The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

(*100% FIXED tested)Zenimax's Solution to Patch fix. (GM posted) [ error 209 ]

• Mishanya
    Mishanya
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it (remove all .version files, run launcher, then shut it down without reinstall, put .versions back) and it still works. Thanks
    Wasting time is an important part of life
  • Manjika
    Manjika
    Never had this problem before. During nighttime I downloaded the new patch for the pts and after I restarted my pc today, I couldn't log in to the EU server anymore. Error 209.
    (remove all .version files, run launcher, then shut it down without reinstall, put .versions back)
    I tried this, too, and yes- it worked.

Thanks a lot, guys!

• Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the error and solution worked... moved version files away and then back (not deleting just to be sure).

Surprised how they have managed to screw up such minor maintenance update.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Shadowparty
    Shadowparty
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you.
  • Chazrp
    Chazrp
    Wow 7 months later and this still hasn't been fixed...
  • Inyanna
    Inyanna
    Soul Shriven
    A year later and it still hasn't been fixed.. :'(

Repairing/Downloading 30GB of files for the 2nd time as we speak
  • Bubonix
    Bubonix
    Soul Shriven
    I'm in Australia and have been having this problem for ages. Tried all the fixes, they never worked for me. Interestingly if I enable my CyberGhost program (vpn) and point it at the USA so it looks like I'm accessing ESO from there, I have no patcher problem whatsoever. Also simply by selecting options in the launcher (top right) and changing the megaserver to Europe then applying takes you back the the launch screen with an option to Install. Instead of installing go straight back into options and swap it back to the US megaserver and reapply and it seems to clear the patch error for me and brings back the "Play" option and I can get in with no issue. I have no idea why this works for me, I leave that to those educated in such things, I simply post it as a possible workaround for those frustrated as I was.
  • Bubonix
    Bubonix
    Soul Shriven
    Digging a lil further, I did a "Ctrl Alt Delete" and brought up the task manager and found that even after exiting the game I had Eso processes still running. I killed those process and it fixed the Launcher problems without the need for the above workaround. Hopefully, this points in some meaningful direction to the admins.
  • gokhanuzmez
    gokhanuzmez
    ✭✭
    ITs funny cause I played after the update yesterday, now I am getting the error 209
    Tried deleting all .version files, launched, canceled, restored files, did the repair , hit %100 and PLAY button did not appear, instead same error

Well i dont think we can fix it, they gotta figure it out this one.
  • Lord Yellow Spider
    Lord Yellow Spider
    Soul Shriven
    not sure if this post is outdated now but after the most recent patch 27/28 April (depending on time zone depends on dates) i received a "209 Error" i googled and tried this fix and it worked 1st try, as seen in one other comment this should be a sticky

Thumbs up and thank you
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every patch many people get hit with a 209, I did about 3 back and following these 'instructions' failed for me like many others.

In the end I've stopped using the launcher except when I need to patch, you can too, simply run ESO.EXE directly using a shortcut/whatever and ignore the launcher entirely and never had a problem: the launcher is simply a patcher, it serves no other useful purpose for me nor anyone else who doesn't need to switch servers.
  • Cristiano
    Cristiano
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this was suggested previously in this massive thread, but I often get that error after the game crashes on me. What usually works for me is running the launcher as administrator. If that doesn't work, then usually closing and reopening the launcher once or twice does. It's annoying, but I've avoided having to repair. Zenimax needs to get their act together with patching.
  • Larin_Softtail
    Larin_Softtail
    Soul Shriven
    THIS WAS ORIGINALLY HERE TILL I REMOVED IT FOR THE FIX ( posting this due to people ranting at me saying this is not Legit. roflstomp )

ZOS_JessicaFolsom wrote: »
    We posted this in another thread, but want to make sure you see it, too.

If you are getting error 209, please try the following:

-First, please ensure you are accessing the game via the launcher, not the .exe file.

-Try closing out of the launcher and re-open it, then run a repair.

-If you try to repair and it does not work, please delete all .version files in the game's sub folders and try repair again.

FIXED

--Delete the .version files. [there is 4x .version files one in each folder] (These 4 Need to be put back in their locations in the next steps)

--Run Launcher.

--Close Launcher.

--Open your recycle bin.

--Restore (Puts them back for you) the .version files.

BOOOOM!!!

Credit goes to
    "postmarkjb14a_ESO ✭
    6:23AM
    Deleted version files, ran launcher which failed, then restored the version files. I'm in."

I have attached my versions for those who have lost theirs. ( you will need Winrar to open)

If you try to repair and it does not work, please delete all .version files in the game's sub folders and try repair again. Also make sure your recycle bin is empty before proceeding or rename the following version files listed based on your preference.

1) Make sure you're not running the client already when you delete the files. This will screw the process up.

2) Go to your Zenimax Online folder (default, I believe, is in Program Files (x86).

Inside the Zenimax Online folder, delete the following files:

Inside "Launcher" folder, delete "Bethesda.net_Launcher.version",
    then back out of the "Launcher" folder into the Zenimax Online folder.

Inside "The Elder Scrolls Online" go to the "depot" folder, delete "depot.version" and go back to "TESO" folder.

