Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once?

• Gingaroth
    Gingaroth
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Calastir wrote: »
    No. There is enough visual clutter already.
    It could work for normal dungeons I guess, but those can be done with just 1 companion. And in my opinion, not everything should cater to the minority of players who absolutely refuse to communicate with others. 90%+ of the game is already extremely solo-friendly.
    'Minority' you say? The majority of this poll is in favor...

Forum demographic is kinda detached from the actual ingame population, though. Here we mostly have people with very strong opinions, including radically antisocial folks.
    In the actual game most people group up when they need help and stuff.
    Well in that case you've got nothing to worry about, since you're so convinced that hardly anyone will use this proposed option anyway.

That is not what I said.
    People use all the summons all the time, even without practical reasons. Look at all the flappy pets, christmas tree mounts and other stuff. Not to mention dozens of Embers and Bastians in every major city. That is what I personally find annoying, there is simply too much visual clutter which make the game look less immersive.
    Secondly, the game is already extremely easy and solo-friendly and I am against removing any incentives to group up. I am saying this as someone who joined the game thinking I will be a solo-only player, mind you. And now, 9 years later, I play this game exclusively because of the social aspect. I am not saying that you should be forced to group for everything like in the first mmos, but having some incentive to play with others can lead to awesome experiences that would not be possible in any other type of game.

I get your point about visual clutter.

I don't like many of the more flashy mounts and teleports either, and I wish they'd give us an option to hide their special effects. Massive gatherings of identical companions can be bad for emersion. This was especially true when there were just 2 companions, and there were like 20 Bastians and 30 Mirri’s at every harrowstorm.

Other people's companions are not visible within cities though, and turning ‘limit folower’s in town’ on (under Settings; Gameplay; General) will hide some -not all- summoned pets from view.

Your second argument I don’t get. What’s your problem with other people soloing stuff?
    Are you worried that if people use companions more, there will be too few players left to reliably pug?
    Or do you assume that because it turned out you like grouped content, this must also be true for all others? We all just don’t realize it yet, and need to be shown the way?

I’ve tried random dungeons, I’ve tried trials, I’ve tried grouped world boss/world event runs. Generally speaking, I didn’t find it awesome at all.

I’m struggling to keep pace while in groups. I have no time to enjoy the surroundings, to listen to the npc’s, or to learn about the plot of the quest. Usually I don’t even have the chance to type ‘chest’ or something similar in the group chat before I’m pulled into the next encounter in progress.

Furthermore, you seem to equate being social, and ‘playing with others’, with doing grouped content. They’re not necessarily the same thing. Someone choosing to play solo at a particular moment doesn't make them 'radically antisocial ' or 'absolutely refuse to communicate with others'.

Last Zenetar’s festival was an example of encouraging players to group. Doing bosses or world events while grouped was the quickest way to earn boxes. So at the request of a guildmate, I teamed up and instead of honoring the god of crafts and trades with, well, crafting and trading, I spend my time racing from vent to vent, spamming scattershot into the gathered masses just hoping I’d hit an opponent I could not even see for the crowd. Most of the time, I didn’t even spot my guildmate either. We hardly spoke a word to each other, except for ‘thanks for group’ a few hours later. Didn’t seem a very social event to me.

When I’m soloing I can keep my own, slow, pace, and meanwhile I’ve got time to keep an eye on guild- and zone chat. I can take breaks to answer questions, craft gear for training or research, mail materials to starting crafters, show new guildies the way around the guild house, play taxi, help strangers out with world bosses, and so on.
    I can’t do that in most grouped content, and certainly not during random dungeons or trials.
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Gingaroth wrote: »
    It could work for normal dungeons I guess, but those can be done with just 1 companion. And in my opinion, not everything should cater to the minority of players who absolutely refuse to communicate with others. 90%+ of the game is already extremely solo-friendly.

Forum demographic is kinda detached from the actual ingame population, though. Here we mostly have people with very strong opinions, including radically antisocial folks.
    Well in that case you've got nothing to worry about, since you're so convinced that hardly anyone will use this proposed option anyway.

