Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

(*100% FIXED tested)Zenimax's Solution to Patch fix. (GM posted) [ error 209 ]

• ISeeUnicorns
    ISeeUnicorns
    ✭✭
    Wow, I can't believe the launcher did not even acknowledge a patch when I first launched it. I had to wait for a time out login to the game, then go through a big repair dance to get the launcher to fix, then I could finally play. Fortunately I seem to be fine hitting the play button and going into the game so far, but now when I exit, the launcher is still telling me I have a client mismatch......I admit I have never had a game not at least attempt the patch before from its launcher (even in betas) when one is available......
  • Hakoke
    Hakoke
    ✭✭
    Took a few tries and I had to run as administrator, but finally worked.

Edit: But as soon as I exited the game, back to error 209. Will try again later.
    Edited by Hakoke on April 15, 2014 10:28PM
  • qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    None of the above worked for and have uninstalled the game. Reinstalling now and have lost another days play.

Not happy with this crap ZOS!
  • Banumu
    Banumu
    ✭✭
    I've got log in time out, not sure if it is from client being me
    Greatot wrote: »
    Here's what fixed it for me. (Playing right now)

1.) Close the launcher

2.) Wait for it to patch.

3.) It will start downloading some 900mb

4.) The error is gone and you can play now.

Closed Launcher - can't patch unless it is open - Reopen launcher no update , just play, hit play log on , time out
  • wyrm_2004_ESO
    wyrm_2004_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This is exactly why i buy physical copies, so i dont have to redownloaded an entire 20Gb+ client and waste bandwidth.

The fix worked for me. Just delete the 4 - .version files, start the launcher, immediately close the launcher. Restore the original .version files you deleted, start the launcher again. Should say PLAY now.
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The solution worked for me. Thanks for that.

I'd actually thought it had fixed itself on the 6th attempt, but the launcher kept looping back to repair installation.

Again, thanks!
  • selixjm_ESO
    If you are getting error 209, please try the following:
    • First, please ensure you are accessing the game via the launcher, not the .exe file.
    • Try closing out of the launcher and re-open it, then run a repair.
    • If you try to repair and it does not work, please delete all .version files in the game's sub folders and try repair again.

First of all DON'T close the launcher. If you get the error delete the files, rename them to .version.bak or move them to a separate folder. Renaming or moving are safer, telling people to arbitrarily delete stuff without backups is somewhat irresponsible, but I digress. Anyway, after that return to the launcher but DON'T close it, again DON'T close it. If you close it and reopen it then the game will want you to do a full re-install. Just click the repair button and let it run. It ran perfectly for me after that.
    Edited by selixjm_ESO on April 15, 2014 10:44PM
  • Vilixiti
    Vilixiti
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, this worked for me. It said I already had bethesdalauncher.version or whatever that one was so I skipped restoring that one and it is working now. :)
  • Kenpachi30
    Kenpachi30
    Soul Shriven
    worked!!
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    Kenpachi30 wrote: »
    worked!!

:-p
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    be aware this only gets you the play button once. its basically the same as launching without the launcher. your version will be wrong and after it figures it out you will get the same launcher error unless you get lucky and it updates correctly the next time.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Ragnafrak
    Ragnafrak
    ✭✭
    Serivahn wrote: »
    Just posting that this worked for me.
    I only had to delete a SINGLE .version file located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game

This got my patcher to patch! Still timing out though.
  • selixjm_ESO
    be aware this only gets you the play button once. its basically the same as launching without the launcher. your version will be wrong and after it figures it out you will get the same launcher error unless you get lucky and it updates correctly the next time.

Yeah, just about thought I stuck my foot in my mouth when that same error popped up again so I tried it once more and it seems to be patching now... >.>

Edit:

And yeah, it's still broken. ><
    Edited by selixjm_ESO on April 15, 2014 10:49PM
  • Dbetz007
    Dbetz007
    I deleted the Depot.version only .. Which is only causing the game to verify the files rather than redownload the whole game... Initially I was fine until the game crashed then I got the error.. hopefully getting rid of the depot.version will fix this issue.

