Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy Attack Builds

• Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    Billium813 wrote: »
    games are supposed to be fun.

Can you define "fun" in a way that will satisfy everyone?

how does people having fun with oakensoul and lightning staves affect your fun that you clearly like to have in a different way?
    Zezin wrote: »

how does people having fun with oakensoul and lightning staves affect your fun that you clearly like to have in a different way?

This is not a single player game, even though a lot of people seem to think it is, and for the record if oakensoul were to get the pale order treatment that would be a solution but as long as we have it in group content where it is giving an unfair advantage to people, then people will continue complaining.

i never said it was a single player game? oakensoul has made it easier for me to do harder content group content and solo content.
    and i thought higher damage was desirable in group content?

> More damage = more fun

That is one view of "fun". Not everyone agrees with it though, I'm sure.

Theoretically, what if there was an item/skill that insta-killed any mob (trash or Boss). Press button, 2 seconds later, it's dead. How many players do you think would use that item/skill? Would you say this item/skill is too much damage? Can you define where the line is between "fun" amounts of damage and "unfun" amounts of damage?

How about effort. Can you define "fun" amounts of effort for a group? At what point does a decrease in an amount of effort "trivialize" the content for other members of the group? How much does an individual member of a group need to contribute to feel like they are contributing? Is it a percentage or a raw amount?
    Edited by Billium813 on April 12, 2023 3:23PM
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry guys, the new mythic that gets rid of LAs this time is going to kill Oakensoul... by being much more broken than it.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry guys, the new mythic that gets rid of LAs this time is going to kill Oakensoul... by being much more broken than it.

don't forget it reduces the damage of heavy attacks too!
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

YES! This whole tread is now pointless ahahahahahaha.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

More fun... Arcanists get a skill, that when slotted on EITHER bar, gives 100% uptime to Major Brutality and Major Sorcery.......LOL

I said that when the Arcanist dropped, Oakensoul would be forgotten.... but WOW..... between the new mythics, and the Arcanist.... Oakensoul is kind of a joke, now.

Auldwulfe
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, while I know they are making this to sell Necrom... and I expect it to be nerfed after they got the sales numbers they need.... hopefully, it will be used to work on current classes, and bring them up to speed..... or even the DK will end up retired..... Sad for people that have LOTs of characters they are already attached to.

Auldwulfe
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you understand how buffs work... Dreugh king is a trash set as it gives an easily available buff that can be obtained with potions, oaken soul, skills etc... Also it's not 20% increased damage, it's 20% increased spell and weapon damage, which in turn are stats used to calculate the skills damage but in reality it's not actually a 20% increase.

I think, perhaps you might be unaware of how people like or choose to use buffs. Dreugh King is very much not trash for certain play. I don't like wasting a pot slot for savagery so I prefer other means. I've been known to wear Dreugh King so i can guzzle unstoppable pots with health which work better for me. And I like that bit of expedition for free. Much like I prefer rattlecage over camo hunter. This is not zero sum. Its what suits the individual player.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mu using oakensoul on certain builds wont be in any way affected by this ne class. I'm sure I'm not alone. The bleeding edge min maxers can enjoy their new challenge and I wish them well.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schared wrote: »

This is not a single player game, even though a lot of people seem to think it is, and for the record if oakensoul were to get the pale order treatment that would be a solution but as long as we have it in group content where it is giving an unfair advantage to people, then people will continue complaining.

i never said it was a single player game? oakensoul has made it easier for me to do harder content group content and solo content.

I believe the mention of gorup content here comes into play as it removes some of the interactions between players and essentially grants single-player experience in a group setting.
    Perhaps you encountered such groups yourself: Where instead of a singular unit you have 4 soloplayers doing the content at their own pace.

I'm trying to think of one case in which I've done a dungeon and relied on a buff that I can't now get from Oakensoul instead. I'm drawing a blank. DEBUFFS in my experience are commonly achieved through teamwork, e.g. Major Breach, Minor Breach, Minor Magickasteal and others. But buffs? Whether I'm PUGging or duoing, that doesn't happen .. except perhaps for the buffs specifically left out of Oakensoul, such as the class-specific Minors, or Major Force.

There are a couple of cases of buffs I handed out myself -- but I'd generally stopped with those anyway. E.g., Oakensoul conflicts with the buffs from Combat Prayer. But I'd pretty much stopped using Combat Prayer in dungeons after the Minor Berserk nerf. It's also been a long time since I tried giving a group Major Resolve via the Warden skill.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 14, 2023 12:36AM
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can admit when I didn't think to say something and I forgot that you don't have to nerf things if you just make other things that people will chase more lol!
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    [quote="LunaFlora;c-7847082"

Kinda skipped that one earlier - you appear to be under a apparently common misconception: That the thread is adressing only the daamge of the sets. Rather it does attempt to adress it as a bundle.

Flat out the statement "more dmg good" is obviously correct but generally speaking more damage used to come with a drawback: At times it was the need to play in melee range and be at higher risk, use a lower hp setup, be less tanky, have ressource issues, keeping up a stellar rotation or perhaps more indirectly putting in the effort to get better.

The current setting provides a almost downside less cover of all bases - while obviously 1 bar is a limitation - as many use sorcerers in particular that block out even more skillslots with pets I would suggest that even with just a singular active slot it would still be somewhat competetive.

And to quote you here - games are supossed to be fun, but for many fun lies within challange. [/quote]

the drawback to oakensoul for me is not having another weapon to switch to because i did enjoy using arena weapons like the Vateshran destruction staff.

whilst i get besides losing the second skillbar and weapon there isnt much else you lose
    the game is less of a challenge with oakensoul for me which is something that's made the game more fun.

many people find a challenge fun, but i and many others don't find the challenge of two bars and/or light attack weaving fun

[/quote]

I see, a valid opinion of course - but as the other rotation has been at the core of eso's identity, you can likely see how further change in a similar direction of oakensoul will alienate people.
    cleared AA once i know what iam doing
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    Just my 2 cents from an apocryphal standpoint.

It would seem that "A" problem is not entirely just the combination of Storm Master and Sergeant's mail combed together, but with the 100% empower uptime from the oakensoul ring (the ring is also not the problem) it would be this: Empower needs to be slightly dialed back a bit.

I honestly wouldn't mind it being reduced to 50% but at the same time, this buff is also even more dangerous when taking "off-balance" into account which increases the targets heavy attack damage taken by another whopping 70% which pushes the numbers through the roof (especially with certain CP Skill allocations such as master at arms and others.)

So one plausible solution would be to reduce the empower buffs heavy attack damage boost from 80% to 50%, but increase heavy attack damage done to "off-balance" targets from 70% to 100% (maybe 90% as a balance safety net.).
    It is a good idea as off-balance only lasts a short time and once expired, the target becomes immune to being off-balance for a long time like it does already, that way all builds regardless of armor sets are on somewhat equal footing surrounding this situation, the empower buff gets pulled back a bit, and oakensoul doesn't have to get shafted.(again.)

I would agree with that assessment on a general view - and also suggested that as part of the fixes. However I would also have the defensive buff makeup and the tri-focus bug adressed.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

Correct and depending on tuning itll need adressing too.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

I believe the mention of gorup content here comes into play as it removes some of the interactions between players and essentially grants single-player experience in a group setting.
    Perhaps you encountered such groups yourself: Where instead of a singular unit you have 4 soloplayers doing the content at their own pace.

I'm trying to think of one case in which I've done a dungeon and relied on a buff that I can't now get from Oakensoul instead. I'm drawing a blank. DEBUFFS in my experience are commonly achieved through teamwork, e.g. Major Breach, Minor Breach, Minor Magickasteal and others. But buffs? Whether I'm PUGging or duoing, that doesn't happen .. except perhaps for the buffs specifically left out of Oakensoul, such as the class-specific Minors, or Major Force.

There are a couple of cases of buffs I handed out myself -- but I'd generally stopped with those anyway. E.g., Oakensoul conflicts with the buffs from Combat Prayer. But I'd pretty much stopped using Combat Prayer in dungeons after the Minor Berserk nerf. It's also been a long time since I tried giving a group Major Resolve via the Warden skill.

That sort of aligns with my initial statement of ongoing simplification in the game, I would say wouldnt it?
    But your right the TLDR is buffs are to be ignored entire and debuffs are still somewhat relevant - that is to say that mostly pen debuffs are still relevant and in the advent of the new patch and mythic's that comes with it ESO sways further in the direction of dumbing things down as depending on tuning the next mythic will remove the relevance of pen-debuffs.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    I don't think you understand how buffs work... Dreugh king is a trash set as it gives an easily available buff that can be obtained with potions, oaken soul, skills etc... Also it's not 20% increased damage, it's 20% increased spell and weapon damage, which in turn are stats used to calculate the skills damage but in reality it's not actually a 20% increase.

I think, perhaps you might be unaware of how people like or choose to use buffs. Dreugh King is very much not trash for certain play. I don't like wasting a pot slot for savagery so I prefer other means. I've been known to wear Dreugh King so i can guzzle unstoppable pots with health which work better for me. And I like that bit of expedition for free. Much like I prefer rattlecage over camo hunter. This is not zero sum. Its what suits the individual player.

Nobody is discouraging individual playstyles here mate - but the idea that they are all equal with varying difficulty is foolish.
    Wouldnt you agree that someone putting in half the effort should be rewarded with half the result?
    Oversimplifying here ofc but I bet your smelling what Iam selling.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

It is the new OP overshadowing the old. But bombing a forest fire wont preserve the tree's.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will see the final numbers, but for some reason I'm betting it's gonna be yet again balance breaking feature to sell the chapter for a chunk of active playerbase. It's unfortunate that we suffered a lot of balancing rendering builds and specs useless now to just have things not obeying general rules that were build in recent years. I'd better just take new spreadsheets and [snip] than going off rails every year because sell-sell.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 15, 2023 10:33AM
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is the new OP overshadowing the old. But bombing a forest fire wont preserve the tree's.

This could be more like starting a newer bigger forest fire..... near a small town..... that also happens to contain a warehouse with the new ESO server hardware.

Kidding, but depending on strength of the item and builds people come up with oakensoul might sadly pale in comparison as an issue. Leading into an eventual nerf after sales are made that might leave things looking like who knows what.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That sort of aligns with my initial statement of ongoing simplification in the game, I would say wouldnt it?
    But your right the TLDR is buffs are to be ignored entire and debuffs are still somewhat relevant - that is to say that mostly pen debuffs are still relevant and in the advent of the new patch and mythic's that comes with it ESO sways further in the direction of dumbing things down as depending on tuning the next mythic will remove the relevance of pen-debuffs.

In content with avoidable mechanics, making things easier can always be said to make them simpler. For example, look at the WGT Planar Inhibitor fight over the years. It went from groups caring a lot about whose job it was toc lose portals, to anybody being able to close portals, to nobody caring whether portals ever got closed.
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heelie wrote: »
    Ignoring the dps site, can someone that defends oalensoul come up with a reason why a dps player should get all the different tank buffs? This is really the biggest strength of oakensoul. The empower you can just get from mages guild. I can tank vet trials doing 100k dps atm.

Accesibility!

Not the noob/bad player one. The ppl with disabilities one. And for them a bit more defense is crucial. Dead players do no damage..

Microsoft bought zenimax. And MS is pretty hardcore on accessibility. They have website and believe even hotline for it.

Just count the nunber of accessivikity improvements that got added UI and otherwise since the vuyout. Not a coincidence.

Directive came from up top. Like above boss zos top. And every top level end game player quitting wont change it. Neither will thousandss of posts in this and other threads...

Company policy. Best make peace with it.

ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    remosito wrote: »
    Ignoring the dps site, can someone that defends oalensoul come up with a reason why a dps player should get all the different tank buffs? This is really the biggest strength of oakensoul. The empower you can just get from mages guild. I can tank vet trials doing 100k dps atm.

Accesibility!

Not the noob/bad player one. The ppl with disabilities one. And for them a bit more defense is crucial. Dead players do no damage..

Microsoft bought zenimax. And MS is pretty hardcore on accessibility. They have website and believe even hotline for it.

Just count the nunber of accessivikity improvements that got added UI and otherwise since the vuyout. Not a coincidence.

