The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

What Class is Missing from ESO

• Aendruu
    Aendruu
    ✭✭✭
    Do you feel that there is another class that better fits your initial interest, knowing what you know now?
    @VocalThought I've tried both the Templar and Warden, but no... I'm still using the Sorcerer.
    "So, drinking is a sacrament to Y'ffre... because it's his way of reminding us not to take things too seriously... You know how the other Elves are. Altmer have their crystal towers, and that's how they want to be — cold and perfect. And Dunmer are just like their Red Mountain — smouldering and dark. We just want to have a drink and not worry about it."
    - Regring the Spinner
    Options
  • VocalThought
    VocalThought
    ✭✭✭
    Rhypon wrote: »
    Do you feel that there is another class that better fits your initial interest, knowing what you know now?
    @VocalThought I've tried both the Templar and Warden, but no... I'm still using the Sorcerer.

What kept you with Sorcerer, the passives?
    Options
  • Ghostextechnica
    I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but lorewise from all the Elder Scrolls games the following 'classes' are canon:
    • Acrobat
    • Agent
    • Archer
    • Assassin
    • Barbarian
    • Bard
    • Battlemage
    • Burglar
    • Crusader
    • Dragonknight
    • Healer
    • Knight
    • Mage
    • Monk
    • Nightblade
    • Pilgrim
    • Ranger
    • Rogue
    • Scout
    • Sorcerer
    • Spellsword
    • Templar
    • Thief
    • Warden
    • Warrior
    • Witchhunter
    Edited by Ghostextechnica on April 19, 2020 9:58PM
    Options
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Artificer would be great. We have a class with Daedric pets, a class with animal pets, a class with undead pets, so what is missing is a class with animunculi pets. :-) (That, and, maybe, a class with Faerie pets? )
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
    Options
  • VocalThought
    VocalThought
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but lorewise from all the Elder Scrolls games the following 'classes' are canon:
    [/list]

Difference is, past classes in TES were defined based on what skill combinations that you used or simply had experience, include magic, weapons, armor, and world skills, while being able to be classless or creating a class of your own. ESO classes are defined by have a specific set of class abilities, excluding weapon, armor, and world skills, while you can use any weapon or armor you want, your still part of a particular class.

Most of the past TES classes could still be created in ESO, since many of the classes were simply a combination of weapon and armor. Mixing in the Guild Skills would really fulfill your chances of making past TES classes. The only thing the ESO has done with classes is show how each class would use the different schools of magic differently, or having particular thematics. Don't get me wrong, there are still skills missing, but at the same time the streamline things nicely as well.
    Options
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    we dont have assassins type class that has good single target potential, i wish that clown class can do the job
    Options
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some kind of shaman/bard dealing mostly with buffs/debuffs could be something. One ultimate could be "Black Metal Drums of 1993", another "Tormenting Solo Strings of Yngwie Malmsteen" for example.
    Options
  • VocalThought
    VocalThought
    ✭✭✭
    • Acrobat
    • Agent
    • Archer
    • Assassin
    • Barbarian
    • Bard
    • Battlemage
    • Burglar
    • Crusader
    • Dragonknight
    • Healer
    • Knight
    • Mage
    • Monk
    • Nightblade
    • Pilgrim
    • Ranger
    • Rogue
    • Scout
    • Sorcerer
    • Spellsword
    • Templar
    • Thief
    • Warden
    • Warrior
    • Witchhunter

After looking at this list again and seeing the past TES games, I have to give it up to Zenimax for making ESO. They did a great job with making the all the classes, despite how much people complain about them. They actually added abilities to the game that players didn't have access to, streamlined a lot of things nicely that weren't really needed in past games, and kept a great feel for the game. In actuality, based on the old class system, you there's more things you can do in this game compared to what most suggest.

For example, the TES Oblivion Class, Acrobat would suggest that you had to have Acrobatics, Security, Sneak, Marksman, Block, Blade, and Speechcraft. Technically you could create the same class in ESO by selecting Legerdemain, Bow, One-Handed and Shield, Dual Wield, Medium Armor, and maybe Fighters Guild for the Speechcraft skill, and maybe a crafting skill to even things up.

Clearly, it wouldn't matter what class you were to pick, since you wouldn't need any class skills to recreate the Acrobat in ESO, and it would clearly be more of a stamina build. So comparing TES classes with ESO, we were actually more limited in TES when playing a class, unless you created your own.

