The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Housing too expensive

• Vakromcuthgrand
    Nuntjako wrote: »

What is why there are smaller houses? For people who don't trade? Only traders get medium, large homes and manors? Otherwise pull out your pocket book again. You're okay with this? Incredible.

I don't understand what you want? Do you want the game to give you a large house when Homestead launches? Or did you expect to be able to buy a large house from gold accumulated from only quest rewards?

When I play ESO I complete quests and I complete maps. I'm the person that would do all the Dolmens and WB's on every map plus all the quests. Shard and Lore book hunting. Fishing/Crafting type stuff. I don't want the game to give me a large house. I want to be able to earn enough gold without having to do Dungeons/Pledges/Trials/PvP. I'm in a trading guild and I participate in selling items, but I'm in no way shape or form a "profitable trader" to the point of having several million gold to drop on a homestead. If I were to ever earn that much gold in game, it would be many years from now. I've just started playing the game in October. I cannot even fathom how there are players with that much gold or how they earned it in game. It would be nice to have better rewards for crafting writs and later master crafting writs so that those of us who craft yet don't play the market or sell to other players through chat can earn gold too. I don't know. Maybe I just don't have a clue? Maybe I should just stick to being a lowly no gold having ESO loner. Exaggeration for effect.
  • Nuntjako
    Nuntjako
    ✭✭✭

What is why there are smaller houses? For people who don't trade? Only traders get medium, large homes and manors? Otherwise pull out your pocket book again. You're okay with this? Incredible.

I don't understand what you want? Do you want the game to give you a large house when Homestead launches? Or did you expect to be able to buy a large house from gold accumulated from only quest rewards?

When I play ESO I complete quests and I complete maps. I'm the person that would do all the Dolmens and WB's on every map plus all the quests. Shard and Lore book hunting. Fishing/Crafting type stuff. I don't want the game to give me a large house. I want to be able to earn enough gold without having to do Dungeons/Pledges/Trials/PvP. I'm in a trading guild and I participate in selling items, but I'm in no way shape or form a "profitable trader" to the point of having several million gold to drop on a homestead. If I were to ever earn that much gold in game, it would be many years from now. I've just started playing the game in October. I cannot even fathom how there are players with that much gold or how they earned it in game. It would be nice to have better rewards for crafting writs and later master crafting writs so that those of us who craft yet don't play the market or sell to other players through chat can earn gold too. I don't know. Maybe I just don't have a clue? Maybe I should just stick to being a lowly no gold having ESO loner. Exaggeration for effect.

I dont "buy low and sell high". I don't play that trading game. All I do is sell. Mainly materials. And it's quite easy. If you play the game as you just described you can make a lot of gold by playing the game as you are playing it now.

While running around pick up all ressource nodes. Refine the ore, wood and silk. You can sell the tempers for a lot of gold. The alchemy mats sell aswell. If you fish you have a chance to get a perfect roe when you fillet the fish. They sell for a nice sum.

Some of the overland sets you pick up while doing delves, WBs and dolmens sell really good if it's in the right trait.

So plenty of gold to be made by you playing the game as you are already playing it.
    Edited by Nuntjako on January 10, 2017 8:56PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't play the market game, there are plenty of lower tier houses for that. Hate how some people are so entitled to believe everyone should be handed the best stuff when they don't want to put the time in to earn it. You have no idea how much time some of us put into crafting and selling, and now you believe it's not fair that you can't get our rewards. Seriously, buy a low cost house and be happy with it. If everyone had a manor, why even have low end houses? Smh.

I've put 700 hours into this game. I don't and will never have that kind of gold.

Someone might put 700 hours into vet dungeons, but it will not make them emperor. You removed the context of which activity I was referring to with regards to putting in time. There's a player who sits in Rawl zone chat for hours every day. He's also putting time in. Please pay attention to context. If you put 700 hours into playing the market and you don't have 5 million or more in wealth, then you must be giving stuff away for free.

Caps so people understand:
    PLAYING THE MARKET IS PART OF THE GAME. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PARTICIPATE, THATS NO ONES FAULT BUT YOUR OWN.

And besides the point above, there are plenty of houses for players who choose not to play the market. This entitlement to the best housing is purely ego, which unlike the PvP player who might feel entitled to a monster helm just for playing PvP, you can't raise any point about these houses giving any kind of advantage at all. They are cosmetic and people need to get over it. Some of us played the market game and deserve to have nice rewards for it. Others are just jealous that they didn't, and want to spoil it for everyone.

[Snip]
    [Edited to remove baiting comment.]

No, I don't feel entitled to anything. I do agree there should be a reward for your effort. However, I believe there should also be a reward for mine. Just because our time is spent differently, it's still time. Your time is valuable and so is mine. How many people enjoy and participate in 100% of the content of the MMO's they play? Most people fall into niche's of an MMO. There's the PvP'rs and the Dungeon crawlers and people like yourself who play the market and/or craft. All I'm saying is that I will never play the market in this game. I am an ESO + sub. I open my wallet. I've spent hours in the game. I want access to the nicer homes without having to open my wallet again and without having to play the market. That's all I'm saying. If that makes me an entitled player of this game I don't understand that train of thought at all.

That's why there are smaller houses.

You do realise there's no time limit on this right? It's not like you have to buy a house on the day the patch is released or you never get one. All anyone needs to afford any house in the game is enough time to save up gold, and the houses aren't going anywhere so we've all got plenty of time. It will just take some people longer than others.

I'm in a very similar situation to you. My highest level character is level 27, I have about 7,000 gold in-game and almost all of it came from quests and selling items I got while doing quests to NPCs. The only things I tend to sell to other players are spare recipes, and most of them are worth less than 100g.

But I've decided I want a house that costs 325,000 (and later on another one that costs 40,000).

I don't see any problem with this. Will I get it as soon as housing is released? Of course not. I probably won't get it for at least a few months. But the same is true of a lot of things I'm working on in this game, like training up all the crafting skills and learning all the traits. The houses aren't going anywhere and the prices won't change, so it's just a matter of saving up - just like buying bank space or horses, but on a longer time scale.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't play the market game, there are plenty of lower tier houses for that. Hate how some people are so entitled to believe everyone should be handed the best stuff when they don't want to put the time in to earn it. You have no idea how much time some of us put into crafting and selling, and now you believe it's not fair that you can't get our rewards. Seriously, buy a low cost house and be happy with it. If everyone had a manor, why even have low end houses? Smh.

I've put 700 hours into this game. I don't and will never have that kind of gold.

Someone might put 700 hours into vet dungeons, but it will not make them emperor. You removed the context of which activity I was referring to with regards to putting in time. There's a player who sits in Rawl zone chat for hours every day. He's also putting time in. Please pay attention to context. If you put 700 hours into playing the market and you don't have 5 million or more in wealth, then you must be giving stuff away for free.

Caps so people understand:
    PLAYING THE MARKET IS PART OF THE GAME. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PARTICIPATE, THATS NO ONES FAULT BUT YOUR OWN.

And besides the point above, there are plenty of houses for players who choose not to play the market. This entitlement to the best housing is purely ego, which unlike the PvP player who might feel entitled to a monster helm just for playing PvP, you can't raise any point about these houses giving any kind of advantage at all. They are cosmetic and people need to get over it. Some of us played the market game and deserve to have nice rewards for it. Others are just jealous that they didn't, and want to spoil it for everyone.

[Snip]
    [Edited to remove baiting comment.]

No, I don't feel entitled to anything. I do agree there should be a reward for your effort. However, I believe there should also be a reward for mine. Just because our time is spent differently, it's still time. Your time is valuable and so is mine. How many people enjoy and participate in 100% of the content of the MMO's they play? Most people fall into niche's of an MMO. There's the PvP'rs and the Dungeon crawlers and people like yourself who play the market and/or craft. All I'm saying is that I will never play the market in this game. I am an ESO + sub. I open my wallet. I've spent hours in the game. I want access to the nicer homes without having to open my wallet again and without having to play the market. That's all I'm saying. If that makes me an entitled player of this game I don't understand that train of thought at all.

You have plenty of options, yet you choose none of them.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I did do "trading" a while ago, I stopped shortly after I got my first million. But now I just pick up every mat that I find when I'm out and about, and almost always stay off the horse so I don't miss stuff. Each night I do the writs and guild dailies, and if I have time I have left I go pick off some missing achievements (e.g., still missing some Crag stuff) or do some PvP. I don't really do dungeons, pledges, or trials. PvP is probably more of a loss for me as I haven't done anything to convert AP to gold. Before I log off each night I decon, vendor, and list in the guild store (priced to sell in ~1 day) whatever I don't need to keep. On average that's been putting close to half a million a month in the bank - which is a bit more than half the gross sales. So accumulating gold isn't too hard, but it does require some attention and thriftiness (and support for the guild that is enabling you to sell so efficiently).
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »

For some people, playing the economy is playing the game and becoming a better player.
    For the same reason that the economy players might choose not to also chase flawless conqueror... the people whose primary interest is in combat may well choose not to play the trading game. They can be entirely different approaches to ESO, and both are valid.

So why not get a free manor if you get flawless conqueror? Or some other combat based achievement? I suspect that its for the same reason that some items are only available through trials, or dungeons, or from IC... they are a feature of the part of the game they were designed for.

There are a range of properties available for a range of prices.On top of that, everyone can get one for free (the inn room). Are the bigger ones geared towards the people who spent time capitalising on the guild traders (or other activities) to make money? Yep. Why? Because they did spent the time to make that money.

Not everyone is going to be able to buy the largest houses in a reasonable amount of time (although as long as their activities make a net profit it remains a possibility), and that is isn't necessarily a bad thing to my mind. Everyone should be able to afford something, and with prices starting from 11K that is certainly true, and there is still room for people to aspire to bigger and bigger properties if that is of interest to them (3.785M).

At the moment, I am one of the people that criticises ZOS pretty heavily... but even now I have to give credit where it is due, and the gold costs for these houses are the best decision I have seen them make for a long time.

And for other people it's not. So what's your point? That it's a "economics"-oriented achievement? I would be okay with that because I do accept that for someone trading can be fun. But in that case, why are these achievements can be bought for crowns? And again, I still say that the amount of gold is unreasonable for most players. Most players can complete any pve content, getting emperor doesn't take longer than a month. But here, we are looking at maybe years for some players. I started trading too even though it's not fun for me and feels like a freaking chore. But I don't make anywhere close to millions by just flipping things. I'd need to go grind something, which is again, not playing the game. It's not even trading. It's grinding and selling.

I agree with most of the post otherwise. AND I wouldn't mind the prices if achievement weren't locked behind them AND if you couldn't buy them for crowns. Change the achievement - make the title (Count) require, say, 10 houses of any size. But asking for 10 million gold or a couple hundred of dollars is not cool.
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    No I don't.

You cannot get flawless conqueror without practice, patience and dedication to the task at the expense of other things in the game. You also have to put time (or gold) into either farming, buying or making the right armour and weapons - you usually won't do it using randomly dropped unmatched pieces of gear you pick up during normal end to end game play.
    The same can be said for getting 3.8 mil in gold, it cannot be done without sacrificing other aspect/s of the game to focus on reaching this specific goal. In place of "farm gold, scan stores,...trade, trade trade" to make gold, we just substitute, "farm gear, level up the right skill lines, ...practice, practice, practice" to get flawless conqueror.

I will never get flawless conqueror because of my lack of ability, limited attention span and poor internet connections leading to slow ping rate and lag. So to me it is actually easier to get enough gold to buy a Manor house than it is to beat vMSA, with or without dying.

And while flawless conqueror might make you a better solo combatant, it can be put up for debate about it making you a better player. Many a flawless conqueror has had problems coming back to group content where they have to work with a group of other randomly skilled players towards a common goal.

Some people would say that it also takes skill to be a good merchant and gold maker. Different strokes for different folks - we have different pleasures in the game and the games provides us with a variety of things to do.

Again, getting the conqueror requires practice PLAYING YOU CHARACTER and PLAYING ESO. Making that gold has nothing to do with either of them. IT's just a coincidence that you're doing it in eso and are using one of your characters (which are totally interchangeable).

And most importantly - you're looking at completely different amounts of time. Like, orders of magnitude different! Making that gold takes absolutely unreasonable amount of time. It's absolutely normal that someone likes trading. But anyone can get flawless conqueror reasonably fast, while playing every other aspect of the game as well. But getting 10million gold? And then some not to be completely broke? That's too much time.

And how ironic or hypocrite is that? Different strokes for different folks, you say? Yet, you acknowledge folks who like trading and collecting gold, but don't acknowledge folks who aim to collect all the achievements.

p.s. No, never seen any flawless conqueror having troubles changing builds for group content.

Erm, why exactly would you want to buy all the houses?

To get all the achievements. That's what shows that you completed some content for a lot of us.
    code65536 wrote: »
    You don't need to be a dedicated trader.
    When I started playing in 2015, I was very much into the economic game. At one point, I spent almost all my time inside the bank, and I spent a lot of time buying underpriced items to sell.

And then a few things happened: First, I looked at my pile of gold (at the time, it was around 5 million) and realized that I had more gold than I could use. Second, I became the GM of a trading guild after the original GM quit the game (being a trade guild GM actually makes you poorer--it's a giant time and resource sink, and every other GM I know would be richer if they didn't have such an in-game job). And third, I joined an endgame PvE guild and got involved in trials.

So, by the time 2016 started, I had basically stopped trading. I simply had neither the time nor interest for it. I no longer bought items to flip. The only things that I sold were the things that I looted from normal day-to-day gameplay and things that I needed to get rid of for space reasons. Granted, some of those things are worth quite a lot--I got a third of a million for a gold Warlock ring that I got from vAA, for example. Oh, and after Craft Bags eliminated the need to offload mats to save space, I completely stopped selling mats.

So. I don't buy things to flip. I don't scan guild store prices. I don't even have MM installed any more. I sell only what I get from the stuff I normally do (and I still hoard a lot--I have about a couple dozen gold BoE jewelry pieces that I decided to keep instead of selling). And despite all that, I'm now sitting on a personal stash of around 15 million--I gained about 10 million over the last year. A large part of that is that I rarely spend the gold that I get. If I need a motif set, I almost always farm it myself (though for some of the grindier sets like Yokudan, I buy instead). If I need gold improvement mats, I use the ones that I acquire myself through writs and farming. If I needed more potions for a night of vMoL, I'd go run laps in Coldharbor before start time. I use purple Ebon jewelry instead of gold ones. Etc.

And when Homestead launches, I plan to buy just the large Redguard home in Stros M'Kai because aesthetically it's by far my favorite (honestly, I'm surprised that place doesn't cost 3 million) and won't waste my gold on the manors even though I could afford them.

In short, gold is easy to accumulate in this game, as long as you have the discipline to not blow it all as soon as you get it.

Not so fast. See how you mention farming and stuff? How many hours per week/day would you spend doing that? My play time is pretty limited, and I can't afford to spend it on something boring like that. I have no idea how you can make 1mil per months roughly like that. I also sell what I loot, it's nowhere near 1mil monthly given that all dungeon loot is bound. What am I supposed to sell? That's the thing - I would need to stop playing the game and instead grind/farm to have things to sell for 1 million monthly.

And even if then - 1 year to farm the title/achievement. How is that reasonable? The Flawless Conqueror doesn't take anywhere near that. Emperor doesn't take anywhere near that. And once again, I would have no issues if there were no achievements/titles involved. I myself would be happy with a smaller house. (Btw, I love stros m'kai and desert/redguard zones myself :) ). And yes, I'm a multimillionaire myself, because I don't spend much either. But I'm not only thinking about myself.

cyberjanet wrote: »
    You can get get a really nice little place for 11,000 gold. You can also get a really nice slightly bigger place for around 60,000 gold. It's gonna take a while to get them furnished and looking just the way you want, but that's all part of the fun. Even the houses at around 300,000 gold are really nice and offer a lot of scope.

All these people complaining about the price of manors and stuff. Why exactly do you want a place that big??? As far as I can see, those are designed for large groups, like guilds. I would still like to have my guild home separate from my own private home, as I feel I'm going to to lose a lot of the fun in developing a place of my own if I go out and get a place for the guild which then has to be my primary residence.

We don't want the place so big, we want achievements/titles to be reasonable to get. Yes, some of us are after achievements and that's playing the game for us = getting them. I personally would have no issues with prices if titles/achievements were changed. Say, "Lord" - 5 houses in DC zones (and same for AD and EP equivalents) and "Count" having all of them. Those 5 houses can be required to include Large homes (or whatever they are called that cost 1 million). But 10 million gold for an achievement is absolutely unreasonable, sorry.
    i agreed if you wont/cant (learn) how to trade in ESO, you cant afford big houses

enjoy, for poor players - poor rewards
    all fair like in real life

If we wanted to deal with crap of real life, we would spend more time there and less time and money in a computer game. The whole point of escaping to a fantasy world is to escape from real life for a little while and actually enjoy time spent, not being forced to do things like in real life.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Less than 90m a day, never fire a shot, never interavt with pc directly or indirectly i can pull down 350k a week.

That mean between today and homestead that alone will get me in the range of the bigger 1.25m housew, not counting the gold i have on hand now.

See8ng their prices and allowing for as much to furnish as to buy... they have made housing a good multi-leveled addition.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• bbman1214
    bbman1214
    ✭✭
    I have not read any of the posts only the topic title and I think all the manor homes are not worth it due to their small size. I do think some of the large race homes are nice such as the wood elf one which only costs 780k gold which is fairly cheap and should probably only take a few days of saving up gold to get.

The manor homes are overpriced for what you do get!

The EP manor is incredibly small and is a generic replica of all the other Dunmer houses you can find in zones. There is very little outdoor space compared to other houses

The DC is also small but at least has some room outdoors and a small amount more indoors then the EP manor and it also has a nice view of the ocean (if you care)

The only manor house that is worth it imo is the AD house due to the fact that there is a considerable amount more outdoor area, the indoor area is small but the outside has a lot more space then any other manor and also has a river going through the center of the property!

I wouldn't buy any manor house
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Artis I'm sure that for a lot of people, 11 million gold is a lot easier to get than Flawless or Emperor. I know a lot of people who'd make a million or more a week. Sure, most don't make that much. But by my estimates, there are more people like that than there are Flawless Conquerors or Emperors. Just because it's hard for you doesn't mean it's hard for everyone. There are people who play the economic game and who enjoy playing the economic game. It's not any more valid or invalid than PvP or group PvE.

But why compare Count(ess) to Flawless? Why not compare it to Grand Overlord? I'm pretty sure most people would agree that Count(ess) is a stroll in the park compared to that.

(Also, it is so deliciously ironic that the person who's fine with vMA RNG and says that they are "supposed to be rare" is now complaining about the rarity of manors. LOL. At least this grind has well-defined duration and endpoint unlike vMA weapons.)
    Edited by code65536 on January 11, 2017 2:12PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Artis I'm sure that for a lot of people, 11 million gold is a lot easier to get than Flawless or Emperor. I know a lot of people who'd make a million or more a week. Sure, most don't make that much. But by my estimates, there are more people like that than there are Flawless Conquerors or Emperors. Just because it's hard for you doesn't mean it's hard for everyone. There are people who play the economic game and who enjoy playing the economic game. It's not any more valid or invalid than PvP or group PvE.

But why compare Count(ess) to Flawless? Why not compare it to Grand Overlord? I'm pretty sure most people would agree that Count(ess) is a stroll in the park compared to that.

(Also, it is so deliciously ironic that the person who's fine with vMA RNG and says that they are "supposed to be rare" is now complaining about the rarity of manors. LOL. At least this grind has well-defined duration and endpoint unlike vMA weapons.)

Yes if we consider it as something like Grand Overlord and Grand Overlord requires even more time, I guess I admit it's okay.

A million or more a week requires one of the 2 things - spending a lot of time grinding (so, not playing the game) or spending a lot of time trading to flip things (like it was a part-time job, so not playing the game really either). I enjoy playing the economic game as one of the aspects, not as the only aspect I have to play for years just to get those things.

There's nothing ironic. IF you want those titles to be rare, then don't sell them for crowns. And if you give a fast way to get them, then they shouldn't be THAT painful to get by in-game means. Would you say, that selling vMA weapons for crowns is a good solution?

Again, if those titles aren't tied to achievements or achievements are reworked, for example like I suggested above, then I'm completely fine with the rest.

But how can you support such system? The fact that the titles can be bought with crowns DEVALUES them and makes them useless for people who "enjoy playing the economic game"! Don't you see it? The title won't show that one played the economic game because he could've gotten it for crowns!
    Edited by Artis on January 11, 2017 7:07PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artis wrote: »

Yes if we consider it as something like Grand Overlord and Grand Overlord requires even more time, I guess I admit it's okay.

A million or more a week requires one of the 2 things - spending a lot of time grinding (so, not playing the game) or spending a lot of time trading to flip things (like it was a part-time job, so not playing the game really either). I enjoy playing the economic game as one of the aspects, not as the only aspect I have to play for years just to get those things.

There's nothing ironic. IF you want those titles to be rare, then don't sell them for crowns. And if you give a fast way to get them, then they shouldn't be THAT painful to get by in-game means. Would you say, that selling vMA weapons for crowns is a good solution?

Again, if those titles aren't tied to achievements or achievements are reworked, for example like I suggested above, then I'm completely fine with the rest.

And who are you to dictate what constitutes "playing the game"? Some people actually enjoy playing the in-game market. Yes, these sorts of people exist, and they're the reason why there's an entire genre of economic simulation games out in the market.

Just because you don't think that it's playing the game (and I would concur), doesn't make it any less valid for those who do. And if you hang out in trade guilds long enough, you'll find that there are many who enjoy this sort of gameplay.

And unlike vMA weapons, housing doesn't increase your power and there is a definite endpoint with measurable, predictable progress. So, yes, it still bewilders me to no end that you defend absurdly atrocious vMA loot system and then turn around and cry about something that is far less malignant.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing is very expensive considering it's limitations. If they want to charge 4 million for a home, that home should offer UTILITY. These don't....very much...yet.

Furthermore, the price to purchase is just the beginning. Just wait until the general population starts trying to furnish these homes. There will probably be a new post complaining about the gold sink per hour.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And who are you to dictate what constitutes "playing the game"? Some people actually enjoy playing the in-game market. Yes, these sorts of people exist, and they're the reason why there's an entire genre of economic simulation games out in the market.

Just because you don't think that it's playing the game (and I would concur), doesn't make it any less valid for those who do. And if you hang out in trade guilds long enough, you'll find that there are many who enjoy this sort of gameplay.

And unlike vMA weapons, housing doesn't increase your power and there is a definite endpoint with measurable, predictable progress. So, yes, it still bewilders me to no end that you defend absurdly atrocious vMA loot system and then turn around and cry about something that is far less malignant.

Yes I admit that some people might enjoy that and deserve to have some achievements for them. However, the fact that they can be bought for crowns ruins the purpose, don't you see?

And your last paragraph contradicts everything you said before. Who are you to dictate what is more or less malignant? Just because something doesn't increase your combat power, it doesn't mean that players don't complete/don't play the achievements game. Or you admit that the economics game is valid but the achievement game is not? Just like PvE/PvP tops have their leaderboards and compete there or work towards getting a certain score, some of players work towards getting some achievements(and that implies in-game means usually, so buying it with money is not an option). It's unfair that they can be bought for crowns, but are so painful to get in game. Or are you saying it is?
    And no, the progress is not measurable. Sometimes another player will scan the same stores just 5 minutes before you come there and you won't get any deals, sometimes someone will start undercutting and you won't sell anything.
  • cellobuddy
    cellobuddy
    ✭✭✭

Yes I admit that some people might enjoy that and deserve to have some achievements for them. However, the fact that they can be bought for crowns ruins the purpose, don't you see?

And your last paragraph contradicts everything you said before. Who are you to dictate what is more or less malignant? Just because something doesn't increase your combat power, it doesn't mean that players don't complete/don't play the achievements game. Or you admit that the economics game is valid but the achievement game is not? Just like PvE/PvP tops have their leaderboards and compete there or work towards getting a certain score, some of players work towards getting some achievements(and that implies in-game means usually, so buying it with money is not an option). It's unfair that they can be bought for crowns, but are so painful to get in game. Or are you saying it is?
    And no, the progress is not measurable. Sometimes another player will scan the same stores just 5 minutes before you come there and you won't get any deals, sometimes someone will start undercutting and you won't sell anything.

There are achievements for motifs that can be bought in the crown store. Those actually total up to more achievement points than the fancy manor achievement does if that's your measure of success in the game. There are achievements that are only available for doing content locked behind DLCs. Have to spend real money(crowns or sub) to get those. As far as malignancy goes, someone buying a house w/ crowns instead of gold doesn't affect anyone negatively. It's not as if it makes it harder for you to get the achievement.
    PC NA
    Capped CP
    Breton Magsorc - Cellobuddy
    Argonian Magplar - Cellobuddyheals
    Altmer Magblade - Cellobuddysteals
    Dunmer MagDK - Cellobuddyburns
    Orsimer Stamsorc - Cellobuddyruns
    Redguard Stamplar - Cellobuddyjabs
    Khajiit StamDK - Cellobuddyslices
    Bosmer Stamblade - Cellobuddysnipes
    Altmer Magplar - Cellobuddybeams
    Nord DK - Cellobuddytanks
    Breton Magden - Cellobuddylistens
    Orsimer Stamden - Cellobuddyprotects
    Argonian Tankden - Cellobuddypaintswithwind

Not the best by any means, but I get the job done.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cellobuddy wrote: »
    There are achievements for motifs that can be bought in the crown store. Those actually total up to more achievement points than the fancy manor achievement does if that's your measure of success in the game. There are achievements that are only available for doing content locked behind DLCs. Have to spend real money(crowns or sub) to get those. As far as malignancy goes, someone buying a house w/ crowns instead of gold doesn't affect anyone negatively. It's not as if it makes it harder for you to get the achievement.

And it's not like those are a good idea. And well buying a house with crowns does affect those very people who enjoy playing the economic game and who you think housing is supposed to cater to.

