Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once?

FelisCatus
FelisCatus
✭✭✭✭✭
I find when I only have time to play late at night there are much less people online and I struggle to find groups for group dailies such as bastion nymics or dungeons. I think in certain cases it would be nice to use 3 of my companions to fulfil various roles. Yes, they will never be able to replace a player in terms of skill or output. However it can fill the void of the lack of players at non-peak times. Yes, you can solo a lot in this game but certain content is designed for a group and if you can't find a group this would be an ideal use of an already existing system.

Would you like the ability to have 3 companions at once? 338 votes

Yes
48%
BlueRavenGilvothvailjohn_ESOcoryj87b14a_ESOadyreonb14_ESOcalitrumanb14_ESOJordan.nick11b14_ESOopajArizona_Stevetspecherb14_ESOCredible_JoeWNAPosadzkib16_ESOnwilliams2107b16_ESONerouynkadok00ElvenheartLonestryderSheridanactoshCendrillion21 164 votes
No
41%
MaddjujuGalenAD_Tuggodaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOdiskyThrudra_Magia kypranb14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESOFaulgorninibiniAlienSlofqwaurckTjockenc4bloyb16_ESORexyCatbrutaDenverRalphySheezabeastSeaUnicornVrelanier 139 votes
Other (Explain)
10%
SteveCampsOutfreespiritHamfastAvalonRangerEnemy-of-ColdharbourBo0137Dojohodalardvaderold_scopie1945SydneyGreyDrathlymocapLukosCreydenSyldrasjohasbAlinhbo_TyakaspartaxoxoHappyTheCamperLalothenBradyfjord 35 votes
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I think it could be useful when doing group content alone, but imagine the chaos when everyone has their 3 companions out all the time, also during busy hours. You know that some people would. So there either had to be a limitation to group dungeons/instances, or an option to disable seeing other people's companions.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes that would be awesome.
    if it's possible to even do of course.

it would make certain world bosses less of a struggle,
    it would be fun to go through a dungeon with 3 companions,
    and it just seems fun to have a little group of characters around.

i would be fine if having each extra companion summoned decreased their individual power a little in case there's any concern of having too much power otherwise.
    but still companions often (die) due to simply standing in an area attack.

edited to add the word "die" as i typed too fast
    Edited by LunaFlora on July 8, 2024 1:42PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    Yes that would be awesome.
    if it's possible to even do of course.

it would make certain world bosses less of a struggle,
    it would be fun to go through a dungeon with 3 companions,
    and it just seems fun to have a little group of characters around.

i would be fine if having each extra companion summoned decreased their individual power a little in case there's any concern of having too much power otherwise.
    but still companions often due to simply standing in an area attack

Now that I think about it, this would make doing a dungeon's story quest a lot of easier.
    Syldras wrote: »
    I think it could be useful when doing group content alone, but imagine the chaos when everyone has their 3 companions out all the time, also during busy hours. You know that some people would. So there either had to be a limitation to group dungeons/instances, or an option to disable seeing other people's companions.

The only issue with hiding other people's companions is it would look really strange seeing enemy npcs take damage from an invisible source. May lead to a lot of confusion and people thinking their game is lagging or bugged.
    Edited by FelisCatus on July 8, 2024 1:30PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I may actually do dungeons again if I could just do them with companions only.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Sure. Khajiit would love such a thing.

However, even more than this he would wish for a more rigorous command interface than "attack my target" and "disengage". Perhaps have another command bar (5 slots) that could be mapped with various companion commands, like attack from range, attack khajiit's target, attack closest target, defend yourself, stay alive, kamikaze, heal this one, etc.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'd love this. But the companion AI would have to be improved. Three companions is not equivalent to 3 players. Not even close.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

For sure they should only allow it in instanced content.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Sounds like it’d be chaotic but also I do not care. I have 1 companion out for the chance of companion drops and to hopefully level their friendship, so I don’t think I’d use 3.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes indeed I would, I've already maxxed out all companions and their gear to their best roles according to these sites:
    https://arzyelbuilds.com/eso-best-companion-guide/
    https://hacktheminotaur.com/eso-companion-builds/

Bastian & Azander: tank
    Isobel & Sharp: healer
    Mirri & Ember: bow dps

and assigned them all to my characters, favoring the ones who's roles fit best. So if I could summon 3 at once, I definitely would.
    Edited by Calastir on July 8, 2024 1:57PM
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I'd love this. But the companion AI would have to be improved. Three companions is not equivalent to 3 players. Not even close.

They are certainly in need of a buff, too clumsy and prone to die easily as they stand in AOEs too often or don't block at the right times.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Potentially yes but maybe only summonable when already in a dungeon or maybe being able to use them to queue but they aren't summoned until the queue pops.

Also as I tend to only use Bastian as a tank, therefore equipped with melee weapons, do companions equipped with ranged weapons still routinely roll dodge backwards until they reset bosses???

Imagine two or three of them doing that, funny to start with but very quickly, very annoying! 😲
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    I find when I only have time to play late at night there are much less people online and I struggle to find groups for group dailies such as bastion nymics or dungeons. I think in certain cases it would be nice to use 3 of my companions to fulfil various roles. Yes, they will never be able to replace a player in terms of skill or output. However it can fill the void of the lack of players at non-peak times. Yes, you can solo a lot in this game but certain content is designed for a group and if you can't find a group this would be an ideal use of an already existing system.

My feeling is that this would be soloing... at least, in the fights that matter.

In the limited number of times I brought one along in Infinite Archive, it was soloing, but it counted as a duo.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Please no. I would basically quit overland forever if I had to deal with an army of followers everywhere I go. We don't need follower NPCs outnumbering players, which would be the case.

Even if it was restricted to instances, I think it would ultimately be bad for the community. It is better for the health of the game when players are incentivized to group and play together. There are already a lot of options for solo play, including normal dungeons.

I know a lot of players who started playing ESO as a solo game and only engaged with the community because they had to for dungeons and trading -- which ultimately benefited them because they enjoyed it.
    Edited by Desiato on July 8, 2024 3:39PM
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Elsonso wrote: »
    FelisCatus wrote: »

My feeling is that this would be soloing... at least, in the fights that matter.

In the limited number of times I brought one along in Infinite Archive, it was soloing, but it counted as a duo.

Solo+ might be a better way to describe it. Sometimes it's nice to have Isobel heal you or Bastian taunt for you, or maybe you need just a smidge more AoE damage from Ember. I don't mind if it counts as a duo, trio or quad. I just want to achieve what I want to and sometimes that becomes impossible when there are not enough players online at the times I'm on or not enough players interested in the content I want to run. Especially if it's old or particularly grindy.
    Edited by FelisCatus on July 8, 2024 3:36PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Desiato wrote: »
    Even if it was restricted to instances, I think it would ultimately be bad for the community. It is better for the health of the game when players are incentivized to group and play together. There are already a lot of options for solo play, including normal dungeons.
    I know a lot of players who started playing ESO as a solo game and only engaged with the community because they had to for dungeons and trading -- which ultimately benefited them because they enjoyed it.

Human players will always be more capable than companions with their limited AI behaviour. The people who choose to solo with companions are those absolutely not wanting to play with others. Or who play at times where not many people are around. Those who consider playing with other human players an option would probably not swap to play with companions instead, so nothing would change.

Edited by Syldras on July 8, 2024 3:44PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    The clone problem is already bad enough.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    It would be fun to have a full team when soloing group dungeons. But, it would be unwelcome in the open world.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Human players will always be more capable than companions with their limited AI behaviour. The people who choose to solo with companions are those absolutely not wanting to play with others. Or who play at times where not many people are around. Those who consider playing with other human players an option would probably not swap to play with companions instead, so nothing would change.

I respect that others prefer to play ESO in their own bubble, but I think we've compromised enough in that regard. There is only a tiny percentage of content unavailable to pure solo players who absolutely don't want to play others.

It wouldn't only affect those who absolutely don't want to play with others. It would also greatly impact those who would really enjoy playing with others, but wouldn't realize that without a nudge. I think a large percentage of the current social community fell into this category when they started playing.

Edited by Desiato on July 8, 2024 3:54PM
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd rather see a daily time limitation put on any given companion. Say, limit any given companion usage to one hour/day.

