Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What Class is Missing from ESO

• PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stormtroopers!
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Maulkin wrote: »

Templar
    • Paladin (stamina)
    • Healer/Priest (magicka Healer & DD)

Too much on the goody goody-two-shoes cliche. Not all Templars are good guys and not all good guys are Templars.

Templar; since it is detailed as a traveling knight...
    Crusader
    Viceroy
    Inquisitor
    Not really good or bad, but a narrow line between the two that can be tilted to the direction on how the player sees themselves.

As well, it is based more on the individual's personal connection to their character (weapons and gear used, abilities, cp placement, etc...) and how they see it within their own head-canon and official ES lore.

Not all priests are good guys pal, [Snip]
    [Edited for baiting]

Never stated that they were good, the description that was given, "Paladin Healer/Priest" is goody-two-shoes cliche. Aka generic, absurdly generic at that. More paladins, healers/priest are often depicted as good in works of fiction versus being bad/villainous, even though there are plenty of them who are bad, there are vastly more seen, written and created as good. If were going with reality comparisons based on your loose retort, the ones I offered would be more accurate in the fantasy era that the ES parodies.

Also... As well, it is based more on the individual's personal connection to their character (weapons and gear used, abilities, cp placement, etc...) and how they see it within their own head-canon and official ES lore.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on April 8, 2020 6:29PM
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather we get a new weapon type, so casters have something other than staves. 1h + rune please.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Mortiis13 wrote: »
    A class that is heavily focused on stamina skills with a few magicka morphs.
    A monk would fit it well. Or an barbarian. Even an samurai kind of would work.

Explain to me how a barbarian or monk would work while using a lightning destruction staff please.

Barbarian uses the destro staff for pole vaulting

Monks use the Destro staff to do the limbo

:#
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because nothing says Barbarian like a vine encrusted man throwing pterodactyls with magic ice coming out of his back and a flying squid shooting a green lazer at him
    You do realize you are -still- describing a magica warden, yes? Or how many stamina morphs did you find among the ice magic or vines...

But a axe-swinging man in crudely tanned leathers who on occason perhaps inhales some mushrooms or throws a beehive at their opponents, but any other time hits them with his axe, a lot... darn right I would call that a barbarian! :p;)
    As for the magically summoned bear and "Beastmaster", lol. Your idea of a barbarian is way off from mine.
    Hey, its a classic cult movie! Sure, it came out a few months after "Conan the Barbarian", but it was a apple from the same tree, so there is that...
    Yeah, I would perfer DragonKnight for a "Conan the Barbarian" image, Wardan for a "Tarzan" type, and Necromancer for Frank Frazetta's "Death Dealer" persona.
    Personally, I'd go with Nightblade for Conan... who is as much thief as warrior. Dragonknight... well, that I would consider to be more for the "orc barbarian" archetype with the "bad breath" poison attack...
    Definitely warden for Tarzan (as well as Dar, as mentioned); and stamina necromancer makes for a lot of "reaver" type characters across many stories...
    Truth be told, all you need is weapon skills in your loadout and maybe one or two class, alliance, or guild skills that you like.
    That's exactly my point!
    All those class skills... are for -magica- characters!
    Stamina characters go with their weapon skills first, plus some fighters guild skills, assault skills and maybe one or two stamina-morphed class skills on occasion for the things that big axes just cannot do.

And what is the "barbarian" way to heal up, hmm?
    Channel dragon blood? Use holy golden healing light spells? Blood-magic? Or... maybe... use some, uhm, "herbal remedies", aka plants?
    I'd say, plants! Thus my vote for stamina warden as "barbarian"...
    ...but hey, other people might have other opinions. Just saying, they already did the "nature boy" class, so...
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    There are no classes in other Elder Scrolls games.
    That is bullsh... uhm... bovine manure and you know it.
    The definition of what a class is, well, is pretty far ranging. The "classes" in those games are on one side of the definition, the ones in ESO way more at the other side... but that does not mean you can change the definitions and say there are no classes in those games.
    Thus... the correct way to say it would be... there ARE lots of classes in earlier TES games, but not in the way "classes" are used in ESO.
    While some of the single player games have something they call "classes", they aren't. They're just a series of small bonuses to starting skills.
    Every player no matter their class can achieve the same max skills and learn and use all the same spells.
    True, and for a single player game that was quite all right.
    ESO is made in different ways, for different goals... so, let's not compare apples and oranges overly much.

