Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests

• actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I´m just scared of the "rework to abilities". This could take rly long and *** up the game pretty hard.
    On the other hand, if executet right it COULD be not so bad after all.

@ZOS_RichLambert if u go for the cooldown stuff, make sure u go for the heal/purge/rangechecks and reduce them significantly so that the issue is solved once and for all.

ps: We all know that if it goes through (the cd stuff) it will be implemented to pve as well since it would "too confusing for players".

They basicly have to completely rework all classes (if we still have them after that) basicly every Skill in the Game.

Kinda fear this is step 1 to remove all classes and release the aoe stuff together with spellcrafting in a chapter in the next one or 2 years from now.

I like that they try to tackle cyro performance, but they should take a look if proc sets for example are such a good idea as they throw them on us like candy.

However, i will participate in each test and try to give feedback, hope others test as well.

@ZOS_RichLambert When the complete rework will happen, could u give us finally the freakin class change token? ^^
    Edited by actosh on July 30, 2020 2:55PM
    Options
  • PunkAben
    PunkAben
    ✭✭✭
    With update 25 the game got so laggy and it should have been a performance update, so now we can expect Cyrodiil will be contested and be even more unplayable then it already are ?
    The performance make people leave the game, maybe the server just are to small !
    The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    Well, I played a bit around on the PTS now there they have 3 seconds individual cooldown on the same AoE Skill, and I have to say it is not as bad as thought.

My Stamsorc still works fine since it only has Hurricane and Quick Cloak as AoE and buffs.

My pretty new AoE DoT based Necromancer actually worked pretty well too, I would only change Reverse Slice to Executioner to get one source of constant spammable damage, because using Reverse Slice would cripple the DPS to the ground, only being able to execute every 3 seconds is pretty useless. Stampede is really strong with Maelstrom 2h and doesn't really need to be spammed anyway, Caltrops stay on ground, so 3 seconds doesn't matter there either, same for Deadly Cloak once applied it stays I don't need to recast it. Overall I could just rotate around that 3 seconds, it actually helped my sustain a little, because I couldn't recast some skills directly after use, if it lagged or something and didn't need to pay double.

Stamplar and Magplar are a bit worse of there, Jabs are a wasted slot with that, but you can still rotate around other skills pretty well, Healspam won't work anymore of course, which can be a good thing but a bad thing as well, depending if you are solo or in group. Solo thats pretty bad, in a small organized group you can get covered by your members (Which btw. will lead to the fact that Ballgroups are still as overperforming as before, if one can't heal right now, 10 others do it instead, same for their AoE damage, if one can't cast 10 others do it).

So overall a 3 second individual cooldown could actually be a pretty nice change, and would bring a new awareness about your precise rotation instead of just spamming one skill to win.
    A Global Cooldown on the other hand would be destructive to combat and ruin the PvP, so if any of that changes has to come, please let it be the individual cooldown.

The issue is that it applies to nearly all magicka heals so you can't heal yourself properly. Magicka struggles vs stamina as is and being unable to heal would make most magicka toons useless even in groups.

This dude tested most classes and skill lines on the pts and it doesn't look too bad.
    A lot of skills that have aoe elements aren't effected.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/539584/i-tested-many-abilities-on-the-pts-to-see-what-they-restricted-here-are-my-results/p1

You seem to have a very chill interpretation of "doesn't look too bad".

On a DK or NB you might be right but other classes are *** over by this big time.

Options
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »
    When I first read about the tests in a different thread I thought maybe they just overlooked how this would absolutely ruin templar’s spammable, but not, it’s specifically mentioned. Flabbergasted to say the least. Sorry PC templars, my condolences 😕

Elder
    Well, I played a bit around on the PTS now there they have 3 seconds individual cooldown on the same AoE Skill, and I have to say it is not as bad as thought.

My Stamsorc still works fine since it only has Hurricane and Quick Cloak as AoE and buffs.

My pretty new AoE DoT based Necromancer actually worked pretty well too, I would only change Reverse Slice to Executioner to get one source of constant spammable damage, because using Reverse Slice would cripple the DPS to the ground, only being able to execute every 3 seconds is pretty useless. Stampede is really strong with Maelstrom 2h and doesn't really need to be spammed anyway, Caltrops stay on ground, so 3 seconds doesn't matter there either, same for Deadly Cloak once applied it stays I don't need to recast it. Overall I could just rotate around that 3 seconds, it actually helped my sustain a little, because I couldn't recast some skills directly after use, if it lagged or something and didn't need to pay double.

Stamplar and Magplar are a bit worse of there, Jabs are a wasted slot with that, but you can still rotate around other skills pretty well, Healspam won't work anymore of course, which can be a good thing but a bad thing as well, depending if you are solo or in group. Solo thats pretty bad, in a small organized group you can get covered by your members (Which btw. will lead to the fact that Ballgroups are still as overperforming as before, if one can't heal right now, 10 others do it instead, same for their AoE damage, if one can't cast 10 others do it).

So overall a 3 second individual cooldown could actually be a pretty nice change, and would bring a new awareness about your precise rotation instead of just spamming one skill to win.
    A Global Cooldown on the other hand would be destructive to combat and ruin the PvP, so if any of that changes has to come, please let it be the individual cooldown.

The issue is that it applies to nearly all magicka heals so you can't heal yourself properly. Magicka struggles vs stamina as is and being unable to heal would make most magicka toons useless even in groups.

This dude tested most classes and skill lines on the pts and it doesn't look too bad.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/539584/i-tested-many-abilities-on-the-pts-to-see-what-they-restricted-here-are-my-results/p1

As long as Jabs is ruined, a class is ruined. ZOS put all the classes power into jabs and nerfed seemingly every other skill Templar had.

Nerfing a class into the ground is not a solution.

Elder Scrolls Online since Alpha gameplay has had seemingly quick, flexible, fast paced combat. Now....We're going toward the WoW route, we might as well just do a wow clone now.
    Edited by Casterial on July 30, 2020 4:56PM
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
    Options
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    When I first read about the tests in a different thread I thought maybe they just overlooked how this would absolutely ruin templar’s spammable, but not, it’s specifically mentioned. Flabbergasted to say the least. Sorry PC templars, my condolences 😕

Elder

As long as Jabs is ruined, a class is ruined. ZOS put all the classes power into jabs and nerfed seemingly every other skill Templar had.

Elder Scrolls Online since Alpha gameplay has had seemingly quick, flexible, fast paced combat. Now....We're going toward the WoW route, we might as well just do a wow clone now.
    Bad thing is, it's going the route of modern wow, so you cannot outplay with strategy, you can just lay down and die if you meet zero effort meta build.
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

On a DK or NB you might be right but other classes are *** over by this big time.

I just meant considering how many skills actually do a radius check it isn't as bad as I imagined it.

I agree classes like Templar's are basically deleted 😂
    Options
  • Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭

I just meant considering how many skills actually do a radius check it isn't as bad as I imagined it.

I agree classes like Templar's are basically deleted 😂

What about those that solo and say use rapid regen or living trellis, honor the dead, twilight heal, resistant flesh? The heals for mag are nearly all aoe so you add a cost increase for mag or a 3 second delay on heals - sounds fair...
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »

Elder

Well...

Homogenize all skill values - check
    Make classes equal but with different colors - check
    Remove formerly unique abilities/rotations - check
    Allow combat to get clunkier each patch for 3 years - check
    Allow game performance to deteriorate for 3 years - check
    Ruin combat with cooldowns as a bandaid fix - soon
    Rebalance classes around bandaid fixes - soon

It ain’t good lol. Legitimately the only thing that’s positive has been the addition of new content. The game performance and gameplay quality has suffered dramatically, especially for console.

Options
  • CloudRainstorm
    CloudRainstorm
    Soul Shriven
    This is like when your wife tells you to vacuum the house and you start vacuuming the walls and ceiling...

Zos. Very soon ashes of creation will be out and everyone's patience for this nonsense will fall off a cliff.

You know what we want, it's not the animations, it's not the AOEs. It's the 24 man groups and your servers.

Make the changes.

Spend the money.

We are tired if this.
    Edited by CloudRainstorm on July 31, 2020 1:41AM
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are saying, that no-CP Cyrodiil has no lag at all, because champion points are the culprit, as they allow players to spam abilities?

Just admit it: Your servers need a hardware update. No-CP lags just the same and a player does not require knowledge or CP to spam 1 button over and over. This is impertinent.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fax ^^^^
    Options
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please do not run this tests in Imperial City.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
    Options
  • NeroTheDk
    NeroTheDk
    Soul Shriven
    This is going to be a rather unpopular and controversial opinion but I think we should give these changes a shot. I have been playing ESO for about 5 years. Both on Console and PC (PC mostly for the PTS and to test builds) in content such as PVP and PVE, Cyrodiil and Trails.

Just like over times a set, skill or even a whole class has been changed to better fit the game whether it is for balance or for server calculation. We have adampted and changed the we we play that build, class or skill. If these changes go in effect, I do believe the elite, trained ESO player will be able to live with it. I am sure like abandoning a set because of nerfs and changes we can pick up a new set, in this case it will be knowledge. A new brand of skill we can obtain because of the changes implemented.

I understand this is a foundational change and it will "slow down." combat. But I disagree with the notion that it will make it less Dynamic or intuitive. Dynamic is characterized by change and progress or of its effect, also intuitive is instinctual bough on by repetitive action. Both of these things change depending on environment, and it will continue to change for as long as this game exist.

I do believe the ESO player base is capable of adapting and coming out on top. However this is just my opinion through study and playing this game for the last 5 years. I don't believe this change will break or destroy anything concerning the game, just change it in a way we all are not used to.

However I don't code (anymore) and I can't assume anything concerning ZOS way of handling or coding there game or servers. This is just a small opinion of some nobody gamer that enjoys Bethesda's Content.
    Options
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how they blame aoe skills and don’t admit the fact that it’s the servers. We have always had aoe skills in pvp. We have always had zergs and ball groups. We used to have more players in cyrodill and more campaigns and performance was fine a couple years ago. But they insist it’s skills are the problem and it’s the players fault. I call bs. Don’t change your combat, fix your servers. Oh and if any of these changes go through I can’t image how bad they will mess it up every aoe skill.
    Edited by blkjag on July 30, 2020 11:33PM
    Options
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blkjag wrote: »
    I like how they blame aoe skills and don’t admit the fact that it’s the servers. We have always had aoe skills in pvp. We have always had zergs and ball groups. We used to have more players in cyrodill and more campaigns and performance was fine a couple years ago. But they insist it’s skills are the problem and it’s the players fault. I call bs. Don’t change your combat, fix your servers. Oh and if any of these changes go through I can’t image how bad they will mess it up every aoe skill.

"At launch, Cyrodiil’s processes were able to keep up with the number of AOEs cast, because most players couldn’t cast that many of them: they ran out of Magicka or Stamina, so they had to use AOEs judiciously. Over time, as player knowledge grew and regen builds grew in power, more players could cast more and more AOEs before running out of resources."

Someone didn't read, and obviously not an IT expert.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeroTheDk wrote: »
    This is going to be a rather unpopular and controversial opinion but I think we should give these changes a shot. I have been playing ESO for about 5 years. Both on Console and PC (PC mostly for the PTS and to test builds) in content such as PVP and PVE, Cyrodiil and Trails.

I am still standing by the "test may not reflect final decision" concept. These are not "changes", yet. However, I am reasonably sure that Lambert has already decided. What he has decided is unclear, but I sense that he already knows where he is going to be going with this.

As for these "changes", namely, the long cooldown, I am undecided. The forum has proven to be a poor predictor of what is good for the game, so the fact that something is liked, or disliked, is hardly definitive. Sometimes, it is a good idea to go against the forum, as that stands a very good chance of being the right answer.

Edited by Elsonso on July 31, 2020 12:15AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess the way they explain it, it makes sense. I just hope these changes are applied only to pvp though because pve doesn't have such issues.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
    Options
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won ZOS. I'd rather take lag than this.
    Options
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭

"At launch, Cyrodiil’s processes were able to keep up with the number of AOEs cast, because most players couldn’t cast that many of them: they ran out of Magicka or Stamina, so they had to use AOEs judiciously. Over time, as player knowledge grew and regen builds grew in power, more players could cast more and more AOEs before running out of resources."

There used to be tons more people in Cyrodiil spamming aoes.

Cyrodiil in just the past year has gotten so unplayable. Cp has increased in like 2 years.

I’m with the guy who thinks it’s a coding/server issue.

But fixing the above would be so expensive so here we are going with the budget friendly bandaid fix instead of a real fix.
    Options
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    Well I guess the way they explain it, it makes sense. I just hope these changes are applied only to pvp though because pve doesn't have such issues.

This is false. Get into a very good trial guild and you see same issues.
    Options
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There used to be tons more people in Cyrodiil spamming aoes.

Cyrodiil in just the past year has gotten so unplayable. Cp has increased in like 2 years.

I’m with the guy who thinks it’s a coding/server issue.

But fixing the above would be so expensive so here we are going with the budget friendly bandaid fix instead of a real fix.

bold- No, there wasn't.
    But like he said, there are way more people at CP cap than there were 2 years ago.
    There has been a huge increase in players over the past 2 years, not to mention the last 6 months there's even more people on. Lag started getting real bad when CP was introduced anyway, pretty sure that quote is referring to soon after that, that more regen builds were popping up=more skill usage.
    It hasn't even been tested yet, and you refer it as a bandaid fix, obviously you are one of them ball group aoe spammers trying to defend this mindless playstyle. I seriously hope they put cooldowns in, would really like to see population go down to relieve even more lag.
    Options
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    It you actually think there are more people in Cyrodiil now than in the past then it’s not even worth arguing.

