Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Grim Focus Permaglow

• joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin has already answered a while ago on this thread saying that it's working as intended.

But a lot of us are not buying it, because in the current state of the skill, the glow serves no purpose. This is not in line with the visual effects of all the other skills that the game has, in ESO, skills show their visual effect while active.

Another very valid point that a lot of people have made in this thread is that it's ruining a lot of cosmetics and it doesn't work well with a ton of Crown Store weapon styles. I'm not talking about aesthetics or subjective taste, but about how the glow doesn't hide with invisible weapons, etc.

That's the reason why this thread continues being active after this long, the devs haven't acknowledged the real state of the skill and it's issues. For a lot of players, Kevin saying it's working as intended is just shoving the problem off and hoping it goes away on it's own. The devs haven't even communicated that they're aware of it's issues.
    Edited by joseayalac on August 29, 2024 5:52PM
  • Morvan
    Morvan
    ✭✭✭✭
    joseayalac wrote: »
    That's the reason why this thread continues being active after this long, the devs haven't acknowledged the real state of the skill and it's issues. For a lot of players, Kevin saying it's working as intended is just shoving the problem off and hoping it goes away on it's own. The devs haven't even communicated that they're aware of it's issues.

It always makes me wonder what kind of barrier exists with these types of issues, it's not even like the templar jabs where they decided to change how the skill looks and it's functionality, it's an actual visual issue accidentally caused by how they changed the skill function.

It's intrusive, and not consistent or cohesive with every other skill effect in the game, imagine if each class had permanent glowing weapons for just slotting a skill, everyone would be wandering around with lightsabers.

Once again, ZOS, effects always represent skill duration or active casting, it's meant to be intuitive, no skill has a reason to have a permanent effect for just being slotted, and Grim Focus shouldn't be an exception for that.

Please, stop ignoring our feedback, people complaining on the forums are just a fraction of the players who are bothered by it.
    @MorvanClaude on PC/NA, don't try to trap me with lore subjects, it will work
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Want to clear this up as some wires may be crossed here regarding communication. The previous comment posted by me was based off of a conversation with the dev team, not me acting independently to "just shoving the problem off and hoping it goes away on it's own". So the team is aware. That being said, happy to raise this again with the team and see if anything has changed.

Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much @ZOS_Kevin for chiming in again and further clarifying! I am one of those that really hope the team will hear the players for whom this is an issue and come up with a solution that can make both sides happy. I’ve been thinking they may be waiting to address this using the new skill styling system when it makes it to class skills, but however they address it, it would be wonderful if something was done.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Thank you so much @ZOS_Kevin for chiming in again and further clarifying! I am one of those that really hope the team will hear the players for whom this is an issue and come up with a solution that can make both sides happy. I’ve been thinking they may be waiting to address this using the new skill styling system when it makes it to class skills, but however they address it, it would be wonderful if something was done.

Oh I hope they don't tie it to class styling and make us pay for the solution.
    That'd be the most messed up thing I could think of and that would definetly put the nail into the coffin for me.

No one, in their right mind, should be asking "Hey, can we pay you to remove the permanent glow, pretty please?"
    Paying for the solution to a bug should never ever be considered a solution, no matter how little respect you have for your own money. Where's the self-respect in that? Put your foot down, people, seriously.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, happy anniversary to the Grim Focus permanent glow bug. It's been exactly 12 months since we have been bestowed with this visual atrocity. And yes, I stopped posting the summary of reported pro's and con's because I cannot anymore.

I'm done.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin is this an issue where the glow cannot be changed or just one where the team thinks this is the way it should work? If it is the latter then clearly a lot of players do not agree.

Functionally, this was an awesome improvement to a complicated and clunky skill but visually it is useless to us now. As some have posted, the glow also interferes with doing several activities within the game like antiquities scrying.

It would be great to have it glow like it did before but work as it does now.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

Oh I hope they don't tie it to class styling and make us pay for the solution.
    That'd be the most messed up thing I could think of and that would definetly put the nail into the coffin for me.

No one, in their right mind, should be asking "Hey, can we pay you to remove the permanent glow, pretty please?"
    Paying for the solution to a bug should never ever be considered a solution, no matter how little respect you have for your own money. Where's the self-respect in that? Put your foot down, people, seriously.

I didn’t say I wanted them to charge us anything in that post. In my opinion, if they fix it this way, the style should be attainable in the game like the other skill styles have been so far.

And just to be clear, a fix would not be changing the color from red to a lurid green or phantasmic purple. At the very least effect would be a very hard to see gray or black, or even better, a way to make it invisible. I wouldn’t mind other colors for people who want them, but I want a way to either barely see it or not see it at all.

But, if the only choice is either leaving it the way it is or paying to have it turned off I would gladly pay and not feel any regrets. I just hope ZOS is better than that concerning something that is important to a lot of people.
    Edited by Elvenheart on August 30, 2024 1:36AM
  • AtriaKhorist
    AtriaKhorist
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

Want to clear this up as some wires may be crossed here regarding communication. The previous comment posted by me was based off of a conversation with the dev team, not me acting independently to "just shoving the problem off and hoping it goes away on it's own". So the team is aware. That being said, happy to raise this again with the team and see if anything has changed.

