Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rollback yes or no

• Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    sonicwylde wrote: »
    Are those of us, like me, who did not use the guild bank, nor duped anything going to get our accounts back? I was playing fine up midnight last night, then tried to log in bout an hour ago and was told my account was suspended. I have no clue why. No I did not use the guild bank, I bought maybe one ninroot off the guild store. Everything my characters have was either crafted, loot drops, from chests. I never had duplicate anything received.

I been waiting for someone to talk to me, or call me, or something.

I feel ya bro. I'm in the same boat. I have not even received an email yet saying I was banned. I appealed my ban for phone support and email 2 hours ago. I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait.
    I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

• Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

We're trying to get the word out about the action we took today, in regards to this issue. Here's what we've posted in a few other threads:

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly, and have since fixed the issue. We have banned the game account(s) for those who abused the exploit.

We want to thank everyone who reported this issue to us. In the future, should you identify what you think could be an exploitable bug, please send it to us in-game via /help or in our help center: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask

Thank you! Keep up the good work!!

• bwilson.homeb16_ESO
    Hi folks,

We're trying to get the word out about the action we took today, in regards to this issue. Here's what we've posted in a few other threads:

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly, and have since fixed the issue. We have banned the game account(s) for those who abused the exploit.

You banned FAR more than that @zos_jessicafolsom ...

And now @zos_jasonL is saying 'if we would like to submit an appeal' we should submit a ticket and wait patiently in a queue until they get to ours in the 100s and 100s also erroneously banned.

LIKE to appeal? No, I'd *LIKE* to be able to play the game I paid good money for during this 4 day weekend please, seeing as how I've done absolutely nothing wrong.

Oh, and while you're processing my appeal and checking my account for duped items, maybe you could make a note of all the items, gold and vault slots which have been missing for ages and maybe replace them too? Seeing as how you'll have all my logs to hand to check I wasn't duping. I'd hate to *duplicate* checking my logs too...

• Saint-Ange
    Saint-Ange
    ✭✭✭
    The roll back is the only healthy option. It's hard, sounds hard, but on the long term it's the best to do especially when done so close from the release.
    Zenimax will loose more people by leaving the game like it is now than if applying a rollback. That will be a good advertising. Some will love, some will hate, but in the end every body will speak about ESO.

Edit: not to mention Zenimax will avoid all the polemic about banned accounts for no good reason on the way.
    Edited by Saint-Ange on April 18, 2014 10:44PM
  • UnknownMage
    A rollback sounds like the dumbest idea ever. For what purpose?
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    CrazyRoyal wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.

I know there is already many post on the forum about this issue iam sorry to make a new one.

I know i will get lots of people over me that will complain about it.

i think i thought of the best solution the can do.

1. Ban all the people who participate on those exploits.
    2. Do a complete rollback.
    3. Give all the other people 1 free month game time again.

What i think this way everyone who did participate to the exp[loits get punnished for it.
    And people who didnt use the exploits are getting a month free game time and used the last weeks as some kinda Open Beta.

This game will be broken because this exploit already and it will hard maybe impossible to get it back because to many people are already involved with this.

Lots of people walking with legendary gear ...doing like they didnt know make me laugh tho.

anyway i think this is best solution for everyone.
    No way to tell who actually used exploits and who didn't.

Doing a roll back on a live mmo is wrong those of us who leveled to vr content legit would be furious and im sure most would just immediately quit. In short rolling back servers to that extent on a live server is an mmo suicide.

Banning people in that level with out the ability to actually prove any thing would incur a lawsuit and could quote litterally kill this game..

You're angry people got a head of you, you can say other wise but thats the only reason you would post this. My advice to any one just starting out on an mmo is to learn the game backwards and forwards.

Once you do that you'll blow through levels like they are nothing in all mmos because when it comes down to the basics they are all the same lol
    Brave New World.
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

to delete the massive amounts of gold/items injected into the game from exploiting
  • Saint-Ange
    Saint-Ange
    ✭✭✭
    Inflation, PvP campaigns already influenced (dupe of siege weapons, forward camps, Grand Soul Gems), Alliance Points, et cetera, it's all messed up and only those who profited of it would be against the rollback.

Also that's the way serious companies act. It happened in many games, lastly in Guild Wars 2.
    Edited by Saint-Ange on April 18, 2014 11:05PM
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO

forgive me if i dont believe this part of your post, but i really dont.
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭

Yes there is. It was 100% traceable. They know who did it. This was a very easy dupe to do, and a very easy one to trace because it involved something that the server logs on a very regular basis.

• RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of like this can go in and ediit chars also who have cheated or have tainted gold and take those items.

They can also ban since its against the TOS. Everything can be traced and edited, a complete rollback is unneeded.
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    Vodkaphile wrote: »

Yes there is. It was 100% traceable. They know who did it. This was a very easy dupe to do, and a very easy one to trace because it involved something that the server logs on a very regular basis.

You're assuming every one thats been banned has duped. Or every one that has better items then you has duped. Thats is a dangerously inaccurate assumption.
    Brave New World.
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭
    Saint-Ange wrote: »
    Inflation, PvP campaigns already influenced (dupe of siege weapons, forward camps, Grand Soul Gems), Alliance Points, et cetera, it's all messed up and only those who profited of it would be against the rollback.

Also that's the way serious companies act. It happened in many games, lastly in Guild Wars 2.

Serious companies would not rollback over a million players to entertain the ridiculous notions of a very vocal minority. I dont want a rollback because it would be a waste of my time. Not because I'm guilty, which is a really stupid assumption - because I've invested time into a game, made progress I dont want to lose, etc.

This is being blown up for obvious reasons. If you were legitimately innocently banned, you would go through the motions of innocence. Not come to the forums demanding a refund, saying how terrible the game and ZoS is, claiming to be innocent and giving us a run down of what you do in game. Those are the actions of someone guilty.
  • Saint-Ange
    Saint-Ange
    ✭✭✭
    Serious companies would not rollback
    They all did it. WoW GW2 Aion Allods LotRO EvE. All did it, make you research, it's easy to do. I wish you speak about what you know please and if you don't know do not make affirmations which are wrong.

Edit: on a less dramatic note, two weeks of gameplay it's nothing for a MMORPG.
    Edited by Saint-Ange on April 18, 2014 11:26PM
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭
    Saint-Ange wrote: »
    Serious companies would not rollback
    They all did it. WoW GW2 Aion Allods LotRO EvE. All did it, make you research, it's easy to do. I wish you speak about what you know please and if you don't know do not make affirmations which are wrong.

Blizzard's rollback for WoW - unintentional hardware problem
    GW2 rollback - unintentional hardware problem
    Aion rollback - specific to one server, and was an unintended reward bug that distributed 30 trillion Kinah to players that WEREN'T exploiting.
    LotRo - unintentional storage crashes
    EvE - I dont know anything about a rollback for this game.

Now compare that to an intentional rollback to unban players (the majority of which who are guilty through a very traceable exploit) that would WILLFULLY (not accidentally) rollback every single player in the game.

Do your own research?
  • Soliduparrow
    Soliduparrow
    ✭✭✭
    Being a community manager for an mmo launch must be one of the most stressful jobs in the world. All the customers attack you and managers are wondering why you haven't fixed everything wrong with the launch. I'd rather be a prison guard.
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why an unnecessary rollback is even in question. Maybe I missed something. Here's what I've gathered so far:

People who exploited are banned. Innocent people are accidentally banned. Innocent people were given directions to prove innocence. Gold sellers are still... around... but they always will be. Game loading times have been awesome since this Friday (18th) patch. My gold is missing from my bank and that sucks, but I also understand that all that gold is fake digital game gold that has no inherent value... because it is digital game gold.

All of those things you got that are missing from your banks can be acquired again in some way in a matter of hours. You didn't "lose" anything but code that doesn't belong to you in the first place. Even if they did a rollback, worst that happens is you get to experience the game a second time... or did you not really experience the game? How bad is it REALLY that you lost some crafting materials, some fake gold and maybe a quest trophy here and there? So bad that you call for a rollback on the entire server?

Forgive me for not understanding the issue clearly- specifically related to any rollback- because it's difficult to sift facts from those who are complaining and slamming their hammy fists on every keyboard they see and those who understand how new technology sometimes messes up in a game that's barely three weeks old. Zenimax is working on it. Chill the f*ck out already. It's not the end of the world that sometimes programming code gets exploited and broken. That's what maintenance is for. Devs have said time and time again there's no instant fix. Calm down. Just enjoy the game as it is. Come roleplay with me or something while we wait it out like adults who understand technology.
  • zseals
    zseals
    When we say "Roll Back", do we mean a roll back as in our level? I don't see that as being too effective as in-game currency doesn't really play a huge role in leveling our combat... I can see a role back in possible professions...

In all honesty their isn't much we can do at this point. The damage has taken it's toll and the duplicated items, cash, etc has already been laundered deep into the game. The only real effective way to handle it would to completely clean every character of items and gold and start off fresh. I know a lot of us have worked hard for our wealth, but sometimes we must pay the price for others actions. I don't really know a more effective approach that would go into this. Banning individuals for exploiting this bug is just the first step. I hope more action is involved that does not include role backs of our characters combat levels.
  • Alierion_ESO
    In my opinion I believe this launch was pretty bad. Maybe not the worst, but pretty awful. Whenever there is a large (mostly loud) group of people asking for a rollback or a wipe something serious has happened. I have quite a few characters between lvl 4-37. If a rollback or wipe were to take place I'd be 100% for it. The game is incredibly fun and the quests are creative and intriguing. For a game breaking dupe bug like this to run rampant since release something needs to be done.