When looking at skills from the past games, we can easily translate most of the skills, like TES's "Block" would be ESO's "One handed and Shield", or Marksman would be Bow. Other skills might have to be interpreted based on the theme of the class, where it may be one thing for one class and something else for another.

As far as Magic goes, we can see that they stuck with Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration, Destruction, and Illusions. Mysticism spells have been shuffled into other spell types in the previous games, where Soul Magic seem all to be left of it. With the inclusion of Mage Guild and Psijic, there seems to be a way to reincorporate this school of magic.

So if we dissect the current classes in ESO we could say that each class may have a little bit of each school of magic, but may primarily focus on 2 maybe 3 schools.
    Dragonknight: Destruction and Alteration
    Sorcerer: Conjuration and Destruction
    Templar: Restoration and Conjuration
    Nightblade: Illusion and Alteration
    Warden: Conjuration, Restoration, Destruction
    Necromancer: Conjuration, Alteration, Restoration
    With these skills identified in each class it's easy to see what current classes and skills would fill the role of the past classes listed by looking at what skills in Oblivion, Morrowind, or previous titles

TES Classes (ESO Class)
    Skills: (ESO Skills)
    1) Acrobat (Any Class)
    Acrobatics (-missing-)
    Security (Legerdemain)
    Sneak (Medium Armor)
    Marksman (Bow)
    Block (One handed and Shield)
    Blade (Dual Weld)
    Speechcraft (Fighter's Guild)

2) Agent (Nightblade)
    Alchemy (Alchemy)
    Alteration (Siphon)
    Conjuration (Assassination)
    Illusion (Shadow/Psijic Order)
    Mysticism (Soul Magic)
    Mercantile (Thieves Guild)
    Speechcraft (Fighters Guild)

3) Archer (Any Class)
    Armorer (Clothier)
    Blade (Dual Wield)
    Blunt (Dual Wield)
    Hand-to-Hand (-missing-)
    Light Armor (Medium Armor)
    Marksman (Bow)
    Sneak (Medium Armor)

4) Assassin (Any Class w/Dark Brotherhood)
    Security (Legerdemain)
    Sneak (Medium Armor)
    Acrobatics (-missing-)
    Marksman (Bow)
    Alchemy (Alchemy)
    Blade (Dual Wield)

5) Barbarian (Any Class)
    Armorer (Clothier)
    Athletics (Medium Armor)
    Blade (Dual Wield)
    Block (One-Handed and Shield)
    Blunt (Two-Handed)
    Hand-to-Hand (-missing-)

6) Bard (Nightblade/Warden)
    Blade (Dual Wield)
    Block (One-Handed and Shield)
    Illusion (Shadow/Animal Companions/Psijic Order)
    Alchemy (Alchemy)
    Mercantile (Thieves Guild)
    Speechcraft (Mages Guild)

7) Battlemage (DragonKnight/Sorcerer)
    Alchemy (Alchemy)
    Alteration (Dragon Powers/Dark Magic)
    Blade (Dual Wield)
    Blunt (Two-Handed)
    Conjuration (Earthen Heart/Dedric Summoning)
    Destruction (Ardent Flames/Storm Calling)
    Mysticism (Soul Magic/Psijic Order)

I'm sure you all get the gist. Clearly there a way to make previous classes in this game. I'll do the rest tomorrow.

I think when it comes to new classes, it seems to me, more important to think of themes missing, than to think of the previous classes not being listed since based on the past class description, we clearly have more capabilities.
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bard would be nice, and for once make it not about regular at all. Battle of the bands, maybe though.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/519131/bards-as-an-alternative-to-theives-pickpocketing
    Options
  • godagarah5000
    godagarah5000
    ✭✭✭
    id still like to see a blood mage class i suppose
    Options
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @godagarah5000 you've probably heard it before, but I've always thought of Magblade as the "Blood Mage" class. Well, blood magic and shadow magic.

As for other classes, as someone above mentioned, the older games have a wealth of classes to pick from. Even bard.