Would score boosters be acceptable then? I mean, they only would affect your score right? And it exists in vacuum and doesn't affect others? So would it be okay if you get an item that increases your trial score by 150% for example? Or by 1%? It doesn't affect anyone,too, just your own score.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Housing is very expensive considering it's limitations. If they want to charge 4 million for a home, that home should offer UTILITY. These don't....very much...yet.

Furthermore, the price to purchase is just the beginning. Just wait until the general population starts trying to furnish these homes. There will probably be a new post complaining about the gold sink per hour.

I think utility is something they should be adding.

They did say a banker and merchant could be placed so that's kinda handy.

However if they want people to spend time in their houses, enjoy placing furniture (at whatever the cost...) and building absolutely unique structures.

Perhaps add enlightenment while you're inside your home you now gain 5k enlightenment per 10 minutes while you're inside your home doesn't persist when you're offline?

Any way just more ideas that would get people more involved... even though I would assume if they did add certain buffs like this I would think people would just rubber hand their controllers/keyboards to remain inside...

PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• cellobuddy
    cellobuddy
    ✭✭✭

And it's not like those are a good idea. And well buying a house with crowns does affect those very people who enjoy playing the economic game and who you think housing is supposed to cater to.

Would score boosters be acceptable then? I mean, they only would affect your score right? And it exists in vacuum and doesn't affect others? So would it be okay if you get an item that increases your trial score by 150% for example? Or by 1%? It doesn't affect anyone,too, just your own score.

You compete for scores. Houses are completely independent. apples and oranges. Also, elaborate on that second sentence, please. How does it affect them if someone else buys a house with crowns?
    Edited by cellobuddy on January 11, 2017 10:53PM
    PC NA
    Capped CP
    Breton Magsorc - Cellobuddy
    Argonian Magplar - Cellobuddyheals
    Altmer Magblade - Cellobuddysteals
    Dunmer MagDK - Cellobuddyburns
    Orsimer Stamsorc - Cellobuddyruns
    Redguard Stamplar - Cellobuddyjabs
    Khajiit StamDK - Cellobuddyslices
    Bosmer Stamblade - Cellobuddysnipes
    Altmer Magplar - Cellobuddybeams
    Nord DK - Cellobuddytanks
    Breton Magden - Cellobuddylistens
    Orsimer Stamden - Cellobuddyprotects
    Argonian Tankden - Cellobuddypaintswithwind

Not the best by any means, but I get the job done.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You compete for scores. Houses are completely independent. apples and oranges.

Everything you do in a city, you should be able to do in your house. That is the utility they need. Why buy crafting stations if you still have to go to town to repair? Cheaper to just hit the town unless you can duplicate all town functionality in your house. Here are some things they missed.
    • Duplicating any town merchant (grocer, blacksmith, enchanter, etc)
    • Gear repair (or full merchant)
    • Duplicating writ boards and writ turn in spots.
    • Accessing guild banks and guild stores
    • Respec Shrines

If you are dropping 1.5 million for a house and you still have to horse to town to turn in writs like a peasant, what is the point of that?
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You compete for scores. Houses are completely independent. apples and oranges. Also, elaborate on that second sentence, please. How does it affect them if someone else buys a house with crowns?

And some players compete for getting achievement scores and/or rare (difficult to get) achievements. Or will you say that our game is meaningless and yours is meaningful? But who are you to judge? I can say that your leaderboard score is just imaginary score too (especially since it gets reset every now and then) while my achievements will stay with me forever (unless they got reset too for some reason which happened to me XD T_T).

What I mean is that similarly to score - you work hard, work on your DPS and getting buff sets for healers etc, but somebody buys a score booster (assuming they are a thing) and gets the same score or higher faster than you. And you need to train more to catch up. Similarly, people need to farm gold etc but somebody can just spend crowns and have the title way faster than them. It's unfair to those who take pride in working for their achievements/titles in game, without shortcuts and exploits. I say, either remove the option to get those titles in crowns, or make those titles much easier to get in game (to be in line with their meaninglessness).

Btw, I still don't know, are there achievements associated with manors that have titles as rewards or you just get a title for a house and there are no achievements involved? One more option is to change the former to the latter (in case the former is there).
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The upfront cost is fine.

The furnishing costs are what will bankrupt you.
    Argonian forever
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a purple Spriggan ring for 7k
    Turned it around for 25k.

Money is mindlessly earned in this game.
    Argonian forever
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pricing is perfectly fine.

I was sitting at 500k gold last week and wondering which small or medium home to buy. Then I decided to give farming a try to see if I could get 1.3 million gold by patch day. One week later (playing only a few hours a day), and I already hit my target. It's ridiculously easy to make money in this game if you know what you're doing.

As the poster above said, furnishing costs are what will sink you. Furnishing a large home will easily cost as much as the house itself.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 13, 2017 1:08AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sitting at 500k gold last week and wondering which small or medium home to buy. Then I decided to give farming a try to see if I could get 1.3 million gold by patch day. One week later (playing only a few hours a day), and I already hit my target. It's ridiculously easy to make money in this game if you know what you're doing.

As the poster above said, furnishing costs are what will sink you. Furnishing a large home will easily cost as much as the house itself.

My opinion is that housing is too expensive for what you get.

Housing is not a limited resource, so there is really no reason to purchase a house until they come back and add to the system and make it more useful. That should be some time in 2018 or 2019, if we are lucky.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is that housing is too expensive for what you get.

Housing is not a limited resource, so there is really no reason to purchase a house until they come back and add to the system and make it more useful. That should be some time in 2018 or 2019, if we are lucky.

Houses already have all the functionality I need (decon stations, merchant/banker, and DPS test dummy). Decorating the house should be a fun little distraction. I'm hoping that's what it actually ends up being, because I'm not about to grind for house furnishings too (it's enough that we need to grind hundreds of hours for BiS gear).

Right now, the basic crafting tables and test dummy will likely be selling for 100k+ each on guild traders. Vanity furnishings will be just as expensive since you'll need lots of them.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 13, 2017 3:55AM
  • mlstevens42_ESO
    mlstevens42_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The prices for the houses are fine. It is not difficult to make money as many have pointed out. Sure some of the manors look nice but other then achievements serve no real purpose that I can see other then something to show off. Some of the large houses are just as nice. Can think of three and do not cost nearly as much as a manor. For the price of the manor could almost if not buy all three. Those being the forsaken place...the mathiisen place and the palace on stros m kai. For prestige I guess one might get the manors...and prestige is costly.

As far as some not having enough to purchase a big house...who says everyone needs a big house. They do have options to obtain one through crowns or through doing the ingame stuff sure but no one really needs a house at all let alone the largest ones in game.

Further I might add some people do play the game by just making mounds of gold by selling items. Perhaps they can not for some reason handle pvp or dungeon running at top end. Perhaps they choose to do this because it what they enjoy. They chose to play a certain way and now they have gold to buy houses with. Some chose to play end game dungeons trials and have all monsters masks in all the right traits all vma weapons they want and all gold jewelry by the choices they made. Those that chose pvp have titles and ap and so on and some chose a bit of all of those things. You can not fault ZOS for someone deciding they didn't want to save gold or go out and make gold in order to get the housing they desire. I might also remind people this is not a short term must have on day one or you lose out deal. You will still be able to purchase the places at some later date when you have acquired the needful amount of gold/crowns or other requirements that might be needful.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...My play time is pretty limited, ...

... but I want to have all achievements.

Well, I don't have a large salary, but I want to own every brand of car, including Lamborghini.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • castigulaub17_ESO

It is not ridiculously easy for everyone to make that much money so fast. Its just not. You represent a very small part, yet very very loud part of the community. The majority of players do not have access to that kind of gold. Making houses more affordable helps everyone. Making them more expensive helps you, and only you. Making them affordable hurts no one, and has no effect on your gameplay.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dubhliam wrote: »

Well, I don't have a large salary, but I want to own every brand of car, including Lamborghini.
    Dubhliam wrote: »

Lol bringing real life logic to a game is illogical itself....
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not ridiculously easy for everyone to make that much money so fast. Its just not. You represent a very small part, yet very very loud part of the community. The majority of players do not have access to that kind of gold. Making houses more affordable helps everyone. Making them more expensive helps you, and only you. Making them affordable hurts no one, and has no effect on your gameplay.

I still don't see a problem here. If you don't think you can get enough gold to buy a large house then you buy a medium or small one, or an apartment. If even the 11,000g needed for an apartment seems like too much you can use the free inn rooms.

A lot of people in this topic are acting as in the 3 manors, or maybe the manors and the large houses are your only option and if you can't afford a million gold or more you're losing out. That's not the case at all.

(And I say this as someone who is trying to convince myself to settle for one of the smaller medium houses because the one I want costs 325,000 and even that is way beyond what I've ever had before or can imagine saving up. But I want lots of outside space and don't like the bosmer or argonian ones, so I've got to save up.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a list of the Crown Store prices anywhere?