Maintenance for the week of August 19:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 21, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 21, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• odaphii
    odaphii
    ✭✭
    Hi, one of the "20" people reporting for duty; I hate the glow. I use Prior Thierric weapons on one of my NBs and that shine is just overwhelming. I hate being a walking, talking red light bulb.
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we should petition for a red glow for every class in the game.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted a while back saying it was tolerable. I posted a little after saying I stopped using the skill.

A year later, I'm still not using the skill anymore because of the permanent glow effect. I'll start using it again when the glow only appears when the skill is ready to proc.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    After a few days on NB in Cyro for the first time in a while: I'd rather not have the glow. It's distracting.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    StihlReign wrote: »

Nah just add a yellow one for templars, blue for sorcs, white for wardens, purple for necro, green for arcs, and orange for dks.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I posted a while back saying it was tolerable. I posted a little after saying I stopped using the skill.

A year later, I'm still not using the skill anymore because of the permanent glow effect. I'll start using it again when the glow only appears when the skill is ready to proc.

Yeah I got tired of looking at it all the time out of combat, so I unslotted Grim Focus, and haven't used it since.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

Nah just add a yellow one for templars, blue for sorcs, white for wardens, purple for necro, green for arcs, and orange for dks.

there already is an orange effect for DKs. but that one only shows up if you use the ability.
  • Thysbe
    Thysbe
    ✭✭✭
    laniakea_0 wrote: »
    there already is an orange effect for DKs. but that one only shows up if you use the ability.

nah - thats not good enough - it hast to be bright, reflecting on all kind of surfaces and super annoying ALL the time :wink:
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always wanted to have weapons which can glow even when unsheathed!

0B6S6PQ.png

I really like the Nightblade class bloody red theme, so even if my characters wear clothes of some other color scheme, red glow is always welcome.

7oaz9CW.jpg

The only problem I personally have: the animation for activating this buff is gone forever, with no other option to experience it?.. It was cool animation, with Nightblade class symbol appearing under the feet of my character :'( There needs to be some way to experience this animation, either from memento/emote, or incorporated in Scribing system.

I wish for more weapons which always glow in different colors like this <3

Other players can't see this glow, which is both disappointing and understandable :D

It's easy to get used to something cool, so I would be sad if this glow would be taken away now. I rarely need to remove the skill from my bar - only when previewing certain outfit styles/skins (funny, that some of skins don't look so cool without red glow), and when doing mount/polymorph showcases. If I forget to put the skill back, I have the feeling that something is missing.

However, if there can be option to hide it (in Collections or in skill styles) so that people who don't want permanent glow can be satisfied too - this would be good.
    I mostly tell this because I'm in same sad situation regarding other game aspect, which is ignored by most of players and nobody even creates any thread on forums about it. There is audio bug with two combat abilities - Break Free and Biting Jabs. It was fixed, then after next major patch it was broken again... And now it's 2 years since it's bugged and ignored :'(Our characters lost powerful vocalizations of these two abilities. It makes the usually aggressive combat very dull, and hard to track when breaking free from crowd control. Plus, it basically removes many of those very cool voices from the game - unless you use Dawnbreaker ultimate or /rollingpin emote (I didn't even know about that emote, only bought it when it was on sale last time).

All character races + voice actor combos I specially selected by listening to these powerful screams, and polymorphs with cool voices - all their value and my enjoyment from overall gameplay were heavily reduced...
    I reported that few times in-game when it became bugged for the second time - no reaction. I need time to make detailed bug post on Forums now, showcasing videos of old exciting combat gameplay versus modern awkward action, in hope that maybe this bug will finally be fixed and make me happy. So I would not like if other players started to tell how they enjoy silent combat without those powerful voices!

That's why I'm ok with options, so that every player can select what they want to see and hear.

• Heren
    Heren
    ✭✭
    It would certainly be nice to have a system that let you select wich visual effet/glow you want on your weapons, be it weapon glyphs visual effect, poisons visual effect, or glowing auras like Grim Focus or other effect ( like the one wich come with empower from solar barrage on templar ), and of course the possibility to disable any visual effect on weapons. That would be in my opinion a welcome update, one that certainly follows and expand the trend iniated by the skill styles.

