Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Racial Passives and Hybridization

Billium813
Billium813
✭✭✭✭✭
With the hybridization changes, it feels like the racial passives seem to have been left out in the cold; specifically the passives that increase maximum offensive stats (Stamina & Magicka). Races like Redguard, Orc, Nord, Imperial, & Bosmer have passives that exclusively provide max Stamina while Breton & High Elf exclusively provide max Magicka. Meanwhile, races like Dark Elf & Khajiit seem to be hybridized and the default choice for players since there doesn't seem to be much of a penalty for being in both stats (Dynamic gives +1900 to both stats while Bosmer gets +2000 in one?)

First off, since damage scales off your highest offensive stat, this means that races are incentivized to spec towards their racial offensive stat preference. I'm not saying that players are required to play into their racial passives, but they are incentivized to do so. You can go ahead and play your bow/2H stam Breton, but you are going to have lower damage numbers than a race that has Stamina passives simply because your highest offensive stat (Stamina in this case) will be lower than those of another race.
Now, we can argue how much these passives really end up mattering and/or how only min/max players really even care, but the fact remains that something like +2000 resources in your primary stat is noticeable. I think with the recent decreases in DPS that players are seeing, things like racial choice for specific passives is being placed under the microscope much more than it used it. Players are looking for any little thing they can use to try to achieve the same DPS they used to be seeing before, and that is causing all these small issues to be scrutinized much more. Yes, player skill is important, even more so that hard stats. But being even marginally handicapped, based on something arbitrary like Race, that we can change with tokens... seems unnecessary.

Second, I would argue that it doesn't make any sense with lore and RP. Are you saying there are no Bosmer mages? No High Elf Bow users? I can see the logic that some races could have natural leanings (Orcs are strong... so Stamina!), but this also seems to contradict the existence of Orc Shamans or Redguard sword singers, who were as much mages as sword masters. Feels like after a while, the character should be able to spec into whatever they want to focus on.

I think there are maybe a couple ideas on possible implementations to fix this:
  1. Make damage scale off a combination of both offensive stats. I'm sure there are issues with this and it would require tons of re-balancing, for that alone I don't think anyone would want this, but it would help all those sets that give both Max Stamina and Max Magicka. It would allow true hybrid builds to exist that aren't necessarily stamina or magicka focused. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure
  2. Add morphs to the racial passives that allow a player to chose which offensive stat to spec into. The passive could start out focused, but allow for an improvement in a different stat, perhaps even a lesser improvement than the racial leaning to reduce the gap.
  3. Remove all offensive oriented passives from racial passives. This would leave only non-combat buffs like swimming, drinking, pickpocketing, falling, detection (out of combat). Maybe some elemental resistances...

Personally, I like option 2. I think there are some interesting things that could be done, similar to the Dynamic passive from Dark Elves or Spell Recharge from the High Elves. Having passives change based on the build, rather than the hard coded choice, would be nice changes as well.

DISCLAIMER
I like racial passives. I like that each race has different inherent strengths (Nords with drinking buffs, Argonians with swimming speed buffs, Khajiit with Pickpocketing buffs, Bosmer fall out of trees a lot so they have fall damage buffs, ect). Those things make the game feel alive and fun when they come up, and are subtle enough that players don't feel the need to switch classes for them specifically. I am 100% in favor of non-combat passives (really, more non-combat content like agility courses...) and I am even kind of ok with non-offensive combat passives when used sparingly (like Nords with Frost Resistance or Argonians with Disease Immunity). It's nice when it comes up, but doesn't come up enough for players to feel they need it. If it were up to me, I would remove all offensive stat buffs from racial passives. That isn't going to happen, so this is just my personal preference
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    in the past, I used to be completely opposed to the idea of eliminating racial passives, simply because I still think that decisions and picking your pros and cons should matter in a RPG game. However, at this current point, we have reached a situation where, with the exception of class of course, race is basically about the only important choice left in the game in terms of character identity which does not really make any sense. So yes, I agree that racial passives should go, making the race a purely cosmetical thing. That would be in line of the overal trend the game is drifting towards.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll second the racial passive morph. It will break all the cookie cutter build guides.
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    MY name is Redguards Revenge because it addresses the fact that ZoS nerfed redguard hard and since the time of those nerfs never updated the redguard passives even when it has been concretely shown that have been shown to be superficial in game. Looks good on paper but in practice does nothing. No matter how much I bring up this conscious or unconscious bias, they ignore it every patch. They have a quota to meet every year. They will only improve things where their majority of their fanbase use or play. My revenge is simply doing nothing now and allowing them to fall to their own devices. Their fanbase will see what is up when their games are the same thing with different paint on it. You can only tell the same story so many times.

