Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rollback yes or no

• Tetrasoli
    Tetrasoli
    ✭✭✭
    Reports now of players who exploited the dupe bug extensively NOT receiving bans.
  • Experten
    Experten
    Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly

This has been know since before the launch. So to say you identified it yesterday is just a straight up lie. With that said, if you think you acted quickly our perception of time is severely different.

This is a major issue. Not just with the bug being so exploitable and game breaking, but with the trust we put in you as a brand. A sneaky little apology on the forum, and trying to sweep it under the rug won't cut it for most people.
  • RichJMoney
    RichJMoney
    Soul Shriven
    Hi folks,

We're trying to get the word out about the action we took today, in regards to this issue. Here's what we've posted in a few other threads:

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly, and have since fixed the issue. We have banned the game account(s) for those who abused the exploit.

We want to thank everyone who reported this issue to us. In the future, should you identify what you think could be an exploitable bug, please send it to us in-game via /help or in our help center: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask

You discovered the dupe yesterday?

Why not on Feb 7th When it was reported during the stress test weekend? Why not 7 days ago when LostScot made a post on the bug forums about it which was removed by a moderator? Why not 2 days ago when it was publicly posted on YouTube?

ZeniMax did NOT act quickly with regard to this bug. Players made every effort to report its existence LONG before it became widespread, but somewhere along the lines there was some failure of communication. THAT is my problem with this issue.

My entire thoughts about the issue were posted here on reddit this morning.
  • hukaka
    hukaka
    rolling back will make this game a milestone in industry
  • Tetrasoli
    Tetrasoli
    ✭✭✭
    hukaka wrote: »

Never seen a milestone with a negative number on it...

• hukaka
    hukaka
    Tetrasoli wrote: »
    hukaka wrote: »

Never seen a milestone with a negative number on it...

will be funny to have one
  • jaynielson
    loops73 wrote: »
    YES..roll it all the way back to launch

Go one step further and roll back to when I purchased the game and give me a refund.

• UnnamedUnknown
    Rollback so all those Daggerfall Covenant individuals can not use the EXP exploit in their zone, as they have been doing. That is, if the exploit has yet to even be fixed...
  • redwall
    redwall
    this bug was in the beta... reported countless of times
  • LadyNerevar
    LadyNerevar
    ✭✭✭
    Identified is not the same as discovered. After a bug has been reported, it has to be verified by their QA folks, and a solution has to be found. "Yesterday we identified" more than likely means "yesterday we were finally able to pin down the cause of this bug, extensively reproduce and document it, and implement the complex code solution needed without causing other bugs or breaking things."

There isn't some massive cover up or malicious ploy. It's something called limited man hours and a problem that is likely far more complex than it seems to the end user.
    Edited by LadyNerevar on April 19, 2014 5:33AM
    Librarian at the Imperial Library
  • Equinox_Shift
    Equinox_Shift
    Soul Shriven
    I certainly hope they do not rollback. I've worked hard to level up my character, and I personally do not care about the dupers.

If I get punished by losing levels I've worked towards, because of another person, I will want a refund, as I'm sure other people will as well.

Don't punish the innocent.
  • luke.glanfordrwb17_ESO
    Lol. "Acted quickly". I hope they fix this mess. So much faith has been lost, even more with these "identified yesterday" and "acted quickly" comments when nothing could be further from the truth.
  • epoling
    epoling
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, how does any of this affect a non-existent economy? There isn't really one in this game. This is a dumb argument made by people who have decided a rollback would be fun for them.

Second, unless only one side out of the three could actually take advantage of the duping bugs it was still a fair fight. Unfortunately cheating is not limited to just one alliance. Yeah, some individuals might have a tougher time than others but those people will always whine when there are people with better gear than them.

Yes, cheating is bad, but if you are somehow using this as an excuse to quit this game you really didn't like it in the first place. There is nothing these folks did that honestly effects you unless you want it to. I have yet to read a reason for being so upset that made sense when thought about logically. True, my characters are level 10 and 11, wearing gear I crafted from stuff I harvested myself, so I haven't had any reason to worry about it anyway.
  • UnnamedUnknown
    Ban everyone who used the DC EXP exploit to hit veteran rank status and higher while you are in the whole banning process phase :)
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this game has little pocket economies it hasn't effected the ones I am in at all.
  • Hyperian
    Hyperian
    Saint-Ange wrote: »
    A rollback sounds like the dumbest idea ever. For what purpose?
    Inflation, PvP campaigns already influenced (dupe of siege weapons, forward camps, Grand Soul Gems), Alliance Points, et cetera, it's all messed up and only those who profited of it would be against the rollback.

Also that's the way serious companies act. It happened in many games, lastly in Guild Wars 2.

I disagree, I actually think those who duped and cheated are scared they will be caught and want a rollback to avoid being banned. All us honest people would prefer to keep all the stuff we worked hard for--ok?

• Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    Rollback so all those Daggerfall Covenant individuals can not use the EXP exploit in their zone, as they have been doing. That is, if the exploit has yet to even be fixed...

Yep, but so far, no MMO has had a late launch to my knowledge. Once the launch date is announced, it's march or die. So if they did not manage to find how to fix it before launch, that's pretty much tough luck, the product has to ship to the seller before the launchdate, worldwide... So that shaves a couple more days to work things out.
    "In 2014, a possible bot was sent to coldharbour by a military GM for a crime she didn't commit. This argonian promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Ebonheart underground. Today, still wanted by the developers she survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a bot problem, if no one else can bite you, and if you can find her....maybe you can hire The SQUISHY."
  • Emperor_Maximus
    Emperor_Maximus
    Soul Shriven
    Hi folks,
    We're trying to get the word out about the action we took today, in regards to this issue. Here's what we've posted in a few other threads:

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly, and have since fixed the issue. We have banned the game account(s) for those who abused the exploit.

We want to thank everyone who reported this issue to us. In the future, should you identify what you think could be an exploitable bug, please send it to us in-game via /help or in our help center: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask
    Pist off. My ass you banned people. It was a bug that was known to you guys since BETA and you did nothing about it, guess what now? You idiots are going to lose half of your playerbase. Banning people is not enough. We need a total rollback or eco reset.
    Edited by Emperor_Maximus on April 19, 2014 7:20AM
  • jbrinksub17_ESO
    Lol "Yesterday" try two months ago like every other bug you launched with.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Identified is not the same as discovered. After a bug has been reported, it has to be verified by their QA folks, and a solution has to be found. "Yesterday we identified" more than likely means "yesterday we were finally able to pin down the cause of this bug, extensively reproduce and document it, and implement the complex code solution needed without causing other bugs or breaking things."

There isn't some massive cover up or malicious ploy. It's something called limited man hours and a problem that is likely far more complex than it seems to the end user.

Did none of you read this post. It takes more time than you realize to fix a bug. Once it gets reported they HAVE to try and reproduce it. Then work on fixing it which can take sometime.
  • soulf666
    soulf666
    ✭✭
    It's funny how everyone who got banned in a ban wave for some exploit turns out to be innocent :smile: Ask anyone who got banned and he will tell you a life story of how he clearly didn't exploit and it was all other ppls fault :blush:
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    It's too complicated for some ppl.
    They're pissed off ( dunno why zeni is swinging banhammer ) so it's drama time
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    No rollbacks ffs. Just ban the suckers and that is it!
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Damia wrote: »

solution 2
    don't rollback
    remove all gold in game, leave 10k per char= removes gold dupes

remove all items and crafting items above blue(artisan) quality = removes all dupes and prevents new dupes.

if none of this happens I will cancel and move on to another game that does not have this issues. and so will many others, I will not waist my time playing a game that I have 0 change of even getting close to hackers and dupers.

So each person can only have one of each item, so how exactly do people fully kit out their characters.

Edited by AlexDougherty on April 19, 2014 9:16AM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nordak wrote: »
    The best overall solution in my opinion is to simply permanently ban anyone who used the dupe bug (filtering out accidental ones that did it for example literally once or twice on junk items in a big guild bank on different items, which could legitimately have happened due to how this bug actually worked) explicitly.

The second-best solution, would be to backtrack all the transactions resulted from duped items, rollback the trades only (individual database changes), and leave everything else alone, while banning all of the exploiters/dupers permanently still.
    I can go for this one, sounds fair and reasoned out.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • soulf666
    soulf666
    ✭✭

remove all items and crafting items above blue(artisan) quality = removes all dupes and prevents new dupes.

if none of this happens I will cancel and move on to another game that does not have this issues. and so will
    many others, I will not waist my time playing a game that I have 0 change of even getting close to hackers and dupers.

This one is so funny.

By now many ppl are VRs already, and have over 30-50k gold if they weren't wasting all their gold in guild stores buying trash epics they would throw away 2-3 levels later, and if they were actually deconstructing stuff and leveling their professions - most likely they will have a decent amount of purple gear too and legendary upgrade reagents in banks.

So this "solution" sounds like it was produced by an average amateur mmo player who can't see past his nose and evaluate current situation in game :wink: Remember - if you don't have gold and high quality items it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Many people play better and have better judgement, and by those means have accumulated a fair amount of wealth.

The real solution would be as someone suggested - ban those who exploited, remove duped items.
  • Perseas
    Perseas
    ✭✭✭
    Hey I am VR4 and my gear is green and blue... lol But I hard earned 5-6 purple items for 40lvl characters, I saved them for my alts... lol
    soulf666 wrote: »

if none of this happens I will cancel and move on to another game that does not have this issues. and so will
    many others, I will not waist my time playing a game that I have 0 change of even getting close to hackers and dupers.

The real solution would be as someone suggested - ban those who exploited, remove duped items.

I really feel sad for the little kids, who got exited from people who love to cheat.
    Edited by Perseas on April 19, 2014 9:59AM
  • South_of_Heaven
    South_of_Heaven
    ✭✭✭
    soulf666 wrote: »

It's funny how people think this will/can happen.

• zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    zhevon wrote: »
    It does explain some stuff -

Why opening the guild bank usually took forever.

Why many were claiming that there was plenty of money out there - for things like horses and respecs and bank slots.

I was wrong - opening the guild bank still takes forever.
    Edited by zhevon on April 19, 2014 10:41AM
  • xPuppetx
    xPuppetx
    ✭✭
    But how would a rollback solve anything?

I agree that duping is 32 flavors of ****** up, but why should my toons lose levels, money and resources because of the actions of others? Punish the people responsible and let the rest of us be.