queues on the server. It's 30s of command queues on the server.

The lag to EU is horrid, don't get me wrong. This has nothing to do with that, though.

EU is going to move to EU, eventually. If we keep insisting that the "EU in NA" is the problem we are going to have our servers moved to EU and still have the exact same problem. Be honest and when we get our servers moved to EU we will have a smooth experience. Don't waste their time (we need to nag them, yes - EU in NA is unacceptable) with this while there are greater issues.

Accept reality and identify the problems. EU in NA is a unacceptable problem, but it's simply not the differentiating problem in this situation.

Give them the information that they need and move on. Stop providing solutions. You are complaining about the rats in the sewers while Godzilla is currently wrecking the place up.

Maybe they should just move EU to EU so that people can focus on that instead (and find out, to their disappointment, that 30s server lag is 30s server lag).
    Edited by zazamalek on April 29, 2014 9:16PM
    Options
  • Avorniel
    Avorniel
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I should post mine as this is normal for me but anyways I get lag..

Mine is just having the location in NA, as I hit between 270 ms - 350 ms
    If I connect to a EU server of any mmo I get 66ms - 70ms
    I have low speed line max 2mb due to rural location in Oxfordshire,England supplied by British Telecom
    Don't need to contact Support as the above is normal .

So just move the server to the EU as you said you would do ASAP.
    Edited by Avorniel on April 29, 2014 10:02PM
    Options
  • Kalston
    Kalston
    ✭✭
    zazamalek wrote: »

You didn't rage. Agreed. Seriously, I am in a situation where I always lag - and I can tell where it's coming from. I can tell that it's 400ms to the server and I can tell whether it's 30s worth of command queues on the server. It's 30s of command queues on the server.

The lag to EU is horrid, don't get me wrong. This has nothing to do with that, though.

EU is going to move to EU, eventually. If we keep insisting that the "EU in NA" is the problem we are going to have our servers moved to EU and still have the exact same problem. Be honest and when we get our servers moved to EU we will have a smooth experience. Don't waste their time (we need to nag them, yes - EU in NA is unacceptable) with this while there are greater issues.

Accept reality and identify the problems. EU in NA is a unacceptable problem, but it's simply not the differentiating problem in this situation.

Give them the information that they need and move on. Stop providing solutions. You are complaining about the rats in the sewers while Godzilla is currently wrecking the place up.

Maybe they should just move EU to EU so that people can focus on that instead (and find out, to their disappointment, that 30s server lag is 30s server lag).

I know what you're saying but the location just makes things worse, the server-side issues WILL be less noticeable with EU servers (simple maths). Of course they won't magically go away but since those are issues encountered by NA players as well (it seems) why make a thread specifically dedicated for the EU megaserver then? I'm guessing the NA megaserver is a lot less hammered than the EU one due to population alone (unless THAT many EU players have left already lol) so that COULD be an explanation (just could, I'm making a lot of wild guesses here).

But the issues aren't purely server-side, don't fool yourself. The further the servers are from your country the more likely you are to encounter routing issues, packet loss etc. Even in the most developed countries ISPs are often complete arseholes when it comes to international peering using the cheapest links possible and all that crap. And that is probably why Zeni made this very thread where they ask us where we are from and what provider we are using (they are acting like it's not their servers faults but the ISPs, which it certainly IS for a good part and is exactly why US servers for EU gamers are a terrible idea in the first place)
    Options
  • Dukinie
    Dukinie
    - As it seems to have only really gotten bad this week (Had spikes prior doing primetime, but with the US located servers etc, that has been expected)

- DK, Middle of the country.

Who is your ISP?
    - Yousee, cable connection.

- It has gotten really bad this week in PVE, skills not working, animations not triggering, having to push esc. in the middle of combat to "refresh" before being able to attack etc. Also it's happening pretty much anywhere now, especially if there's a handful of other people around.
    - Just now I got kicked for excessive msg'in, after the game hung on me for 30 seconds and I was instant killed by some nearby mobs. "Hung" as in a no response from the game server at all.

It's actually getting to a point now, that its a total game-breaker. Dying 2-3 times every 30 mins because combat "breaks down" is going to turn people away really fast.
    Options