ZOS keeps telling us that they need to reduce server load, and reducing companion usage would probably help in that respect FAR, FAR more than the annoying 14 day item listing limitation in guild stores.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    This is a monkey's paw asking to be implemented.

The balancing for having more than one companion out would be interesting to see as some players already can solo/duo many dungeons with a single companion already. Then we have the issue of "standing in stupid" as many players say. This is not simply going to be 3 of your current companions out at their current strength, balancing and adjustments will be made and I highly doubt anyone is going to be happy with the actual implementation.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The system doesn’t seem made so that they could work together well and haven’t been designed to have banter with one another (as in Dragon Age). If built to complement your character’s build, a single companion is very helpful for completing many normal dungeons, world boses, the Infinite Archive, etc.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    Desiato wrote: »
    It would also greatly impact those who would really enjoy playing with others, but wouldn't realize that without a nudge. I think the a large percentage of the current social community fell into this category when they started playing.

It would be interesting to find out what percentage of the playerbase that applies to (unfortunately, I don't think we'd get a meaningful result with a forum poll, since only a small part of the overall playerbase visits the forums, and people who prefer to play completely alone might also be less interested in interacting with other players here). Because I'd think that most people aren't a blank canvas when they arrive here, but adult people who have made experiences before and know what they want and what they don't want. I know cases where solo players group once a year or so because they need it for an achievement (a housing item, for example), but they absolutely don't enjoy it and are happy when it's over.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    reazea wrote: »
    I'd rather see a daily time limitation put on any given companion. Say, limit any given companion usage to one hour/day.

Especially makes sense when soloing Archive with them ;)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    reazea wrote: »

ZOS keeps telling us that they need to reduce server load, and reducing companion usage would probably help in that respect FAR, FAR more than the annoying 14 day item listing limitation in guild stores.

Lol, what? I don’t think the one thing equates with the other… 🤔
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Having three companions out would be chaotic in overland, but dungeons and trials?

There would honestly be no problem with that because of the group limitations.

That being said, Companions have a lot lacking in terms of efficiency, I would like to see them improved first. Kind of disappointing how often they run face first into lava or hostile AoEs and die in seconds when using melee weapons.
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but I see this as a wish that won't ever become reality, because it would need to be done really well to avoid all the issues it could cause.

I won't make a list but for example it would help being able to change their hair style or equip them with markings and such... To alleviate the "clone problem".
    They should also be capable of things like push levers, stand on plates, and get healed in friendly AoEs instead of running away while instead "standing in stupid".

I'd find it cool being able to run Dungeons with a party of NPCs and I'd appreciate the addition, but I don't see it coming... Unless population become very low in the future and they maybe consider it, Idk.
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    whitecrow wrote: »
    The clone problem is already bad enough.

ZOS can fix this by allowing companions to wear helmets. Still not sure why this isn't an option. It's such a simple solution.
  • sunsrest
    sunsrest
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    In dungeons yes, in overland I'm not sure.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (Explain)
    I don't (and won't) use companions, but agree with @Syldras's point above; I think it might be okay if there was some method of making +3 of them only useable in group content, and dropping back to one once out of the instance.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

I would imagine that it would also tank ZoS server as for more calculation and bandwidth (both internal and between client and server) as companion would use AoE which then need to be limited in over world gameplay as that adds a lot of extra calculation.

In GW2 for some years ago there where changes for both range and number of targets on AoE and a lot of skill had to be adjusted down from how many targets they could have and reduced in range. The main reason that change was that with AoEs it caused a lot calculation and that taxed performance in game.

Even when Companion will become invisible for other player that would mean a lot action would happen that you wouldn't see in that case and I don't think it is a good solution when performance can get reduced and you have no idea if there was too many players around or too many players with companions.

As for dungeons it is better to have people work together then introducing even more reason why some players can play a MMO all solo without any interaction with other players. Another issue here is how would reward system work if player can have a team of companion do the same work as 3 other players and get same reward as other that have to put time and effort to form a group and finish that dungeon? Should those player with all companion in dungeon have the same reward or will they complain until they also get the same reward as other with real player?

I don't think this suggestion to have 3 companion at once would be good for the future of this game if there was allowed with more companion that we have today.