That is not what I said.
    People use all the summons all the time, even without practical reasons. Look at all the flappy pets, christmas tree mounts and other stuff. Not to mention dozens of Embers and Bastians in every major city. That is what I personally find annoying, there is simply too much visual clutter which make the game look less immersive.
    Secondly, the game is already extremely easy and solo-friendly and I am against removing any incentives to group up. I am saying this as someone who joined the game thinking I will be a solo-only player, mind you. And now, 9 years later, I play this game exclusively because of the social aspect. I am not saying that you should be forced to group for everything like in the first mmos, but having some incentive to play with others can lead to awesome experiences that would not be possible in any other type of game.

I don't like many of the more flashy mounts and teleports either, and I wish they'd give us an option to hide their special effects. Massive gatherings of identical companions can be bad for emersion. This was especially true when there were just 2 companions, and there were like 20 Bastians and 30 Mirri’s at every harrowstorm.

Other people's companions are not visible within cities though, and turning ‘limit folower’s in town’ on (under Settings; Gameplay; General) will hide some -not all- summoned pets from view.

Your second argument I don’t get. What’s your problem with other people soloing stuff?
    Are you worried that if people use companions more, there will be too few players left to reliably pug?
    Or do you assume that because it turned out you like grouped content, this must also be true for all others? We all just don’t realize it yet, and need to be shown the way?

I’ve tried random dungeons, I’ve tried trials, I’ve tried grouped world boss/world event runs. Generally speaking, I didn’t find it awesome at all.

I’m struggling to keep pace while in groups. I have no time to enjoy the surroundings, to listen to the npc’s, or to learn about the plot of the quest. Usually I don’t even have the chance to type ‘chest’ or something similar in the group chat before I’m pulled into the next encounter in progress.

Furthermore, you seem to equate being social, and ‘playing with others’, with doing grouped content. They’re not necessarily the same thing. Someone choosing to play solo at a particular moment doesn't make them 'radically antisocial ' or 'absolutely refuse to communicate with others'.

Last Zenetar’s festival was an example of encouraging players to group. Doing bosses or world events while grouped was the quickest way to earn boxes. So at the request of a guildmate, I teamed up and instead of honoring the god of crafts and trades with, well, crafting and trading, I spend my time racing from vent to vent, spamming scattershot into the gathered masses just hoping I’d hit an opponent I could not even see for the crowd. Most of the time, I didn’t even spot my guildmate either. We hardly spoke a word to each other, except for ‘thanks for group’ a few hours later. Didn’t seem a very social event to me.

When I’m soloing I can keep my own, slow, pace, and meanwhile I’ve got time to keep an eye on guild- and zone chat. I can take breaks to answer questions, craft gear for training or research, mail materials to starting crafters, show new guildies the way around the guild house, play taxi, help strangers out with world bosses, and so on.
    I can’t do that in most grouped content, and certainly not during random dungeons or trials.

Bolded the parts I am replying to.

1. I have seen this attitude in regards to soo many things. 'How do you know you won't like it if you haven't tried it?' and to me, it can be really infantilizing to have people constantly try to say I don't know my own tastes/mind.

I don't mind grouping with others, but preferred game mode is solo. There are many reasons for this. I don't know if I can adequately fill the role I signed up for (seeing all the threads about 'fake' whatever, and people becoming toxic if you can't meet their standards doesn't help), don't know if I will have the time (I have heard various times for dungeons from like 30 minutes to 2 hours I believe, depending on the dungeon), prefer to team up with people I at least have interacted with before, and just like to take my time going through dungeons, at least the first time. It tends to be too much of a hassle for me to deal with it, so I prefer to not team up.

Others might have different reasons for not wanting to group up with people, especially random people they have never interacted with and likely will never interact with again.

Giving those types of people options, especially options where the optimal solution is to team up (because as said, companions can't do mechanics, and are inferior to actual players in every way) would potentially get *more* people to be willing to group up, once they can do that content on their own, and then realize that it is just better with a group. Sure, some people wouldn't group up, but most of those people would never have grouped up in the first place. I really doubt there would be many people, who are already willing to group up, who would now just refuse to group up ever, if they got the ability to use companions instead of needing to group.

2. I thought for a minute you might have been the person I teamed up with during Zenithar's. We started out doing Harrowstorms, but then went out and annihilated WBs to help me clear some I had been missing. We did talk some, but not much, but it was fun. I don't mind that kind of encouragement, where there are ways to do the content (get boxes) without needing to group, but grouping is obviously better to obtain the boxes.