Personally, I'd like more skill lines at this point.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
    Options
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alteration magic
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Artificer would be great. We have a class with Daedric pets, a class with animal pets, a class with undead pets, so what is missing is a class with animunculi pets. :-) (That, and, maybe, a class with Faerie pets? )
    Once again, the "artificer" archetype is way too rare to be player class viable. Not to mention, even the best dwemer scholars find it a huge achievement to even get a -little- control over dwemer stuff before it blows up in their faces (didn't you play those sidequests?), so it -really- is way too little understood for it to be lorewise workable.
    Keep the thought for a TES game set in the fifth or sixth era! ;)

And faeries are not exactly a thing in TES lore. Yes, there are some critters that serve the same "niche", but... not quite as in the more common lore people know. There is no "seelie court" nor helpful pixies, nor sidhe waiting underhill here... instead the people of tamriel have other ways. Most we already got, one way or another - as has been mentioned, daedric, undead and nature is represented, and that is still pretty much it, tho we -could- perhaps use a tiny little bit more on the "elemental" side of summonings... even tho the atronarchs are pretty much a daedric take on elemental spirits, and we do get a bit for them... still, it would make lots of sense for firery DK mages to get to call flame atronarchs too I guess. I mean, NPCs do it, right?
    evoniee wrote: »
    we dont have assassins type class that has good single target potential, i wish that clown class can do the job
    Nightblade. They even have a whole skill line called "assassination" - tho once again, I have to say I wish they would pick up something like my "class specialization" idea to let people -specialize- in some aspect of their classes!
    id still like to see a blood mage class i suppose
    Nightblade, magica build, focus on siphoning? Maybe vampire for good measuer... but... once again... specializations should be a thing! ;)
    Alteration magic
    Is not a class.
    Could be done tho, either as staff, or as standalone skill line like psijic, depending on what exactly you are thinking when you say "I want alteration magic in ESO"... ;)
    Options
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if thats class, but I would like to see lich.. Lich doesnt die easily so they could have something like old Phoenix set ( when you kill him he heals one time) and more focused on dark magic / alteration / enchanting
    Maybe telekinesis where you could pick player and throw him away?
    Paralysis should be cool too
    Edited by Anyron on April 22, 2020 10:06AM
    Options
  • RedReign
    RedReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    a balanced one
    Options
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see some sort of Illusionist class, fits in nicely with the lore Illusion and Alteration skill lines in previous games. Other than that, I think we're covered in class terms.
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyron wrote: »
    Not sure if thats class, but I would like to see lich...
    Yeah, that wouldn't be a class.
    It would be a world skill line just like "vampire" or "werewolf" - something like "undead", which in magica build would equal "lich" (and in stamina build, something like "death knight")

It could be a endurance focussed thing... like, no HP recovery whatsoever, and perhapy even a healing penalty for all "normal health recovery" effects... but also taking less damage from stuff. Like, immune to poison, disease and bleed because "undead", and resistant to cold and perhaps even critical hits and physical damage (because "undead" and thus not as reliant on all the flesh actually working) or possibly oblivion damage... (because "unlife energy" - could even be that all normal healing would be treated as poison, and oblivion damage actually restores HP...) but taking extra damage from fire and pure magic damage (as it disrupts your animating forces?), perhaps? With an passive that allows to stay alive at 0HP as long as you still have magica to pay the damage from instead...? And some other goodies in the way of "undead-ability" skills, like cursed touch or reanimate (aka, HP recovery that -does- work for undead), or whatever?
    It might have some severe social penalties tho, since "undead" cannot "pass for mortals" like vampires (barely) and werewolves, so... loads of "fun" with being a criminal act all the time...
    Still, I could see it happen sometime.
    ...and more focused on dark magic / alteration / enchanting
    Sorceror covers the dark magic.
    Enchanting is a crafting skill.
    Alteration is scattered a bit here and there, but... could use some more, but definitely not undead-specific, but "learnable by everyone", so either as weapon skill line, or as guild skill line (possibly as "mage guild mastery"?)
    Maybe telekinesis where you could pick player and throw him away?
    We have more then enough CCs of that kind, actually. Tho it could always be done... since we DO have the concept already. But once again, its not exactly something "undead-specific", so...
    Paralysis should be cool too
    Again, more then enough CCs of that kind. And again, no reason not to have some more if one were to need to flesh out some skill line somewhere... tho this is more something for -illusionists- in TES setting (at least in TES-III and TES-IV, I dimly recall it having shifted to "alteration" in Skyrim...)
    Options