Directive came from up top. Like above boss zos top. And every top level end game player quitting wont change it. Neither will thousandss of posts in this and other threads...

Thats not it. It is not an accesibility feature as the sum total of the setup is an accident.
  • nokturnihs
    nokturnihs
    ✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    axi wrote: »
    here is a great example

vSCP HM SOLO

Do you really think someone who isn't already good at the game can just throw on an oaken build and do this?

Vet SCP HM solo is not specifically tied to one bar builds. Two bar setup is actually doing better job there since it offers more tools to Your disposal and ring of the pale order is better there than oakensoul anyway and dungeon itself is not that hard. If I remember correctly @luchtt even soloed trifecta there with two bar setup.

Fact that SPC can be soloed with oakensoul really doesn't bring anything into one bar heavy attack builds discossion.

that's my point. people who can do crazy things like 3 minute vAS HM clears with oakensoul can already do 3 minute vAS HM clears.
    people who can't clear vAS HM won't suddenly be able to just master all the mechanics because of oakensoul. for anyone who can already do 100k dps on a dummy it's going to make almost no difference. for those who can't it'll help, but they still need to master the mechanics.

it's not giving out free IR or godslayer runs.

There is a very, very small subset of people who have the reflexes and ability to do HM mechanics but don't have the ability to master dps rotations.
    Anyone who gets 75k on a two bar build who suddenly gets 85k on a HA build isn't going to magically learn the skills and disciple to get into flare and drop hoarfrost and not wipe the group in vCR+3.
    I don't see how it devalues any of the current content or achivements.

I believe you are missunderstanding - you dont need reflexes to do the mechanics as you are tanky enough to ignore them for the most part. And yes it is absolutely giving out free titles. Those people who are adequatly prepared to do the raid without setup have to put in a far grander amount of effort to achiev the same or lesser results. Lots of the people that now clear with the time you mentioned have infact not done it with that time before. A simple check on the consistency of their representation on the scoreboard will back up my argument here.

Those of us with disabilities have to put in far more effort than those "adequately prepared" individuals you mentioned just to meaningfully participate harder content to begin with. The question is which group should receive new disadvantages in the form of nerfs? Do neither deserve them? Why is that so threatening to some of the player base?
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Accesibility!

Thats not it. It is not an accesibility feature as the sum total of the setup is an accident.

Sure is not an accident...
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    [
    Those of us with disabilities have to put in far more effort than those "adequately prepared" individuals you mentioned just to meaningfully participate harder content to begin with. The question is which group should receive new disadvantages in the form of nerfs? Do neither deserve them? Why is that so threatening to some of the player base? [/quote]
    nokturnihs wrote: »
    axi wrote: »
    here is a great example

vSCP HM SOLO

Do you really think someone who isn't already good at the game can just throw on an oaken build and do this?

Vet SCP HM solo is not specifically tied to one bar builds. Two bar setup is actually doing better job there since it offers more tools to Your disposal and ring of the pale order is better there than oakensoul anyway and dungeon itself is not that hard. If I remember correctly @luchtt even soloed trifecta there with two bar setup.

Fact that SPC can be soloed with oakensoul really doesn't bring anything into one bar heavy attack builds discossion.

that's my point. people who can do crazy things like 3 minute vAS HM clears with oakensoul can already do 3 minute vAS HM clears.
    people who can't clear vAS HM won't suddenly be able to just master all the mechanics because of oakensoul. for anyone who can already do 100k dps on a dummy it's going to make almost no difference. for those who can't it'll help, but they still need to master the mechanics.

it's not giving out free IR or godslayer runs.

There is a very, very small subset of people who have the reflexes and ability to do HM mechanics but don't have the ability to master dps rotations.
    Anyone who gets 75k on a two bar build who suddenly gets 85k on a HA build isn't going to magically learn the skills and disciple to get into flare and drop hoarfrost and not wipe the group in vCR+3.
    I don't see how it devalues any of the current content or achivements.

