The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

TOP tank sets

• SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »
    Why would you slot sets that you simply don't need? You don't need capped resistances for most content and if you do you can just get there with CP + possibly putting on Chudan if Bloodspawn doesnt perform very well for said content (for instance, vAS).

You dont need to wear 5 pc sets that buff your resistances, you don't need sets that only buff your max health and for the most part you definitely don't need sets that buff your sustain as a DK tank. DK passives and heavy armour are enough to take care of your sustain. So just wear sets that help your group... it's that simple.

I agree with most of this but there are some very few instances where having Plague Doctor is very good to have. Like tanking Olms in veteran Asylum for example. Having a bit higher health on him does help a lot and most of the time the main tank is too far away from everyone anyway for Ebon to really be of use, its better on the off tank in that situation. But indeed Support sets are the go to for a reason.

With any combination of 2 heavy sets youre at 47k-ish health. That's more than enough to make tanking Olms easy. Ive been running Dragonguard + Torug's in there as main tank and have 49k health with the ebon buff from the off-tank. Works perfectly fine and I basically never die unless I make a truly terrible mistake. Plague doctor isnt that valuable anymore since they nerfed Igneous shield and equilibrium, but I guess it could still be a good set for new tanks that are still getting used to content.
    you don't need sets that only buff your max health and for the most part you definitely don't need sets that buff your sustain as a DK tank. DK passives and heavy armour are enough to take care of your sustain. So just wear sets that help your group... it's that simple.

So what are good numbers - S/H/M - to be shooting for to tank vet DLC dungeons, vDSA, and normal trials?

I would say just stacking everything into health is the way to go since Morrowind. HoF, AS and the Horns of the Reach dungeons have some really hard hitting mechanics that basically force tanks to have high health and nothing that's useful for tanks scales off max magicka/stamina anymore. If youre going to be running a heavy set on the body and a medium set on jewelry (for instance, alkosh) you should be aiming for 40k-ish health. Obviously you can go much higher if you also use a heavy set on the jewelry, but it's usually not strictly necessary. Whatever magicka and stamina values you end up with after stacking health and using tri-stat food is probably good enough. Just remember orbs and shards restore your highest max stat of the 2 only so make sure you have slightly more stamina if you want the synergies to restore you stamina (or the other way around if you want magicka).

You definitely are not at 47k health with any 2 heavy sets. Not sure where you even pulled that from, but horribly inaccurate. I run an imperial DK tank, and rolling Ebon/Torugs, or any other outside of the heavy health sets (Plague, etc. I have about 35kish. If you’re rolling health enchants on your gear, you are doing something very wrong. It’s either stam glyphs, or best case, tri-glyphs on infused legs, chest, shields. All my tanking jewelry, outside of Alkosh, is healthy, and even then I don’t hit 47k.

Perhaps pull some proof out? Self-buffed, Tri-Food. I can only assume your numbers are based on healthy heavy sets, and warhorn up.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps pull some proof out? Self-buffed, Tri-Food. I can only assume your numbers are based on healthy heavy sets, and warhorn up.

9m2SI8j.jpg

Well, here's my vAS HM build.

Tri-stat glyph on the shield and 2 tri-stat glyphs on small pieces. With full health enchantments Id be over 48k. This is with Mighty Chudan though, so probably around 47k with Bloodspawn or any other monster set.

This is completely unbuffed. Torug's and Dragonguard arent exactly health stacking sets...
    Edited by Valencer on January 25, 2018 8:10AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

9m2SI8j.jpg

Tri-stat glyph on the shield and 2 tri-stat glyphs on small pieces. With full health enchantments Id be over 48k. This is with Mighty Chudan though, so probably around 47k with Bloodspawn or any other monster set.

This is completely unbuffed. Torug's and Dragonguard arent exactly health stacking sets...

Well the big difference is that you are an Imperial. Not as easy to reach those numbers with other races. Not only do they get a lot of Health, but they don't have to put much effort into getting a good enough range of Stamina either. Though obviously Imperials are one of the top races. Personally don't run one, thought not cause of min/max reason, its cause I just like Dunmers. Its not that bad, but sadly not as easy to get numbers like that as mentioned.

Also question, is that build used in PvP too? If not I am confused on the use of Expert Defender, it doesn't work in PvE.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

9m2SI8j.jpg

Well the big difference is that you are an Imperial. Not as easy to reach those numbers with other races. Not only do they get a lot of Health, but they don't have to put much effort into getting a good enough range of Stamina either. Though obviously Imperials are one of the top races. Personally don't run one, thought not cause of min/max reason, its cause I just like Dunmers. Its not that bad, but sadly not as easy to get numbers like that as mentioned.

Also question, is that build used in PvP too? If not I am confused on the use of Expert Defender, it doesn't work in PvE.

There are probably there to get Revival passive, though I'm a bit puzzled why they are not spent in Quick Recovery to better effect. AFAIK attacks from NPCs are not considered "light" or "heavy" by the game's engine. This is clearly not a PvP setup, looking how the blue CP are spent, since they are not specced for damage; also no points in Resistant.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

9m2SI8j.jpg

There are probably there to get Revival passive, though I'm a bit puzzled why they are not spent in Quick Recovery to better effect. AFAIK attacks from NPCs are not considered "light" or "heavy" by the game's engine. This is clearly not a PvP setup, looking how the blue CP are spent, since they are not specced for damage; also no points in Resistant.

Was giving benefit of the doubt but yea, it does not look like PvP and Expert Defender does indeed not work in PvE. Tested it multiple times, even specifically tested on Olms, he said it was his vAS HM build. Those 25 points are wasted.
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9m2SI8j.jpg

Fair enough.

Expert Defender is wasted, yes. At one point I tested whether it helped against Olms or not (would obviously make a big difference if it did), but it didnt and I never bothered taking them out again. Would probably be better spent in bastion or Quick Recovery... thanks for pointing that out.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you don't need sets that only buff your max health and for the most part you definitely don't need sets that buff your sustain as a DK tank. DK passives and heavy armour are enough to take care of your sustain. So just wear sets that help your group... it's that simple.

So what are good numbers - S/H/M - to be shooting for to tank vet DLC dungeons, vDSA, and normal trials?

I would say just stacking everything into health is the way to go since Morrowind. HoF, AS and the Horns of the Reach dungeons have some really hard hitting mechanics that basically force tanks to have high health and nothing that's useful for tanks scales off max magicka/stamina anymore. If youre going to be running a heavy set on the body and a medium set on jewelry (for instance, alkosh) you should be aiming for 40k-ish health. Obviously you can go much higher if you also use a heavy set on the jewelry, but it's usually not strictly necessary. Whatever magicka and stamina values you end up with after stacking health and using tri-stat food is probably good enough. Just remember orbs and shards restore your highest max stat of the 2 only so make sure you have slightly more stamina if you want the synergies to restore you stamina (or the other way around if you want magicka).

Thank you! This was helpful. I've only tanked vet 4 mans, but not vet DLC dungeons. I've seen a lot conflicting advice on the overall numbers to be shooing for. It almost feels like I'm doing something wrong if I decide to run PD, as some advice is dead-set against stacking health. Some builds run Balance, which I haven't even unlocked yet. Further, I've seen lots of tanks running around with Ebon which makes me wonder if I SHOULD be running Ebon. I've never had an issue with stamina but sometimes struggle with magicka - which could be the result of being a new tank.

Thanks again.

Well, remember the "meta" for the last year plus has been ebon/alkosh, so that's what everyone will tell you without worrying about play style, group builds, etc. As I said in my post before, both good sets to have, but IMO they are no longer meta.

I will say right now that alkosh sucks in some runs, both in some trials or dungeons because of horrible uptime, the dps would benefit more from guaranteed pen and not proc pen and their are a lot of options for guaranteed pen now. In other runs or certain strategies Alkosh can be great. So as I said, worth collecting, but no longer deserves to be the base set anymore.

CP cap has gone up several times and with diminishing returns, it frankly makes more sense for a DPS to increase their pen than dump in 30 points for +1% in something else and allow the tank to run sets that actually help them do their job since resources/heavy armor/blocking etc. have gotten some sort of nerf every single patch in the last year plus and the tanks base job gets harder.

As I said before, this isn't noticeable if you are in a top team of players that all have great dps and know the mechanics already, but if you are learning the role, or your whole team is learning the run, or you are pushing into vet or HM or trials, then you shouldn't let meta preachers push you into running stuff you maybe shouldn't be running.

As for plague dr. it got nerfed a few patches ago, so it used to be a bit stronger and worthwhile, where now, dumping points into health and having health jewelry will put you in a good enough spot. So if you are going to go for a health set, using ebon won't hurt you much vs plague and will help your team a little.

If you are a DK tank - their skills are expensive, so putting a jewelry piece in mag cost reduction and not having all three block cost will help (especially with block cost jewelry being nerfed next patch). But this is also why I recommended Seducer. My team can decide if they want almost constant igneous shield uptime of several thousand vs an extra 1k health from ebon.

In the end, the whole team is a synergy. If the tanks are forced to run builds they cannot perform in (because they need practice, because dps is low and fights taking longer, etc.) then the whole group will suffer. The healer will have to work harder helping tank live, trash could get free and chase dps slowing their damage down as they deal with it, or people have to stop dps all together to rez or the group wipes and starts over. This does come around to the tank as well, anytime you can be less of a tank and provide more to the team it will help - this might mean dropping a good tank set to run alkosh, or squeezing fire breath on your bar (if DK) to give a fire damage buff for group or any other variety of changes that will push up the overall team performance.

BUT this doesn't work in every situation, so don't let people force you into wearing "meta" builds if it's not working. You can always phase that in as time goes on.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    One set that almost never gets mentioned is specters eye, an 8 trait craftable that makes sense for a DK tank. Because they reach Spell resistance cap very easily but physical is resistance is lacking.

It gives health, Magic, physical resistance and major evasion for 3 seconds every 6 seconds you cast a spell. Sure there’s better dungeon gear, but the original topic was “best craft tank gear”

Something to do with master crafter anyways. Most I ever make are Julianos, NMG or Hundings. 8 or 9 trait sets are almost never asked for.

I’m terrible theory crafter sorry. I have been using tourgs, warrior poet and lord warden. It’s fine for any dungeon.

The real hidden gem for tanking is a skill all the way at the bottom of mages guild. Equilibrium. I know, it blows leveling mages guild, but the spell costs a little health to get back magic, and it gives Major Resistance buffs.

Specter's Eye is probably undermined by Hist Bark. Higher up time on Major Evasion as long as you blocked a lot, however with next update then maybe it will pick up more. Though Specter's is still limited to the max up time of 50%. Their 2-4 pieces are similar, though the magicka from specters is indeed better than the health recovery of Hist Bark. Still though neither of those sets are really anything used by end game tanks of both 4 and 12 man content.

They give buffs not really needed for surviving in hard content, as we have seen for a long time now, support is what will pull ahead. So the widely discussed Torug's Pact pulls ahead of both, but even a set like Alessia's Bulwark will as well. Mitigating damage from mobs and bosses if they hit the tank with a melee attack, or well a chance at the very least, 15% per attack to reduce attacker's Weapon Damage by 10% for 5 seconds. And if you are wanting Physical Resistance than this set has 2 bonuses of that. But obviously offensive support will most likely trump defensive support.
    Spectre's Eye is the magicka counterpart to Hist Bark, imo.

It's 50% evasion for doing what a magicka tank does anyway, casting magicka skills, and unlike Hist, does not require the block.

If you're blocking less, shielding more, and still getting used to things, Spectre's can have potential on a magTank. That being said, once you're comfortable enough, I'd still qualify it as a learning set.

I used it with much success when I started tanking on my Magplar.

Just understand that they are polar opposite sets for completely different playstyles.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about Brands of the Imperium for PuGs and inexperienced groups? What could it be paired with in said groups?
    Edited by The_Lex on January 27, 2018 2:55AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How about Brands of the Imperium for PuGs and inexperienced groups? What could it be paired with in said groups?

Its not that uncommon of a set and just to be all the rage before Thieves Guild. Personally never liked it though, its too unreliable, 15s cooldown on a 6s shield and harder to proc on slow but heavy hitting targets. As well it only really helps your Melee friends, ranged DPS tend to stay further away and the sets limited 8m range probably won't hit them. But its not that bad if used properly and you could just tell the ranged DPS and the healer to stand in melee range on bosses that allow it.
  • timborggrenlarsenb16_ESO
    Crafted sets is a joke in this game and a waste of time (Hope for a better future. And hopefully a future that are not destroyed even more by the item shop)- compared to any kinda reward drops.
    FFFRRREEEDDDOOOMMM!!!
    - Be Anyone.
    - Do Anything.
    - Go Anywhere.
  • timborggrenlarsenb16_ESO
    Radinyn wrote: »
    what about twice born star?

Way higher stats - And only heavy crafting set
    FFFRRREEEDDDOOOMMM!!!
    - Be Anyone.
    - Do Anything.
    - Go Anywhere.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafted sets is a joke in this game and a waste of time (Hope for a better future. And hopefully a future that are not destroyed even more by the item shop)- compared to any kinda reward drops.

Do you have a moment to talk about our group DPS savior, Torug's Pact?

Also Hist Bark is a good set when tanking adds that don't need DPS on them, like the Axes in vAA and Ozara's adds or the Lamias at the Serpent in vSO.

One overlooked set is Seducer, that can be very good in magicka intensive fights like some rounds in vDSA, where you need to chain many trash adds fast.
    Edited by Asardes on January 31, 2018 3:43PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not that uncommon of a set and just to be all the rage before Thieves Guild. Personally never liked it though, its too unreliable, 15s cooldown on a 6s shield and harder to proc on slow but heavy hitting targets. As well it only really helps your Melee friends, ranged DPS tend to stay further away and the sets limited 8m range probably won't hit them. But its not that bad if used properly and you could just tell the ranged DPS and the healer to stand in melee range on bosses that allow it.

If you don't mind me asking. I am trying to get better at tanking. I was running plague/green pact for vDSA. I am now at the point I don't need the extra health and want to help the group. In your opinion what are the best options now? Torugs plus something else? I know I will have to switch out torugs for last boss as I won't be near the group.

Also, is there any meta CP set up for tanking?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. You use to give me very reliable help in FiF when I was learning before I took a long break
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good group support set to swap out for Plague Doctor is Ebon Armory. It give you pretty much the same amount of health, plus a 1k health boost to your group members.
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good group support set to swap out for Plague Doctor is Ebon Armory. It give you pretty much the same amount of health, plus a 1k health boost to your group members.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too I'm just a little worried about my sustaining that last fight once I'm tanking 4 ads alone. Plus I will be too far away for my teammates to get the effect
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was running ebon/torug's on my dk and having a lot of magicka sustain issues (stamina is never a problem, but I could only cast a few magicka spells before running out, and regen was terrible). Because I mostly tank vet dungeon pledges, I decided torug's wasnt nearly as beneficial as it would be in a raid and dropped it for seducer. In trials you'll have more synergies and such to help your sustain, and that's where torugs may be more beneficial for improving group damage, but in 4 mans it just isnt there.

With seducer's and magicka recovery jewelry (also using atronach mundus), I have just over 2k recovery and can literally spam all of my commonly used magicka abilities (eruption, engulfing flames, elemental blockade, molten armaments, hardened armor, choking talons, unrelenting grip, igneous shield, and green dragonblood. only stamina abilities I commonly use are pierce armor and heroic slash, and being able to spam igneous shield gives you almost 1k stamina back per cast which makes stamina sustain a breeze.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowProc wrote: »

Yeah that's what I was thinking too I'm just a little worried about my sustaining that last fight once I'm tanking 4 ads alone. Plus I will be too far away for my teammates to get the effect

True. I'm not sure there any sets that will help out your group on that last fight.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Torug / Ebon / Alkosh are good in trials as main tank, because you have full support and can sustain with Mages Guild:Balance and get healed up back up, but using that in dungeons or vDSA, where there might be no healer, would get you killed pretty fast due to the healing debuff. I've found that going full magicka recovery is the best choice. Hence for those I use 5 Armor of the Seducer 5 Akaviri Dragonguard 1 Choklethorn 1 Shadowrend with maximum health + magicka food or even Whichmother's Potent Brew. A 20K magicka pool, 2K+ magicka recovery and 15% ultimate cost reduction translate to very good sustain. Also I would recommend this setup for some trials off-tanking, where you grab adds that don't necessarily need to be killed, but rather kept away. If you need to perma-block and you are not very experienced, Hist Bark instead of Seducers will still do the job.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

True. I'm not sure there any sets that will help out your group on that last fight.
    @ShadowProc, that's one 'fight' where you want the most selfish sets you can manage, because it's you, and only you.

Not trying to state the obvious here, but the method I generally go with is to have your one always-on set and then figure out what you're missing.

This could be regen, armor class, stats, etc. Once you know where the gaps are in your build/playstyle for a given encounter, you can look at the set possibilities that will let you fill in those gaps.

There are a lot of different ways to get to the same general place and have success. I've found this method to be more beneficial than following a guide line by line, because it will let you adjust for your own quirks and methods.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    5 Fortified Brass will give you Armor cap, access to Shuffle and fantastic stamina Regen. Been playing around with that a bit lately.

Aka, nothing necessary for a tank. Might be useful for beginners but not for anyone with experience.

What a ridiculous statement. Fortified Brass, Leeching and Pirate Skeleton and you’re at cap, literally unkillable in PVE (and 3v1+ in PVP) without enough Stam to block for days. Experience means thinking outside the box, not only whatever the meta is atm.

Edit: also worth rementioning Shuffle and a cheap CC break and 15-20% dodge (depending on class, Wardens get 20).

Your statement contradicts itself.

You say experience is thinking out of the box yet your thinking is the old selfish tank build of early days in the game.

As the person you quoted accurately stated the sets are nothing necessary for a tank. Thinking outside of the box would be what can I do to improve the group, not just unnecessary survival beyond what is actually needed.

It is why sets used by experienced raid groups include sets like Ebon, Torugs, Alkosh and such. The CC cheap CC break is not really needed much in PvP and for the same reason experienced tanks have not use Hist Bark they do not use Shuffle.

FYI: while with Torugs and armor buff tanks would be at the spell resist cap, they do not gear for the resistance cap. There is not been a solid build that was intended to be at the resistance cap. It is because the tans and groups think out of the box.
    5 Fortified Brass will give you Armor cap, access to Shuffle and fantastic stamina Regen. Been playing around with that a bit lately.

Aka, nothing necessary for a tank. Might be useful for beginners but not for anyone with experience.

What a ridiculous statement. Fortified Brass, Leeching and Pirate Skeleton and you’re at cap, literally unkillable in PVE (and 3v1+ in PVP) without enough Stam to block for days. Experience means thinking outside the box, not only whatever the meta is atm.

Edit: also worth rementioning Shuffle and a cheap CC break and 15-20% dodge (depending on class, Wardens get 20).

Yea, but its overkill. You don't need it. We get enough mitigation from other sources. Meta is what it is for a reason, if it was necessary you would see more tanks use it. They are not. Support sets is what we want and are looking for in current meta, cause the game design is currently allowing us to do so. There is no benefit to making yourself super tanky once you have learned how to survive without it. Sure its a lot easier to survive with those types of sets but you lose out on giving tons of benefits to your team. In dungeons its mostly whatever you happen to be wearing will work, apart from some DLC dungeons, but for Trials not having support sets mean a lot more.

Lowered support makes it so that the team has more chance for failures, be it from lowered DPS or lowered Surviability. With that much more stuff happening that can kill someone other than the tanks lowering the possibility of their deaths is of great importance, and higher DPS is one of those ways, others is stuff like Ebon giving them higher HP or Plague Doctor if you are a DK giving them stronger shields.

Having things that only protects or heals you when its clearly possibly to survive well enough without them is just a waste.

Higher group DPS comes from Warhorn. Better support comes from Ebon. You can equip/ wear both of those while sitting comfortably at cap and having better mitigation and sustain with FB. You can even add werewolf hide and run a full medium tank—the 10% HP loss from HA can come from racial passives. That’s the perfect Warhorn-bot setup. Oh and you have dodge and capped resistances without needing to slot something. Again you have a spot for utility, not necessity.

You’re still not making sense or theorycrafting well other than: “it’s not meta, I don’t like it.”

Meta comes from experimentation, it does not come from mindlessly following the status quo.

You still do not make sense, except for the last sentence.

With the last sentence you are correct. Meta comes from experimentation and it is continuous experimentation that is not held back by old ideas. You seems held back by old ideas like hitting the armor cap whereas Paul is speaking of builds that at one time were experimentation and have since been proven to work better than the old ideas of what you are holding on to.

You can wear whatever you want. None of us are stopping you. However, if you ever run vet trials with a decent group and decent raid leader they will let you know what sets they want worn. The tank can say no, ofc, but the raid leader will likely go with a different tank next time.
    Edited by idk on February 22, 2018 1:25PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The majority of mitigation comes from blocking, including various class and 1H+S passives, so reaching the resistance cap, which is ~33K, is not necessary. Pirate Skeleton on a tank may look attractive, but the healing debuff upsets much of that supposed utility. I said supposed, because buffs like Major/Minor protection are considered before block, shields and resistance mitigation respectively, together with CP, so they don't provide much on top of that. In fact tank casts Ring of Preservation in some trials more as a group buff, if they stack with the DDs, similarly to Lord Warden procs.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A probably pointless reminder to everyone coming back to this thread, the OP was asking about top crafted sets for tanks.
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadowProc, that's one 'fight' where you want the most selfish sets you can manage, because it's you, and only you.

Not trying to state the obvious here, but the method I generally go with is to have your one always-on set and then figure out what you're missing.

This could be regen, armor class, stats, etc. Once you know where the gaps are in your build/playstyle for a given encounter, you can look at the set possibilities that will let you fill in those gaps.

There are a lot of different ways to get to the same general place and have success. I've found this method to be more beneficial than following a guide line by line, because it will let you adjust for your own quirks and methods.

Thank for that insight. I have tried plague dovtor/green pact and plague doctor vampire cloak. I am having trouble when I have 4 adds sustaining.

What are BIS sets for that last fight to make it easiest. Sick of letting team down a couple if times.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank for that insight. I have tried plague dovtor/green pact and plague doctor vampire cloak. I am having trouble when I have 4 adds sustaining.

What are BIS sets for that last fight to make it easiest. Sick of letting team down a couple if times.

On that fight I run engine guardian/armor master/dragonguard/master s/b. Then use ulti on cool down for sustain. I also run Immovable there, the melee bosses can stun you with uppercut and shield bash and you can get stunned by the range too. That is what caused the most deaths for me. Also the only fight I use tired pots on. Just having engine guardian will increase your sustian by itself.
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On that fight I run engine guardian/armor master/dragonguard/master s/b. Then use ulti on cool down for sustain. I also run Immovable there, the melee bosses can stun you with uppercut and shield bash and you can get stunned by the range too. That is what caused the most deaths for me. Also the only fight I use tired pots on. Just having engine guardian will increase your sustian by itself.

OMG. Very helpful. Thank you. Immovable will be huge. Engine Guardian though? Its worth losing the ulti regen though?

I do like that Dragon Guard set though. 15% ulti reduction, mag recov, health, healing taken, I cant believe I missed that. That was made for tanking.

I am thinking maybe that, BS, and Torugs for the rest of the dungeon now. High uptime on Warhorn with Torugs debuff might really cut down on time.

Thank you for your advice.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

OMG. Very helpful. Thank you. Immovable will be huge. Engine Guardian though? Its worth losing the ulti regen though?

I do like that Dragon Guard set though. 15% ulti reduction, mag recov, health, healing taken, I cant believe I missed that. That was made for tanking.

I am thinking maybe that, BS, and Torugs for the rest of the dungeon now. High uptime on Warhorn with Torugs debuff might really cut down on time.

Engine guardian is way more regen then the few bloodspawn procs you will get. And you will be using ablities like crazy. I only use engine on that fight. Otherwise, I really like ebon, both my warden tank and my dk tank wear it all the time, except on that last boss.

The thing about immovable is that you will feel the 4.6k Stam cost, you really need to be good at timing your heavy attacks and managing your mag pool, pretty much all I use it for is gdb, immer fire and igneous shields and I cast igneous pretty much as I have the magic.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 24, 2018 1:01PM
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Engine guardian is way more regen then the few bloodspawn procs you will get. And you will be using ablities like crazy. I only use engine on that fight. Otherwise, I really like ebon, both my warden tank and my dk tank wear it all the time, except on that last boss.

The thing about immovable is that you will feel the 4.6k Stam cost, you really need to be good at timing your heavy attacks and managing your mag pool, pretty much all I use it for is gdb, immer fire and igneous shields and I cast igneous pretty much as I have the magic.

Okay. So for all the rounds of vDSA go Ebon, Dragonguard, and Blood Spawn.

Final boss Engine Guardian, Dragon Guard, and Seducer?

Thank you for your advice. I only started tanking vDSA to farm the weapons I play pvp 95% of the time. But I am really starting to enjoy it. DPS is not my thing.