The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

(*100% FIXED tested)Zenimax's Solution to Patch fix. (GM posted) [ error 209 ]

• tdgeddesub17_ESO
    my version files were already missing, which directory do they normally reside in?
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dreez wrote: »
    Kazarr wrote: »
    I'm not deleting a damned thing - I pay to play on someone else's game because I'm not smart enough to program my own, so I am not going to tinker with their mistakes. They can sort it for me.

I agree 100%. They provided a faulty update and should provide a solution
    that doesn't involve you/us to search for files to delete.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that point of view, in all sincerity. They gave us the work around to be able to play right away before they figure out why it's not working on some machines. If you want to wait, it's your right.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Dreez
    Dreez
    ✭✭

I deleted ALL .Version files in the gamefolders, then started up the launcher again, now it wants to reinstall 22gig of files - NOT REPAIR.

We need this sorted.
  • Kanedo
    Kanedo
    i dont get an error.. my game dont even recognize there has even been a patch.. awesome job.. 8+ hours downtime, launcher just stares at me like.. whats up wid u joe?
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    Dreez wrote: »
    I deleted ALL .Version files in the gamefolders, then started up the launcher again, now it wants to reinstall 22gig of files - NOT REPAIR.

We need this sorted.

Read my post ... honestly...
  • CanAPanda
    CanAPanda
    ✭✭
    worked for me btw, version files are located in default location which is probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online, then just search the entire file for .version and delete those 4 files.

And if this is too much work for you then you don't deserve to have fun, get over yourself *cough Kazarr cough*
    Edited by CanAPanda on April 15, 2014 8:42PM
  • Negative39
    This supposed 100% fix caused me to lose all the progress I had made in re-downloading the game and did not fix the issue. Thanks to your 100% fix I have to start downloading all over again.
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    Negative39 wrote: »
    This supposed 100% fix caused me to lose all the progress I had made in re-downloading the game and did not fix the issue. Thanks to your 100% fix I have to start downloading all over again.

You must have done something wrong. Re read what i posted. It has worked for everyone else.
  • TOGScorch
    TOGScorch
    Soul Shriven
    Deleting the version files, did allow me to trigger the repair, but the repair is still downloading 22g to fix the game.....Oh well, hiccups are to be expected, we will get there in the end
  • RunAway
    RunAway
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone would think this was an indie game. The devs are bad.
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
  • Dreez
    Dreez
    ✭✭
    im not downloading someone else's .version files into my game, simple as that. Call it being paranoia, even if there only good intentions behind it. And files deleted from my PC goes directly deleted - not the bin.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭

walk us through exactly what you did... if you delete all 3 files yes it sets you for a large download (it doesn't know what version you have), which is why they say to stop that, then restore the files... unless you physically deleted all your game files I don't understand how your files are lost.
  • Negative39
    @forexownsvuct‌

No, mate, I did not do it wrong and it has not worked for everyone else at all, look at this thread and at other threads. You are kindly trying to help us all but be careful before you post about 100% fixes - it does not work for all I'm afraid.
  • Lamat
    Lamat
    Guys, first of all - thanks for the solution.

But generally - I got one question. Am I not right, if I will say - that this is not the correct way of using the ordered product? Maybe, guys from Zenimax should have tried to test the product before selling it? And the last question - is for how long more will we need to wait for the normal gameplay?
  • Dreez
    Dreez
    ✭✭
    Why on earth should my launcher download 22gig of files when i deleted 4 small files.. makes absolutely no sence.
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    Deleting the version files, did allow me to trigger the repair, but the repair is still downloading 22g to fix the game.....Oh well, hiccups are to be expected, we will get there in the end

You dont need to trigger the repair. Delete. Open client. close client. restore the file. open client play.
  • michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    Doesn't work.

This game is looking more like a lemon every day.
  • Dax
    Dax
    ✭✭
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online

Is it supposed to be here? All I have is a "Launcher", "The Elder Scrolls Online" and "The Elder Scrolls Online PTS" folder, A search doesn't reveal any folder either.
  • Serivahn
    Serivahn
    Just posting that this worked for me.
    I only had to delete a SINGLE .version file located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game
  • ryan.t.puterbaugh_ESO
    I have the same issue, but during the "repair" the play button became visible, so I clicked it, and now im in game all fine and dandy. I dont even know.
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    there is 4x .version files one in each folder
  • snakepliskin83
    This fix does not work, done it many times now. The major issue is the game and patch, roll it back at least it worked.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @forexownsvuct‌

No, mate, I did not do it wrong and it has not worked for everyone else at all, look at this thread and at other threads. You are kindly trying to help us all but be careful before you post about 100% fixes - it does not work for all I'm afraid.

after I restored my files it did not work as quickly as the rest of the guys, but I deleted ONLY the launcher.version file and it immediately worked no restore required.
  • DragonMother
    DragonMother
    ✭✭✭
    Still running into issues, ZOS. Tried to update, failed version check, tried to repair, failed patching version, fix this please. I rather love your game, but this sort of bullcrap needs to be checked and double checked before you ship it out to the players...don't you guys public test these patches?
    Demi, Adult female, Guild leader, Roleplayer & TES enthusiast
    I trust my instincts, more than I trust other peoples opinions.
    Four years, and still present. Sanguine still lives.
  • DoomBringerDANTEb14_ESO
    Please before you do what this says, attempt to run the game in Admin. If your on Windows 8 Also unpin the game from your taskbar, and close steam if it is open if it persists. Their fix will force you to re install the entire game and may not fix it for you.
    Edited by DoomBringerDANTEb14_ESO on April 15, 2014 9:07PM
  • The_Death_Princess
    The_Death_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much, after the incomplete dev post I followed you saved me!
    Astaria Dødfurstinna
    Official Hunter Community Lead DAOC
    (Pendragon Beta through Catacombs release)
    Look at this but dont QQ: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/hfxYcf
  • bantad87
    bantad87
    ✭✭✭
    Got it. Here's what I did.

Downloaded his versions.
    Deleted my 4 .version files (you can run a search from inside the zenimax online folder)
    Ran the client - it updated.
    Clicked install; and then immediately closed the client.
    Placed his downloaded .versions in the appropriate folders.
    Ran client; game now works.
  • DragonMother
    DragonMother
    ✭✭✭
    Serivahn wrote: »
    Just posting that this worked for me.
    I only had to delete a SINGLE .version file located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game
    This fixed the patching, thank you!

Demi, Adult female, Guild leader, Roleplayer & TES enthusiast
    I trust my instincts, more than I trust other peoples opinions.
    Four years, and still present. Sanguine still lives.
  • nemesix
    nemesix
    Soul Shriven
    When I restored my version files the fix didn't work but when I used the ones in the .rar file in the original post here it worked perfectly.