Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once?

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I know some of you can solo Harrowstorms with your hands tied behind your back, but many of us have no hope of that, even if we focus on the lost souls and a single pillar. I have tried it with another and I couldn't make any progress after 1/2 hour. Sorry, but many things are never going to be easy for most to solo.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Woozywyvern
    Woozywyvern
    ✭✭✭
    No
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    And another thing. Maybe it's a forum thing only, but it seems like every example of bad player behavior in group content it's being turned into argument in favor of introducing more solo options. It's like the only response for any bad experience with other players is to remove the players from the content whatsoever...
    Like the speeding/faking in randoms. The reason for it is crap reward structure in rnd's. The solution would be to change this structure. But it seems like, especially in recent few years, the default convo is: if people do something that I don't like, give solo option.

Bad experience with other players is nothing to do with a crap reward structure. It's all to do with people's selfishness, rudeness and inability to think of other players.
    'What we do in life, echoes through Eternity.'
  • onyxorb
    onyxorb
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    When companions came out we were HYPED for that possibility of being able to do random dungeon queues with just us (spouse and I), and our companions. However that never became an option.

Sure , we can just walk into a dungeon and complete it that way, but we miss out on all the perks of the queue.

Althought, I wonder if doing content with 3 companions is really a good idea.
    I can totally see them fighting each other more than the monsters since their personalities are all over the place. :D

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I know some of you can solo Harrowstorms with your hands tied behind your back, but many of us have no hope of that, even if we focus on the lost souls and a single pillar. I have tried it with another and I couldn't make any progress after 1/2 hour. Sorry, but many things are never going to be easy for most to solo.

This is why I always tell low power players to use AOE and AOE CC, and not to focus on a single pillar. Toss CC on multiple pillars and focus on ghosts. Use dots and aoes to kill the pillars. It's the bosses that cause this to happen. And the bosses spawn due to ghosts.
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

This is why I always tell low power players to use AOE and AOE CC, and not to focus on a single pillar. Toss CC on multiple pillars and focus on ghosts. Use dots and aoes to kill the pillars. It's the bosses that cause this to happen. And the bosses spawn due to ghosts.

Yeah. Even if a solo player focuses on killing the lost souls on two pikes to start, it will slow the miniboss generation enough to make them easily manageable.

The ring of the wild hunt is useful here.
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Maybe in an instance and only if the companions are made to stay further away at all times.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Desiato wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Yeah. Even if a solo player focuses on killing the lost souls on two pikes to start, it will slow the miniboss generation enough to make them easily manageable.

The ring of the wild hunt is useful here.

Yes. I also like to recommend time stop or caltrops to help with that because they are AOE CC. Those skills are good at assisting with that and are available to every class.
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, if only out of curiosity. I have one as a tank, one as a group healer and another fairly good DPS; I'd like to see how (and if) they worked together. I agree that it should only be for dungeons and content such as Bastion Nymics. Hm, they would need to enable companions to heal other companions in the same group.
  • VvwvenomwvV
    VvwvenomwvV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine this: You collect insect parts ( from a butterfly ), and it angers one companion, you use it to go fishing and you anger another companion, and the other companion doesn't like large groups of people. Sounds like a typical day. 😆
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Imagine this: You collect insect parts ( from a butterfly ), and it angers one companion, you use it to go fishing and you anger another companion, and the other companion doesn't like large groups of people. Sounds like a typical day. 😆

This is why I suggested to add a daily endeavor to annoy your companion a certain number of times (not replace, but add) yet too many could find the humor in that and whined that getting endeavors was enough of a challenge that they couldn't handle an additional OPTIONAL endeavor....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • onyxorb
    onyxorb
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

This is why I suggested to add a daily endeavor to annoy your companion a certain number of times (not replace, but add) yet too many could find the humor in that and whined that getting endeavors was enough of a challenge that they couldn't handle an additional OPTIONAL endeavor....

Do we have any achievements for getting Companion rapport so negative that they don't show up when you call them?
    We so need that one. :D
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I want to play dungeon with my characters.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    with [1Stam Blade].
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".

2024/08/23
    Farewell Atsuko Tanaka...(-_-) I never forget epic acting for major Motoko Kusanagi.
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted no but I would support such a change if they also made an option to disable seeing other people's companions in the overworld. In high population areas having 2 extra companions for each player would make it a visual disaster.

I think back to anniversary event WB/geysers, it was already a nightmare to see everything on the screen with how many players + companions there were, I wouldn't want something like that to get 2x as bad with no option to remove it.

Edited by Rkindaleft on July 21, 2024 10:33PM
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.
    6/9 Trial Trifecta achievements.
    Tick Tock Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread, so someone probably already said this, but...

I'd love to be able to have 3 companions out and have them banter with each other. I'd be fine if this was only an option in group dungeons.
    Yes, I saw that behaviour when playing Dragon Age: Inquisition recently, and it makes the player + companions group much better.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Companions are meh
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Rkindaleft wrote: »
    I voted no but I would support such a change if they also made an option to disable seeing other people's companions in the overworld. In high population areas having 2 extra companions for each player would make it a visual disaster.

I think back to anniversary event WB/geysers, it was already a nightmare to see everything on the screen with how many players + companions there were, I wouldn't want something like that to get 2x as bad with no option to remove it.