As for the question of the Grim Focus Permaglow, I personnaly don't like it and would prefer to see it gone ( or only present at 5 stacks ); but an option is certainly better.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

**** no to on forcing permanent cosmetics on any class or ability! :angry:
  • Reasonchill
    Reasonchill
    ✭✭

**** no to on forcing permanent cosmetics on any class or ability! :angry:

Wait, I think they were joking xD to highlight the absurdity of the visual effect

Kinda like: let us all glow while we glow glowingly! Because simplicity is objectively better, who wants to play a character with a unique, complex, cool look? Let us go for a full visual downgrade!
    We don't like this ESO game anyway! Just like Nirn is sometimes described - relating to some Aldmer traditions - as a testing ground, a crucial step to ascending to what comes next, so is the crisp and complicated aesthetic of ESO is just a prison of the mind and needs to go to make room for the GLOW AND THE SHINE. It will completely obscure the look of the world, the look of your character; it will nullify the effort you have put into shaping your character, and it will also nullify the effort of the people who create the world design and the stories in this game. Isn't that great?!
    Did you really think we like this game for what it is? Pfft. ABSOLUTELY NOT!
    And in the same line of thought, we should apply the "rock-paper-scissors" model to PvP. No need for actual combat, none of that. Instead characters (already colour-coded) clash into each other, and the result - victory or loss - is taken from a pre-defined table. Just like rock beats scissors, Warden beats Nightblade, Nightblade beats Dragonknight, et cetera.
    This will finally allow us to stop suffering and pretending that we like this game, now that it can finally get overridden by the shiny shine. Because NEW and SHINY equals GOOD!

something like that xD
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reasonchill I know the post was meant as a joke, but unfortunately lot of obnoxious visuals have been added to the game, most optional at least to the user, but I wish that ZOS detach aesthetic choices from gameplay/ability choices, except for temporary effects that inform the player or opponent that an ability has been activated, etc.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more I play NB, the less I like the perma red glow. This thread needs to stay on top until they fix this. I've always enjoyed the weapon enchantment visuals, these are now gone, all I see is RED, and it doesn't even match my other reds. A newer player even asked me in Cyro what the red glow was, I had to tell him "it's nothing, just cosmetic, can't turn it off."
  • Celticmagick
    Celticmagick
    ✭✭✭
    Options are good but considering that there's already so many cosmetic options available to add colors to weapons, the glow effect of Grim Focus should really only happen when the spectral arrow is ready - a visual queue to Fire!

Still not a fan of the permaglow, ZOS, please remove it.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »
    Grim Focus now makes your weapons permanently glow just for having the ability slotted:

poazwz0oinib.png

Not like this was pointed out on PTS or anything already.

If your plan was to make me stop using the ability you've done a stellar job, ZOS.

38 pages, I clearly have not read this all just responding to OP.

ZOS could do an easy "fix" with their new system. Remove (or significantly reduce) the effect at the base level, introduce a skill style in red that the player can add if they choose. They can then release other colors down the road.
    Edited by richo262 on July 14, 2024 1:44AM
  • onyxorb
    onyxorb
    ✭✭✭
    richo262 wrote: »
    Grim Focus now makes your weapons permanently glow just for having the ability slotted:

poazwz0oinib.png

If your plan was to make me stop using the ability you've done a stellar job, ZOS.

ZOS could do an easy "fix" with their new system. Remove (or significantly reduce) the effect at the base level, introduce a skill style in red that the player can add if they choose. They can then release other colors down the road.

YEPPPPP, Skill Style is the easy solution.

Grim Focus: Skill Style: INVISIBLE

Seems like an easy win for everyone.

Then we can move on to why we have class style pages... Cause... what if my Necro, not the NB, wants the cool glowing red effects?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    onyxorb wrote: »

poazwz0oinib.png

Then we can move on to why we have class style pages... Cause... what if my Necro, not the NB, wants the cool glowing red effects?