That's why I am making a bold choice and telling a story that removes the human element out of it. It will be a sci fi series. The main character is a human. I expect this story to flop hard but in time it will be vindicated. Most stories nowadays keep the human element to make things relatable. It muddies all the ability to tell intriguing stories and plots that to a human makes no sense but for another being makes extreme sense.

I put these differences in logic/evolutional outcomes in aliens. Humans think the way they do because they evolved to do so. All other life might not have two eyes in front of their heads. They might not have to have competed in a last man standing type of thing.

I am tired of the same old Norse and roman mythology. Since ZoS played it safe by leaning more on Bretons and sprinkled in some orc and redguards for TES: VI, I'll pass.

Starfield will lean a lot on human relatability. I am still on the fence about it. I get about 60$ per year to spend on games.
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this idea, some races can't really be a good hybrid and right now being a hybrid is the meta.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS just needs to finish hybridization across the game including racial passives.

Stay safe :)
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the racial passives aren’t equal and there is some room for improvement, I hope no changes would be made to them ever again. Last time i had to race change like 5 characters and made the new ones with races that complimented their roles. Doing it again would be expensive and souldraing, pls no.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After thing about it. It would be awesome if we could choose our race in the armory system as well.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »
    While the racial passives aren’t equal and there is some room for improvement, I hope no changes would be made to them ever again. Last time i had to race change like 5 characters and made the new ones with races that complimented their roles. Doing it again would be expensive and souldraing, pls no.

I am advocating for changes to racial passives that make players feel they need to change races LESS. I think it's a problem with the game when players feel the need to change races for combat advantages. We can argue about how much those changes are REALLY that important... but when a player changes from their Nord -> Breton because they want that 1% damage buff with max Magicka, they are making a concession for game stat reasons and having to sacrifice fun. To me, that is a failure in the game.

I don't want to eliminate racial passives and make it a pure cosmetic decision either, I think racial identity makes the game feel more alive and lived in, but the differences need to be more subtle and less combat oriented. I don't want each race to just be a reskin of each other race, then there's nothing to feel uniquely good at. Let the Nords have buffs to drinking and the Argonians swim way faster and Orcs mine ore resource nodes faster and Bosmer reduce fall damage and Imperials get better prices from Merchants and Khajiit pick pockets better. Let each race have some inherent non-combat buffs, but don't make those buffs the reason players feel the need to change classes.
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if all races had one of those non-combat buffs you mention and then, while leveling your character, you can further spec into three traits that fit your character (or are meta, if you're so inclined). These traits can be based on the current racial passives (for example increased Weapon/ Spell Damage, increased Crit Damage, increased Magicka, Stamina or Health, reduced cost of weapon abilities, returned resources on activating a class ability and so forth).

Want to be a tough Khajiit brawler, the Orc Shaman you mentioned or perhaps a Breton knight without any real magic capabilities? Just choose the traits that fit your character.

And you should be able to respec these at a shrine, just like your attributes, skills and morphs, if you want to use different traits for PVP and PVE, the meta changes or you just want to change things up a bit. That way all races are equal to start with, but both roleplayers and endgame veterans have more things to play around with.
    Edited by BasP on October 7, 2022 6:19PM
  • Artheiron
    Artheiron
    ✭✭✭
    I side with people who wants to make races not just a cosmetic thing.
    Here's an easy solution, make a repeatable quest that you can get once a day that gives you 1 day of racial passives of another race. Tie it to Rigurt the Brash or something, call it cultural exchange. That way people can have it if they want to keep the appearance of an elf and use imperial buffs temporarily when they needed to. Also this wouldn't change anything for the crown sales, People who don't want to deal with this can still buy race change tokens for a permanent solution.

With this solution, zos can go creative with their races and don't have to be shy about giving them more pronounced abilities that'd truly differentiate races.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybridization isn't finished at all. Potions, Enchantments, the buff system, etc.

Racial passives is just another example of how short player attention span is. The last changes were during U29, I believe? That is two years ago and everybody just went along with it. 🤷‍♂️
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on January 30, 2023 10:29AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came up with some ideas for non-combat oriented racial passives.
    The thought was:
    1 passive for XP gains in a skill line,
    1 passive that is really trivial,
    1 passive that is niche but good,
    and 1 passive that could have end game potential but isn't THAT important.

Argonian
    • Increases your experience gain with the Restoration Staff skill line by 15%
    • +100% swim speed
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Alchemical plant resource nodes*
    • Whenever you use a potion or poison you have a 5% chance to not consume it

Breton
    • Increases your experience gain with the Light Armor skill line by 15%
    • Immune to traps and 50% resistence to environmental damage
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Clothing resource nodes*
    • +5% chance to create an extra provision and potion

Dunmer
    • Increases your experience gain with the Dual Wield skill line by 15%
    • -25% cost for Wayshrine usage
    • +5% chance to find a second furnishing plan whenever you find a furnishing plan
    • +5% chance to gain increased quality items when looting stolen items. +25% value for fenced items.

Altmer
    • Increases your experience gain with the Destruction Staff skill line by 15%
    • Your Weapon Enchants decay 50% slower and your armor takes 50% less durability damage
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Runestone resource nodes*
    • Whenever you consume a provision you have a 5% chance to not consume it

Imperial
    • Increases your experience gain with the Alliance War skill line by 15%
    • +5% gold selling to merchants
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Heavy Sack resource nodes
    • +5% Alliance Point drop bonus

Khajiit
    • Increases your experience gain with the Medium Armor skill line by 15%
    • +10% increased success chance at pickpocketing and forcing locks
    • +5% chance to double the yield while Fishing
    • +5% chance to gain increased quality items from treasure chests

Nord
    • Increases your experience gain with the Two Handed skill line by 15%
    • +10 minutes to food and drink provisions
    • +5% chance to recieve Monster Trophies and double drops on Epic quality Treasures
    • +5% gold dropped from enemies

Orc
    • Increases your experience gain with the Heavy Armor skill line by 15%
    • -25% cost to repair armor and whenever you consume a repair kit you have a 50% chance to not consume it
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Ore resource nodes*
    • +5% chance for 1 material to be returned when improving an item at a Blacksmith, Clothing, or Woodworking station

Redguard
    • Increases your experience gain with the One Hand and Shield skill line by 15%
    • After winning a duel, gain Major Expedition and Major Gallop for 10 minutes
    • Decrease the time it takes for a fish to bite by 10%
    • +5% chance to increase the yield from Woodworking, Blacksmithing, and Clothing crafting materials when deconstructing

Bosmer
    • Increases your experience gain with the Bow skill line by 15%
    • -10% fall damage
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Wood resource nodes*
    • +5% chance to add 5 minutes to your active provision after leaving combat and having killed an enemy

*Note: all of the resource node buffs includes furnishing materials from their respective nodes
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    The thought was:

Argonian
    • +100% swim speed

Breton

Dunmer
    • +5% chance to find a second furnishing plan whenever you find a furnishing plan
    • +5% chance to gain increased quality items when looting stolen items. +25% value for fenced items.

Altmer
    • Your Weapon Enchants decay 50% slower and your armor takes 50% less durability damage

Imperial

Khajiit

Nord
    • +5% chance to recieve Monster Trophies and double drops on Epic quality Treasures

Orc
    • -25% cost to repair armor and whenever you consume a repair kit you have a 50% chance to not consume it
    • +5% chance for 1 material to be returned when improving an item at a Blacksmith, Clothing, or Woodworking station

Redguard
    • +5% chance to increase the yield from Woodworking, Blacksmithing, and Clothing crafting materials when deconstructing

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage
    • +5% chance to add 5 minutes to your active provision after leaving combat and having killed an enemy

*Note: all of the resource node buffs includes furnishing materials from their respective nodes

This direction with passives would solve the problem w/certain races being blatantly better than others, although I have to say, I would rearrange some of these passives…

Dunmer is overperforming yet again with these passives, while Breton is looking pretty horrible.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thought was:

Argonian
    • +100% swim speed

Breton

Dunmer

Altmer

Imperial

Khajiit

Nord

Orc

Redguard

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage

Not sure about the “ +5% chance to gain double the yield from Wood resource nodes” for Bosmers. Bosmers venerate plants too much for this to be lore friendly.

Maybe change it to a bonus to meat/raw leather yields from animals?

Also stealth. Kahjit, bosmer, even Dunmer and argonians could receive a bonus to stealth.
    Edited by BlueRaven on March 3, 2023 5:03PM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thought was:

Argonian
    • +100% swim speed

Breton

Dunmer

Altmer

Imperial

Khajiit

Nord

Orc

Redguard

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage

This direction with passives would solve the problem w/certain races being blatantly better than others, although I have to say, I would rearrange some of these passives…

Dunmer is overperforming yet again with these passives, while Breton is looking pretty horrible.

I would be interested in hearing how you are comparing the passives and coming to the conclusion that 1 class's passives > another. Some of the passives are there for lore specific reasons, but some can certainly be moved around and/or rebalanced to be more "fair".
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thought was:

Argonian
    • +100% swim speed

Breton

Dunmer

Altmer

Imperial

Khajiit

Nord

Orc

Redguard

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage

I would be interested in hearing how you are comparing the passives and coming to the conclusion that 1 class's passives > another. Some of the passives are there for lore specific reasons, but some can certainly be moved around and/or rebalanced to be more "fair".

As far as gold is concerned, having 25% reduced Wayshrine cost, a chance at double furnishing drops, and better thieving.

That thieving passive would much better fit Khajiit, I can say that for certain straightaway.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    The thought was:

Argonian
    • +100% swim speed

Breton

Dunmer

Altmer

Imperial

Khajiit

Nord

Orc

Redguard

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage

Not sure about the “ +5% chance to gain double the yield from Wood resource nodes” for Bosmers. Bosmers venerate plants too much for this to be lore friendly.

Maybe change it to a bonus to meat/raw leather yields from animals?

Also stealth. Kahjit, bosmer, even Dunmer and argonians could receive a bonus to stealth.

You know what, that's a great point about Bosmer. I suppose I wasn't really thinking when I put that in. Bosmer are supposed to go to great lengths NOT to mess with wood themselves. I think I wrote that early and didn't really look back again. I'll change that.

I decided not to include any stealth bonuses as it gets close to combat centric. I think I had Bosmer have "-10% fall damage & -10% cost to sneak while out of combat", but I ultimately felt that was too much for the "trivial" passive.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thought was:

Argonian
    • +100% swim speed

Breton

Dunmer

Altmer

Imperial

Khajiit

Nord

Orc

Redguard

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage

As far as gold is concerned, having 25% reduced Wayshrine cost, a chance at double furnishing drops, and better thieving.

That thieving passive would much better fit Khajiit, I can say that for certain straightaway.

I hadn't really thought -25% Wayshrine usage was that important. At 500gp, it'd be 125gp off. After the player gets the Wanderer passive, its like 100gp, so it's only 25gp off. I find it hard sometimes judging costs/values inside the ESO economic when I spend all my time in the Guild Trader economy (yes, they are completely different).

What if it were changed to:

Dunmer
    • -25% cost for Wayshrine usage. This can occur every 4 minutes.
    or
    • -10% cost for Wayshrine usage.

Also, I didn't want to overload any one race with a specific set of passives; for risk of pigeonholing that race into a specific skill set; I wanted to spread things around a bit. I understand the feelings on Khajiit, but other races can be sneaky. There are plenty of Dark Elves that are sneaks and cut throats. I felt giving Dark Elves better quality stolen items, and better barter with Fences, was enough of a difference. Khajiit may be better on quantity, but Dunmer could be better at quality and negotiations.
    Edited by Billium813 on March 3, 2023 5:36PM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draft #2 on this three races

Dunmer
    • -10% cost for Wayshrine usage

Altmer
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield from Runestone and Wood resource nodes*

Bosmer
    • -10% fall damage and -10% sneak cost when out of combat
    • +5% chance to gain double the yield when collecting Hide resources