Is a year of silence followed by this response the improved communication we were promised?
  • jongoma
    jongoma
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

OMG please keep this glowing effect all players love it
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jongoma wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

OMG please keep this glowing effect all players love it

Is this sarcasm? Because clearly not all people love it.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to see that player feedback is being considered.

Personally I like the glow but not as an "always-on" effect. It does however play havoc with the color scheme for my characters, it would be a pity to outfit them all in red to match this glow.

Having it glow when the "Assassin’s Will" is ready to fire would be ideal but failing that an optional toggle for the permaglow would be very welcome. Or perhaps a scribing addition to change the color of the glow?
    Edited by LalMirchi on August 30, 2024 9:31PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They put a timer on crux because some people didn't like seeing it all the time, so why can't they bring back the timer on Grim Focus?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grim focus no way of triggering it off the front bar if it's stored on back
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grim focus no way of triggering it off the front bar if it's stored on back

🤯
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »

Personally I like the glow but not as an "always-on" effect. It does however play havoc with the color scheme for my characters, it would be a pity to outfit them all in red to match this glow.

Having it glow when the "Assassin’s Will" is ready to fire would be ideal but failing that an optional toggle for the permaglow would be very welcome. Or perhaps a scribing addition to change the color of the glow?

It doesnt matter, why would they change the color theme just for you? Nightblade is and will always be red themed, with some blood red theme.

I don't know why we keep posting in this thread about the red permaglow. Theres 101 problems and my character glowing red isnt 1. ( I main 3 different nighblades).
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FoJul wrote: »
    LalMirchi wrote: »

It doesnt matter, why would they change the color theme just for you? Nightblade is and will always be red themed, with some blood red theme.

I don't know why we keep posting in this thread about the red permaglow. Theres 101 problems and my character glowing red isnt 1. ( I main 3 different nighblades).

It is a problem for many other players that posted in this thread (myself included). It changes the established aesthetics (never glowed permanently) - something that ZOS said that they will not going to do since receiving negative feedback to some changes way back. It's not useful combat wise for a player - no way to tell that we have full stack.

It does not matter what the main color theme for a nightblade is. People created nightblades that do not use anything red except some red effects in combat that are baked in.

So, yes, we will continue posting in this thread.

• MotherOfMoss
    MotherOfMoss
    ✭✭✭

The red theme isn't the issue, the intrusive ever-presence is. No other class has a permanent visual effect forced on a character just from slotting a skill. If it glowed rosy pink or sky blue all the time, I'd be just as upset.

As for why we keep posting... probably because we keep hoping someone on the other end is reading :)
    PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭

The red theme isn't the issue, the intrusive ever-presence is. No other class has a permanent visual effect forced on a character just from slotting a skill. If it glowed rosy pink or sky blue all the time, I'd be just as upset.

As for why we keep posting... probably because we keep hoping someone on the other end is reading :)

they are reading and they already said they arent changing it. Atleast as of right now.

If we playing nb to not showcase red glowy skills, then why did you make a nightblade?

I like the red permaglow, the fact that its the only class that has a permanent glowing effect, is what creates uniqueness. Just get over it or play a different class.

They gave nightblade some cool glamour to make it stick out from the other classes, and people mad because they can make a red outfit look good.

If that's the case, i wish warden/dk/and sorc all had permaglows too. That way i can use my huge mount collection and color match more of. I guess you can with the class sets now.

All in all, it don't matter anyways, because Zos does what Zos wants.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they are reading and they already said they arent changing it. Atleast as of right now.

If we playing nb to not showcase red glowy skills, then why did you make a nightblade?

I like the red permaglow, the fact that its the only class that has a permanent glowing effect, is what creates uniqueness. Just get over it or play a different class.

They gave nightblade some cool glamour to make it stick out from the other classes, and people mad because they can make a red outfit look good.

If that's the case, i wish warden/dk/and sorc all had permaglows too. That way i can use my huge mount collection and color match more of. I guess you can with the class sets now.

I made a nightblade because I wanted to experience the gameplay of a nightblade (abilities and combat), not because I wanted "to showcase red color". But I guess I was doing it for the wrong reasons. :#

Also, the main issue is not that it's red. It's because it's irritating to look at that glow ALL THE TIME while not in combat. If I wanted a permaglow, I would get an arms pack of something.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted a permaglow, I would get an arms pack of something.

Except ZOS has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't always get what you pay for. That arms pack you buy can be rendered worthless overnight, like they killed Gloambound with the red permaglow.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    If I wanted a permaglow, I would get an arms pack of something.

Except ZOS has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't always get what you pay for. That arms pack you buy can be rendered worthless overnight, like they killed Gloambound with the red permaglow.

Yes, I know. What I meant is that if someone wants a permaglow for existing things then it should be a decision made by that player (like buying an arms pack, using a toggle, or applying a skill style).
    Edited by ESO_player123 on September 1, 2024 7:27AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Try reading the rest of this thread. Yes, I know there's a lot of posts in it, but these posts mention why people don't like the permaglow, e.g. it's the wrong shape for some weapons (weapons paid for by real life money, by the way), and it's always turned on if you have the skill points allocated. Both of these are enough reason to dislike the glow.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "they are reading and they already said they arent changing it. Atleast as of right now."

They said it's intended only a couple minutes before people starting posting about the actual Issues that come with it.
    We've been told twice in 12 months that they'll ask the team about it with no response.
    Atfer one year I'm ready to say that we're getting fooled by the people we hand our money to.

"If we playing nb to not showcase red glowy skills, then why did you make a nightblade?"

The reddish visual aspects of the class skills only appear during combat. As they do for every class.
    Not for the nightblade anymore. Funnily enough the same patch that broke grim focus also fixed a visual aspect of the arcanists spells because people claimed that it was unpleasant to look at for several reasons similar to ours.

"They gave nightblade some cool glamour to make it stick out from the other classes, and people mad because they can make a red outfit look good."

They didn't *give* anything to the nightblade, they took an important visual indicator for combat.

People aren't mad that they can make a red outfit look good, they are mad because the stuff they paid for to dress in any other color is now rendered useless. Did we get our money back? No.
    What we got was the vaguest warning label in existence applied to weapon packs 2 whole months after they cheated us out of the money already spend.

"If that's the case, i wish warden/dk/and sorc all had permaglows too. That way i can use my huge mount collection and color match more of. I guess you can with the class sets now."

You can achieve the same goal with class sets and many other craftable and farmable sets without cheating other people out of their damn money. You have options, we do NOT.
    Edited by NoticeMeArkay on September 1, 2024 9:52AM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Also, the main issue is not that it's red. It's because it's irritating to look at that glow ALL THE TIME while not in combat. If I wanted a permaglow, I would get an arms pack of something.

Yep. I bought the kargaeda arms pack specifically because I wanted its blue glow when unsheathed for one of my sorcerers since it has an alteration spell aesthetic. I have another sorcerer who I don't want any effect on. This works out great.

I'd like to choose my characters' looks, not have ZOS do it.

And I don't want to force a blue glowing effect on other players' sorcerers just because I want one for mine. I'd rather not have it if it meant other players' sorcerers had to have it as well if I had it. I'll never understand the ''well I like the red glow so deal with it'' perspective.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This in my opinion is the biggest screw up by ZOS since the game came out, and that's some big words right there if you know all the problems this game has had in the past.

I'm not going to repeat everything people have said, we know all of the issues it has already, this is page 40 after all. Is there anything we can do to reach the higher ups? Does anyone have any kind of idea of what to do to fix this?

I feel like we need to come together and try to fix this outside the forums at this point, Twitter, YouTube, anything. We don't want this permaglow, it's awful.
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    This in my opinion is the biggest screw up by ZOS since the game came out, and that's some big words right there if you know all the problems this game has had in the past.

And this is the problem with this thread in a nutshell. It being (seriously) presented as the biggest problem in the game. Move over being “stuck in combat”… they made a red glow on weapons.

Simply ridiculous.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my humble opinion, a bigger problem with this thread are the people who come into this thread just to say that this isn’t a serious problem because it doesn’t interfere with their characters and the way they play the game. While I will admit I don’t consider this the WORST problem ESO has ever experienced, it’s still way up there on the list for those of us who loved how our Nightblades looked before the ever present hideous red glow messed up everything.

Me, I’ve never been stuck in combat in the 10+ years I’ve been playing this game so I have no experience with that issue, but it sounds like a horrible problem if it means you get stuck in combat and have to either log out or re-log or even get customer service to help you get out of state, so I totally understand people wanting that to be prioritized and fixed. But that doesn’t lessen the need for the permaglow or any other issue in the game to be looked at either.
    Edited by Elvenheart on September 3, 2024 7:24PM
  • Stormy_Night
    Stormy_Night
    ✭✭✭
    shimm wrote: »

And this is the problem with this thread in a nutshell. It being (seriously) presented as the biggest problem in the game. Move over being “stuck in combat”… they made a red glow on weapons.

Simply ridiculous.
    It is not being presented as the biggest problem, LesserCircle said that in their OPINION it is the biggest screw up by ZOS. Unlike being stuck in combat which is a bug that hasn't been resolved, this has been done ON PURPOSE by ZOS. I agree that it is a screw up. It boggles the mind as to why they've gone this route and I don't understand the hostility by players who are unaffected by this issue. This thread is about addressing the permanent red glow and those unhappy about the change or bothered by the fact that it interferes with styles that have been purchased and were working perfectly in the past.
  • Heren
    Heren
    ✭✭✭
    shimm wrote: »

Simply ridiculous.

Sounds more like your problem with this thread. You see, it's all a question of one's opinions.