The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

(*100% FIXED tested)Zenimax's Solution to Patch fix. (GM posted) [ error 209 ]

• Vixus
    Vixus
    ✭✭
    Gosh darn it Zenimax. I'm sick and tired of your nonsense.

-Every day something new to make a ticket about
    -Not a single patch has worked 'out of the box'
    -Main story quests STILL broken
    -Customer Support simply isn't replying to tickets anymore since 5 days
    -Now this again.
    -ZOS forum crew only replies to topics to tell people to 'sit the f* down and shut up'

FIX YOUR DAMN PRODUCT.

f-p.gif
    Edited by Vixus on April 16, 2014 12:38AM
    I am, therefore I think.
  • Hakoke
    Hakoke
    ✭✭
    selisa86 wrote: »
    Hakoke wrote: »
    After bypassing the launcher because of error 209, which I can't get ride of after following every piece of advice, I can log on and play. Even though my current version is 1.0.0.968197 for some reason.
    It's because the patch wasn't able to install through your launcher and update your game. I wouldn't play on the old version [1.0.0.968197], you may run into problems later on. Just a suggestion, though.

That's why I posted what I did - most people who are getting past the errors are just glad to be able to play and not even checking whether their game actually patched or not.

Oh I don't plan on playing it without patching it, had some weird screen shake while playing plus flashing chat. I found two other things I'm going to try now, someone mentioned downloading the launcher again from there account page and I'm in the process of running that, I made a separate copy of my eso install so as to not mess up my original.

And second someone has mentioned that rebooting there PC has fixed it for them, which I have tried once already, but will attempt again.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first problem I have had with game. Not a single in game bug and hit lvl 28 last night in Greenshades and have been playing since the 5 day early access
  • Furniture
    Furniture
    ✭✭
    We need a patch to fix a broken patch, fantastic.
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    While this may work once, close the launcher and reopen it. Back to square one, broke.
  • Vixus
    Vixus
    ✭✭
    Furniture wrote: »
    We need a patch to fix a broken patch, fantastic.
    While this may work once, close the launcher and reopen it. Back to square one, broke.

Yeah. Same here.

48592448.jpg

I am, therefore I think.
  • Mace
    Mace
    ✭✭
    After about 27 different combinations of deleting, patching, restoring and yelling at flies.. I'm back in <3

Ironically, I booted up the launched on my laptop which I haven't touched since beta and it patched and launched just fine without any shenanigans.

Currently getting a "Login timeout" but I think I can deal with that.
    Masce
  • red_wolf_sb14a_ESO
    Anyone else notice it has been like three hours since we had a new post show up in the Dev tracker?

Hope they are busy finding a fix and not just hiding under their desks.
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    it's not even making me download a patch. what gives?
  • Vixus
    Vixus
    ✭✭
    After about 27 different combinations of deleting, patching, restoring and yelling at flies.. I'm back in <3

Ironically, I booted up the launched on my laptop which I haven't touched since beta and it patched and launched just fine without any shenanigans.

That login timeout means you are Effed.
    Your version is reverted back to 1.0.0.<something> which means you're still screwed.
    I am, therefore I think.
  • Mace
    Mace
    ✭✭
    Vixus wrote: »

That login timeout means you are Effed.
    Your version is reverted back to 1.0.0.<something> which means you're still screwed.

NAOOO I don't wanna be effed

My Version right now is
    eso.live.1.0.0.964485

whyyy?
    Masce
  • red_wolf_sb14a_ESO
    Could we please get some dev response as to what the game version number should be?
  • wunahokalugi
    deleting 4 version files; prompted me to reinstall the game

skipping that; put the 4 version files back from the recycle bin; stuck post login, like I'm running the wrong version of the game

wasn't the last update 1.03? so this one is too?
  • Smedlock
    Smedlock
    We shouldn't have to go thru all this to get the game to work properly...this isn't a fix but a work around...which may fix the problem but not everyone knows what they are doing and just can't start messing around with the files. I can't believe they haven't did something to fix this immediately.
  • Mace
    Mace
    ✭✭
    wasn't the last update 1.03? so this one is too?

oooh yeahhh. I hope not haha

I never pay attention to things like that.. too focused on logging in a smashing things with swords
    Masce
  • Smedlock
    Smedlock
    you guys better check your version...I can get into game but its an old version
  • atwon23
    atwon23
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just reinstalling right now. Tried everything listed in the forums and nothing worked.
  • LimeFox
    LimeFox
    ✭✭✭
    bantad87 wrote: »
    Got it. Here's what I did.

Downloaded his versions.
    Deleted my 4 .version files (you can run a search from inside the zenimax online folder)
    Ran the client - it updated.
    Clicked install; and then immediately closed the client.
    Placed his downloaded .versions in the appropriate folders.
    Ran client; game now works.

I'm at my wit's end. I've done the above. I've tried the steps in the initial post. I've repaired it. I've deleted the files. I've restored the files. I've rebooted the machine. Yes, I'm running it as an admin. I've tried replacing my files with the ones here. Error, error, error, error. I've worked with computers for years, and I'm pretty confident I'm following the instructions properly. My next step is possibly to attempt to bribe the computer with promises of chocolate and a hot coffee. *headdesk*

If I was merely playing this game for fun, I'd laugh over the awful patch and go do something else for a few days in the hope they'd fix it, but MY PAID JOB IS TO WRITE ABOUT THIS GAME. At the moment, the only thing I can write about for my column is how Zenimax managed to lobotomize the launch client with their bug-fix patch. I can only hope this is affecting a tiny percentage of the gamers, and I'm just unlucky...