These “performance improvements” actually made it worse too.
    Edited by ItsJustHashtag on July 31, 2020 3:56AM
    Options
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ball groups you mean those groups with aoe circles around them who run around you like flies till you die?
    Options
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never claimed to be an IT expert, just sounds like a lame excuse to make a lazy fix.
    Edited by blkjag on July 31, 2020 4:44AM
    Options
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do have to say @ZOS_RichLambert is taking a major step with this one. I can't complain I came up with the same idea for testing back in May, but they should use it sparingly, their pretty much taking the game back to beta. Maybe Cyrodiil needs to be. It was smart to make the changes Cyrodiil exclusive.

Thing is though, you guys jumped immediately to nerfs. I think you guys are addicted... RIP Crystal Frag stun (2017). There's a long line of abilities and play styles slain off and gone over the ages. I would joke and say this merely another nerf cycle with an excuse, but I don't believe that's the intent. I think @ZOS_BrianWheeler as a pvp guy tried to pinpoint and do anything in his limited power to fix the problem. He's one of the few that cares about pvp. This means the Nerfs and Buffs guy almost got volunteerly selected to do the job of the server engineers. Why he let em pass the buck, I don't know. Now the guy who takes the flack for balance changes, also takes it for game performance? Makes little sense to me. Sounds like a scapegoat.

Say the tests majestically don't work or by popular dis-contempt you wish to try something else. Check out How to Fix the lag by partitioning the Cyrodiil server. A simple concept worth a look.
    Edited by Pinja on July 31, 2020 5:07AM
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions:
    Options
  • Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    My concern is that their "tests" may last years as they're still testing solo que in bgs with no news on duo or group que. This makes me wonder if these tests will just be year long tests and effectively become the norm...
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
    Options
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have you like... completely, utterly lost your mind? I thought April Fools was in friggin April?

Did you not notice the servers were performing really frigging fine during Midyear Mayhem, even though everyone and their mother was in there? Will there be a live test where we just get some more server hamsters and potatoes and we get to keep our gameplay as intended?

I know performance issues can give a real headache. When I'm not saving Nirn, I'm trying to make sure an application with an average of 1000 online users stays up and running. I know it's nothing compared to ESO, but I do know fixing performance issues is not about limiting core features and pissing users off. Sometimes you just have to admit you need to give that thing some more server juice to keep it running the way your users want it. And yes, you need resources for that. Sometimes it just works like that. Changing your whole idea of what combat should look like should not even make it out of the brainstorm session where some idiot shouts this and everyone laughs about it. Remember what Cyro is about? Big groups fighting big groups. Do you want me to single target a zerg to death?!

Optimizing code? Big yes.
    Looking for chances to make it run smoother? Ofc.
    Limiting AOE, a feature your users enjoy and for some classes need? What the actual ef, ZOS.

I'm actually willing to put a please in here. Please. do. not. make. any. of. this. permanent.
    Options
  • MirkoZ
    MirkoZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cost ramping probably will be chosen to be the real fix , so pls let them test, it will not ruin nothing.
    With the cost ramping u can still spam the AOE but ofc not for 2 hours
    Edited by MirkoZ on July 31, 2020 7:39AM
    Options
  • MirkoZ
    MirkoZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax: we put 3 sec cd on AOE skills.
    Templars main: oh aw! That should fix the lag... Wait, jabs is AOE? OH *** PLS ZENIMAX NO , DON'T PUT THE CD ON AOE PLS OTHERWISE I CAN'T SPAM MY OP SPAMMABLE , PLS ZENIMAX I WILL DONATE U MY HOUSE
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MirkoZ wrote: »
    The cost ramping probably will be chosen to be the real fix , so pls let them test, it will not ruin nothing.
    With the cost ramping u can still spam the AOE but ofc not for 2 hours

The entire templar healing toolkit has AoE elements to it, how do you expect a solo magplar (or even in a smaller group of 2-4 people) in PvP (especially nocp) to survive when your main selfheal (breath of life) is un-sustainable after 2-3 casts?

All 4 suggested changes are awful and could/will kill so many classes and playatyles in PvP if implemented. The idea if ZOS even considering anything remotely close to this is sad....
    Edited by Qbiken on July 31, 2020 8:21AM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.