Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once?

• Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I just hope instead of having separate zone instances split seeming at random. Put all players with companions out in one zone, and people without them in another.

There is nothing I hate more than towns now being absolutely full, and half of the people there aren't people. Just a sea of companions.
    PC EU > You
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I just hope instead of having separate zone instances split seeming at random. Put all players with companions out in one zone, and people without them in another.

There is nothing I hate more than towns now being absolutely full, and half of the people there aren't people. Just a sea of companions.
    Wrong. You can only see your own companion in towns...
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Calastir wrote: »

OK so World Bosses, and World Events such as Mirrormoor Incursions. So many damn companions.

Half the time they're dead too so I stop a boss to resurrect what I think is a dead player only to realise it's a useless companion.
    PC EU > You
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For speed-runners? Definitely.

For others, who enjoy doing the story? Also. Ofc ZOS will never implement Story Mode for dungeons, so this seems to be a viable option.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Calastir wrote: »

I can see other player’s companions in Alinor at least.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    fedouva wrote: »
    you can always visit any dungeon alone, there are people who pass them solo so it's not a problem)

You can always play the game completely alone, there are people who never interact with others, it's no problem at all, which proves that other players aren't neccessary for playing the game and can should be removed :p
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LPapirius wrote: »
    Why not allow 11 companions at the same time? That way people can solo 12 man dungeons. How far do some of the players want to go down this road? (I know there aren't 11 companions available at this time, but there will be in the next couple years at the current rate they're being created)

And then the complaint will be that we need more companion dps. Better skills, mechanics aware.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely! In FFXIV, they now allow three NPC companions to replace players in MSQ dungeons. It's time ZOS begins to realize that older MMOs tend to lose population, and with loss of population, means loss of players to group with. So it only makes sense for them to add the ability for us to bring our companions into group dungeons. I mean seriously, players that WANT to group, will still group, but players who cannot find other players or who simply prefer to solo, would get much more out of the game.
    Edited by ADarklore on July 31, 2024 9:39AM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Absolutely! In FFXIV, they now allow three NPC companions to replace players in MSQ dungeons. It's time ZOS begins to realize that older MMOs tend to lose population, and with loss of population, means loss of players to group with. So it only makes sense for them to add the ability for us to bring our companions into group dungeons. I mean seriously, players that WANT to group, will still group, but players who cannot find other players or who simply prefer to solo, would get much more out of the game.

ESO will have a lot of pain when the inevitable decline of the population hits a certain point. I already see "incursion events" in the game that are ignored for long periods of time. I am guessing that many World Bosses are the same, with any boss that cannot be done solo standing around unchallenged for long periods of time.

For 4 weeks starting in early August, players will be doing Blackwood Oblivion portals. This is the time to do that content, if unable to solo the entire thing. The other 48 weeks of the year, you are lucky if you find anyone in them. :neutral: (Pro Tip: The first week or so of the four weeks will be the best time to do them. Once people start to get that Achievement, they will go do something else.)

The thing is that the design of Companions is clear that they don't expect them to replace players. Limited abilities. Limited Armor. They may be helpful, but they are not "player helpful". My figuring is that if a player thinks they need a companion to solo something, they are probably able to solo it without the companion, or pretty close to it.

I don't think that ZOS is going to arrive at the position where Companions are viable dungeon partners. At least, not until they are forced into it, and by then, it might be too late.

Edit: wording changes to clarify point.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 31, 2024 12:50PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I would prefer that companions be improved (better logic for getting out of damage, buffing the older companions, etc.) than have Tamriel be a place where each player has the potential to be trailed by 3 NPCs, which would likely impact performance and make it even harder to see and target real players vs companions in group fight settings.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Elsonso wrote: »
    ADarklore wrote: »

ESO will have a lot of pain when the inevitable decline of the population hits a certain point. I already see "incursion events" in the game that are ignored for long periods of time. I am guessing that many World Bosses are the same, with any boss that cannot be done solo standing around unchallenged for long periods of time.

For 4 weeks starting in early August, players will be doing Blackwood Oblivion portals. This is the time to do that content, if unable to solo the entire thing. The other 48 weeks of the year, you are lucky if you find anyone in them. :neutral: (Pro Tip: The first week or so of the four weeks will be the best time to do them. Once people start to get that Achievement, they will go do something else.)

The thing is that the design of Companions is clear that they don't expect them to replace players. Limited abilities. Limited Armor. They may be helpful, but they are not "player helpful". My figuring is that if a player thinks they need a companion to solo something, they are probably able to solo it without the companion, or pretty close to it.

I don't think that ZOS is going to arrive at the position where Companions are viable dungeon partners. At least, not until they are forced into it, and by then, it might be too late.

Edit: wording changes to clarify point.

theres not really a ton of reason to do WB or incursion events a ton

for me, they are good at filling out the collection book, but once you have all the gear, the rest of the drops are pretty much garbage

ill usually fill out the collections way before i finish 30 dailies worth, but once i finish all of those there really isnt much of a reason to kill them unless i see someone asking for help/passing by someone waiting for the boss to be killed

the incursions sometimes have decent things like furnishing plans, but the drop rate on those feels too low to bother with, i think i only got 1 furnishing plan drop from the mirrormoor incursions out of the 60 some that i ended up doing
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    the incursions sometimes have decent things like furnishing plans, but the drop rate on those feels too low to bother with, i think i only got 1 furnishing plan drop from the mirrormoor incursions out of the 60 some that i ended up doing

I have only done a few Mirrormoor incursions. The starting battles are a little too far away and the love of invulnerable phases is too prominent. I suppose if I did more of them, or we had a Psijic skill to go 15 seconds forward in time, it wouldn't be so bad, but I am not doing any Gold Road content anymore, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never paid attention to whatever furniture drop they had in Gold Road. The drop rate for whatever they were dropping at Summerset incursions earlier this year was horrible. I think it was some weapon style page. It felt a little like the poor kid in Christmas Vacation that was offered a whole quarter if he rubbed his grandmother's foot. :smile: What I have learned is that if ZOS puts some "rare drop" at an incursion, it probably wayyy more effort than it is worth.

Additional companions might be able to help do incursions that are difficult to solo, mainly by providing enough distraction to keep the riffraff away from the player while the incursion is finished. However, if the player is doing that for some sort of rare drop, it really doesn't matter how many companions are out. It matters how many incursions can be done before the player goes off to do something more interesting, like watching the clothes tumble in the dryer or grass grow. :neutral:

I don't see multiple companions being all that useful in grindy situations, since it is the repetition that is the real challenge. If ZOS allowed more companions, and then improved the odds based on how many were active, we would have something interesting.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus