Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Bad/clueless/unwilling to learn people in dungeons

daedalusAI
daedalusAI
✭✭✭✭✭
It's just infuriating how bad/clueless the large majority of players are, and then they just refuse to listen to anything you're telling them:
  • CP 320 DK with bow/DW, but his only AoE is spamming Noxious Breath
  • Level 45 sorc whose sole goal in life is to spam Crystal Shards until the end of time, no matter what you're telling him
  • CP 450 who thinks food is for the weak and runs around with 10k HP; but there seems to be a general aversion to using food in dungeons, or at all for that matter
  • CP from 1 to 810 who just refuse to move out of big red telegraphed effects and die as a result, but then get irritated if you point them towards that fact

I'm far from a really good player, but some things like moving out of big red telegraphed effects, slotting at least 1 AoE and listening to feedback from players who just might know more than you are things I have to expect.
Edited by daedalusAI on October 3, 2019 7:21AM
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then dont pug?
    Edited by Weesacs on October 3, 2019 7:24AM
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weesacs wrote: »
    Then dont pug?

What is that supposed to even mean:
    • You play with people you know and are fine with them not knowing anything even with a high CP number
    • You expect basic things like what I described in my OP, but then the question is why you expect those things of the people you play with, and not the general player population
    Edited by daedalusAI on October 3, 2019 7:29AM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you can't handle the bad groups, you should not be pugging. Or you can always leave, you know? Wait 15 minutes and get a new one
    Edited by ZonasArch on October 3, 2019 7:29AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't prepared to get what's in the "box of chocolates" ... don't pug dungeons. Period.
  • Halcyon_blue
    Halcyon_blue
    ✭✭✭
    It's much easier on your own personal stress if you assume everyone is an 8 year old kid with limited language skills until proven otherwise. Lower the bar until people stop limbo-ing underneath it - it's a game, not a uni entrance exam 😜
  • daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't prepared to get what's in the "box of chocolates" ... don't pug dungeons. Period.

I guess what you really want to say is: don't have expectations of any kind if you're pugging, even if they're self-evident as in moving out of telegraphed effects, right?
  • daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's much easier on your own personal stress if you assume everyone is an 8 year old kid with limited language skills until proven otherwise. Lower the bar until people stop limbo-ing underneath it - it's a game, not a uni entrance exam 😜

The bar can't be any lower than moving out of big red telegraphed effects, and yet a majority fail even at that.

The next step would be the thinking required to use any kind of AoE effect if you're facing more than 1 enemy, and yet a majority fails at that too.

I reckon it's a result of people not wanting to think while playing + the general lowest common denominator scope of the game, as you can do every overland content by light/heavy attacking without having to learn anything at all.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durrr y u so mean to me?
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's time to make a change,
    Just relax, take it easy
    You're still young, that's your fault,
    There's so much you have to know
    Find a guild, settle down,
    If you want you can be carried
    Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,
    To be calm when you've found something going on
    But take your time, tank a lot,
    Why, think of everything you've got
    For you will still be here tomorrow, but the noobs may not

How can I try to explain, when I do she turns away again
    It's always been the same, same old story
    From the moment I could queue for dungeons I was ordered to listen
    Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away
    I know I have to go

Just sit down, take it slowly
    There's so much you have to go through

All the times that I tried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
    It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
    If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them you know not me
    I know I have to go
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daedalusAI wrote: »
    It's just infuriating how bad/clueless the large majority of players are, and then they just refuse to listen to anything you're telling them:
    • Level 45 sorc whose sole goal in life is to spam Crystal Shards until the end of time, no matter what you're telling him
    • CP 450 who thinks food is for the weak and runs around with 10k HP; but there seems to be a general aversion to using food in dungeons, or at all for that matter
    • CP from 1 to 810 who just refuse to move out of big red telegraphed effects and die as a result, but then get irritated if you point them towards that fact

I'm far from a really good player, but some things like moving out of big red telegraphed effects, slotting at least 1 AoE and listening to feedback from players who just might know more than you are things I have to expect.

What makes you such a good player? After all I am sure people should tell you what to do when you play. Also, why does everyone have to be a cyber jock? You do know people play for fun and don't go by the numbers? While video games was mainly for nerds back in the day, those days are gone and lots of people love playing video games for fun. Shocking, fun means not the best and enjoying something.

If you are a cyber sports jock, why don't you and a few others join together and start up your own sport league. After all, it seems you guys know it all and are so good, you should be making millions, if not billions.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should play single player games ^^
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imagine complaining about pugs in 2019.

PC EU
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not a joke: I've met CP 160+ toons where the player claims it's their first dungeon EVER.

Maybe they power levelled. Maybe they used XP boosts. Maybe they started during a double XP event. Maybe they levelled their alt doing daily writs. Whatever. Point is, something is going on and some people don't step foot in dungeons till way into their mid to late game.

Some of what you wrote though -- sounds like maybe while they were leveling they forgot to level their skill lines <.<
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 3, 2019 8:01AM
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    daedalusAI wrote: »

What makes you such a good player? After all I am sure people should tell you what to do when you play. Also, why does everyone have to be a cyber jock? You do know people play for fun and don't go by the numbers? While video games was mainly for nerds back in the day, those days are gone and lots of people love playing video games for fun. Shocking, fun means not the best and enjoying something.

If you are a cyber sports jock, why don't you and a few others join together and start up your own sport league. After all, it seems you guys know it all and are so good, you should be making millions, if not billions.

uhhh what?
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    “Elitist w***er blames others for own failings” shocker

You’re bothered by the way others play?

1. Don’t play with others, or

2. Set up guild with express purpose of helping others improve

3. Stop whining about it to others, you sound like a sad spoilt child
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attitude can have a lot to do with people not listening. I'm not talking about their attitude. If you treat groups like you treat people posting in this thread that might be part of the problem. I know some players simply will not listen at all. I've had 'em in my group. Most though if you are civil will at least try or at least that has been my experience. Maybe pug RNG is against you and you get all the caustic players?
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SipofMaim
    SipofMaim
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a whole crop of people who started playing this summer and leveled to CP whatever by lfg in zone and riding their horse up to the dolmens in Alik'r while they watch Netflix. It's going to be a little while until the ones who decide to stay once they actually start playing the game learn the basics. Like food buffs and blocking and CC immunity and what a taunt is.

I've gone through periods of tanking for PUGs but I'll be sitting this out.

ZOS should buff the hell out of xp for normal maelstrom, questing, and any overland content that doesn't facilitate passive leeching, and obliterate the dolmen grind for good.
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Not a joke: I've met CP 160+ toons where the player claims it's their first dungeon EVER.

Maybe they power levelled. Maybe they used XP boosts. Maybe they started during a double XP event. Maybe they levelled their alt doing daily writs. Whatever. Point is, something is going on and some people don't step foot in dungeons till way into their mid to late game.

Some of what you wrote though -- sounds like maybe while they were leveling they forgot to level their skill lines <.<

Or maybe they decide they want to explore the world and quest first?
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Dusk_Coven

You are not wrong. I was CP 450, had completed all the solo main story, had Cadwell’s gold la la la before I ever did any group content. CP is like jail time, it doesn’t give you any idea of what people have done, just how long they have served.

Took me a while to get used to even standing behind a boss, cos when had I ever had/been able to do that in years of solo play? Fortunately I fell in with a bunch of cool people who showed me how things work... I try to make sure I remember that when I feel frustrated with others’ gameplay. Especially in random dungeons.

Equally fortunately I’ve never come across anyone as unpleasant as the OP in game. And I hope it stays that way.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie91 wrote: »

But the dungeons ARE in the game world. It's like ZOS put them there so you can walk in (you know, maybe because some Undaunted dude in a tavern challenged you to go inside) but whoa! You can't solo it at level 10 or whatever while you're wandering around the game world.
    Seems like the design is a bit weird.

In FFXIV and SWL if you try to walk into a dungeon, you get the Group Finder.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 3, 2019 8:33AM
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

People like you are exactly why others give up on teaching newbies. You, clearly, have no desire to learn how to be a team player.

That’s fine, until you start trying to force other players to put it up with you while you cry “elitist” the moment someone tells you how to get better at the game
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Dunning-Kruger Effect at its finest.
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuffie91 wrote: »

But the dungeons ARE in the game world. It's like ZOS put them there so you can walk in (you know, maybe because some Undaunted dude in a tavern challenged you to go inside) but whoa! You can't solo it at level 10 or whatever while you're wandering around the game world.
    Seems like the design is a bit weird.

In FFXIV and SWL if you try to walk into a dungeon, you get the Group Finder.

But some people choose to experience the quests first and get to know the game BEFORE doing group content
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if people are unwilling to learn there might be something wrong with them, but there might also be something wrong with the teachers and the content.

maybe the dungeons need a redesign.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »

People like you are exactly why others give up on teaching newbies. You, clearly, have no desire to learn how to be a team player.

That’s fine, until you start trying to force other players to put it up with you while you cry “elitist” the moment someone tells you how to get better at the game

Hey dude,

There are many different ways to encourage others to learn. Personally, I don’t think any of them begin by having the attitude that the OP does. You can’t be starting with an attitude simply because someone doesn’t know something or isn’t as experienced as you are... I mean imagine how that would work in kindergarten, where almost none of the children know anything.

Belittlement, superiority and abuse are rarely effective teaching tools

It may seem a little petty, but you don’t tell people to get better, you help them.

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Belittlement, superiority and abuse are rarely effective teaching tools

/sarcasm on

This is why there's such a great PvP community in ESO!
    "L2P" and "git gud" are all you need to help people get better at PvP. Look how popular the IC is now!

/sarcasm off
    Rungar wrote: »
    if people are unwilling to learn there might be something wrong with them, but there might also be something wrong with the teachers and the content.

I haven't tried the Elsweyr tutorial but I heard it is quite comprehensive compared to the earlier ones?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 3, 2019 8:52AM
  • Kertats
    Kertats
    ✭✭✭
    Just relax, take it easy
    There's so much you have to know

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,
    To be calm when you've found something going on
    But take your time, tank a lot,
    Why, think of everything you've got
    For you will still be here tomorrow, but the noobs may not

How can I try to explain, when I do she turns away again
    It's always been the same, same old story
    From the moment I could queue for dungeons I was ordered to listen
    I know I have to go

Just sit down, take it slowly
    There's so much you have to go through

All the times that I tried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
    It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
    If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them you know not me
    I know I have to go

I Love this !!! :)
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, like me, they've taken time to enjoy the rest of the game playing solo, only doing the dungeon and group stuff when they get around to it.

I'm CP450+ (forget how much exactly), and have only done few dungeons ages ago. My current main hasn't been inside a group dungeon at all, but can solo every public dungeon he's come across. I'm only now toying with the idea of pugging a dungeon. Still not been to Cyrodill.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pugging a dungeon is always a crap shoot. Don’t like the results, leave and try later.
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying they shouldn't know to move out of stupid. But being red/green colour blind I really struggled to see AOEs when I first started playing, until I changed the colour to bright luminous pink 😁
    I still can't see the "sparkles" that apparently telegraph interrupts though 😞
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD