The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

(*100% FIXED tested)Zenimax's Solution to Patch fix. (GM posted) [ error 209 ]

• Negative39
    Thank you all, I now get error 200 and 201 when trying to log into the game. Is this a separate issue or just a volume of people trying to log in problem?
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah I pulled the 4 files out of the Zenimax Online folder but I have no idea where each individual one was. How could I reinsert them?
  • Dreez
    Dreez
    ✭✭
    They didn't fix anything. Everytime i open up my launcher, it wants to download 22g of files - and im not doing that. I deleted 4 small files, not 22gig.
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    Dreez wrote: »
    They didn't fix anything. Everytime i open up my launcher, it wants to download 22g of files - and im not doing that. I deleted 4 small files, not 22gig.

Yes you deleted them, now put them back in. And it fixes it.

• Dreez
    Dreez
    ✭✭
    Dreez wrote: »

Yes you deleted them, now put them back in. And it fixes it.

The 4 files i deleted didn't take up 22gig of space, besides, i wouldn't know
    which folder to put them back into.
  • Yam_of_the_Center
    Yam_of_the_Center
    ✭✭✭
    You keep saying "Client", forexownsvuct, I assume you mean the Launcher? The client could well be the Launcher or the game itself, so I'm just wondering.

This didn't work. I'd also like to point out that when you delete those files and start the Launcher it wants to download and reinstall the entire game. If I had space on the hard drive my where TESO is it would have already been doing it (instead of telling me I need 60 gigs free, which I don't have as TESO is installed there). I have a copy of the game folder backed up anyway (used it to install TESO on a friend's computer instead of him having to download it all), but it would still be a pain to have had it delete all the old files to begin again.

The first time I launched today post-patch the Launcher started normally and just went straight to "PLAY". I found this curious as before the servers went down I read there was to be a new patch, so I hit "Check for Updates" on the Launcher, and the "Error 209 - PatchManifestError_VersionFail" popped up.

This "fix" may just be getting you to "PLAY" and not actually patching the client (game client, the game itself). Has ANYONE actually gotten the patch?
    He will bring life to the dead, hope to the living, and for him the Gate will open.
    The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the finest Elder Scrolls resource around!
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll try this when I get home, assuming I still have the problem in 3 hours. Thanks to OP for posting and the individual who worked this out, appreciated.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • Bookwyrm
    Bookwyrm
    ✭✭✭✭
    This worked for me also, though I had to do it several times to get it "right."
    1) Make sure you're not running the client already when you delete the files. This will screw the process up.
    2) Go to your Zenimax Online folder (default, I believe, is in Program Files (x86). Inside the Zenimax Online folder, delete the following files:
    1. Inside "Launcher" folder, delete "Bethesda.net_Launcher.version", then back out of the "Launcher" folder into the Zenimax Online folder.
    2. Inside "The Elder Scrolls Online" go to the "depot" folder, delete "depot.version" and go back to "TESO" folder.
    3. Go to the "game" folder and delete "game_player.version", then back out to "TESO" folder.
    4. Go to "vo_en" folder and delete "vo_en.version".
    The above lists all four version files that need to be deleted, under the assumption that they are named the same as the ones in my folders. Basically, look for four ".version" files if you can't find those above.
    3) Launch your client. I had to launch mine as an administrator, but I've been having to do this since day one.
    4) WAIT. Wait for the client to fail to launch. Mine came up with an "ABORT" dialogue box. Close any dialogue box that appears and make certain the client is no longer running.
    5) Go to your recycle bin, select all four files, right-click "restore".
    6) Restart your client.

I now no longer have the "cannot determine version" error or the "repair" button on my client, and am back to "play." :) I hope the step-by-step helps. If clarification is needed, let me know.

EDIT: I noticed above that someone posted that they only needed to delete one version file (the one in the "game" folder). This may work for you too, so you may want to try that first if you don't want to hunt down the other three. Saves some steps. ;) Also, I am currently running the client and was able to log in, so this definitely fixed it for me.
    Edited by Bookwyrm on April 15, 2014 9:09PM
    Don't talk to me! I'm a shrub. - Frozen Man
    Bookwyrm - The Thread Killer
  • JesinCrowe
    No issues here whatsoever...
  • cezESO
    cezESO
    Thanks for the tip OP. Got it to work.
    I'm in-game.. wheee.. cept still missing 30 bank slots and my items..
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    You keep saying "Client", forexownsvuct, I assume you mean the Launcher? The client could well be the Launcher or the game itself, so I'm just wondering.

This didn't work. I'd also like to point out that when you delete those files and start the Launcher it wants to download and reinstall the entire game. If I had space on the hard drive my where TESO is it would have already been doing it (instead of telling me I need 60 gigs free, which I don't have as TESO is installed there). I have a copy of the game folder backed up anyway (used it to install TESO on a friend's computer instead of him having to download it all), but it would still be a pain to have had it delete all the old files to begin again.

The first time I launched today post-patch the Launcher started normally and just went straight to "PLAY". I found this curious as before the servers went down I read there was to be a new patch, so I hit "Check for Updates" on the Launcher, and the "Error 209 - PatchManifestError_VersionFail" popped up.

This "fix" may just be getting you to "PLAY" and not actually patching the client (game client, the game itself). Has ANYONE actually gotten the patch?

changed post to say Launcher.

I think you have a separate issue. As we all have the patch. This is the next step.
  • qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't work for me sadly. This is a load of bollocks Zenimax and quite frankly you are proving that you don't care about the player base. Any other studio would take down the server immediately and get this sorted. Between you and the Gold Farmers that you do not deal with this mmo is becoming one big fustration rather than being fun!!!
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    I have removed the files, run the client, restored the files, run the launcher, and it still gives Error 209 when opened and when Repair is clicked. I have tried restoring my own files, the version files you posted, the supposedly new version files that someone else posted. None of this has convinced the launcher to update.

However, the game runs and lets me log in and apparently play when I open it directly from the EXE. Go figure. I assume it must have updated itself in the background since the launcher was active, and something about the new patch doesn't play well with the launcher. I'll post again if I have trouble actually playing the game.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Yam_of_the_Center
    Yam_of_the_Center
    ✭✭✭
    changed post to say Launcher.

I think you have a separate issue. As we all have the patch. This is the next step.

Cool.

It could be, though being a screenshotaholic I went back to my screenshot of when I first hit "Check for Updates" on the Launcher and apparently it was downloading 36.4 megs or so... so maybe I got some sort of patch, or perhaps just Launcher patch.

Now I'm stuck in a Repair loop, where 209 wants me to Repair and hitting Repair gives me 209.
    He will bring life to the dead, hope to the living, and for him the Gate will open.
  • Phayz
    Phayz
    What "fixed" it for me:

Close launcher, go to: C:/Program Files/Zenimax Online/Launcher

Delete/Remove Bethesda.net_Launcher.Version, Run launcher, let it update. You might get the error, but the play button will appear, if the play button doesn't appear repeat the steps until it does.
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Okay that actually worked. I didn't know you could restore the file from your recycle bin and Windows would put it back where it was. I just had no idea what exact files they needed to go back into.
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    All I did to fix this was go to the launch setting control (ESO symbol by the close X).
    Click the About.
    Clicked the Game Consultant. Checked its version, then ran the scan.
    After the can ran and produced the text file which you don't need. I then ran the repair, it scanned and repaired the files and it was ready to go. Took less than 10 minutes total.

Hope this helps some.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The launcher has just been patched! Restart it!
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • scrubz
    scrubz
    This is the second time this has happen to me. the first time resulting in a whole download. The second time i was aware something bad was about to happen when i downloaded the patch at 56mb/s. Patch downloaded in about 5 seconds then it said repair. i came to forums immediately to read the posts. I'm About to start fixing the problem after reading this post and i see my client is saying saying play. so i clicked it and now im able to play. not sure why or how but it just started to work. no idea why im telling you all this maybe it can help someone who's smart.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, if this was actually posted by a GM, why didn't the OP include a link to the GM post. Never ever follow advice like this unless it comes from a Zenimax account.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can you check this and see if this is legit?
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Vyndetta
    Vyndetta
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime I have to go in and delete files, I wonder at the competency of a company. Quit screwing around and get your heads in the game. I don't run add-ons of any sort, so there should be nothing to impede with the patching in this game.

What the hell is going on?!
  • qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Phayz wrote: »
    What "fixed" it for me:

Delete/Remove Bethesda.net_Launcher.Version, Run launcher, let it update. You might get the error, but the play button will appear, if the play button doesn't appear repeat the steps until it does.

Didn't work for, login timeout and second time error 301?
  • forexownsvuct
    forexownsvuct
    ✭✭
    Guys, if this was actually posted by a GM, why didn't the OP include a link to the GM post. Never ever follow advice like this unless it comes from a Zenimax account.

The original post i posted was from a GM. We tested about 8 things. The found this. deleted the rest of the testing crap. this works.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

We're looking into this now to find out if it's indeed legit. Thanks for the heads up.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Kanedo
    Kanedo
    can anybody tell me the correct version number. im currently on 1.0.0.964485
  • Yam_of_the_Center
    Yam_of_the_Center
    ✭✭✭

It was from this post.

As this is the thread I've been frequenting, I've a question for people that have gotten it to launch... what is your Version down at the bottom of the Title/Login screen? Mine says Version: eso.live.1.0.0.968197
  • Phayz
    Phayz
    Phayz wrote: »
    What "fixed" it for me:

Didn't work for, login timeout and second time error 301?

Did you repeat the steps until it worked? I did this about 4-5 times to make sure it worked before posting.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭

The original post i posted was from a GM. We tested about 8 things. The found this. deleted the rest of the testing crap. this works.

Then there shouldn't be a problem when the Mods check it out, but apparently following your advice has caused numerous folks to have to resort to a complete re-install. If this was done over the phone with a CSR then it might have only been a viable solution to your specific problem. I am not saying you posting this was malicious, but it very well may have been unknowingly irresponsible.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

It was from this post.

Ah, thanks! That is legit, and you can go ahead and follow the steps given there.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post