Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

2021 NEEDS a new class.

• Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    proteinexe wrote: »
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    Not this again... there are like 100+ threads on this topic.

I know, I've been reading them all and this is my thoughts

Then you should know that the majority of people are heavily against the addition of a new class and most want new skill lines or weapon lines.

The time for new classes in ESO is over until they add in a class change system either through crownstore or via skill lines like FFXIV.

If neither of those things happen then the game MUST focus on giving us more skill lines and new systems to get new skills on top of existing characters. Most people do not want to level a new character. Especially since they aren't adding char slots next year (a direct sign we will not be getting a new class as char slots + class are heavily correlated.)
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    simox wrote: »
    no

says no but will have a new maxed out class within 7 days of release
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR - Classes bring people back to the game and there's no good reason not to introduce on to 2021.

First off, I'd like to preface this by mentioning that I've been monitoring all the forum posts which mention next year's patch, seeing the opinions and sway of peoples hopes for next year's patch. The core topic which is always brought up (other than performance) is whether or not they'll add a new class to next years Chapter. I fundamentally believe that it is in ZoS's best interest TO make a new class, and here's why:

"They should add a new skill line, not a class"

Looking back on the 5 previous chapters, the most hype has always come from the class-based chapters. Morrowind was extremely hyped, but this was partially due to us being allowed to indulge on the nostalgia element of Morrowind, but the introduction of the Warden started a snowball effect where everyone in the community was dabbling in theory-crafting and talking about how they could fit a warden into their current gameplay. I for one returned DUE to Morrowind. I had been out of the loop since a year into the game (I think everyone can think back to the state of ESO at launch), and the concept of a new class drew me back into the game. When I came back to the game, I was surprised to find the guild which I was previously in thriving, and through speaking to them on discord, it was revealed that the majority of returning players were there to try out Warden. This is fundamentally why I'm making this post, to stress the point that classes are one of the core driving forces which make the game thrive, and have a tendency to bring back old players (which we're in dire need off).

The one thing that boggles my mind about the forum thread is when people neglect the concept of a new class due to balancing but then all in favour for the implementation of new weapons and skill lines.. pardon? Forget the positives of a new skill line v. a new class. The damage control and balancing if they screwed up a new skill line compared to a new class is incomparable. The skill lines that have recently been added are lets face it, lackluster in comparison to what we can expect from this update if a skill line is introduced rather than a class (no shade aimed at Psijic or Vampire). A standalone class, no matter how broken, can be fixed with tweaks, not having any impact on the rest of ESO except the class itself. Screwing up a new skill line and making it viable for every class means any tweaking can make the skill-line broken in favour of 'X' class but now useless to 'Y' class. The balancing of a potential new skill-line would mean ZoS would cater for 12 potential class-builds (the stam/mag for each class). If you're complaining about ZoS's ability to balance a single class, why would it be a good idea in the current stage of ESO to add a potentially broken skill line which affects every class? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'd genuinely like to know if I'm missing the point here.

My final point on this is I'm not trying to 'one or the other' this, I'd love for both a skill line AND a class to be added, but that would be a cluster-*** of broken builds to put it lightly.

"They need to balance other classes first"

I 100% agree. But to neglect the idea of a new class because of the current class hierarchy of 'broken' is in my opinion flawed. ZoS are currently balancing as we discuss. The buff/de-buff changes was a great idea. Some classes (biggest culprits; warden and necromancer), crutched on buffs and de-buffs in both PvP and PvE to obtain free damage or tankiness. Although the class kits make them strong, they've ultimately been hit fairly hard by this nerf. It's almost as if ZoS specifically targeted this nerf around classes which were over-performing : )
    ZoS are always striving to make balances to the game, but it must be understood that a game as intricate and complex as ESO will mean any changes the devs make creates a butterfly effect, and with content creators solely looking for the BiS class/setup, there'll always be a build or class or skill which will be abused. To NOT add a class due to balancing would mean a class would never be added.. a bit of a drastic statement, and I understand some classes have ridiculous features (10% damage mitigation for Necros..), but believe it or not, ZoS aren't monkeys that slap a keyboard and eat salt for breakfast (or are they..?), they're employees of a multi-million pound business who probably have extensive experience in this field. I feel that we as the players can sometimes be in serious violation of the 'backseat driver' idiom.

"All the other classes cover any future classes"

This to me is a redundant statement. ALL the classes can do everything, this is how ZoS designs a class, to be a swiss army knife of Tamreil. All the classes have class kits to support tanking, healing and damage dealing, as well as a substantial ability to participate in PvP. What people really mean is all the current classes cover the THEME of any future classes. Nightblade being the rouge/assassin/hunter/darkmage, and so on (I shan't list them all, but you get the idea). But if you allow my interpretation, then we can 100% slot a new class in. Bard for instance is a theme which isn't even touched on currently, let alone a; monk, battlemage, engineer. For instance, a forum user created a whole new unique class called the 'engineer', and reading through, there are some great standalone skills which don't mingle with any other classes. Here's the link: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/544786/my-concept-eso-chapter-bronze-legion-includes-zone-map-new-class-item-sets-and-plot-points/p1

My personal favourite concept for a new class is the battlemage. A militant class with a strong influence on offensive support. I feel like there'll be a limit to the amount of classes which ESO can have without stepping on other classes toes, but we're nowhere near that limit currently, and I hope there'll always be brainstorm-ers looking to expand on the class list of ESO.

Cause for concern.

My one cause for concern about this up and coming update is simply COVID. The current Markarth update was great! Really nice story and some good systems implemented, but the bugs were above what is usually expected. I put this down to COVID, as it's probably a lot harder to test the patch when everything is so up in the air. I worry for next year's chapter, and the amount of content that they can reliably put in the game. But ultimately, I'm sure this'll be cleared up in late December/early January with an official statement about the direction of ESO.

Although I just wrote a fairly extensive forum thread on the the hopes of a new class being introduced to 2021 ESO, the jokes on me due to the fact that they've most likely already prepared and are in the final development stage for the chapter coming to 2021, class or not. BUT, I feel that the need for a new class needed to be stressed. I'd love to know the communities thoughts, and thank you for reading.

If you think Necros are even remotely balanced in this patch you need to reread the class skills/passives. Ignoring Major Vulnerability which is still great, they have a 15% damage and mitigation increase to all DOT damage, they have a passive 8% heal buff, the second best purge in the game- which is spamalbe, free health, free pen, and resurrection ult.

Not only that but they consistently out preform other roles at healing. In pvp they are second to none.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO

2021 needs stuff to be fixed. Too many bandaids and everything is falling apart. The solution is not more half-baked classes!
  • proteinexe
    proteinexe
    ✭✭✭✭
    everyone is saying about starting over.. starting over from what? it's a new class, you dont HAVE to play the new class. Also, I'd honestly rather as I said in my thread, a class AND skill-line which merge well, such as spell crafting and battlemage.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I would love a new class and I would love to see the old classes given a class fantasy rework that allows players to perform in the highest content without needing skills from skill lines.

Skill lines appeal to the min max player who is looking to push the envelope. But game content should never be balanced around this or it pushes everyone into specific builds (which is what we see today).

Classes appeal to the class fantasy player who wants to feel like they are playing out the archetype of that specific class. Because classes are "sold" as part of the reason to play the game, it's important that all of them and all roles within them meet the expectations of the highest content in game (which is NOT what we see today).

It appears to me that at a fundamental level, skill lines and classes are at odds with each other. You don't need skill line abilities if the class plays out as content requires, and "classes" lose their class personality when you start using a bunch of skill line abilities to create an overachieving abomination of a build (I dont use this in disparaging terms, but rather how a class no longer feels like a class with certain builds that use skill lines heavily).

But before either of these, I would like to see the bugs in game fixed. I'd start with the "not receiving mail until you zone, or log out and log back in" bug.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR - Classes bring people back to the game and there's no good reason not to introduce on to 2021.

First off, I'd like to preface this by mentioning that I've been monitoring all the forum posts which mention next year's patch, seeing the opinions and sway of peoples hopes for next year's patch. The core topic which is always brought up (other than performance) is whether or not they'll add a new class to next years Chapter. I fundamentally believe that it is in ZoS's best interest TO make a new class, and here's why:

Looking back on the 5 previous chapters, the most hype has always come from the class-based chapters. Morrowind was extremely hyped, but this was partially due to us being allowed to indulge on the nostalgia element of Morrowind, but the introduction of the Warden started a snowball effect where everyone in the community was dabbling in theory-crafting and talking about how they could fit a warden into their current gameplay. I for one returned DUE to Morrowind. I had been out of the loop since a year into the game (I think everyone can think back to the state of ESO at launch), and the concept of a new class drew me back into the game. When I came back to the game, I was surprised to find the guild which I was previously in thriving, and through speaking to them on discord, it was revealed that the majority of returning players were there to try out Warden. This is fundamentally why I'm making this post, to stress the point that classes are one of the core driving forces which make the game thrive, and have a tendency to bring back old players (which we're in dire need off).

