The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What Class is Missing from ESO

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the original classes in Morrowind and subtracting what is already possible within the game, we are missing:
    • the Monk (due to lack of efficient unarmed combat)
    • the Spellblade (kind of) (due to lack of sword+spell as a weapon option)
    • the Battlemage (kind of) (because stam sorcs could fulfill that fantasy better than they currently do)
    • the Bard (because they are defined by speechcraft and we don't have anything, not even passives skills, representing the diplomatic approach)
    • the Witchhunter (because hybrid builds are not viable in ESO, so bows and spells don't mix well)

Outside of that list we are missing a better representation of the Illusion and Alteration schools.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard, its about time. It's been requested since beta.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    A hunter/pet class.

A real pet class. A class where the skill points actually go to benefiting the pet.

Not a class that is advertised with the main selling point being a pet and then getting a 30% damage reduction on top of other nerfs because SOME people want to be an ice mage and “didn’t want to feel like they had to use it”.
    We reduced the damage of bear so we could buff the base damage of Wardens; the overall DPS should be within 1-2% of what it was before due to the buff of Advanced Species. This means anyone who doesn't use the bear will see less of a DPS loss.

My alt in WoW was a hunter. I loved training rare beasts in the wild or raid bosses. Different types of pets had different abilities. I though my dram class of playing a healer with a pet had come to me at last with the Warden. Nope.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard!

I thought Bard was covered under Nightblades or Warden. How do you see them differently?

Bards are a form of support class, specifically using music or arts to offer buffs or general support including healing to the group, they would wield an instrument instead of a staff.
    [...]

You are thinking of Bards from other games. Bards in the elder scrolls carry just a sword and sometimes a shield too for personal defense as they travel the land. They have instruments, but they don't use them in battle unless they are the drummer in a military unit and blow into the (war)horn for signals. Musical magic does not exist in the Elder Scrolls.

In the Elder Scrolls, being a Bard is when the DK/Sorc/NB/Templar/Warden/Necro pulls out their lute in an inn after a day of adventuring and earn some extra coin. Unless they are designed as a pacifist class, stam-based support that only uses instruments for signal functions or marching in a rhythm, they don't have a place as a class in ESO. A guild skill/passive line would be a possibility though...
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Bard!

I thought Bard was covered under Nightblades or Warden. How do you see them differently?

Bards are a form of support class, specifically using music or arts to offer buffs or general support including healing to the group, they would wield an instrument instead of a staff.
    [...]

You are thinking of Bards from other games. Bards in the elder scrolls carry just a sword and sometimes a shield too for personal defense as they travel the land. They have instruments, but they don't use them in battle unless they are the drummer in a military unit and blow into the (war)horn for signals. Musical magic does not exist in the Elder Scrolls.

In the Elder Scrolls, being a Bard is when the DK/Sorc/NB/Templar/Warden/Necro pulls out their lute in an inn after a day of adventuring and earn some extra coin. Unless they are designed as a pacifist class, stam-based support that only uses instruments for signal functions or marching in a rhythm, they don't have a place as a class in ESO. A guild skill/passive line would be a possibility though...

So much of ESO has nothing to do with TES. May as well just uninstall ESO with that attitude lol
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard!

Nightblades are more into the stealth and assassination were as Wardens are more into Nature magic, animal summons and for some reason in this game, frost magic.
    A Bard would be a wonder-full addition to the game. Also, lets not forget there is a Bards college in Solitude in Skyrim.

My favorite bard I played was in DAoC. No songs, all shout DD's and AoEs. And was a base rogue class with weapons and stealth.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »
    Nightblade is definitely missing from the game. What we have now i dont know what it is. Most of what goes on in this game lately is lore breaking. The antiquities system is just some bizarre thing that is more about incorporating a mobile game into than it is about fitting in to eso lore. Lore means nothing anymore.

i agree absolutely.

i wish we could have a class that can cast invisibility just like nightblades can, and Very stealthy and FAST sneaking abilities, and the best sneak abilities and very stamina based with Great damage and defenses as well that is a true rogue class.
    at current and ever since beta, the nightblade is the closest thing possible to it, but i just want better and i know the devs can do better.

Zenimax devs,
    please make a true rogue class that can cast invisibility just like nightblades can, and be the Best stealth rogue class in eso, and also use bow and daggers with high damage and defenses, including Very Stealthy FAST sneaking abilities, and stamina based.
    please do this.
    Edited by Gilvoth on April 4, 2020 2:31AM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    Bard!

[...]

So much of ESO has nothing to do with TES. May as well just uninstall ESO with that attitude lol

Like? Granted, Bosmer not being stealthy, Imperials being tougher than Orcs, the upcoming vampire feeding reversal and maybe the circumstances of the formation of the Ebonheart Pact. But the first three on the list are just weird balance decisions that have been done right at some point and can be done right again and the Pact thing is easily remedied through better headcanon than the explanation we got.
    I suggest instead of telling people to "uninstall with that attitude" how about you install a different game to play your bard class in. I heard asian MMOs are very fond of their magical music instruments :smile: .
  • sirston
    sirston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    working PVP servers! a mage with a hat.
    Whitestakes Revenge
    WoodElf Mag-Warden
    Sirston
    Magickia Dragonknight

T0XIC
    Pride Of The Pact
    Vehemence
    The Crimson Order

victoria aut mors
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None. Do not encourage them to add more overpowered pay to win classes. Adding new classes was a folly to begin with, since they never managed to balance the 4 classes. Adding more and more just made it worse.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thematically looking at other elder scrolls game's classes what theme is a bit missing is a type of agent/acrobat/swashbuckler light hearted scoundrel...something that could be filled by the bard

yes we have the nightblade but its more of a darker assassin type theme not really someone that solves problems through a combination of speech, tricks, charm etc....

Thanks for being more descriptive. Helps me visualize what your talking about. That seems more weapon based, unless there's class skills that would make them Worthly opponents. I'm trying to think of something they would be able to do in combat.

swashbuckler, trickster, acrobat, agent, bard, scout - those i would put in that category

think of characters like Han Solo, Indiana Jones, D'Artagnan, Jack Sparrow, Robin Hood, Nathan Drake, Starlord etc.

the type of chaotic good, good hearted scoundrel with wit and charm that would be played in movies by Chris Pratt, Harrison Ford, Brandon Frasier or Nathan Fillion

Edited by Nemesis7884 on April 4, 2020 3:32AM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. This thread just reminds me that I never actually used any of the pre-defined 'classes' in MW or Oblivion.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Battle Mage. Stamina based Spells, more magical than a Stam Sorc.

"Stamina" based spells?

You know stamina is meant to represent the effort to swing a sword or run around right?

Battle Mages use bladed weapons alongside Spells. Its just my stupid way of saying make stam weapons work with magic.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. This thread just reminds me that I never actually used any of the pre-defined 'classes' in MW or Oblivion.

sure but you certainly had a "theme" or "character type" in your had for your character and the classes in the end are nothing else but template ideas for themes
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None! New classes are the absolute last thing that should be on the agenda for years. Maybe a Witchhunter or Battlemage or whatever would be cool in a few years, but there are dozens of other high-demand skill lines that existing characters would benefit from that provide more value across the board for all players. They need to be putting out fires, not making new ones.
  • Rezdayn
    Rezdayn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since anyone can do things that a nightblade does (soon) without being a nightblade I would say nightblades.

• Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭
    a real necromancer
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a real necromancer

honestly i think if they took the persistent pet from the warden and gave it to the necro and took the transformation from the necro and gave it to the warden (turn into a were-bear) it would thematically make a lot more sense and be pretty decent

warden tanking option - trun into a werebear similar to druids in many games that works basically the same as the necro ult

necro gets consistant unead pet that can be either morphed into a draugr death lord (melee dd tank) or a lich (ranged dd healer)
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Water magic
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BattleBunBuns \../
    Edited by xXMeowMeowXx on April 4, 2020 7:12AM
  • ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engineer that harness the dwemer tech.
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #BringNightbladesBack
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Bard (because they are defined by speechcraft and we don't have anything, not even passives skills, representing the diplomatic approach)

Yes we do; Persuasive Will and Intimidating Presence.
    Edited by JamuThatsWho on April 4, 2020 9:53AM
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    Battle Mage
  • ScardyFox
    ScardyFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would LOVE Monk to be in if they didn't lazy out on it and something with a proper pet class. Though I would imagine I would be in my grave before they ever balanced that. Hell, if we're making an imaginary wishlist I also wish they would add werebears.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bard!

Nightblades are more into the stealth and assassination were as Wardens are more into Nature magic, animal summons and for some reason in this game, frost magic.
    A Bard would be a wonder-full addition to the game. Also, lets not forget there is a Bards college in Solitude in Skyrim.

Music magic has never been a thing in Elder Scrolls. You are thinking of Dungeons & Dragons.

Bards in Elder Scrolls have always been defined as just people who can play an instrument or sing well, or create great poetry.

Where instruments do produce magical effects, it is because of an enchantment, not because music is magic. On Nirn, music is just a sound.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monk and bard. Fist could get a skill line!
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard!

Music magic has never been a thing in Elder Scrolls. You are thinking of Dungeons & Dragons.

Bards in Elder Scrolls have always been defined as just people who can play an instrument or sing well, or create great poetry.

Where instruments do produce magical effects, it is because of an enchantment, not because music is magic. On Nirn, music is just a sound.

why do people always say that...you simply dont know elder scrolls lore well and might want to read up on tonal magic

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Tonal_Architecture
    Edited by Nemesis7884 on April 4, 2020 11:42AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    Battle mage and monks.
    Battlemages in the elder scrolls settings would be either heavy armored destruction casters (doable in ESO), or hybrid sorcerors that can also use weapons (doable but... ineffective in ESO). So battlemages... would more like need a return of attribute softcaps to make hybrid builds viable again rather then any class shennannigans...

...and "monks" in the elder scrolls universe are not exactly a class, since ESO does not have class-specific weapon restrictions - and thus could be made from any class - IF there was some "punch 'em" weapon skill line. And since normal punchings would be somewhat ineffective against armored opponents... the most sense for that would be a "magic martial arts" type skill line, for melee magica combat (punchings that unleash elemental fury!)
    So that's what "monks" would need to be a thing in ESO- a weapon skill line, NOT a class.
    Bard!
    ...would make a lot more sense as skill line, really. Much like psijic.
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Battle Mage. Stamina based Spells, more magical than a Stam Sorc.
    Yeah, riiiiight. Stamina based spells. Another for that foolishness...
    Spells are -magica- based, always. Because they are powered by arcane energies, aka "magica"...

Stamina is -musclepower-, and you don't muscle fireballs into existance by flexing your biceps, or generate bolts of lightning by clenching your buttocks extra hard...

Now, there -are- some abilities that from their concept are sort of "half-half"... like, use arcane energy to magic up an aedric spear, then use musclepower to poke it at your opponent... and for ease of reference, those have been depicted starting out as magica and then getting a stamina morph to represent people specializing in the jmusclkepower part, while the other morph represents specializing in the magica path.

So, if you want a "magical" character that burns a fireworks of spells, you make them a magica character.
    And if you want a "physical" character that uses weapons and muscle to overcome their enemies, you make them a stamina character.
    And if you want one that can do both... you pay for that with vastly reduced effectiveness (but it can still be fun to play, as then a great many fights will take a lot longer... but its really more something for the experts who want a "hardmode playthrough"...)
    thematically looking at other elder scrolls game's classes what theme is a bit missing is a type of agent/acrobat/swashbuckler light hearted scoundrel...
    Actually... that one is quite doable for a lot of classes.
    And the concept as -class- really would not fit into the ESO game setup, where each class can be played in several different ways... a templar can be a "paladin" tank or a "priest" healer, or a "holy mage" DPS or several other combinations... a nightblade can be a dour assassin or a blood mage, or a saptank knight, or several other combinations... a warden can be a druid-ish spellcaster or a barbarian-ish warrior, or a "green knight" tank or several other combinations... etc.

Now, if we were to talk about some -skill lines- that would support a scoundrel build... like, say, some "acrobatics" world skill line much like legerdemain, or some new guild options like Psijic... and yes, that is exactly where they could fit in bard-tastic "musical support magic" if they so choose!
    Barbarian
    =stamina warden. Next?
    JBNimble wrote: »
    Something without magic baseline maybe?
    Doesn't work with how ESO is set up.

Classes HAVE to be magica baseline... and then can be built into either magica characters firing off many class skills, or stamina characters, neglecting most class skills and picking up weapon skills instead. (otherwise, you couldn't make a proper magica character off a class, and that will always have to be a option)
    That's how its supposed to go, in the beginning there were NO stamina morphs at all... but... the powers that be relented a little and gave the warriors some more options as well.
    But the fact remains, that "warriors" should be forced to go to weapon skills, because that is what musclepower does for their damage, and "mage" characters also get a wide range of magical class skills...
    Outside of that list we are missing a better representation of the Illusion and Alteration schools.
    Actually we don't, since ESO is set in an age BEFORE the schools of magic were established.
    ...tho we could use more spells for fun and options!
    None! New classes are the absolute last thing that should be on the agenda for years.
    Agreed!
    New classes are evil! EVIL I say!
    Sure, some people who have not done many characters yet might enjoy them... but the ones who have been playing for four years and more, who already have several alts, and face the two great vexations that come with new classes due to the fact that unlike pretty much everything else, classes -cannot- be refitted to existing characters... yes, I am once again talking about the vexation at having to play through all the too-familiar content for the dozenth time or more to enjoy the new class because we already made all those characters back in the time before new classes; and even moreso the aggrivation of seeing a new class released and thinking "Why the [censored] was that [censored] class not [censored] available back at [censored] launch, it [censored] would have made so [censored] much more [censored] sense for that [censored] main character backstory of mine! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]!"
    Music magic has never been a thing in Elder Scrolls.
    Except for when it is.
    Like a certain quest in greenshade, where you follow a spellsong to rescue a bosmer wife that doesn't really need rescuing.
    Or all those dwemer tonal shennanigans you encounter and oftentimes have to mess with to set things right.
    Or the darn "War Horn" you can use for a magical buff effect if you PvP enough!

Anyhow, my notions on what is missing in the classiness of ESO and how to refit it should be known by now - no new classes, but instead... new skill lines! No matter if as new weapon options (monks go there), new guild options (bards go there) or some way to "morph our class" into an "advanced class" for a lot of other flavors to play with...
    But... been there, posted that, all ot it:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/492733/class-specialization-idea/p1
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/387560/additional-guild-ideas-mk-ii
    ;)
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a Artificer class that uses gadgets to fight, that would be a lot of fun.