Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once?

• FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    My problem with companions mechanically is that in content you could really use the help in they die too quickly to be helpful. Also, I don't like the stories so I just stopped using them. Maybe I just don't understand how to use companions. Either way, I do think more options for play is a win.

They are very basic, would be nice if their AI was improved.
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I haven't read this thread, so someone probably already said this, but...

I'd love to be able to have 3 companions out and have them banter with each other. I'd be fine if this was only an option in group dungeons.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    If Zenimax did offer this, limiting a group to 4 in a dungeon would be simple. That would be the case for every player that joined the group, and one companion disappears. If it is a full 4-player group, no companions would be available for any player.

• Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what do you need companions for, other than roleplay?

90% of the game is ultra casual and easy, and for any endgame content that a companion would actually be beneficial in, they're either laughably weak or inaccessible!

• GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Their AI is so bad that it is not worth having them around at all. They keep standing on *** and dying like idiots. If the AI of companions were like FF14 dungeon helper AI, it would have been worth having them out.
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Rowjoh wrote: »

90% of the game is ultra casual and easy, and for any endgame content that a companion would actually be beneficial in, they're either laughably weak or inaccessible!

They quite literally said it would be for Bastion Nymic or dungeons.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Syldras wrote: »
    I think it could be useful when doing group content alone, but imagine the chaos when everyone has their 3 companions out all the time, also during busy hours. You know that some people would. So there either had to be a limitation to group dungeons/instances, or an option to disable seeing other people's companions.

I voted Yes thinking of this alternative. I would try them overland of course, but they would have quite a bit of value in simpler dungeons and other normal "group" things.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    RexyCat wrote: »
    I think it could be useful when doing group content alone, but imagine the chaos when everyone has their 3 companions out all the time, also during busy hours. You know that some people would. So there either had to be a limitation to group dungeons/instances, or an option to disable seeing other people's companions.

I would imagine that it would also tank ZoS server as for more calculation and bandwidth (both internal and between client and server) as companion would use AoE which then need to be limited in over world gameplay as that adds a lot of extra calculation.

In GW2 for some years ago there where changes for both range and number of targets on AoE and a lot of skill had to be adjusted down from how many targets they could have and reduced in range. The main reason that change was that with AoEs it caused a lot calculation and that taxed performance in game.

Even when Companion will become invisible for other player that would mean a lot action would happen that you wouldn't see in that case and I don't think it is a good solution when performance can get reduced and you have no idea if there was too many players around or too many players with companions.

As for dungeons it is better to have people work together then introducing even more reason why some players can play a MMO all solo without any interaction with other players. Another issue here is how would reward system work if player can have a team of companion do the same work as 3 other players and get same reward as other that have to put time and effort to form a group and finish that dungeon? Should those player with all companion in dungeon have the same reward or will they complain until they also get the same reward as other with real player?

I don't think this suggestion to have 3 companion at once would be good for the future of this game if there was allowed with more companion that we have today.

You fail to realize that many of us will just skip content we can't solo.

I did do my first Trial recently with the HoF endeavor, but that will still not be a norm for me.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I use mine all the time. I never role play.

They help enough to be worthwhile.

This is like saying I could only run my Pet Sorc main without any of the combat "pets".
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    Nobody is suggesting that we drop group content. It's about giving players who aren't like you other options. There are a significant number of people who play MMOs but have no interest (or can't) group, but they'd like to experience content like dungeons. Giving players other options won't hurt you in any way because they wouldn't group with you anyway. You'd still have your group content to do with other people, and you'd still be able to work on your common goals with those people. It wouldn't take anything away from you and the way you like to play the game.

I find the "it's purely for solo, it won't affect group content" kind of argument very misleading.
    Regardless of the fact that lots of players choose to play eso solo, we are still in multiplayer setting and changes aren't introduced selectively. Every change that is being made affects every single player. Not in the same way maybe, but still.

And while adding more soloability options to group content might not affect players that enjoy it currently, when thinking long therm what's the point in creating meaningful group content if everything can be done in single-player mode? We've already seen the reduction in the amount of dungeons released yearly. I would attribute this to focusing more and more on solo play. I wouldn't like this trend to continue.

And another thing. Maybe it's a forum thing only, but it seems like every example of bad player behavior in group content it's being turned into argument in favor of introducing more solo options. It's like the only response for any bad experience with other players is to remove the players from the content whatsoever...
    Like the speeding/faking in randoms. The reason for it is crap reward structure in rnd's. The solution would be to change this structure. But it seems like, especially in recent few years, the default convo is: if people do something that I don't like, give solo option.
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    RexyCat wrote: »

I would imagine that it would also tank ZoS server as for more calculation and bandwidth (both internal and between client and server) as companion would use AoE which then need to be limited in over world gameplay as that adds a lot of extra calculation.