This is why permanent effects should never be part of class abilities and I’m not at all a fan of class-locked sets and styles. Fashion should be a separate from classes and stats. People should be able to use the best abilities and armor for their given role without glowing or having orbs float around them — and likewise should be able to have such effects if they want them, whatever their class, abilities, and armor sets.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

poazwz0oinib.png

Having players pay for removing a glow that already makes it impossible for them to utilize weapon packs they already paid for is scummy and the least reasonable solution.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't mind me, just keeping the Pro's and Con's close to the top for everyone to see, especially now that Skill Styles are a thing and new folks visiting this thread don't know what people already actually paid for here:

Posting an update on the conversation. The current pro and contra arguments in regards of the new state of Grim Focus:

Pro:

Some players welcome the enforced glow, as they now don't have to purchase a weapon pack with red particle or glow effects in order to customize their character "reddish/nightblade-ish." Therefore saving money on ~17€ weapon packs for personal customization preferences as the now permanent spell effect serves as a quasi-armspack.

Contra:

Conflicts with any UI that utilizes global lighting - Will continue to conflict with any UI of this particular style in the future:

lrh6tut56vb1.png

Is permanently visible upon slotting (just skilling on console), rendering already purchased weapon packs obsolete followed by customer support refusing to allow refunds for players who bought said weapon pack for their nightblade specifically.
    For comparison, the sorcerer's spell Bound Armor got its own permanent effect removed within the same patch. Causing confusion in regards of the developers intend behind the willfull change or bug.

k17lr14v3hdg.png

Mentioning in the patch notes that the ability will be highlighted on the bar once the max amount of stacks is reached, while not mentioning in any section that the glow is now permanent once the skill is slotted. Which of both serves as the better indicator is up for debate.

eiau4u7xehmo.png

Additionally, the spell remains visible only to the nightblade player, therefore lacking further indication of the slotted spell in regards of PvP. Console players also reported, that the spell doesn't have to be slotted in order for the glow to appear. A spent skill point in said spell suffices. Forgot to add those in the first summary.

Those are, according to the mods, all intended changes.
    I'd call it a bunch of issues being the product of a rushed change resulting in a falty update and active refusal to take care of it, as they can't lose money that has already been spend.

• joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this could be considered enough feedback?
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay 1000 clowns for that. ZOS take my money.
  • onyxorb
    onyxorb
    ✭✭✭

I feel all skill styles should be obtainable in game 'without' any crowns, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel all skill styles should be obtainable in game 'without' any crowns, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

I wouldn’t mind paying for something nice that did more than create a color, like changing the warden bear ultimate to a wolf, senche, spider, or other animal I actually like. But to pay to fix a visually broken skill like Grim Focus would just be scummy. No, I’m not going to pay more money to see the weapon style I already paid money for, thank you. :expressionless: Fix grim focus already and then sell permanent glow effects as skill or outfit styles (although in that case I would think players should get one free, because some players may have created a nightblade to go with the red glow and I don’t think they should have to pay money to restore the effect if they like it).
    Edited by Araneae6537 on July 20, 2024 2:46PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this red glow still on the nightblade? The glow serves no purpose. When I load up a nightblade, you can be confidently sure that I absolutely know that this skill is on my bar. I don't need this ever-present red glow to remind me. By determining that it is "working as intended", what exactly does that mean? The glow is there from log-in, how is that right; how is that functional? It's not.

Please turn off the glow.
    0g67mQY.png
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That damned glow :s it's ruining my crown bought styles.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades can no longer get any work, but thankfully they have a portable red light district that goes wherever they go.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A friend told me the red clashes with my look (he's right) and it also clashes with my guars. WTB skill styles. Or at least a new guar mount that uses the same Garish Nightblade Red dyestamp, so at least that can match.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with changing it after the fact is a lot of players like the perma glow, myself included. We don't want it altered. Either way they're going to have people upset so leaving it as it originally was is their best option.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with changing it after the fact is a lot of players like the perma glow, myself included. We don't want it altered. Either way they're going to have people upset so leaving it as it originally was is their best option.

Those who'd like their weapons to glow permanently red have the choice to either farm set items that allow for such effect, earn skill styles that do it or buy weapon packs.

Reverse it and everybody gets the fair chance to chose.