But many repeatedly say that things need to look "crowded" to reinforce the game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, adding one companion was bad enough. We don't need a D&D party worth of them. Want three companions, go play Baldur's Gate III.

This is a MMO, not a single player game. If you want more choice of companions. Go play SWTOR. They have dozens upon dozens of companions to choose from.
  • JimFord047
    JimFord047
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Definitely NO

once the Sorc is in and its little hangers on, plus the per, plus the companion, I cannot make out what I am meant to be looking at!

2 more and there's not enough space on the screen for anything else
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Definitely YES

Infuriating how some continually try to determine other player's gaming preferences.
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I think they would just be clipping into each other constantly and look weird.
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. There is enough visual clutter already.
    It could work for normal dungeons I guess, but those can be done with just 1 companion. And in my opinion, not everything should cater to the minority of players who absolutely refuse to communicate with others. 90%+ of the game is already extremely solo-friendly.
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It could work for normal dungeons I guess, but those can be done with just 1 companion. And in my opinion, not everything should cater to the minority of players who absolutely refuse to communicate with others. 90%+ of the game is already extremely solo-friendly.
    'Minority' you say? The majority of this poll is in favor...

Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Calastir wrote: »

Forum demographic is kinda detached from the actual ingame population, though. Here we mostly have people with very strong opinions, including radically antisocial folks.
    In the actual game most people group up when they need help and stuff.
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Forum demographic is kinda detached from the actual ingame population, though. Here we mostly have people with very strong opinions, including radically antisocial folks.
    Well in that case you've got nothing to worry about, since you're so convinced that hardly anyone will use this proposed option anyway.
  • Gingaroth
    Gingaroth
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Why would the ability so summon multiple companions make me communicate less?
    Most of my in-game communications happens outside of dungeons.
    For example, when I'm crafting stuff for guildies, participating in housing tours, or responding to help requests in zonechat.

And who says I want to summon them to use in dungeons anyway?
    I just want to look at me and all of my buddies riding in a row on matching mounts every once in a while.
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Well in that case you've got nothing to worry about, since you're so convinced that hardly anyone will use this proposed option anyway.

That is not what I said.
    People use all the summons all the time, even without practical reasons. Look at all the flappy pets, christmas tree mounts and other stuff. Not to mention dozens of Embers and Bastians in every major city. That is what I personally find annoying, there is simply too much visual clutter which make the game look less immersive.
    Secondly, the game is already extremely easy and solo-friendly and I am against removing any incentives to group up. I am saying this as someone who joined the game thinking I will be a solo-only player, mind you. And now, 9 years later, I play this game exclusively because of the social aspect. I am not saying that you should be forced to group for everything like in the first mmos, but having some incentive to play with others can lead to awesome experiences that would not be possible in any other type of game.
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    That is not what I said.
    People use all the summons all the time, even without practical reasons. Look at all the flappy pets, christmas tree mounts and other stuff. Not to mention dozens of Embers and Bastians in every major city. That is what I personally find annoying, there is simply too much visual clutter which make the game look less immersive.
    Secondly, the game is already extremely easy and solo-friendly and I am against removing any incentives to group up. I am saying this as someone who joined the game thinking I will be a solo-only player, mind you. And now, 9 years later, I play this game exclusively because of the social aspect. I am not saying that you should be forced to group for everything like in the first mmos, but having some incentive to play with others can lead to awesome experiences that would not be possible in any other type of game.
    Never noticed how other players' companions don't even show in cities? So your annoyance about that is unwarranted. Your biggest worry seems other players (minority of majority) messing up your immersion.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Secondly, the game is already extremely easy and solo-friendly and I am against removing any incentives to group up.

The average person does not know what they want, and has to be pushed into doing something they think they don't actually want, in case they might begin to like it then?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Syldras wrote: »
    Secondly, the game is already extremely easy and solo-friendly and I am against removing any incentives to group up.

The average person does not know what they want, and has to be pushed into doing something they think they don't actually want, in case they might begin to like it then?

There is a difference between pushing and encouraging to try.
    "Pushing" would be locking most of the content/rewards behind group play and pvp.
    Encouraging players to try different things is nothing bad, especially when its the main feature of the game (its in the name). ZOS is already doing that, in fact - we have different events, various types of endeavors and such.
    Edited by PrincessOfThieves on July 22, 2024 6:22PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    There is a difference between pushing and encouraging to try.
    "Pushing" would be locking most of the content/rewards behind group play and pvp.

From my view, encouraging would mean giving additional benefits, while still giving people a choice. Which actually would be the case if every group content could be done with companions, considering that companions with their current combat AI are still inferior to every real, living player.

I don't at all consider companions as a substitute for real players. They're more a less-than-ideal solution for someone who doesn't want or just can't group (there are reasons where grouping is difficult, like playing at nighttime when the server is almost empty, or not being able to commit to other players, to arrange a fixed playtime, because of real world issues - some players who look after a relative who needs permanent care don't know if they will be able to play in one hour or so, or would have to make a spontaneous interruption during a session), to be able to not miss out on some types of content completely.
    Encouraging players to try different things is nothing bad, especially when its the main feature of the game (its in the name).

Online doesn't neccessarily mean playing with others. Some players only enjoy the continuous content additions or that the world looks more lively.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire