The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

TOP tank sets

Radinyn
Radinyn
✭✭✭✭✭
What are the best craftable sets for tank right now?
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tank tops
  • Hibiki54
    Hibiki54
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly Torugs.

Most of the best tanking sets are from dungeons, trials or overland sets. Torugs is mainly used to buff your weapon crusher enchantment for more penetration and uptime.
    @Hibiki54
    PC/NA
    Hibiki the White Mage - Altmer|Templar Healer (main)
    Hibiki the Warrior - Imperial|Dragonknight Tank
    Hibiki the Red Mage - Redguard|Stamina Sorceress DD
    Hibiki the Black Mage - Altmer|Magicka Pet Sorceress DD
    Hibiki the Summoner - Breton|Warden Tank
    Hibiki the Thief - Bosmer|Stamina Nightblade PvP
    Hibiki the Knight - Nord|Stamina Templar DD
    Hibiki the Dragoon - Reguard|Stamina Dragonknight DD
    Hibiki the Onion Knight - Dunmer|Sorceress Tank
    Hibiki the Holy Knight - Altmer|Magicka Templar DD
    Hibiki the Geomancer - Altmer|Dragonknight Tank
    Hibiki the Ninja - Imperial|Nightblade Tank
  • Lupusdiabolus
    Lupusdiabolus
    ✭✭✭
    Torugs Pact.
    Tavas Favour
    Histbark
    These are all good craftable tank Sets. Common is actually Torugs
    Edited by Lupusdiabolus on November 25, 2017 11:52AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ebon, dragongaurd

edit: just read the op closer, craftable has been listed but are going to want one of the sets i listed eventually.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 26, 2017 2:25AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    +1 For Torugs. Histbark if you are newer though cause it makes you survive better. Tava's dead as a heavy armor set except for Nightblade which is sub par to begin with and the set was never really that good before the change either.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Craftable: Torugs is probably the best, Tavas used to be one of the best but got nerfed a bit, can still work. Hist bark is pretty good until you start getting dropped sets.

Drop sets: Ebon and Dragonguard are probably the best, Alkosh jewellery and weapons go well in tank builds as well. Plague Doctors and Green Pact work well with high health builds, I think they got nerfed last patch though. I still use Ebon/Plague Doctors for the very difficult dungeons if I start struggling a bit, where I’ve got good faith in the DPS. Other times I use Ebon/Alkosh.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tavas is useless since ZoS broke it with the shuffle skill change, don't even bother with that set. It only works in 5 medium now unless you're a Nightblade.
    Yes we know Warden has a 5% evasion skill blah blah, that skills useless stop suggesting it. No gossamer wont proc that because evading and enemies missing is not the same thing. Also I am not gonna spend a whole battle dodge rolling so quit suggesting that too. :|

Tbh I wouldn't use any crafted sets now for tanking because they're all subpar to dropped sets, unless of course your just looking for some quick slap together gear with training on it to level in. In that case Whitestrake, or Hist Bark, I even like some of the hybridy sets from Vvardenfell and Clockwork City for leveling.
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on November 25, 2017 11:43AM
    love is love
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tanks can't agree on which sets are the best one.

can try Whitestrake and Plague Doctor if you are new to dungeons.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tavas is useless since ZoS broke it with the shuffle skill change, don't even bother with that set. It only works in 5 medium now unless you're a Nightblade.
    Yes we know Warden has a 5% evasion skill blah blah, that skills useless stop suggesting it. No gossamer wont proc that because evading and enemies missing is not the same thing. Also I am not gonna spend a whole battle dodge rolling so quit suggesting that too. :|

Tbh I wouldn't use any crafted sets now for tanking because they're all subpar to dropped sets, unless of course your just looking for some quick slap together gear with training on it to level in. In that case Whitestrake, or Hist Bark, I even like some of the hybridy sets from Vvardenfell and Clockwork City for leveling.

@Caligamy_ESO
    While I agree that Tava's is bad, you are wrong on two things. First, Gossamer will proc Tava's. Gossamer gives the allied targets Major Evasion, the buff we use to proc Tava's, its what the Medium Armor skill grants. It does not make enemies miss you in that sense. Miss chance was taken out of the game a long time ago, with the exception of the now Meridian Blessed Armor.

4y1hdlk.png

Second thing is, Torug's Pact combined with Alkosh is a very strong set up for a Tank and that does contain a crafted set, Torug's. This type of set up allows groups to spend less points into Piercing or Spell Erosion, as well giving a strong Weakening enchantment debuff on the bosses. Though its more for groups that preform properly and spec as a group and not just solo.
  • Saumur11689
    Saumur11689
    ✭✭✭
    Torug and Ebon
    Lvl 750+ Sorcerer (AD)
    EU XboxOne
  • leemcky
    leemcky
    I like the new fortified brass from cwc
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    leemcky wrote: »
    I like the new fortified brass from cwc

Good in PvP, but useless for PvE Tanks. The resistance is not worth it and more utility and support sets is preferred over it. Diminishing Returns with mitigation makes high resistance not worth it, plus you will most likely reach over the cap in full heavy Fortified Brass. Actually yea, full heavy with a shield with all passives Major buffs and 5p of Fortified Brass gets you 33866 resistance which is 766 over the cap, and that will mean that a DK Tanks spell resistance will be FAR over the cap. And spell resistance is the one that matters most most of the time cause its the more common damage type. Without the Fortified brass you are at 25721, add class passives and racials to that and you will be just fine.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh I wouldn't use any crafted sets now for tanking because they're all subpar to dropped sets
    As stated earlier in the thread, Torug is a great tank set, and in most trials, the current "meta" setup is for the main tank to be wearing Torug/Alkosh and the off-tank to be wearing Ebon/Alkosh. And for solo-tanking, Ebon/Alkosh and Ebon/Torug are both good choices, depending on the content. In short, any serious endgame PvE tank should have Torug somewhere in their bag.

Hist Bark and Fortified Brass are "selfish" sets that some would consider to be good for learning. But, TBH, I don't think they really make things easier for a beginner tank.
    First, Gossamer will proc Tava's.
    While that is correct--Gossamer does proc Tava--I just pretend that Gossamer doesn't exist in this game. Only one person can have the effect, and it requires healing missing health (i.e., it can't proc when someone at full health gets a heal). Combine that with the low RNG chance, Gossamer is just... bad. But it can proc Tava... once in a blue moon.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Tbh I wouldn't use any crafted sets now for tanking because they're all subpar to dropped sets
    As stated earlier in the thread, Torug is a great tank set, and in most trials, the current "meta" setup is for the main tank to be wearing Torug/Alkosh and the off-tank to be wearing Ebon/Alkosh. And for solo-tanking, Ebon/Alkosh and Ebon/Torug are both good choices, depending on the content. In short, any serious endgame PvE tank should have Torug somewhere in their bag.

Hist Bark and Fortified Brass are "selfish" sets that some would consider to be good for learning. But, TBH, I don't think they really make things easier for a beginner tank.
    First, Gossamer will proc Tava's.
    While that is correct--Gossamer does proc Tava--I just pretend that Gossamer doesn't exist in this game. Only one person can have the effect, and it requires healing missing health (i.e., it can't proc when someone at full health gets a heal). Combine that with the low RNG chance, Gossamer is just... bad. But it can proc Tava... once in a blue moon.

@code65536 Agreed on the Gossamer, just pointing out incorrect facts :wink:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Crafted Sets (which by and large are not as good as dropped sets but are perfectly fine for getting you to the point where you can get the better sets that drop from group dungeons):

Stuff you might actually hang onto:
    Torug's Pact, 3 trait, which you want to be using with the Crusher enchantment
    Hist Bark, 4 trait, if Major Evasion is something you like
    Tava's Blessing, which I'm mentioning because it used to be spectacular before ZSO firmly attached Shuffle to medium armor. If you can figure out how to make it work, the Tava's + Bloodspawn is a great ulti generation tool. Otherwise, not so much.

Stuff you'll drop once you get better stuff
    Whitestrake's Retribution, 4 trait, because that damage shield is spectacular as you learn to tank. It'll save your butt when you get over confident or have to rez your entire group, but its basically training wheels for a tank. You'll outgrow the need for that damage shield at low health.
    Fortified Brass, 4 trait, because you'll figure out better ways to get the physical and spell resistances you need. If you want to reach the cap fast and easy, grab this, but you'll soon figure out that you can get there other ways without using an entire 5-piece gear bonus to get there.
    Armor Master, 9 trait, more or less for the same reason as Fortified Brass, there are easier ways to get what this set offers.

My personal favorite, even though its not optimal, was Whitestrake's Retribution. This set was very much my training wheels for learning to tank. That health shield at 30% saved me quite a few times while I was learning dungeon mechanics and was great when trying to rez PUGs in random normals.
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about twice born star?
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »

Don't really see it being that strong, most Tanks do not use a lot of Divines on their armor when it comes to trait and unless you use 7 divines Twice Born star is not really that good. And what would the second mundus be? Atronach and? Lady? Lord? Tower? Don't really see them being better than the traits we normally use with other 5p sets.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »

Twice Born Star is pretty effective for certain DPS builds, though its certainly dropped off the BIS charts.

However, for a tank, it really doesn't have that much to offer in comparison to the others. Like many sets, it might be okay for a "I'm learning to be a tank" set, but you'll find much better endgame options. There are sets that do better with giving you extra resources, and as for the double mundus stones...

Consider the double Mundus options
    The Lady, 3kish resistances - nice, but you can get resistances from passives, skills, and gear sets you are already wearing
    The Lord, 2k health - nice but you shouldn't be lacking in health as a tank from your other gear choices
    The recovery ones - eh, nice, but you can use enchantments as well
    Extra damage ones - eh, nice, but I'm a tank, not a DPS so a little extra damage isn't going to push me over the limit

While it might be useful to have two mundus stones, a tank doesn't benefit from two mundus stones the way a DPS benefits from the Thief/Shadow or the Warrior or Lover Stones. Its much easier to just get that second benefit from another gear set or an enchantment. So a tank shouldn't find themselves in a situation where they need that second Mundus, and since it isn't needed, its probably not worth using a five piece gear bonus to get it.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, it depends on what you're looking for as a tank. I don't think there's even such a thing as the top of the line tank set or craftable set. It's what works for you.. or for me. Also, I don't follow around on what peeps think things are BiS. I play around with things and see what works for me or what I like. You can rig a tank in several ways; one being a pure S&B (both S&B slotted on both bars), which is more recommended for trials, vet and normal. You can also do the hybrid tank (S&B on one bar, main, preferably and dpsing skillsets on the other, such as 2H, DW, or staff.) With the hybrid tank, you're able to dps fairly good while being able to tank at the same; which is my go-to for soloing world bosses, since Morrowind patch, and just anything PvE contents, group or not (non-trial.)

For my pure S&B tank, I'm sporting the Plaque Doc and Green Pact for higher health, and because it is a DK, the Igneous Shield is giving out higher protection for allies; which, this is very suitable for a vet trial. Can't dps worth crap, but because it is a DK, the resistance is good and the other resources are workable. For the hybrid tanks.. on the dpsing set, I can use or play around with, maybe, Spriggins, Ravaging on the stamina-based one, or slap on the Julianos for the majicka-based one. You can also try Shacklebreaker, because it does offer duel perks for each piece; such as increase weapon and spell damage, stam and majicka recovery and more stamina and majicka. Yeah, I don't think the Fortified Brass from CWC is practical, even though, it offers high resistance; but that is, it is only giving resistance. You get plenty of resistance with HA and its passives along with a buff like Hardened Armor or Hurricane, for those messing around with a sorc tank. I'm not a fan of Ebon, either, and not ripping on it; but to me, there are other sets more worthwhile than giving the group just a boost of resource of 1k or so. However, hey, if it works for those and they like, it's all good.

For my pure S&B, because I look for higher hp, and I can tweak things around with the attributes and enchants to increase the stam and majicka pool, it is currently Plaque Doc and Green Pact. There is really no craftable set that can meet the higher hp demand, currently. I had fooled around with Warrior Poet, but ehh, not as good. For the hybrid ones, it is Plaque Doc for the base for the hp, then you can play around with craftable set that offers stam, weapon dam, weapon crit, etc. You can probably do Hunding's Rage as well. I mean, there aren't really that many craftable set feasible for a tank. Heck, while leveling up my tanks, I was using whatever dropped or find in chests. As long as I am able to taunt the boss and keep it at bay, buff my toon up and give some protection to allies, it worked for me.

The hybrid tank evolved for me because there are just so many toons/players running around in greater PvE land that just seemingly cannot dps or know how to use rotations. When I run into those peeps at a world boss pit, dolmen or in dungeon runs, I can easily switched between tanking and dpsing as well. Hell was the day, when you have such of a group with a pure S&B tank and taking all day for the dps just to take down a boss. Ha ha
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was using whitrestrake + hist bark for over 50 lvls and im enjoying it im just not sure if i should change it
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craftable would be Seducer, Torug's Pact, Histbark.
  • AgentofKhaoss
    AgentofKhaoss
    ✭✭
    ...... Most of these setups don't take class into account.

There are crafted sets that Wardens and Templars can use effectively (Ogrim Scales, Vampires kiss) if you think outside the box.

Tanking with a Stam Sorc is different than a Warden or a DK. Tanking with a Templar can be done with a staff or S&B.

I have been a medium armor Trials tank as a Stam Sorc, a light armor staff tank with my templar, and every kind of tank with my DK. The only thing I can't figure out is a NB tank.(I'm not very good with my NB)

I say all that to say that I've been on this game since the beginning and when I get bored doing the usual, I swap out sets and play against the metta. (Pelinals on a Hybrid warden is a monster.....)
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently running a nightblade tank that works very well, and I'm not using any of the sets listed here except fortified brass. I could never imagine using Torug's, that set just looks like straight trash to me.

Argonian
    5x Lunar Bastion
    5x Fortified Brass
    Shadowrend monster set (until I can finally complete V Mazzatun and get mighty chudan)

I play as a sap-tank, with twin shades and other utility things on my backbar. I am basically immortal, and I constantly see my shades' minor maim debuff saving my team from otherwise fatal damage.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on November 25, 2017 11:00PM
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian Dragonknight
    I use:
    5x Twice Born Star
    5x Trinimac's Valor
    2× Infernal Guardian.

I don't know if my set it terrible or not, but I generally do really well tanking even in Vtrials. (Never tried VMOL so I can't state if it would work in that trial).
    "And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently running a nightblade tank that works very well, and I'm not using any of the sets listed here except fortified brass. I could never imagine using Torug's, that set just looks like straight trash to me.

Argonian
    5x Lunar Bastion
    5x Fortified Brass
    Shadowrend monster set (until I can finally complete V Mazzatun and get mighty chudan)

I play as a sap-tank, with twin shades and other utility things on my backbar. I am basically immortal, and I constantly see my shades' minor maim debuff saving my team from otherwise fatal damage.

Well you say Torug's is trash but there is a reason its one of the favored sets of many end game Trial groups. It can give you a 100% up time on both Crusher and Weakening on the bosses and not only that but also make both enchantments stronger, this is obviously combined with Infused weapons. It adds a lot of utility to the group, both in defense and offense.

The sets you are using are all defensive, and one is only for yourself, and you are planning a 2nd with your monster set. No offensive capability and the defensive bonus of Lunar Bastion is very limited. You lack offensive utility, something that is really useful in Dungeons and Trials. In dungeons you really do not have to be tanky at all, better to go with all utility sets. And in many of the Trials you can do the same. And then on boss fights that require a bit more defense for yourself you can swap the gear out. For example I swap my Torug's or Alkosh with Plague for when I fight Olms in Veteran Asylum, but when I do dungeons I go with my offensive stuff.

As well Minor Main is more commonly applied by Heroic Slash, a skill you really should be using anyway, so Shades is over doing it, especially considering you are also wearing Shadowrend. The ultigen combined with Minor Maim makes Heroic Slash a must have skill for Tanks, making shades useless. Never use them on my Nightblade Tank.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't cleared any vet trials yet, because my experiences in Vet Hel Ra have scared me off. I've tried joining at least 5 different teams that have cleared Vet Hel Ra up to the last boss, and someone left so I filled their spot. This means I haven't even had to put up with the vet trial at all except for the last boss by himself, while the group I joined has always been there for 2+ hours.

Every single one of those groups had 6+ people dead within the first minute of the fight, myself never being one among them, regardless of my role. I'm just sitting there thinking "how on earth did you guys even get here?", and then the group never works out.

That insanity combined with the lack of worthwhile drops for veteran craglorn trials, and I just have no interest whatsoever in attempting them anymore. My time is too valuable to waste on such a masochistic project.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on November 25, 2017 11:14PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't cleared any vet trials yet, because my experiences in Vet Hel Ra have scared me off. I've tried joining at least 5 different teams that have cleared Vet Hel Ra up to the last boss, and someone left so I filled their spot. This means I haven't even had to put up with the vet trial at all except for the last boss by himself, while the group I joined has always been there for 2+ hours.

Every single one of those groups had 6+ people dead within the first minute of the fight, myself never being one among them, regardless of my role. I'm just sitting there thinking "how on earth did you guys even get here?", and then the group never works out.

That insanity combined with the lack of worthwhile drops for veteran craglorn trials, and I just have no interest whatsoever in attempting them anymore. My time is too valuable to waste on such a masochistic project.

Well raiding is not for everyone. But trust me, your dungeon runs would not suffer if you ran Torugs. I would actually highly recommend you swap your Fortified Brass for it. Might give your teammates some more DPS while still staying alive with little issue, I mean you are a Nightblade Sap tank after all.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torugs Pact.
    Tavas Favour
    Histbark

Tanks use Torug’s Pact? For real? I thought it was mainly a set used on damage dealing characters for the 2pcs. set bonus. Very interesting... I suppose ya learn something new every day.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    Torugs Pact.
    Tavas Favour
    Histbark

Tanks use Torug’s Pact? For real? I thought it was mainly a set used on damage dealing characters for the 2pcs. set bonus. Very interesting... I suppose ya learn something new every day.

That used to be the case a while back, but with the buff to it and the nerf to Sharpened and other penetration sources its buff and up time increase of Crusher became on par with that of Alkosh, and at the moment it has significantly higher up time, 98% ish if done right while Alkosh is struggling cause Synergies are a PitA, though Alkosh does have the pro of being an AoE that can effect multiple targets. As well not sure I have seen a mag DPS use Torug's 2 piece for a very long time. 3-4p bonuses with stuff like Willpower or Moondancer as well that Maelstrom/Asylum has taken that place with Monster sets as well. So lots better options than a 2p out there now.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Ebony + Torug's is also good for Templar tanks, right?
    Just want to make sure because I only have a selfish Plague doctor + Harbinger build that is not suited for anything outside of group dungeons.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.