The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Housing too expensive

ereboz
ereboz
✭✭✭✭
The best houses obviously need to cost a bit, but 3 mil gold? I have 60k on a good day, how the hell are normal people that don't play 100+ hours a week supposed to come up with that kind of gold?
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea houses are expensive. Welcome to the world.
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not, unless you work for it. If you want a large house, clearly you need more gold.

There's the free apt, and a few cheap houses though.

Not everyone in the game can afford mansions, sorry...
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing price was one of the few things they got right in this patch, i have no way to buy any of the manors and am fine with it
    Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
    *** kitty AD Stamblade
    Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
    agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
    Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
    Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
    Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^^^ This.

I looked over all of the prices carefully. My only response: "Well, they got that right."

Mansions aren't supposed to be affordable for all without effort. They are supposed to be luxurious and a sign of wealth and status. Done and done.
  • GeneralFlogger
    GeneralFlogger
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an issue with the pricing. I don't get why I won't have additional storage space after I buy my almost 4mil gold DC castle?
  • UntrustedExistenz
    UntrustedExistenz
    ✭✭✭
    When you'll buy manor, you will get a title ("Lord" etc) and "Count"when all 3 are obtained. All players will know who is from pleb and who from aristocracy.
    Sadly I'm too poor to buy even one manor. See you on Plebs Gathering 2017 at inn at the docks (I heard there is cheapest wine there).
    <PC EU>
    Press "F" to pay respect to our fallen megalulserver.
  • mrs_gibbs
    mrs_gibbs
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very happy with the house prices. Something for everyone.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel you OP i can only afford 2 of them at the moment,
    im gonna have to grind from now until it goes live so i can get my duchess title!
  • EnviousStruggle
    EnviousStruggle
    ✭✭✭
    ereboz wrote: »
    how the hell are normal people that don't play 100+ hours a week supposed to come up with that kind of gold?

for such people there is only one way - buy gold for cash
    but its illegal

if you wont play much trade much and grind much, you will not earn gold for manors in legit ways
    thats all
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most I've ever had at any one point, was 115k. It would take me a long long time to get that much gold, with the amount of time I put into the game. And that's perfectly fine. I'll live in my pleb house and dream of a bigger toilet.

The prices are fine.
    Manors should be darn expensive.
  • Pixel_Zealot
    Pixel_Zealot
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was just wondering, if they can charge 3mil for a manor.

Why not charge users 50k for a storage chest that can be added to your home?
    Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Today, after doing the solo Guild quests and Holiday quests every day for a week or more I have hit a new gold high for me - 275k.

I don't see much wrong with the housing prices to be honest. I have 4 Strongolds on SWtOR and I doubt I'll ever have enough decorations to fill them all. So starting small here will be no bad thing IMO.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish housing was more expensive. 3 million for the mansions means pretty much everyone is going to have mansions. That's sad. I was hoping for around 10 million. Making it much more exclusive like it should be.
    PC NA
    @SkruDe
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just buy them in crowns.

Or look at an everage price of a "manor" in real life.

PS: Hundreds of players already have the amount of gold needed, just look at Merchant addons.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol most of them are cheaper than mothers sorrow swords or the remaining gold Ebon rings.

Aetheric cipher for 4m or the largest house. ... hmmmmmm
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Housing prices are spot on.

~250-300k for a medium house is very manageable

~1.2mil for a large house is fine. A lot of people take great pride in accumulating wealth, and now they have something to show for it.

~3mil for the biggest properties. Immediately I thought of these as "guild halls" that will be a group effort.
    Edited by Sallington on January 4, 2017 2:46PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how the hell are normal people that don't play 100+ hours a week supposed to come up with that kind of gold?

but its illegal

if you wont play much trade much and grind much, you will not earn gold for manors in legit ways
    thats all

Nope, they can be bought with crowns as well, and that is not illegal/against the TOS.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best houses obviously need to cost a bit, but 3 mil gold? I have 60k on a good day, how the hell are normal people that don't play 100+ hours a week supposed to come up with that kind of gold?

There are a variety of prices that seem to cover a whole range of different levels of wealth. They did OK.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 4, 2017 2:49PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually no don't say they are OK. They'll jack them up to 10s of millions and stick them all in CS.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know Crown Store prices yet? I am curious if manors will be 4,000 Crowns or 100,000 Crowns. I could easily see ZOS doing something bizarre like making a manor cost less than an Elk mount. But could also see them outdoing themselves in terms of sky high cash shop prices!
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

but its illegal

thats all

Buy crowns for cash. That IS legal and you will be able to buy all the houses that way.

(btw, does anyone know what the crown prices for the houses will be?)
    The Moot Councillor
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are these though fully furnished in the Crown Store?
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Taternater
    Taternater
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this in pts forums but I'll paste it here. My suggestions on how to make gold after the update.
    Taternater wrote: »
    For those of you who are concerned about not having enough gold to buy houses. I use spacing and such that looks good in this chat box but might not translate well to the actual post.

