Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once?

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    RexyCat wrote: »
    As for dungeons it is better to have people work together

Why exactly?
    RexyCat wrote: »
    Another issue here is how would reward system work if player can have a team of companion do the same work as 3 other players and get same reward as other that have to put time and effort to form a group and finish that dungeon? Should those player with all companion in dungeon have the same reward or will they complain until they also get the same reward as other with real player?

I don't see any issue there. Soloing with 3 companions with all their current AI issues is probably more difficult than doing the content with 3 other real players. And the reward isn't for talking to people, but for getting the content done.

Edited by Syldras on July 8, 2024 6:14PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • AllenaNightWood
    AllenaNightWood
    ✭✭✭
    i agree to some extent but instead of having a pet out have a second companion out also id like to see companion interact with each other if you could have 2 out or if your grouped have them interact while in group assuming there all different
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I like this idea, but maybe just for four Player dungeons, but with the ability to queue as one player +3 companions for the random daily. Blizzard is already doing this with certain dungeons, but the companions are generic iNPCs, not any that you get to keep for other parts of the game.
  • Vonnegut2506
    Vonnegut2506
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I agree with the above poster about letting you use 3 to queue for RND. I don't want to see 3 out in the overland, but in instanced settings all for it.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Desiato wrote: »
    Even if it was restricted to instances, I think it would ultimately be bad for the community. It is better for the health of the game when players are incentivized to group and play together. There are already a lot of options for solo play, including normal dungeons.

I chuckle when I see this because there's another thread about speedrunning in dungeons - how some players would like to do the quest, but often when they queue for a PUG, the others in the group just run ahead. And the response to that is generally, "Well, what do you expect? It's a PUG. Blah, blah, blah." You can't have it both ways. You can't tell players, "Nope, you should group,", and then, "You tried grouping to do the quest and the other players ran ahead? Well, tough luck for you." (not exactly an incentive to group, I might add.)

There are lots of reasons why players would want the ability to run a dungeon (including the difficult ones and the ones that can't be soloed due to mechanics) with a party of companions. It's not always because they don't want to group, but timing issues (they play at low pop times), the need to take frequent breaks because of kids or other reasons, etc.

I've played a few MMOs and the community here is definitely the worst for "play my way or you don't get to play at all." Ask yourselves, how would it hurt you if ZOS implemented this feature? It's likely that those who would use it the most would never group with you, anyway.
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I've played a few MMOs and the community here is definitely the worst for "play my way or you don't get to play at all."
    I couldn't disagree more. The vast majority of guilds and discord communities in this game are social and highly flexible. Only a tiny minority of content in the game is challenging and requires optimized builds; and all of it is available in easier, more accessible forms.
    Ask yourselves, how would it hurt you if ZOS implemented this feature? It's likely that those who would use it the most would never group with you, anyway.

I've explained that already. But to say it in a different way, I think it's essential for an online game to have group content. By group, I mean a group of players, not a player with npc companions.

Group content is essential for players to have reasons to interact with each other. This is very important for an online game. The entire purpose for playing a game online is to connect with other people. It's important that they have reasons to work together to achieve common goals.

This extends beyond pure gameplay to also making the effort to meet like-minded people who want to experience content in the same way. This is what I did many years ago when I wanted the time to experience the stories in dungeons.

ESO has already been extensively modified to accommodate those who prefer to play it as a single player game. When this game launched, it was much more group-centric. It's important to retain the group content we have to preserve the social fabric of the game. Dungeons and other forms of group content are an important part of this as they are inlets to the greater community of players. It would ultimately hurt me and everyone who plays ESO as an MMO if these inlets ceased to exist.
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Though it would be fun watching them fight over who gets to aggro the boss and pull them out of the combat area and reset it.
  • HalfDragoness
    HalfDragoness
    ✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I'd only use them to complete dungeons when I really want to experience the story and solve the puzzles by myself. Otherwise I absolutely do not want three of them running around the open world with me.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)

Group content is essential for players to have reasons to interact with each other. This is very important for an online game. The entire purpose for playing a game online is to connect with other people. It's important that they have reasons to work together to achieve common goals.

Not for some of us. The reason I play an MMO like ESO is because the content is ongoing, so the game isn't static. Sure I still play Oblivion and Skyrim, but even with player-made mods, the games are not getting more Bethesda content. Beth doesn't even seem to be interested in TES VI much any more.... so *shrug* - ESO it is. And no, I (and others I know) have no interest at all in grouping/interacting with others in game. And btw, I don't have any use for companions....

Actually, I knew going into this game in 2017 that I was no longer (after WoW and RIFT) going to do group content or pvp....

Edited by TaSheen on July 8, 2024 10:36PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I've explained that already. But to say it in a different way, I think it's essential for an online game to have group content. By group, I mean a group of players, not a player with npc companions.
    This extends beyond pure gameplay to also making the effort to meet like-minded people who want to experience content in the same way.

All I get from your posts is "This is the way it has to be!", without ever giving any reasonable explanation.
    It's important to retain the group content we have to preserve the social fabric of the game. Dungeons and other forms of group content are an important part of this as they are inlets to the greater community of players. It would ultimately hurt me and everyone who plays ESO as an MMO if these inlets ceased to exist.