In GW2 for some years ago there where changes for both range and number of targets on AoE and a lot of skill had to be adjusted down from how many targets they could have and reduced in range. The main reason that change was that with AoEs it caused a lot calculation and that taxed performance in game.

Even when Companion will become invisible for other player that would mean a lot action would happen that you wouldn't see in that case and I don't think it is a good solution when performance can get reduced and you have no idea if there was too many players around or too many players with companions.

As for dungeons it is better to have people work together then introducing even more reason why some players can play a MMO all solo without any interaction with other players. Another issue here is how would reward system work if player can have a team of companion do the same work as 3 other players and get same reward as other that have to put time and effort to form a group and finish that dungeon? Should those player with all companion in dungeon have the same reward or will they complain until they also get the same reward as other with real player?

I don't think this suggestion to have 3 companion at once would be good for the future of this game if there was allowed with more companion that we have today.

You fail to realize that many of us will just skip content we can't solo.

I did do my first Trial recently with the HoF endeavor, but that will still not be a norm for me.

This is exactly why they should at least be a possibility and if people don't like the option then don't use them.
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only if there was a special solo queue for daily transmutes.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    We've already seen the reduction in the amount of dungeons released yearly. I would attribute this to focusing more and more on solo play.

The whole Q4 story dlc was removed, too.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    We've already seen the reduction in the amount of dungeons released yearly. I would attribute this to focusing more and more on solo play.

Point being?
    Yes, they made multiple cuts.
    Doesn't change the fact that what they choose to cut reflects their priorities.
  • KaosWarMonk
    KaosWarMonk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    When doing group content sure.

Overland, general running around etc, no.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Point being?

You attribute the fact that they removed the Q3 dlc (two group dungeons) to them focussing on solo players, while ignoring that the Q4 dlc (new area with officially 15 hours of story content - that's basically half the size of the yearly Q2 chapter), was removed as well. I'm not interested in a "who has it worse" contest, as I find that mindset silly, but I don't see a shift towards one part of the playerbase, I just see an overall reduction of production efforts. We all get less.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Point being?

If anything, I think we can say that they are interested in group and multiplayer content. Gold Road and Necrom included previously solo-able achievements that now include multiplayer requirements. Bastion Nymic doubles down on multiplayer. Infinite Archive includes a solo mode, it is biased to multiplayer. Companions are considered equivalent to real players, but everyone knows they are basically configurable pets that talk a lot. Housing Tours is poor headline material, but it is multiplayer content. The PVP content coming in 4Q, no matter what it turns out to be, will be multiplayer. They delayed the new Companion solo content by half a year.

Multiple active companions is enhanced solo content. In battles that matter, they are either dead or not really contributing, so they are solo battles. Given the last few Updates, and the general scaling back of new content, I would be surprised beyond belief if they even considered the idea longer than it took to read it.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Point being?

You attribute the fact that they removed the Q3 dlc (two group dungeons) to them focussing on solo players, while ignoring that the Q4 dlc (new area with officially 15 hours of story content - that's basically half the size of the yearly Q2 chapter), was removed as well. I'm not interested in a "who has it worse" contest, as I find that mindset silly, but I don't see a shift towards one part of the playerbase, I just see an overall reduction of production efforts. We all get less.

I'm not ignoring anything, it seems like we are talking about 2 different things that are not mutually exclusive.

While I am aware of other cuts, I don't assume they're all happening for the same reasons. I just choose to not comment about story content, because I don't play it enough to form a valid opinion.

What I was trying to say is that I can see eso shifting it's focus from dedicated group content (with recent dungeons reduced quantity and quality) to systems that either strenghten solo experience or enable tackling more and more content without engaging other players (simplification of combat, companions, card game, IA). And yes, I am attributing this shift to the players preferences.
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Elsonso wrote: »
    If anything, I think we can say that they are interested in group and multiplayer content. Gold Road and Necrom included previously solo-able achievements that now include multiplayer requirements.

Tbh this looks like an attempt to direct activity to the older content instead of making new one. That's quite smart, especially when supplemented with endeavours (first the HoF one for farming Gold Road lead and now AS one, shortly after Clockwork dlc was a login reward).
    And it's perfectly fine, it's really good content, that could use some attention from players that wouldn't go there spontaneously. But I doubt the main reason for all this incentive spree is a sudden love for trials ;)
    Bastion Nymic doubles down on multiplayer. Infinite Archive includes a solo mode, it is biased to multiplayer.