*sigh*
  • Vixus
    Vixus
    ✭✭
    LimeFox wrote: »
    bantad87 wrote: »
    Got it. Here's what I did.

Downloaded his versions.
    Deleted my 4 .version files (you can run a search from inside the zenimax online folder)
    Ran the client - it updated.
    Clicked install; and then immediately closed the client.
    Placed his downloaded .versions in the appropriate folders.
    Ran client; game now works.

I'm at my wit's end. I've done the above. I've tried the steps in the initial post. I've repaired it. I've deleted the files. I've restored the files. I've rebooted the machine. Yes, I'm running it as an admin. I've tried replacing my files with the ones here. Error, error, error, error. I've worked with computers for years, and I'm pretty confident I'm following the instructions properly. My next step is possibly to attempt to bribe the computer with promises of chocolate and a hot coffee. *headdesk*

If I was merely playing this game for fun, I'd laugh over the awful patch and go do something else for a few days in the hope they'd fix it, but MY PAID JOB IS TO WRITE ABOUT THIS GAME. At the moment, the only thing I can write about for my column is how Zenimax managed to lobotomize the launch client with their bug-fix patch. I can only hope this is affecting a tiny percentage of the gamers, and I'm just unlucky...

*sigh*

I for one am looking forward to your column and will be the first one to post QFT on it, since day one all I've experienced is headache after headache, and for the good sum of money that I've thrown at it, I feel taken advantage of.

I am, therefore I think.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this. I didn't delete, instead I added .old to the file. Open and closed the launcher, then deleted the added part to the file name. It worked.

Just wish I didn't have to refresh the game files after patches.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Error keeps reappearing, and when I do get in it the log in keeps timing out. Resorting to reinstall now.
    Edited by driosketch on April 16, 2014 2:05AM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • TheHuntress
    Correction, the below was a temporary fix. The problem returned but now closing the launcher and relaunching it allows you to play. Unknown if I have the latest version of the game or not.

The below really did fix the problem for me. Though Zenimax shouldn't require us to do so, they need to patch their launcher again.

If you try to repair and it does not work, please delete all .version files in the game's sub folders and try repair again. Also make sure your recycle bin is empty before proceeding or rename the following version files listed based on your preference.

1) Make sure you're not running the client already when you delete the files. This will screw the process up.

2) Go to your Zenimax Online folder (default, I believe, is in Program Files (x86).

Inside the Zenimax Online folder, delete the following files:

Inside "Launcher" folder, delete "Bethesda.net_Launcher.version",
    then back out of the "Launcher" folder into the Zenimax Online folder.

Inside "The Elder Scrolls Online" go to the "depot" folder, delete "depot.version" and go back to "TESO" folder.

Go to the "game" folder and delete "game_player.version", then back out to "TESO" folder.

Go to "vo_en" folder and delete "vo_en.version".

The above lists all four version files that need to be deleted or renamed, under the assumption that they are named the same as the ones in my folders. Basically, look for four ".version" files if you can't find those above.

3) Launch your client.

4) WAIT. Wait for the client start patching like it's downloading the full game again and ABORT

5) Go to your recycle bin, select all four files, right-click "restore".

6) Restart your client.

• TheHuntress
    selisa86 wrote: »
    Hakoke wrote: »
    After bypassing the launcher because of error 209, which I can't get ride of after following every piece of advice, I can log on and play. Even though my current version is 1.0.0.968197 for some reason.
    It's because the patch wasn't able to install through your launcher and update your game. I wouldn't play on the old version [1.0.0.968197], you may run into problems later on. Just a suggestion, though.

That's why I posted what I did - most people who are getting past the errors are just glad to be able to play and not even checking whether their game actually patched or not.

What is the new version number?

• AstroCat
    AstroCat
    ✭✭✭
    I just reinstalled from scratch, all fresh and I get the 209 error right away! WTF?!
  • NightOwl68
    NightOwl68
    ✭✭
    Anybody reinstall it and have it work? I'm afraid I would end up back in the same situation, just a day later.
  • jmoore59
    jmoore59
    ✭✭
    AstroCat wrote: »
    I just reinstalled from scratch, all fresh and I get the 209 error right away! WTF?!

I had the same thing happen so I am waiting, and not reinstalling again.

• ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe no official word on this launcher problem yet. Everyone having the issue be sure to place a support ticket about it.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • wc5b
    wc5b
    ✭✭
    Fix just worked for me. Thanks! If your downloading all over again, your not reading the part about restoring the files.
  • hkblur
    hkblur
    confirming that deleting the .VERSION file from the LAUNCHER directory only corrected all issues. Thanks!
  • AstroCat
    AstroCat
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah those instructions work for 1 log in only, next time the 209 error is back.
  • NightOwl68
    NightOwl68
    ✭✭
    Following the fix I got the launcher to work once. After logging out of the game, the launcher refreshed and game me the error. So it seems to be a temp fix it works, for me at least.