Giving people who never group anyway the possibility to solo content doesn't change anything for you.

@Syldras | PC | EU
  • LPapirius
    LPapirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Why not allow 11 companions at the same time? That way people can solo 12 man dungeons. How far do some of the players want to go down this road? (I know there aren't 11 companions available at this time, but there will be in the next couple years at the current rate they're being created)

Edited by LPapirius on July 8, 2024 10:33PM
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    TaSheen wrote: »

Not for some of us. The reason I play an MMO like ESO is because the content is ongoing, so the game isn't static. Sure I still play Oblivion and Skyrim, but even with player-made mods, the games are not getting more Bethesda content. Beth doesn't even seem to be interested in TES VI much any more.... so *shrug* - ESO it is. And no, I (and others I know) have no interest at all in grouping/interacting with others in game.

Actually, I knew going into this game in 2017 that I was no longer (after WoW and RIFT) going to do group content or pvp....
    There's no reason why a single player game played offline game couldn't have the same influx of new content. The only reason to play a game that requires a constant network connection with a central server is to network with other people.
    Syldras wrote: »
    Giving people who never group anyway the possibility to solo content doesn't change anything for you.
    Sure it does. By making it solo content, it is no longer group content, but instead solo content that can be optionally played grouped. As such, it is largely removed as a strong incentive for players to make the leap from playing ESO as a single player game to connecting with the greater community.

Most incentives to do so have already been removed to facilitate single player gaming in ESO. If all are removed, it will greatly affect the MMO side of the game. It also becomes a slippery slope because the same argument can be applied to trials.

So yes, it would indirectly affect me and everyone else who plays eso as an mmo in the long run.

Edited by Desiato on July 8, 2024 10:52PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    TaSheen wrote: »

Not for some of us. The reason I play an MMO like ESO is because the content is ongoing, so the game isn't static. Sure I still play Oblivion and Skyrim, but even with player-made mods, the games are not getting more Bethesda content. Beth doesn't even seem to be interested in TES VI much any more.... so *shrug* - ESO it is. And no, I (and others I know) have no interest at all in grouping/interacting with others in game.

There's no reason why a single player game played offline game couldn't have the same influx of new content. The only reason to play a game that requires a constant network connection with a central server is to network with other people.

The reason is that Bethesda doesn't expand the single player games - and the only franchise I play is TES. So I repeat - ESO is it.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    There's no reason why a single player game played offline game couldn't have the same influx of new content.

Of course. But is there any alternative for people who want to play a TES game currently?
    Sure it does. By making it solo content, it is no longer group content, but instead solo content that can be optionally played grouped. As such, it is largely removed as a strong incentive for players to making the leap from playing ESO as a single player game to connecting with the greater community.

People who enjoy playing with other will never use companions instead. People who don't enjoy playing with others might do it when it's needed, but they hate it, or they don't do it at all. I might be old-fashioned, but I don't need "incentives" to do something in a game - I just do what I enjoy (that's the reason I'm playing a game, after all), spare me the rest, and that's it.

Edited by Syldras on July 8, 2024 10:56PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Syldras wrote: »
    People who enjoy playing with other will never use companions instead. People who don't enjoy playing with others might do it when it's needed, but they hate it, or they don't do it at all. I might be old-fashioned, but I don't need "incentives" to do something in a game - I just do what I enjoy (that's the reason I'm playing a game, after all), spare me the rest, and that's it.

I disagree completely. I think that a lot of players are apprehensive about interacting with other players for a variety of reasons and need to be nudged out of their comfort zones to do so. Especially in this day and age when people are more isolated and asocial than ever. Dungeons serve as a kind of icebreaker.

This is especially true for ESO because of its single player game lineage as part of the TES series.

Countless players I've played ESO with in groups started playing ESO as a single player game. Some of them played solo for years before dipping their toes in group content and finding they actually really enjoyed playing with others. They only did so at first because they had mysterious dungeons and trials dangled in front of them.

In the old days, we also had group overland content in the form of VR zones. Back then sometimes a player could get stuck in a segment of a VR quest and needed to work strangers to get by, which presented the opportunity for friendship. Craglorn was originally explicitly designed for groups. I still have people in my friends list I met during that period.

The heart and soul of most MMO communities revolve around working with other players to overcome challenges they couldn't do alone.

We have lost so much of this as ESO has been adapted more and more to accommodate single player gamers.

I believe changing dungeons to solo content would represent a paradigm shift that may not be felt immediately, but would be felt over time as playing them solo became the default option for new players who would never feel the nudge to engage with others and thus never would. I believe it would significantly change the social fabric of the game which is already extremely stretched by years of accommodations to make eso more solo friendly.

Edited by Desiato on July 8, 2024 11:35PM
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I couldn't disagree more. The vast majority of guilds and discord communities in this game are social and highly flexible. Only a tiny minority of content in the game is challenging and requires optimized builds; and all of it is available in easier, more accessible forms.