Farm resources - After the update, resource nodes will drop a furniture crafting item I assume just like nirn or dust. Especially
    at first you can probably make bank selling these. Additionally, people may want to power through crafting
    quickly and will want to buy a large quantity of resources quickly to level up a crafting skill because of
    furniture crafting. And raw resources always sell well anyway, especially since legendary materials will be
    used in furniture crafting.

Fish - For 2 reasons. Firstly, furniture items will randomly be caught while fishing. A lot of players hate fishing more than they
    hate spending gold. The second reason is that the aetherial ambrosia recipe will be available if you do lots of master
    writs so more people will need to buy roe. Or I assume that will be the case.

Legerdemain - Furniture plans will be randomly rewarded from containers, from pickpocketing, or looting a dead citizen. I can
    only assume that they will sell very well. Additionally the patch notes say that the frequency of master writs
    dropping from writ boxes increases with traits learned, crafting achievements, and learned motifs. As a result
    lots of people will want to buy the motifs you loot. Also legerdemain itself generates gold. One achievement is
    learning 100 provisioning recipes so you can probably sell the recipes you get.

Quest - Doing a round of daily quests today on one of my characters, I got a motif from the undaunted delve daily, the
    wrothgar delve daily, and the dark brotherhood daily. Just those motifs before factoring in the loot I got doing the
    quests are worth together tens of thousands now. Imagine after the update hits?

Run Dungeons - New motifs and motif materials will drop in dungeons after the update. Assuming they're not bop like the
    gear is, you should be able to sell them for a good amount.

PVP - There will be a regional equipment vendor selling set pieces from item sets from different alliance zones. This way
    PVPers can farm set equipment from alliance zones without all that PVE nonsense.

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Does anyone know Crown Store prices yet? I am curious if manors will be 4,000 Crowns or 100,000 Crowns. I could easily see ZOS doing something bizarre like making a manor cost less than an Elk mount. But could also see them outdoing themselves in terms of sky high cash shop prices!

My rough guess is that the manors will be 5,000 crowns- like the highest prices they currently have.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Omg, after reading some of the posts above I have a feeling that many people have huge problems with distinguishing a game from a reality.

"Synonym of luxury"? "Houses are expensive"? Really? Get back to earth people.

Yes, houses are expensive in real life but in the game they are considered as content which should be affordable for everyone. If most people can afford to buy only a small hut, there is no content to them.

And since most people, who will buy a mansion, will surely use their crowns, then these mansions may indeed be a synonym of luxury...
  • Taternater
    Taternater
    ✭✭✭
    The cost gives players a goal to work towards. Also trading guilds can use their saved gold to buy the bigger ones to use as a guild base. Maybe the actual purpose of the bigger ones is to serve as guild houses? And if players want to buy them with crowns, so much the better?
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note: Read this post as an inhabitant of Tamriel, not as a player playing Elder Scrolls Online.

It's a long climb, I know, but once you have it, you'll be overcome with lots of satisfaction.
    Besides, it doesn't sound logical if a large house would cost about 120K or even 600-700K. That would mean small houses could be cheaper than a horse. And I think owning a piece of land, along with a roof over your head, a comfy chair next to a warm fire and a safe place* to sleep, should be way more expensive than a mortal** animal used for easier travelling.

* I don't trust sleeping at an inn. Loud Nords, sneaky Khajiits, chances of encountering Orcs, ...
    ** Yes, I know they can't actually be killed, but in realistic thinking, they can. Remember the top note.
  • Nesselene
    Nesselene
    I don't mind those costs for the housing myself. I'm only at the game a month and I see housing for that value as a goal to work towards. Yes it's quite a chunk of your gold gone in one go, but at a certain level you earn quite a bit back rather fast anyway. I'm looking forward to it and will continue to happily quest and do my thing and collect my gold in the meantime and then see where I'm at when the housing is actually implemented.
    CP 389 | PC EU
    High Elf | Templar | Calenya Daetris - 50
    High Elf | Sorcerer | Aravae Daetris - 50
    High Elf | Nightblade | Nessa Daetris - 25
    Nord | Dragonknight| Araneyhr - 22
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The pricing for the larger homes is intended as a gold sink.

However, Zos designed homes and pricing for every budget, including free.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most gold I've ever had at once was 20,500. Right now I have 5,000g. And I think house prices are fine.

Yes the 3 most expensive ones in the entire game cost an absurd amount of money. But there are over 30 others which are much cheaper. The apartments cost less than a horse.

If you only want one of the 3mil mansions then save up. Yes it's probably going to take a long time, but at least it's not like real life where you've got to afford food and rent and if something breaks unexpectedly you need to dip into your savings because you can't live without it.

I suspect the fact that "normal people" can't afford the most expensive houses right away is exactly what they intended. It gives those who have been saving for years something to spend it on, those who haven't something to work towards and in the process it removes large amounts of gold from the economy, thus reducing inflation.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"