The one thing that boggles my mind about the forum thread is when people neglect the concept of a new class due to balancing but then all in favour for the implementation of new weapons and skill lines.. pardon? Forget the positives of a new skill line v. a new class. The damage control and balancing if they screwed up a new skill line compared to a new class is incomparable. The skill lines that have recently been added are lets face it, lackluster in comparison to what we can expect from this update if a skill line is introduced rather than a class (no shade aimed at Psijic or Vampire). A standalone class, no matter how broken, can be fixed with tweaks, not having any impact on the rest of ESO except the class itself. Screwing up a new skill line and making it viable for every class means any tweaking can make the skill-line broken in favour of 'X' class but now useless to 'Y' class. The balancing of a potential new skill-line would mean ZoS would cater for 12 potential class-builds (the stam/mag for each class). If you're complaining about ZoS's ability to balance a single class, why would it be a good idea in the current stage of ESO to add a potentially broken skill line which affects every class? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'd genuinely like to know if I'm missing the point here.

My final point on this is I'm not trying to 'one or the other' this, I'd love for both a skill line AND a class to be added, but that would be a cluster-*** of broken builds to put it lightly.

I 100% agree. But to neglect the idea of a new class because of the current class hierarchy of 'broken' is in my opinion flawed. ZoS are currently balancing as we discuss. The buff/de-buff changes was a great idea. Some classes (biggest culprits; warden and necromancer), crutched on buffs and de-buffs in both PvP and PvE to obtain free damage or tankiness. Although the class kits make them strong, they've ultimately been hit fairly hard by this nerf. It's almost as if ZoS specifically targeted this nerf around classes which were over-performing : )
    ZoS are always striving to make balances to the game, but it must be understood that a game as intricate and complex as ESO will mean any changes the devs make creates a butterfly effect, and with content creators solely looking for the BiS class/setup, there'll always be a build or class or skill which will be abused. To NOT add a class due to balancing would mean a class would never be added.. a bit of a drastic statement, and I understand some classes have ridiculous features (10% damage mitigation for Necros..), but believe it or not, ZoS aren't monkeys that slap a keyboard and eat salt for breakfast (or are they..?), they're employees of a multi-million pound business who probably have extensive experience in this field. I feel that we as the players can sometimes be in serious violation of the 'backseat driver' idiom.

This to me is a redundant statement. ALL the classes can do everything, this is how ZoS designs a class, to be a swiss army knife of Tamreil. All the classes have class kits to support tanking, healing and damage dealing, as well as a substantial ability to participate in PvP. What people really mean is all the current classes cover the THEME of any future classes. Nightblade being the rouge/assassin/hunter/darkmage, and so on (I shan't list them all, but you get the idea). But if you allow my interpretation, then we can 100% slot a new class in. Bard for instance is a theme which isn't even touched on currently, let alone a; monk, battlemage, engineer. For instance, a forum user created a whole new unique class called the 'engineer', and reading through, there are some great standalone skills which don't mingle with any other classes. Here's the link: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/544786/my-concept-eso-chapter-bronze-legion-includes-zone-map-new-class-item-sets-and-plot-points/p1

My personal favourite concept for a new class is the battlemage. A militant class with a strong influence on offensive support. I feel like there'll be a limit to the amount of classes which ESO can have without stepping on other classes toes, but we're nowhere near that limit currently, and I hope there'll always be brainstorm-ers looking to expand on the class list of ESO.

Cause for concern.

My one cause for concern about this up and coming update is simply COVID. The current Markarth update was great! Really nice story and some good systems implemented, but the bugs were above what is usually expected. I put this down to COVID, as it's probably a lot harder to test the patch when everything is so up in the air. I worry for next year's chapter, and the amount of content that they can reliably put in the game. But ultimately, I'm sure this'll be cleared up in late December/early January with an official statement about the direction of ESO.