I agree that there are some great guilds, but I'm talking about the community in general. I disagree that only a tiny minority of content is challenging for the average SOLO player. With a group, yes, there's very little content that's challenging. But we're talking about allowing players to fill a group with companions. One of the reasons for that is so they can do content that they can't do solo.
    Group content is essential for players to have reasons to interact with each other.

No, it isn't. I interact with people all the time without grouping with them.
    The entire purpose for playing a game online is to connect with other people. It's important that they have reasons to work together to achieve common goals.

That's news to me. I don't play MMOs to connect with other people, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And as for working together to achieve common goals, er, check the speed running thread again. When a PUG goes into a dungeon, they're not all joining hands and singing kumbaya. Yes, there are a minority of players who consider what others in the PUG might want to accomplish, but most go in with their own goal in mind and couldn't care less about everyone else. Hence the, "I don't care if you have the quest. I've run this dungeon a hundred times and just want my drop/lead/transmute, so I'll be running ahead, thanks," attitude.
    ESO has already been extensively modified to accommodate those who prefer to play it as a single player game. When this game launched, it was much more group-centric.

Yes, and from my understanding (I wasn't playing ESO at the time), the game was tanking, until ZOS made major changes.
    It's important to retain the group content we have to preserve the social fabric of the game. Dungeons and other forms of group content are an important part of this as they are inlets to the greater community of players. It would ultimately hurt me and everyone who plays ESO as an MMO if these inlets ceased to exist.

Nobody is suggesting that we drop group content. It's about giving players who aren't like you other options. There are a significant number of people who play MMOs but have no interest (or can't) group, but they'd like to experience content like dungeons. Giving players other options won't hurt you in any way because they wouldn't group with you anyway. You'd still have your group content to do with other people, and you'd still be able to work on your common goals with those people. It wouldn't take anything away from you and the way you like to play the game.
  • TDVM
    TDVM
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    why? You can do without it.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, we can already have a menagerie and that's too much imo. We don't need entourages.
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    That's news to me. I don't play MMOs to connect with other people
    Why do you play Massively Multiplayer Online games then?

It's a rhetorical question. This has been a common divide in ESO since the start because of its TES lineage.

But it is an MMO -- or Online RPG as ZOS would prefer to call it -- and I think it's important to retain aspects of that. Anyway, I've stated my points and I'll let them stand.

• CatoUnchained
    CatoUnchained
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    That's news to me. I don't play MMOs to connect with other people

It's a rhetorical question. This has been a common divide in ESO since the start because of its TES lineage.

But it is an MMO -- or Online RPG as ZOS would prefer to call it -- and I think it's important to retain aspects of that. Anyway, I've stated my points and I'll let them stand.

Yep. MMO's are supposed to encourage player grouping and interactions. The companion system does the opposite of this. ZOS seems to be trying to squeeze in aspects of many other games into ESO with the end result being ESO is losing the unique identity that made it great in the first place. ESO doesn't need housing, companions or that awful card game. ESO needs to focus on stability, balance and combat mechanics.

Remember, the jack of all trades is the master of none, as the proverb goes.
    Edited by CatoUnchained on July 8, 2024 11:50PM
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

Because there are other people in the world. I don't need to connect with them, but seeing other people running around makes the world more alive. Having said that, the game has to be fun too. That's primary.

I do group with guildies on occasion, but grouping/connecting isn't why I play this game. I would love the ability to fill a group with companions so I can do dungeons at my own pace and when it's convenient for me. And I fully support those who don't want to group at all or can't group, and who would like to do the same.
    But it is an MMO -- or Online RPG as ZOS would prefer to call it -- and I think it's important to retain aspects of that

Of course. And letting people fill a group with companions won't take anything away from that. All the dungeons will still be there for those who prefer to group with other players. Keep in mind that multiplayer doesn't mean grouped. It means there are multiple players in the world at the same time. That's all it means.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 companions wouldn't do much for you tbh. Their only purpose when soloing is to get mitigation buff from pearlescent, with 3 of them you get 48% which is absurd
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    LPapirius wrote: »
    Why not allow 11 companions at the same time? That way people can solo 12 man dungeons. How far do some of the players want to go down this road? (I know there aren't 11 companions available at this time, but there will be in the next couple years at the current rate they're being created)

People can't solo trials because of mechanics that companions can't play. You surely could solo bosses on your own, but nearly all of them require team work
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Too many pets, companions and flapping things in this game already.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but only for things like group dungeons that have the 4 player limit. 3 companions each in the overworld might get too crowded.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    3 companions fighting for who pulls the boss out of AOES while yammering all at the same time sounds like a new level of hell.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Multiple companions being summonable would allow everyone the abilitiy to complete dungeons, trials, and anything else that counts as pve in this game.

And i am all for it.
    Edited by Bobargus on July 9, 2024 3:24AM
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    this is a poll that Riley and Jonesy would post.
    (requirements not met)
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I already hardly use one!

I turn on Bastian once in a blue moon, if I do something that needs a bit more "difficult" fighting, or if I want to run through a delve as he fixes foes. That's it. My way to play doesn't require more than this sporadic use.

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Sure for instanced content like dungeons, arena's etc.. but not for overland having 3 companions following you around would be overkill.