And yes, a LOT of the "classes" in older TES games are more like... "builds" in ESO.
    I_am_Groot wrote: »
    Stormtroopers!
    ...you mean, missing with EVERY ranged attack??? :p;):lol:
    I'd rather we get a new weapon type, so casters have something other than staves. 1h + rune please.
    Agreed!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1 ;)
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real Class
    source.gif
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the illusion spells that were present in TES games. They would fid bad in the pvp but hell I would love to use some tricks in pve. I can understand the nature of this game and there is a reason why so many spells are absent in this game.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I think people are not designing classes but rather archetypes.

A barbarian or Monk “class” needs to work even if the player is wearing heavy armor and say a bow or a fire staff. A class cannot be designed that only uses melee weapons or light armor. That is not how eso works.

Right now the barbarian, monk, battle mage, and bard suggestions feel like new skill lines rather then classes. The suggestions so far feel very “one note” (pun not intended),and not very fleshed out.
    Edited by BlueRaven on April 8, 2020 1:39PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game should never have had classes, just skill lines like other TES games.

If I want to make an ice mage, I shouldnt feel forced to use insect or animal skills.

If I want to play a pure warrior, I don't want to be called a nightblade or loldragonknight, or especially not a sorcerer!

Honestly, the system from previous games would have worked so well in ESO.. they basically used the previous system but lumped 3 skill trees together to make each class, some with very specific and inflexible skills like "aedric spears" or "dragon magic".
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because nothing says Barbarian like a vine encrusted man throwing pterodactyls with magic ice coming out of his back and a flying squid shooting a green lazer at him
    You do realize you are -still- describing a magica warden, yes? Or how many stamina morphs did you find among the ice magic or vines...

But a axe-swinging man in crudely tanned leathers who on occason perhaps inhales some mushrooms or throws a beehive at their opponents, but any other time hits them with his axe, a lot... darn right I would call that a barbarian! :p;)

Actually, the ice is a utility skill/buff that is absolutely necessary, the flying pterodactyls is also a stam skill, the flying squid with green lazer is a stam skill. So no, not describing a 'magic' warden. The mushroom flinger has a stam morph, as well as the lotus(yes, costs magic but gives Weapon crit). Don't know if you've pvpd or do vet dlcs, but forgoing your utility skills that look all magical and sparkly isn't really an option. Anyways, you can keep on with your quips, but it'll never make me see a warden as a "Barbarian". I just want utility/buffs without all the magic sparkly crap.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    So far I think people are not designing classes but rather archetypes.

A barbarian or Monk “class” needs to work even if the player is wearing heavy armor and say a bow or a fire staff. A class cannot be designed that only uses melee weapons or light armor. That is not how eso works.

Right now the barbarian, monk, battle mage, and bard suggestions feel like new skill lines rather then classes. The suggestions so far feel very “one note” (pun not intended),and not very fleshed out.

I'm not actually expecting a new barbarian 'class' to ever come to eso, but a skill line would be awesome!
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina sorcerer
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

After removing a few baiting and flaming posts, we must remind everyone that all post should be kept within the guidelines of the rules that we have in place. Having different opinions and debating is completely acceptable. However when doing so, keep it civil and constructive. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want utility/buffs without all the magic sparkly crap.
    Now that would be a valid wish... but not a "class" wish. Since classes are ALL about the "magic sparkly" stuff in varying flavor (dragon, blood, daedric, aedric, nature, death - so far, and hopefully forever).

What -you- want would not be a class, but a "warrior support" skill line, which totally could be a thing! Much like Psijic, they could add a new guild skill line someday that gives -just- this, buffs and support skills without the sparkly magic, themed on a "warrior martial arts" fluff - be it some yokudan warrior arts, or advanced fighter guild teachings, akaviri martial arts or barbarian traditions... whatever - it could fit into several fluff niches...
    ...alas, at this time all the people who like their warrior skills without the sparkly magic get to pick from are fighters guild and some of the PvP skills.

