The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People being banned for no apparent reason

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was an interesting six pages. Oh the trials of the Master Race of gaming.

I gathered a probable change to ESO's anti-cheat suddenly viewed a bunch of commonly used but now outdated Addons as malicious programs, thus, sweeping automatic Bans.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Deohjo
    Deohjo
    ✭✭
    The reception counter is next to room 5150.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »
    zoomorph wrote: »
    are you going to apologize to everyone when it is proven these were in error?

Nope. I'm sure that those who were wrongfully accused will return after ZOS investigation is complete. They would at most have lost a few gaming days. This is, in my opinion, a small price to pay to get rid of the cheaters.

well you are calling people cheaters when they are not, which deserves an apology. So man up.

For what? as i said, people that are not cheating is getting unbanned. There are cheaters in this game, and they should get kicked. And i'm not sorry at all if they are.

you basically implied that all the people being banned were cheaters.

i can think of a way he could apologize to us and it involves hot wax,whips and chains

Okay, if they change the DK skill Stonefist to "Gob of Hot Wax", we Dragonknights have all three covered :)
    Options
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I gathered a probable change to ESO's anti-cheat suddenly viewed a bunch of commonly used but now outdated Addons as malicious programs, thus, sweeping automatic Bans.

That’s total speculation so please cut it out with the addons are the devil business. We will see what they say if they say.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
    Options
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    should have made the title, "PLEASE HELP, IM TRYING TO SPEND 20,000 CROWNS BUT BUG IN THE CROWN STORE"

The only way Zos will open a thread with any care.
    Options
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    Regal_Imp wrote: »
    I have been un-muted and un-banned! but honestly this isn't over for me.

People make mistakes, and software can have bugs that may ban people, but this is ridiculous, at the very least admit that you made a mistake. Explain how this happened, why did I get censored after I made a forum post about it?

This was obviously ZOS' fault and they're gonna pretend this never happened.
    I also got unbanned, but, likewise, this isn't over for me.

This didn't just inconvenience me, it affected an entire raid guild. I get to feel like garbage for missing a raid and letting down 11 other people and 1 other who had to come as a sub. Considering the nature of the initial false ban, I'm not logging back in until some official word on this comes out. I don't care about how their anti-cheat system works, I don't cheat or exploit and have been very vocal in any raiding guild I've been in that I won't do exploits (I skipped various exploits such as no deaths in dungeons until they were fixed; wouldn't do vAS+2 when Felms wouldn't jump properly; etc., etc.). I don't need or want an in-depth analyses on their cheat prevention measures. I want an assurance that this won't happen again, or something I can do so as not to be falsely banned again (other than some random unhelpful post saying "don't cheat").

The only way to guarantee anti-cheat systems never give a false positive is to not have an anti-cheat system. So I guess you'll be disappointing your raid team and guild continuously. False positives WILL happen. There's no way to prevent them.
    Options
  • zoomorph
    zoomorph
    ✭✭

Nope. I'm sure that those who were wrongfully accused will return after ZOS investigation is complete. They would at most have lost a few gaming days. This is, in my opinion, a small price to pay to get rid of the cheaters.

well you are calling people cheaters when they are not, which deserves an apology. So man up.

For what? as i said, people that are not cheating is getting unbanned. There are cheaters in this game, and they should get kicked. And i'm not sorry at all if they are.

i can think of a way he could apologize to us and it involves hot wax,whips and chains

Lol, stop being offended. And i did no such thing. I'm just happy ZOS is doing something to ban the cheaters, ond so should you. If you dont cheat, then there is nothing to fear.

Let me ask you this: How do you feel about cheaters? Is it OK with you that kids or soar loosers run around with trainer on.
    Options
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭
    I have been un-muted and un-banned! but honestly this isn't over for me.

People make mistakes, and software can have bugs that may ban people, but this is ridiculous, at the very least admit that you made a mistake. Explain how this happened, why did I get censored after I made a forum post about it?

This was obviously ZOS' fault and they're gonna pretend this never happened.
    I also got unbanned, but, likewise, this isn't over for me.

This didn't just inconvenience me, it affected an entire raid guild. I get to feel like garbage for missing a raid and letting down 11 other people and 1 other who had to come as a sub. Considering the nature of the initial false ban, I'm not logging back in until some official word on this comes out. I don't care about how their anti-cheat system works, I don't cheat or exploit and have been very vocal in any raiding guild I've been in that I won't do exploits (I skipped various exploits such as no deaths in dungeons until they were fixed; wouldn't do vAS+2 when Felms wouldn't jump properly; etc., etc.). I don't need or want an in-depth analyses on their cheat prevention measures. I want an assurance that this won't happen again, or something I can do so as not to be falsely banned again (other than some random unhelpful post saying "don't cheat").

The only way to guarantee anti-cheat systems never give a false positive is to not have an anti-cheat system. So I guess you'll be disappointing your raid team and guild continuously. False positives WILL happen. There's no way to prevent them.

Thats true, but when they happen on such a massive scale you need to apologize, explain or compensate, they are just pretending it didnt happen. Consumers need to keep companies honest or they'll just walk all over us.
    AD: R E G A L/Halle Bear-y/Regal Implar/ l l l l DC: Enel/Blue Imp EP: Regal Pimp/Chuck Bear-y/Red Imp
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s total speculation so please cut it out with the addons are the devil business. We will see what they say if they say.

Its not speculation. Imp's support email literally said they were banned under the ToS articles pertaining to 3rd party programs, ie. Addons.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be one of those, they have had a rough week.
    Options
  • kmkastl
    kmkastl
    ✭✭

Lol, stop being offended. And i did no such thing. I'm just happy ZOS is doing something to ban the cheaters, ond so should you. If you dont cheat, then there is nothing to fear.

Let me ask you this: How do you feel about cheaters? Is it OK with you that kids or soar loosers run around with trainer on.

They're not doing something though. Since this seems like a screw up on their part, there's a chance they banned zero actual cheaters. If they did it was purely an accident on their part.
    Options
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Its not speculation. Imp's support email literally said they were banned under the ToS articles pertaining to 3rd party programs, ie. Addons.

Cheat engine isn't an addon, whatever program the "russian" used wasn't an add on. Macros aren't addons.
    Options
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then:
    or something I can do so as not to be falsely banned again (other than some random unhelpful post saying "don't cheat").
    If this is addon related. Tell us. Even via PM or e-mail. Something. Anything. At the moment, they've said nothing. We don't know, despite a lot of people saying "disable all addons," whether it is related to addons or whether it's just something on ZOS's end related to the various crashes people have mentioned. I haven't even been into Cyrodiil since the update, so I see no reason why "Cyrodiil crashes" would affect me. I am also acutely aware of how and why false-positives happen, but anti-cheat measure are not random. Something caused this.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
    Options
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭
    in fact you're supposed to do ALL 3 lol
    AD: R E G A L/Halle Bear-y/Regal Implar/ l l l l DC: Enel/Blue Imp EP: Regal Pimp/Chuck Bear-y/Red Imp
    Options
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭

Cheat engine isn't an addon, whatever program the "russian" used wasn't an add on. Macros aren't addons.

if you think CE still works on the server-side processes of ESO then you have no idea how this game, or technology in general works. CE only works on client-side processes, like pre-2015 ESO
    Options
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Agree with manwithbeard here. Yes, it showed three options, only one was an addon option for why they were banned. I think you misunderstood, arch.

Edited by StabbityDoom on February 28, 2020 9:08PM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    Options
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well I cant even log on at the moment.....so no idea whats going on with the game atm.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    Options
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Third party program" is a much wider category than "add-on" - so exempli gratia, not id est.
    Options
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

if you think CE still works on the server-side processes of ESO then you have no idea how this game, or technology in general works. CE only works on client-side processes, like pre-2015 ESO

I have no idea, I’m not tech. But I will say only one option in your email appeared to be addon related.

PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any non-ESO program running on your PC is a 3rd party program. Starting from your browser or any VoIP porgram you are using. It can also be any peripherials configuration program which might look like (and usually is) a macro software.

They are also much more likely to invoke a false-positive in anti-cheat than an addon which normally does not even have an executable and is only able to access functions ZOS has provided as part of the API.
    Options
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah, 7 pages without *** zos excuse.

Is this a record? Although it is weekend (cba to think what was maryland timezone).
    Options
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow now im scared :cold_sweat: have crashed a few times today bc of addons...
    PC EU
    Options
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭

I have no idea, I’m not tech. But I will say only one option in your email appeared to be addon related.

That wasn't in response to you! Manwithbeard was the one talking about cheat engine
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a software bug. My guess they might have been trying to do back end work to fix the crashes and maybe it could have triggered the anti cheat system by mistake. That is my guess at least it does sound like a bug to me.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on February 28, 2020 9:15PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Okay, if they change the DK skill Stonefist to "Gob of Hot Wax", we Dragonknights have all three covered :)

Dragonknight, the premier hero class of our new MMOERPG
    Options
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The point of my comment was people blaming "solely" addons where the bans could have been triggered by anything under those sections of TOS. And cheat engine was still working well past 2015 in ESO. The "russian" videos were even more recent than Ult-pocalypse cheat engine weekend.
    Options
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was banned for something I didn't do, I might be butthurt too. HOWEVER, I wouldn't be accusing ZoS of hiding anything, what have they hidden? It seems the accounts that were banned, were banned for a relatively very short time that really amounts to almost nothing, certainly far less than many maintenance days.

I don't understand why it's as gigantic a deal as it seems to be for some people. Open a ticket and ask support why you were banned, raging about it here is not going to serve any purpose, nor get you the answers you are seeking.

What bothers me far more than the unfortunate people who were banned is how people are behaving, and what they are writing. Hold ZoS accountable for things like bugs that are not fixed, I get that totally. Hold them accountable for over monetization, I get that too. But when something goes wrong, when something happens on a Friday when most of these people work from mon-fri, specially the ones who are responsible for disclosing what has happened, even if they ever do and expecting an answer right now is just unreasonable.

Being a WAN (Wide Area Network) manager for years I can tell you things happen that are beyond control, that are not expected, that you cannot prepare for and sometimes it takes days or even weeks to figure out what went wrong. Demanding an answer right now really just amounts to behaving like a child.

These are human beings after all, we are not talking about the policy makers but real human beings that are just trying to create a stable environment so you can enjoy the game. Give it a rest already.
    Options
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭
    whole ass pages getting deleted from this thread, what a joke
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

Any non-ESO program running on your PC is a 3rd party program. Starting from your browser or any VoIP porgram you are using. It can also be any peripherials configuration program which might look like (and usually is) a macro software.

They are also much more likely to invoke a false-positive in anti-cheat than an addon which normally does not even have an executable and is only able to access functions ZOS has provided as part of the API.

Yes, fair comment, but also to be fair the whole of the deleted thread was based around the theory that this incident was related to add-ons. That fueled a panic and a mass reluctance to log in by anyone who was using any add-ons. Some add-ons do, as I understand it (being a PC user who doesn't use add-ons) include an executable, indeed part of the original defence against the bans was that add-ons couldn't be at fault because they relied on third-party sources that weren't accessible to the ingame detection systems.
    Options
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a WAN (Wide Area Network) manager for years I can tell you things happen that are beyond control, that are not expected, that you cannot prepare for and sometimes it takes days or even weeks to figure out what went wrong.

I don't think anyone in the technology industry would disagree with this. However, we also know it's part of our job to own it when we (or our systems) mess up. You don't have to have an immediate answer as to why, but you do have to acknowledge that an issue happened. That's basic service delivery; as a provider, it is on you to own it when your tech goes wonk. In my experience, a simple acknowledgement goes a heck of a long way towards calming the masses.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.