Although I just wrote a fairly extensive forum thread on the the hopes of a new class being introduced to 2021 ESO, the jokes on me due to the fact that they've most likely already prepared and are in the final development stage for the chapter coming to 2021, class or not. BUT, I feel that the need for a new class needed to be stressed. I'd love to know the communities thoughts, and thank you for reading.

they will 100% include a new class ... is it good? in my opinion now they cant even balance atm...
    (they release a new one every 2 years)
  • Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cause for concern.

they will 100% include a new class ... is it good? in my opinion now they cant even balance atm...
    (they release a new one every 2 years)

It isn't a 100% chance, so have some faith me boi.

They aren't giving us an extra character slot next year like they do whenever they release a new class. With that in mind; we most likely are not getting a new class because those two things are essentially one in the same. new class = new char slot. Confirmation of us not getting a new slot means they'd be VERY dumb to include a new class.

Plus most people do not want a new class. A new skill line or additional skill line to current classes would be way better.
    Edited by Vayln_Ninetails on November 10, 2020 3:56AM
  • Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone is saying about starting over.. starting over from what? it's a new class, you dont HAVE to play the new class. Also, I'd honestly rather as I said in my thread, a class AND skill-line which merge well, such as spell crafting and battlemage.

Starting over from having a maxed out class and achievements and stories completed on one character lol? You know, that whole reason why every other MMO except for ESO has a class change system of some kind.

And battlemage and spellcrafting being added together would be.....dear god.....easily the dumbest thing added to this game. If they add spellcrafting, why on earth would they add a NEW CLASS? It makes no sense. They could literally just divide all of 'battlemage's skills' in the spell crafting system since we already can be battlemages.

And ZoS NEVER release a class + skill line/big new system that adds skills. This is why people DONT WANT a new class. Because if we get a new class next year that means people who are already fine with their current classes will literally not have gotten anything new in terms of skills *for over 2 years.*

Again; if ESO had a class changing system there would be no issue with adding a new class. But since they don't they should focus on current classes and expanding weapons. I can 100% tell you the majority of people would LOVE to see spears or flails and hand-magic or tomes or spellcrafting.

We don't need a new class. Im sorry, we just don't.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "TL;DR - Classes bring people back to the game and there's no good reason not to introduce on to 2021."

Your premise that the population is waning is false. That aside 2021 content is already well into production so any new class would be rushed and not fully developed. If they were working on a new class now I think it would have been leaked in some way by now. Could be wrong though.
    Either way you want to bring players back to the game and a new class isn't the best way to go about doing that.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    "TL;DR - Classes bring people back to the game and there's no good reason not to introduce on to 2021."

Your premise that the population is waning is false. That aside 2021 content is already well into production so any new class would be rushed and not fully developed. If they were working on a new class now I think it would have been leaked in some way by now. Could be wrong though.
    Either way you want to bring players back to the game and a new class isn't the best way to go about doing that.

Exactly.

Bringing players back to the game would include things the game has never seen before or BIG performance updates. Examples: New weapons, new skill lines for existing classes.... Things that wouldn't require them to start from square 0.

New weapons being added to ESO would be a very big change that would draw a lot of eyes.

New skill lines for existing classes could help round out balance and ironically polish up each class.

Big New Systems like spellcrafting would quite frankly be the best thing added to ESO ever that would draw in players by the boat load. Imagine advertising being able to create your own spells from a list of NPC-spells and effects? Being able to truly design spells to play how you want? Amazing.

A new class does nothing.
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    2021 NEEDS bug fixes. I'm ready to wait until the next chapter without new content and new classes, if after that everyone says: "TESO? Yes, I know, high-quality MMORPG, minimum bugs, it's nice to play!"

In 2021 I want patches to be installed from PTS to live not because of a deadline, but because patch is ready to go live.
  • ruengdet2515
    ruengdet2515
    ✭✭✭
    No more, need only long story tes.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2 classes on the top and 2 classes on the bottom, no more no less, you don't want one side to have 3 now do you?

Dragonknight Templar Sorceror
    Nightblade Warden Necromancer
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on November 10, 2020 5:00AM
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also unless class change tokens become a thing then no.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No!
    Fix the old classes first!
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    Please no, after the terrible to play mess that Warden and Necro are....I hate to see what they come up with for a new class. I am tired of classes with half their skills on a delayed reaction...Warden and Necro have great toolboxes...but they are absolutely miserable to play compared to the original 4 classes.

Stamdens and Stamcro are absolutely Kings / Queens in PvP.

We don't need another Pay to Win class in PvP.

Fix the 4 old classes first!
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Considering how they haven't fixed Stalking Blastbones in over a year, Warden is overperforming in Cyrodiil, let alone haven't really fixed a lot of the base classes, why on Nirn is it a good idea to add another class?

Skill lines please. Or a fourth skill. I'm not wasting my money on a one-patch class.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm open to the idea of a new class so long as there is the ability to add it and do everything else that is needed. New classes are always fun, add something fresh to try and make things feel new. I think if it expands on the lore or even adds something new to it that would be great.
    I'd love to see clockwork expert or dwarven engineer type. A reach witch could be fun and reach person race. Maormer sea and water expert, watery magic and pirate combat skills with Maormer race. Sword singer. Monk/hand to hand might be fun if done very creatively.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You speak of theory-crafting — I would love to be able to choose from among available skill lines to create my own custom classes! :)
  • Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm open to the idea of a new class so long as there is the ability to add it and do everything else that is needed. New classes are always fun, add something fresh to try and make things feel new. I think if it expands on the lore or even adds something new to it that would be great.
    I'd love to see clockwork expert or dwarven engineer type. A reach witch could be fun and reach person race. Maormer sea and water expert, watery magic and pirate combat skills with Maormer race. Sword singer. Monk/hand to hand might be fun if done very creatively.

You can already be a dwarven engineer (just equip sets that let you summon a dwemer spider or sphere.) and honestly it'd be kind of hard to create a whole class out of it.

A reach witch would be oddly specific and wouldn't really be anything we haven't seen before.

Watery magic might be neat, but again I don't think they'd make a whole class out of it. Along with us being Maromere wouldnt make much sense since they literally hate most other races and keep to themselves.

Sword singers cant happen because Rada (the vampire guy) is one of the last sword singers and it is an extremely rare thing. Almost on the level of a dragonborn. A monk class wouldnt work and would fit more as a hand-to-hand weapon skill line which doesnt need to be introduced via class.

Most things people want can be added via new weapon or by extending our current class lines with a 4th skill line.
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you know what, you're right.

it just comes down to "they should do it well and also do everything else well too".
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "2021 NEEDS a new class."

No it doesn't.
    /thread
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i tell you was TESO in 2021 needs:

It needs to ship content when its ready to be shipped!

You touched the fact of the global pandemic and you raised your concerns about how good new things will be with homeoffice and what not, i tell you right here; wheter its a new class, a new skill line, new dungeons, a new trial, it really does not matter. it just needs to be done right! they can not ship any content anymore which breaks core mechanics of the game.

and we as gamers have to encourage them to do this step, sure we are consumers, and many of us have more sparetime now than we would have without the pandemic. nontheless, we cannot demmand other sectors of an industry to work like nothing is happening.

so instead of making posts what TESO und 2021 needs, you should make a post about how they should take their time, delay if necessary, give the employes more time, and ship what ever is new, when is effin ready! everyhting else, beeing a class, a skill line etc. shipped broken will hurt this game more than not having a new class/skill line etc
  • ArzyeL
    ArzyeL
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see new classes being added eventually but a new class in 2021 should not be a priority.
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    yes

no

yes
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    2021 needs to give me some more Werewolf Behemoth action. That was fun in Stone Garden.
    You know what? How about a new Alchemist class, that can turn into a behemoth! :D
  • Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kory wrote: »
    2021 needs to give me some more Werewolf Behemoth action. That was fun in Stone Garden.
    You know what? How about a new Alchemist class, that can turn into a behemoth! :D

I'd absolutely be alright with us getting Behemoths.

But then we should also get Vamp Lords for vampires to keep it fair.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can create hype in many ways. I came back to ESO after a 6 month break now with Markarth because of the Set Collection feature and the solo arena.

With that said i would love to see a monk as the next class. Always played thoose when available.
    Edited by ErMurazor on November 10, 2020 8:25AM
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should put ALL THEIR EFFORT in fixing server performance and game breaking bugs. Releasing new content be it skill line, class, zone, dungeon, trial, whatever, should be postponed until technical issues are fully fixed. Maybe some casual RPer here and there will disagree, but this seems to be common consensus.