Just because people have been banned doesn't mean that the problem has been fixed. The game has been infected and all they've done is put a band-aid on it hoping to clean the wound. Ever hear of six degrees of Kevin Bacon? That's pretty much what we have here. Everyone is intertwined somehow with the dupe bug one way or another, knowingly or not.

They need to act on this quickly and come out to the community with their plan going forward. All silence will do is allow that wound to continue to fester and have their already shaky integrity take another blow.
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    in neverwinter, they refused to do a rollback and their economy was borked because of it. I quit it after that, after having blown real money on zen that I'd planned to make profit off down the road as an economy was established (that would never have been as the rates were totally effed from that point forevermore). a rollback of about a week, or on the softer end about 2 days would *** us all off but it would at least soften the blow a bit.

on neverwinter, they cut what about 6 hours out of a whole day or 2 people were doing it and pretty much allowed the biggest users to keep dozens of mule accounts while basically stripping the little bit the little guys did toward the end lol. poor b*tards i was thinking back then. so many people quit because of the lack of a real rollback.

to be honest though, I don't think it'll hurt this game too much because of the lack of a global AH, which has actually encouraged guild hoppers to thieve as I've heard of some already doing that to get ahold of mats and gold quickly. between the hefty gold sinks, and few ways to make quick gold in amodern fashion beyond vendoring things for bare minimal value, i honestly can't blame the people who were trying to make their repair money on that long as they didn't go hog wild and break the bank.

Just think about it, you pretty much have to stand in town spending valuable time to either buy or to to sell/trade anything. the worst this would do is make mats more easily available to those people who have a couple of hours to waste sitting in town trying to talk over the gold sellers. what would have broken the game was done since launch and is likely the reason we have seen so much damn gold seller spam since the early access even.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on April 19, 2014 12:36AM
  • sgtalexinsidpreeb18_ESO
    vote no for rollback... people were glitching they got band... have not seen huge inflation so no reason for rollback...
  • Alierion_ESO
    vote no for rollback... people were glitching they got band... have not seen huge inflation so no reason for rollback...

Hopefully they get Nickelback'd.
  • Tetrasoli
    Tetrasoli
    ✭✭✭
    zseals wrote: »
    When we say "Roll Back", do we mean a roll back as in our level? I don't see that as being too effective as in-game currency doesn't really play a huge role in leveling our combat... I can see a role back in possible professions...

No, it means roll the server back to a state at some point in time prior to the exploit. Basically it's like a system restore from a snapshot of the game's database at that time. It's just going back in time. Depending on how far back the roll back would be, a level 50+ could theoretically log in and find their character is now level 15 again with only the items they had at that time.

Edited by Tetrasoli on April 19, 2014 1:04AM
  • Zikknt
    Zikknt
    As some one that was not really personally effected by this, a roll back would not be ideal. BUT if they were to roll back the servers to fix the economy that sound to be in disarray, I would much rather they do it now while the game is still new, credit accounts with the game time spent, and get it over with.

I would much rather rebuild my account now then have to do it in later on and I would prefer that when I get to end game content that the economy isn't so inflated that it will be a struggle to catch up to those that were able to reach this content well before me.
    Edited by Zikknt on April 19, 2014 1:04AM
  • Moobs
    Moobs
    ✭✭✭
    Eh I think it's not necessary but I wouldn't mind recreating my main to a saucy female redguard..... but then I'd spend too much time on the character selection screen or dancing naked.
  • Selthius
    Selthius
    Delete everyone's gear/drops/gold and keep the character's levels after fixing drop rates and exploits and the economy will fix itself in a week. Ban the exploiters. There ya have it, fixed economy and it gets rid of the people who try and ruin it. Games new enough to do it and legitimate gear and drops are easy to find/make and it'll eliminate ill gotten gains that couldn't and won't be traced.
  • Selthius
    Selthius
    And to everyone who has been banned but didn't dupe: if you farmed rare motifs by server jumping, bought things for cheap that usually aren't (you should know legendary items shouldn't be so readily available and cheap and you shouldn't support those who do cheat) or anything else that has been discussed as "on the border of breaking the ToS" then yeah, you caught a ban for being reckless. Or you got hacked and they did it for you. Either way, play smart or use a solid password and don't buy gold.
  • xryanvb16_ESO
    xryanvb16_ESO
    ✭✭
    acted quickly..... it was going strong since beta from what i hear.
  • danteafk
    danteafk
    ✭✭
    I`d also prefer a rollback to release. So many XP/AP exploited and got so far ahead.
  • felixgamingx1
    felixgamingx1
    ✭✭✭✭
    More people must be banned!