I believe you are missunderstanding - you dont need reflexes to do the mechanics as you are tanky enough to ignore them for the most part. And yes it is absolutely giving out free titles. Those people who are adequatly prepared to do the raid without setup have to put in a far grander amount of effort to achiev the same or lesser results. Lots of the people that now clear with the time you mentioned have infact not done it with that time before. A simple check on the consistency of their representation on the scoreboard will back up my argument here.

Those of us with disabilities have to put in far more effort than those "adequately prepared" individuals you mentioned just to meaningfully participate harder content to begin with. The question is which group should receive new disadvantages in the form of nerfs? Do neither deserve them? Why is that so threatening to some of the player base?

Those of us who are "adequately prepared" did only mention with struggle prior aswell. Or should I rather say challenge. It is not a threat to some in the player base and not a gatekeeping argument it is about direction. Id strongly point oyu towards prior comments as they already contain the answers you seek.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

Accesibility!

Sure is not an accident...

I mean their entire combat system was an accident. It had been admitted in the past. So Iam not willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

Accesibility!

The game was already accessible to those who tried. Even assuming an grand influx of previously unable players the overall playerbase is dwindeling so either it did infact not have the desired effect or the adjustments make the game unenjoyable to more people than it makes em enjoyable for. And while that may be a contemporary observation it is an ongoing trend.

Yes, hardcore is a good word for it - overdoing it may be another. I for one find it somewhat offensive to essentially tell people "if your handycapped, this is for you or you have to play this". But I guess the narrative goes only one way.

The UI changes are good. I even pushed and posted for clearer elements yet as the UI changes the way we interact with the game rather than the game itself it precisely illustrates the problem so many have with it.

Your prolly right, they are not willing to listen to their consumers and Iam likely shouting into the void. But as Dylan Thomas said "Do not go gently into that good night, .... , Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Accesibility!

Accessibility is not a reason to upend the game balance. One also cannot make it so only disabled people use the "accessibility option" even if it was for disabilities so it would inevitably tank the game balance as we've seen since a large numbers of players will use the easy button if given the option resulting in inevitable nerfs to that accessibility option as the devs struggle to re-establish balance so they do not lose players. An imbalanced game loses players and money which goes directly against Microsoft's first priority - making its investors money. So losing players is not a viable course of action for ZoS or MS as any executive who does lose money pursuing such endeavors will be replaced and a more competent executive hired to make money since neither ZoS nor MS are charities.

That being said accessibility as ZoS uses in its communications to the players is not specific to disabilities it's specific to ease of access to content for all players. I'm also curious as to what your sources are for the claims you made in the second portion of your post, are you a Microsoft or ZoS employee, did it come from press releases as I've been a Microsoft enthusiast between PC gaming and Xbox gaming for 25 years and haven't seen such specific statements about upending game balance for accessibility policies?
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your prolly right, they are not willing to listen to their consumers and Iam likely shouting into the void. But as Dylan Thomas said "Do not go gently into that good night, .... , Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

well.. there are plenty in the other camp that are for HA being decent... probavly way more actually..

• remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Accesibility!

Accessibility is not a reason to upend the game balance. One also cannot make it so only disabled people use the "accessibility option" even if it was for disabilities so it would inevitably tank the game balance as we've seen since a large numbers of players will use the easy button if given the option resulting in inevitable nerfs to that accessibility option as the devs struggle to re-establish balance so they do not lose players. An imbalanced game loses players and money which goes directly against Microsoft's first priority - making its investors money. So losing players is not a viable course of action for ZoS or MS as any executive who does lose money pursuing such endeavors will be replaced and a more competent executive hired to make money since neither ZoS nor MS are charities.

That being said accessibility as ZoS uses in its communications to the players is not specific to disabilities it's specific to ease of access to content for all players. I'm also curious as to what your sources are for the claims you made in the second portion of your post, are you a Microsoft or ZoS employee, did it come from press releases as I've been a Microsoft enthusiast between PC gaming and Xbox gaming for 25 years and haven't seen such specific statements about upending game balance for accessibility policies?

upend game balance?

exagerating much? top dogs before are still top dogs.. by quite a margin..
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Accesibility!

upend game balance?

exagerating much? top dogs before are still top dogs.. by quite a margin..

Exactly.

The HA build is a solid second place dps build, but it’s not a “far distant” enough second place build for these particular high end players.