Just sayin, at this time, "warden" as the "nature" class IS the best base to make a "barbarian" from. Second best might be "nightblade" for the "blood-drenched berserker" archetype. Third could be sorceror, for the "thundercaller barbarian" (...yelling "by the power of greyskull"? :p ) Holy barbarians are not often a thing, but could be made from templar (tho that is more a valkyrie build methinks), and DK could go for the "barbarian marauder" shtick, while necro can do a "daeth cult barbarian".

And looking at all that... well, I still say "barbarian" is more of a style and build rather then any class consideration...
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheShadowScout true. A skill line with buffs like major brutality, major resolve/ward, passives for melee, and maybe a non magical melee skill that could be used with any melee weapon. Like a beautiful headbutt ;). The biggest problem for me, like you said, is all the utility buffs I need are heavy in magic. i.e. major resolve/ward - stamscorc=a huricane, stamden=icicles(kind of neat but still...), stamblade=having to use a shadow skill in heavy armor for 8 sec effect(not sure on exact duration), stamdk=comically cartoony spikes coming out of your back. Most of the buffs/utility/dd skills are like that.
      Tl;dr I agree
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    honestly i'd like a bard class.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have one character and time for only one character. So any "class" we add I have no interest in as I like my poison master dk. So you add something, add claw weapons and let me fist fight.

Generally it would boost like swords so useful for both Stam and mag, maybe even something new, some of the morphs turn the skills to magic skills.

Give it a cool gap closer, some slashing, some rapid punches, and a achievement style that lets you glamour them invisible and grant us our brawler and hand mage dreams.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is bullsh... uhm... bovine manure and you know it.

No.

It's the blindingly obvious truth and everyone knows it.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes

The brazen lie that TES single player games have actual classes - as in themed combat jobs with limited skills / abilities - is a lie oft repeated here in a pathetic attempt to defend ESO's status quo.

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim don't have classes.

That's a fact.

Every player can learn and use nearly every skill, spell and weapon. The only exceptions are vampire and werewolf specific stuff. Which isn't a lot in comparison to what's available to everyone.

Skyrim attempted a soft limit on character progression by way of limited perk points but it was so overwhelmingly unpopular that most players modded it away. And eventually Bethesda patched in effective removal of the level and perk point cap.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard!

I thought Bard was covered under Nightblades or Warden. How do you see them differently?

Bards are a form of support class, specifically using music or arts to offer buffs or general support including healing to the group, they would wield an instrument instead of a staff.
    Nightblades are more into the stealth and assassination were as Wardens are more into Nature magic, animal summons and for some reason in this game, frost magic.
    A Bard would be a wonder-full addition to the game. Also, lets not forget there is a Bards college in Solitude in Skyrim.

In traditional rpgs you are correct, but in tes they are well bards. No magic ir anything.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the blindingly obvious truth and everyone knows it.
    Nope.
    [snip]
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes

The brazen lie that TES single player games have actual classes - as in themed combat jobs with limited skills / abilities - is a lie oft repeated here in a [snip] attempt to defend ESO's status quo.

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim don't have classes.

That's a fact.
    No, that is a blindingly obvious lie.

Morrowind and Oblivion (And Daggerfall too for that matter - cannot really speak for Arena since I never played that, but I presume it was pretty much like daggerfall...) HAVE classes. It says right there in the links you posted, even! :p;)
    Skyrim, yes, they went a different path there...

But just because the "classes" in those games were only -starting points- in regard to skills and abilities and not eternal limitations does not make them any less "classes"!
    Just because YOUR definition of "classes" is more narrow does not mean the "classes" in those games did not exist, nor that they weren't really classes.
    You dont get to rewrite the past. And if you try it someone like me will cry foul! ;)
    Every player can learn and use nearly every skill, spell and weapon.
    Eventually.
    If they put some effort into it.
    (Even the vampire and werewolf stuff... if they go vampire or werewolf of course)

But... their "starting class" -STILL- was the one that determined which skills counted towards level advancement, and which were just... hobbies that had no impact on advancing the character level.
    Sorry if you didn't know, and thought that the skills was all there is to the classes in those games...

Also, there really is no need to "defend ESO's status quo" - that status quo is what the powers that be decided it should be, and they decided to go with the classes we have. And anyone suggesting they scrap their established system and invest ALL the development costs -again- to build a completely different system at this point would be laughed out of the company. Keep the thought for their -next- game, accept ESO is the way they decided it shall be, [snip], spend your time thinking what additions to -this- system might be fun!

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 9, 2020 1:56PM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But just because the "classes" in those games were only -starting points- in regard to skills and abilities and not eternal limitations does not make them any less "classes"!

Just because the "classes" in those games weren't at all classes, doesn't make them not classes!

ROFL
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because the "classes" in those games weren't at all classes, doesn't make them not classes!
    The classes in the game were classes.
    Not the sort of classes we have in ESO, but classes nonetheless.
    Just because YOU have a much narrower definition of what a class is does not mean they were not classes.
    I mean, read it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_class
    The definition is broad enough to contain everything from D&D "classes", to the more loosely structured ESO "classes", to the even more loosely structured old TES game "classes".

And that the classes in the older TES games were not very restrictive... -still- doesn't mean that those games were classless, or the classes in those games were not classes - as I mentioned, even while allowing people to build up ANY skill, the base class -still- determined which "career" skills were counted for level advancement, and which "non-career skills" were not. So... the basic "class" was with your character for the -entire- game, just not nearly as limiting in what you could or couldn't do as in some other more rigidly structured games.
    Still doesn't mean they weren't classes. No matter how much you'd like to rewrite the dictionary.

Or if you like it that way...
    "Just because you don't consider the classes in those game classes does not make them not classes - LOL"
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbarian. Give us a class with mainly stamina skills and a few Magicka morphs
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Late at night while trying to sleep I designed a spell blade... then forgot it by morning. The idea of the class being inherently hybrid is super interesting.

Also, I designed an Alchemist skill line, you see the alchemist npcs in Elseweyr.
    Monks are sort of harder to make work, Because how do you have magicka abilities. In the end
    Maybe there is a class in there that is a combination of Alchemist and Monks and various other animations that are floating about.
  • GusTheWizard
    GusTheWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tempest

the skill lines wind, water, ice.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    Barbarian. Give us a class with mainly stamina skills and a few Magicka morphs
    -sigh-
    Do people actually read, or are they just... feh!

Anyhow, once again, that's not how it works.
    Classes in ESO are ALL about the magical stuff in varying flavor, and then can be developed into "magica builds" using that a lot supported by (staff) weapon skills, or into stamina builds using the weapon skills a lot supported by one or two class skills.
    And any future class which I dearly hope never will come would have to follow that pattern as well.

And any stamina build would HAVE to be more weapons dependent... and with ESO having free weapon selection, that means those wishes have no place in -classes-!
    Which would be fine with me, if people asked to double the skills for any weapon to give -stamina- characters more fun to do... I'd be all for it! But that would still be -weapon skills-, not a new class. If people asked for a new guild skill like for warrior support abilities... I'd be all for it! But that would still be -guild skills-, not a new class.
    Tempest

the skill lines wind, water, ice.
    They already did ice with warden.
    And they are not likely to duplicate their work... so, at best you can maybe hope for a "wind and water" based guild skill line sometime... (maybe stealing some of the nereid skills for that?)

And I still say, I wish they had kept all the "elemental" skills seperate from classes, and let people mix and match... have a "sorceror" start with just daedric and dark magic, and then pick and choose their "elemental affinity", be it fire, lightning, ice, earth, light or darkness... same for all the others. Would have been a lot more fun... Alas, paths not taken...
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭✭
    healer
    PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or vet Trial Dummy with buffs and Aetherial Well (look for the Harrowing Reaper on the northern rock wall) ↑↑↑
  • guidorocker
    We are missing a Ministral class. Kill with song.
    Some call Bard (?)

I’d like to se a more defines thief class with better sneak and strike abilities. Hiding in the shadows with dagger, nearly invisible.
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a reference to battlemage in the game files, so I'd imagine we're getting that at some point unless they decided to scrap the idea.
    Personally I'm happy with the six classes we have, ZOS should at least determine which direction they wanna go with combat & balance changes and stick to it before adding anymore (rather than the constant U-turns).
    Also the CP rework should be done first, I'd imagine the more stuff they add before that, the harder it will be to get it right.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see bard myself. This is a mmoRPG. If fits great in the rpg bit of the game. Its up to the devs to develop how to make it work in the mmo parts.