Maybe I'm biased, but I wouldn't call Nymics a group content. They should be open like oblivion portals, and there is no reason for all the entry hassle.

Aside, both those places have an option to go solo (the only limitation being players skills). Archive was partially designed for it. So far we were getting group content (dungeons and trials) dedicated and designed for teams of players fulfilling specific roles. And the new things we're getting so far are either meant for or at least include solo playstyle. That might not be a disinterest, but it's definitely a shift.

At the same time "classic" group content is being reduced, in multiple ways. The recent two dungeons, aside from the reduction in number, are much less engaging than previous 6. The recent two trials have lots of gimmicks, but not as much "combat meat" as some of the previous ones. Multiplying add pulls ad nauseam, mixing in bigger adds instead of mini bossess in Sanity's, the whole Chimera fight, full of fluff just to make it longer. Lucent is a very fun concept, but you are practically spending one third of the trial going backwards. Through waves and waves and waaaaves of adds... ;) If you compare this to 5 fully fledged bossess in HoF or DSR it falls a bit short.

As for companions, regardless of the quality of their design, they were very clearly introduced to assist solo players. And it seems like they work quite well, considering how popular they are.
    Edited by alpha_synuclein on July 16, 2024 2:56PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Point being?

If anything, I think we can say that they are interested in group and multiplayer content. Gold Road and Necrom included previously solo-able achievements that now include multiplayer requirements. Bastion Nymic doubles down on multiplayer. Infinite Archive includes a solo mode, it is biased to multiplayer. Companions are considered equivalent to real players, but everyone knows they are basically configurable pets that talk a lot. Housing Tours is poor headline material, but it is multiplayer content. The PVP content coming in 4Q, no matter what it turns out to be, will be multiplayer. They delayed the new Companion solo content by half a year.

Multiple active companions is enhanced solo content. In battles that matter, they are either dead or not really contributing, so they are solo battles. Given the last few Updates, and the general scaling back of new content, I would be surprised beyond belief if they even considered the idea longer than it took to read it.

bastion nymics are soloable, having companions or more players though definitely helps make it "go faster"

for the archive, its definitely easier with 2 players, the only part i would say is scaled better for 2 players though is the bonus portals, those are significantly easier to do 2 player
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Companions already don't do mechanics in dungeons so they're still useless there. Companions need actual buffs like AoE damage reduction or negation. We can have a full trial group of Companions and they'll be floor tanks before the first boss.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    What for?
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Roleplay isn't enough of a reason? It is a roleplaying game, after all.

Okay, that was tongue-in-cheek, but that is my reason to want them.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    As a Sorcerer, I can already have up to 5 companions out at the same time. Two pets, One Companion, One Proccing Monster helm spawn pet, 1 Proccing Golden Sword pet from Crafter Morkuldin. How many more pets do I need? 6 Actually if I have my Ultimate Atronach available.
    Edited by SteveCampsOut on July 16, 2024 10:57PM
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    If only so the speed runners can queue with their companions for their daily normal and stop annoying everyone else
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Point being?

bastion nymics are soloable, having companions or more players though definitely helps make it "go faster"

for the archive, its definitely easier with 2 players, the only part i would say is scaled better for 2 players though is the bonus portals, those are significantly easier to do 2 player

They are soloable only like Harrowstorms are soloable.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Point being?

harrowstorms are soloable lol, ive done that too, again just takes a lot longer than with a group of people

ive almost solo a dragon before too, but those are a lot harder since it shows up on map when the dragon is getting low health, makes more people flock to them, the furthest ive solod a dragon was getting it down to about 45% hp before other players showed up

one of the harder incursion events to solo is the anka-ra sites in craglorn where you have to defend the priest, who is very fragile (~164k hp) and cannot be healed
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The only thing that makes Harrowstorms difficult is that it seems almost no one understands the mechanics and ignore the lost souls.

When lost souls reach the pikes, they heal the pikes and summon mini bosses after a certain number reach them.

They are easy to solo by focusing on the lost souls and using ults and ground AEs to destroy the pikes. That way no minis spawn.
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Is the player character really needed? Couldn’t it be like the crafting hirelings, where you get mail with your rewards for doing nothing?

“Dear boss, nothing this time, we wiped.”
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    I find when I only have time to play late at night there are much less people online and I struggle to find groups for group dailies such as bastion nymics or dungeons. I think in certain cases it would be nice to use 3 of my companions to fulfil various roles. Yes, they will never be able to replace a player in terms of skill or output. However it can fill the void of the lack of players at non-peak times. Yes, you can solo a lot in this game but certain content is designed for a group and if you can't find a group this would be an ideal use of an already existing system.

Imagine trying to loot something with three companions in the way.