Go to the "game" folder and delete "game_player.version", then back out to "TESO" folder.

Go to "vo_en" folder and delete "vo_en.version".

The above lists all four version files that need to be deleted or renamed, under the assumption that they are named the same as the ones in my folders. Basically, look for four ".version" files if you can't find those above.

3) Launch your client.

4) WAIT. Wait for the client start patching like it's downloading the full game again and ABORT

5) Go to your recycle bin, select all four files, right-click "restore".

6) Restart your client.

"ZOS_GinaBruno wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Ah, thanks! That is legit, and you can go ahead and follow the steps given here."

If all else fails, this has worked fora few people. Who knows really.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/80023/error-209-fixes-dont-work-for-you-try-this?new=1

MORE TO THE POINT, THIS SHOULDN'T NEED TOBE DONE IF THE FILES WEREN'T BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF DOING THIS EVERY FUCKEN PATCH ZENIMAX CAN NOW GO *** THEMSELVES HELL THIS IS A FREE GAME NOW ANYHOW, i AM JUST SORRY I PAID 80 DOLLARS DURING THE BETA
  • DirgeZombie
    DirgeZombie
    Soul Shriven
    Been having this problem for a while, thanks for the fix. Although it seems to be more of a band aid as every few times I try to log in I get the same error and have to apply this fix again.
  • JJSerrault
    I did the steps in the first post and now my game can run again. Thanks for the help, OP. :D

EDIT: It's only a temporary fix. I'm starting to get error 209 again occasionally. I hope Zenimax/Bethesda can do something about this annoying technical problem.
    Edited by JJSerrault on August 10, 2015 7:52AM
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This did nothing.
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • terynisalive
    terynisalive
    Soul Shriven
    OMGOSH thank you! This worked for me!

For those who are saying "it's just redownloading it all over again"... just press "pause" on the download, exit the launcher completely, then RESTORE those 4 deleted .version files from the recycle bin, and then launch the launcher yet again.

After this, it shouldn't be downloading it all over again, and the error message should be gone (Worked for me, at least).
  • abloke999
    abloke999
    Thanks for the info, worked for me. I wish I had seen this earlier today when the game "repaired" itself and downloaded the entire game again *sigh*.

Melbourne - Australia
    Nord - Pytor (ancient Nord for Peter) Ebonheart Lvl 44
    High Elf - Vikaars Lokisohn Aldmeri Lvl 14
    Breton Sorceror - Garth Vandersyyn Daggerfall Lvl 8
  • abloke999
    abloke999
    I spoke to soon, 15 mins into the game and it broke again with error 209.

5 hours or so I might be able to play it again as the launcher is doing another re-install, 2nd today. 1st update took around 5 hours... *sigh* over this... seems that every second update breaks the game.
    Melbourne - Australia
  • abloke999
    abloke999
    11:30 am Melbourne, Australia 13th January, 2016.

Followed all the instructions exactly as outlined in various posts to fix the issue, restart, run launcher, rinse and repeat process, run launcher; - error 209 *aaaarrrrggghhh!!!!*

The launcher has now finished updating, repairing etc., for the 3rd time and I have the play button again, but I am now becoming concerned that within 10 - 15 minutes of play online the game will quit suddenly and I'll be back to the error 209 again as has happened twice before when following all the instruction to the letter, including restarts after the launcher has "repaired" the game files.

I am so over the launcher demands to (laughingly) fix itself and the game files. I am on a premium connection in Australia, roughly a T1 in American terms, but I only get 1.45Mb's a second coming through. The process takes with, every repair/re-install over 5 hours. I have much better things to do with my time and my computer than download 3+Gb's every 5 - 6 hours.

Windows 10 Pro was faster to download and install when it was released last year, it only took about 2hrs, but this problem is ridiculous - @ZOS_GinaBruno why aren't the servers all updated first before the update goes live??? I used to maintain and administer a server farm here in Melbourne, for WAP servers updating comp's and mobile/cell phones. I and the other Admins *ALWAYS* triple checked all the servers were properly updated and synced before the updates were allowed to go live. Is that being done on the ESO servers before releasing the update?

<Schrödinger's Cat is becoming extremely angry!!!>

Melbourne - Australia
  • Duck
    Duck
    ✭✭✭
    This and 206 errors. I'm so *** tired of these every time a patch rears it's ugly head.
    This is why I refuse to spend any real money on this game. THIS.
    What I lack in gameplaying ability I make up for in smack talk.
  • Ulfson
    Ulfson
    ✭✭✭
    Here in March 2016 this fix does not work for me.
    I've just been through 4 of these reload everything cycles to error 209 and NOTHING that support offered has helped.
    I have had this same loop two other times in the last year and it is just a random failure of the update system.
    The only way I can obtain a valid installation is to completely uninstall and remove all the ZO junk.
    Then try another all new download and installation; at 6 plus hours.
    That is still the only way I can see to get around this error.
  • timtwigg81
    timtwigg81
    Soul Shriven
    Sadly... this one has fallen victim to this sad loop. The fix has been attempted... THRICE... still doesn't solve the issue. *sigh* I guess I'm going for a complete reinstall. May the bandwidth gods be merciful...
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gawd make a new thread instead of digging in the bottom of the forums .