It is currently downloading only a little bit of information that appears to have caused the problem which is about 550mb compared to the 20 gigs I had to DL for the game itself.
    Edited by Dbetz007 on April 15, 2014 10:55PM
  • selixjm_ESO
    At this point I'm just going to bite the bullet and do a full reinstall.
  • nickroc
    nickroc
    ✭✭
    reinstall is being said to not fix the issue.
    Error 301: You purchased The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd wait.. the problem is with their servers. It's prime time again and they are going to have problems because of server overload.. Most of the problem we are having are on Zens side, they just won't admit it. Right now is the start of the most populated hours of the day for N/A and nearing the end of it for EU
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Oberon70
    Oberon70
    So far none of this works and I am really disappointed in their lack of communication. They took the game down for a very long period and now players are still having issues. So far a lot of game time has been lost with these huge issues that are occurring.
  • nickroc
    nickroc
    ✭✭
    I cant imagine running a company and having zero response or support for something like this.
    Error 301: You purchased The Elder Scrolls Online
  • theinfinityzero62b16_ESO
    I did a reinstall which didn't help.
  • ShallowTech
    Oberon70 wrote: »
    So far none of this works and I am really disappointed in their lack of communication. They took the game down for a very long period and now players are still having issues. So far a lot of game time has been lost with these huge issues that are occurring.

I agree and for the money that I have put into this game so far I feel like there should be some compensation... a free month or something.

ShallowTech
    MSI Z87M Gaming LGA 1150
    i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz
    MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 770 2GB
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oberon70 wrote: »

I agree and for the money that I have put into this game so far I feel like there should be some compensation... a free month or something.

I want a free zebra mount or an in game t-shirt that says "I survived ESO Launch"
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bypass the launcher and use the shortcut in my game>client folder. Very frustrating always fighting with the patches and launcher though.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • nonexistant2003b14a_ESO
    seanolan wrote: »
    For many of us, this "fix" simply causes the launcher to reinstall the whole program

A. See if all the .version files are in their directories or not.
    B. If not download the .rar file in the post and replace them based on the locations listed.
    C. If they are there delete them (not shift+delete) and carefully read the instructions in the post.
    D.Be sure you are waiting for the launcher to display the Install button, DO NOT CLICK ON IT. Close the launcher and re-apply the four files.

Edited by nonexistant2003b14a_ESO on April 15, 2014 11:06PM
    NONEXISTANT
  • Ozzi
    Ozzi
    Soul Shriven
    4) WAIT. Wait for the client start patching like it's downloading the full game again and ABORT

Edited your step to make it more user friendly. B)
  • selixjm_ESO

I'd wait.. the problem is with their servers. It's prime time again and they are going to have problems because of server overload.. Most of the problem we are having are on Zens side, they just won't admit it. Right now is the start of the most populated hours of the day for N/A and nearing the end of it for EU

I'm terrible at waiting, plus I'm still launching from the Beta client and yeah I know they said that's fine it will totally work and yada yada yada, but after this I'm just not sure. If I still have this problem after installing from the new client I may be a little upset. ><

• Pandamonium0228
    NiRN has the best solution. i tested this theory before seeing his post. the launcher isn't reading a certain config file that tell the game what game version its using. Left4Dead 2 use to do this to us all the time except we were able to edit the config file thru notepad and change the version number.

if you just go to the actual game.exe and launch it from there you can play. the devs need to fix there launcher itself. game files are fine. find the client eso.exe and load it from there. no need to do the razzle dazzle with the version files.

The Elder Scrolls Online > game > client > eso.exe
    Edited by Pandamonium0228 on April 15, 2014 11:10PM
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm terrible at waiting, plus I'm still launching from the Beta client and yeah I know they said that's fine it will totally work and yada yada yada, but after this I'm just not sure. If I still have this problem after installing from the new client I may be a little upset. ><

You should be, we all should be. Problem is that too many don't care as long as they are not affected. If more people held these jerks in the gaming community responsible for the trash they release, the state of gaming wouldn't be in this sad state. The "it's normal' b.s. is just that... b.s.
  • Dbetz007
    Dbetz007
    There is a solution found on Reddit that also works if you go into the game files find game/client/eso.exe and run that it will launch your game and bypass the launcher thus avoiding the error.. I will test this soon as I finish re-patching.
  • Knuckles19
    Doesn't work for me.