I have seen a lot of people (not just about ESO, but basically about any online game) who equate being online = multiplayer and multiplayer = must be forced to interact with other players. It doesn't matter the type of game, they think that if you sign up to a game that is online and has some multiplayer aspects (even if that aspect is the ability to put your items up for sale and have someone else buy them, with no point of contact between the two other than clicking a button), then you signed up to be social. They don't seem to understand that not everyone wants to be social, or wants to be social at all times. (or if they do understand them not wanting to be social, they feel they should be forced to be social).

I personally don't understand that attitude. I would rather group with people who want to be grouped, rather than people who are only grouping because they want to do the content, and have no other way to do it.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

That is not what I said.

The last Zenithar event was stupid. I only got a few boxes because I didn't try to find a guild group to join for that.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    The last Zenithar event was stupid. I only got a few boxes because I didn't try to find a guild group to join for that.

I'm personally more bothered by the fact that killing world bosses has nothing to do with what the Zenithar festival stands for lorewise.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

I'm personally more bothered by the fact that killing world bosses has nothing to do with what the Zenithar festival stands for lorewise.
    The ESO festival events are pretty loose in their lore intepretation. I present Exhibit W: the witch's festival decorations, which resemble Halloween decorations, from a planet a long, long way away in another universe to Nirn.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I agree that should be an issue, but they wanted to "force" an activity as best they could and I am growing more and more bothered by so many games "forcing" such things.

Yeah, some will respond saying it is not forced, but give me a break. Making it the best way to earn boxes for the event when the normal things (crafting and sales) earned very few - and a SINGLE BOX for a full set of daily crafting writs) was abhorrent.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    The ESO festival events are pretty loose in their lore intepretation. I present Exhibit W: the witch's festival decorations, which resemble Halloween decorations, from a planet a long, long way away in another universe to Nirn.

I mean, one can argue how silly it is, but at least they tried to make up lore about some weird pumpkin daedra for that:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Hollowjack

They also have a good explanation for what Zenithar and the Zenithar festival stand for - they could just stick to that when it comes to event rewards.

Edited by Syldras on July 23, 2024 3:53AM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I mean, one can argue how silly it is, but at least they tried to make up lore about some weird pumpkin daedra for that:

They also have a good explanation for what Zenithar and the Zenithar festival stand for - they could just stick to that when it comes to event rewards.

Zenithar is probably like the Anniversary event where players who weren’t crafters felt left out, so they tried to add more things for others to do. I just think it’s laughable that stealing is included. That’s generally not considered “hard work”.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• onyxorb
    onyxorb
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    And who says I want to summon them to use in dungeons anyway?
    I just want to look at me and all of my buddies riding in a row on matching mounts every once in a while.

I never knew I needed my own posse in this game until you mentioned it!

Mount up! We Ride!

<3
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Zenithar is probably like the Anniversary event where players who weren’t crafters felt left out, so they tried to add more things for others to do. I just think it’s laughable that stealing is included. That’s generally not considered “hard work”.

I think stealing makes more sense because you could consider it stealing a package that the commoner npc has received the normal way. But in arenas, world events or the Archive? Where would it even come from? With some beast WB you could probably at least make up that they've eaten a traveller.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Including those was not as bad as making those the way to get the most chests and drastically limiting them on the normal crafting things.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Up to 3 - yes.

After a quest chain.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    IMO just having so many companions running around already causes too many performance issues. Performance will just be worse with even more.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    There's a small segment of players that currently operate with a companion and both combat and non-combat pets.
    I'm not sure how I feel about them expanding their entourage to 5.

(requirements not met)
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yt
    ProudMary wrote: »
    IMO just having so many companions running around already causes too many performance issues. Performance will just be worse with even more.

Perhaps this could be allowed only in instanced areas like group dungeons and not overland.

Not to mention it would be total overkill in overland.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I picked "Other" only because I think it needs limitations so that everyone would not be running around with 2 Combat pet, 3 Companions and a Non-combat pet...

In a Dungeon or Trial (Instanced locations) if a player wanted to fill a role with a companion, why not... it may even be fun to try to run a trial with 3 players and 9 companions but that would be as far as I would want to see this idea go... and in each case, the companion would need to be assigned to the role...

I am not sure if I would want a player and 3 companions to do a "Random Normal" but I if I was allowed I may also find it fun to try...

I also wonder how the Companion level would equate... level 20 to Level 160? CP what?
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    There's a small segment of players that currently operate with a companion and both combat and non-combat pets.
    I'm not sure how I feel about them expanding their entourage to 5.
    As they're both customer and user surely what matters most is how they feel. Other players are not npc's for our amusement.

Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    As they're both customer and user surely what matters most is how they feel. Other players are not npc's for our amusement.

I don't think it's only a matter of taste. I'm personally not against being able to play with several companions at once, but if there are performance issues or issues with companion hordes blocking the sight - that also has an effect for other players and should be taken into consideration (that's why I think that limiting the use of a companion group to group dungeons might be reasonable - actually no one could disagree with that, as that doesn't affect other people and no other player will ever see it).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I don't think it's only a matter of taste. I'm personally not against being able to play with several companions at once, but if there are performance issues or issues with companion hordes blocking the sight - that also has an effect for other players and should be taken into consideration (that's why I think that limiting the use of a companion group to group dungeons might be reasonable - actually no one could disagree with that, as that doesn't affect other people and no other player will ever see it).

That is why a "compromise" would be to allow the full set in Dungeons, but not other places.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ember: "fishing is ruining my fun!"

Sharp: "skill issue..."
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    If they were useful maybe but I don't really use them at all. They are in the way, make a fuzz when I break the law and not very good at combat sadly.
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would love to be able to take a full team of companions into instanced content and take my time with the story. I'd need to be able to give them commands though, like stand on this spot until this other thing happens.

I don't know that I would want a whole flock of them following me around in overland, although it would help with world bosses make the world feel more populated at a glance. I'm sure it would annoy others and possibly cause lag. Maybe ZOS could make companions only visible to others during combat.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but only for group content like dungeons. We don't need companions swarming a zone.

Also ZOS, please give companions the ability to interrupt group mechanics. 🙏
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Artim_X wrote: »
    Yes, but only for group content like dungeons. We don't need companions swarming a zone.

companions can on some bosses, though it depends on their AI being proper

melee companions can interrupt bosses with interruptible lockdown mechanics, but others like wayrest 2 that require interaction with something, or a few others (fang lair, fungal 2, etc) that require needing the companion targeting to kill something they might not work great for because they are too single target, and i dont know if they can be commanded or deal enough dmg to free you in time

a tank companion *can* take the hit for you in cradle of shadows, but they will always die due to the lockdown mechanic so you have to keep rezzing them

on another note i still find it hilarious how people think having a player + 3 companions would be "too many pets" lol, i came from a game with an actual pet summon class which had a minimum of 6 pets (up to about 8-15 depending on build), these were crazy when you had a group of 8 players all using these builds lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Vonnegut2506
    Vonnegut2506
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Artim_X wrote: »

Companions do a better job interrupting than most dps I run random dungeons with.
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For dailies companions are fairly decent company, however sometimes too weak and when you get harder and harder WBs or dailies with each new DLC/Zone - multiple companion would help at times when player population is low.
  • ercknn
    ercknn
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    When this game begins to sunset due to dwindling player base numbers I think having 3 companions to do dungeons with should be a mandatory upgrade.

All in all it’s a fun idea though
  • Stafford197
    Stafford197
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Should be allowed in instanced group content! That would be fun for a lot of players who just want to play solo and make full Companion group comps.

Not anywhere else though (like Overland).
  • fedouva
    fedouva
    ✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    you can always visit any dungeon alone, there are people who pass them solo so it's not a problem)
  • Khold90
    Khold90
    Soul Shriven
    Other (Explain)
    Another vote for "only in instanced content".

I really enjoyed garrison squadron missions in FFXIV (like trusts but only for select dungeons up to level 60), especially since it was a great way to level them up. Plus the missions didn't reward player gear, it rewarded stuff for the squadron members with an uncommon drop of what is basically the equivalent of purple upgrade materials.

ESO equivalent could be instead of premium undaunted exploration supplies, if set to companions only it could be something like 75/25 chance for a purple/blue companion piece of gear + 250 rapport for members used. Then after that daily clear is over it becomes 50/50 purple/blue and 50 rapport. As well as the big chunk of exp because levelling them is still woeful.

Maybe even add in a low chance for an extra purple bound companion piece when the player is in full 160 purple+ gear. That way the player is still incentivised to gear up in order to drastically cut down on time, guiding them into regular group content or to interact with others for crafted gear/getting gold for marketplace purchases.

While I love the idea, absolutely not in open world areas. The lack of helmets and "headless chicken cluster" would be more unbearable than it is currently.