Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Official Feedback Thread for Sorcerers

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    And while we do not excel as much as other builds in group content, we are awesome solo (maelstrom) and will continue to excel in maelstrom.

Have you done vMSA on sorc on the pts?

I have and it´s strenuous compared to live. Just about every spawn past round 2 needs more than 6s of shield time. Which results in every spawn past round 2 i now have to cast minimum one extra ward or two (because time lost to cast ward not dpsing results in more incoming dmg) and every spawn costs 1-2 extra second which adds up quite a bit over a whole run.
    Also the big trump card being overload receives a passive nerf bc of this. You need your shield up to stay safe basically which results in a ~15% dps loss while overloading.

Smart people will just switch to mag nightblade that has a 100% reliable heal and about the same shieldstrengh as sorcs for vmsa now. That´s whats going to happen.
    NB kills the bosses equally fast while having a higher fault tolerance with the next patch.

I haven't done vMA in a while (other than on my lowbie DK) since I got my weapon. I should not have stated we will continue to excel in vMA without testing it myself. Just my opinion ofc, but I don't see myself struggling with vMA on sorc after the patch if I choose to do it again.

True it´s not a struggle (but is it for any experienced player in that content at this point?). But compared to what it was it became quite a bit harder especially when pushing for a good score.
    I don´t think people will reach current sorc scores after this change. In fact i´d be in favor of resetting the leaderboard because these changes have such a drastic impact on performance.

It will still be possible to complete the arena on sorc just fine though. You´re right in that aspect.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• GriM_728
    GriM_728
    ✭✭✭
    Ajax_22 wrote: »
    SonOfSune wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I have been reading a lot of the posts on this lately and from my guesstimate it looks like about 80 to 90 percent of players are against the reduction in shield duration, even those who are against shield stacking since they do not believe reducing the duration of shields would fix the "problem".

My question becomes... Why implement something that 80-90 percent of affected players do not want and are not asking for?

What seems to be a far more popular "solution" would be to implement a greater and lesser shield mechanic.

The PvP community is still asking this two years later.

AOE Cap Poll

Wow that is kinda scary...

What's even scarier is that ZOS is still attempting to band-aid fix the problems, that we warned them they would create in that thread. Proxy Det and Vicious Death are some of those band-aid fixes that have only made the problems worse.

Shield stacking absolutely needs to go. However, this "fix" won't do anything stop it, and will only make the PvP shield stackers stronger while hurting Magic Sorcs in other areas of the game.

I don't feel that shield stacking is such as issue as lack of tools for stam builds to take down the shields is. There's 1 set designed to take down a Sorc, 1 set and this game has been out since 2014. Shields aren't critable, another issue in many people's eyes. Most if not all the complaints are from the pvp community. Shields already got nerfed by 50% so let's make shields take 50% of the crit damage or make a have elemental damage type that they are weak against like shock? No one ever uses shock enchants on their weapons in pvp that that would give them a purpose.
    Edited by GriM_728 on May 6, 2016 11:26AM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    GriM_728 wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I have been reading a lot of the posts on this lately and from my guesstimate it looks like about 80 to 90 percent of players are against the reduction in shield duration, even those who are against shield stacking since they do not believe reducing the duration of shields would fix the "problem".

My question becomes... Why implement something that 80-90 percent of affected players do not want and are not asking for?

What seems to be a far more popular "solution" would be to implement a greater and lesser shield mechanic.

AOE Cap Poll

What's even scarier is that ZOS is still attempting to band-aid fix the problems, that we warned them they would create in that thread. Proxy Det and Vicious Death are some of those band-aid fixes that have only made the problems worse.

Shield stacking absolutely needs to go. However, this "fix" won't do anything stop it, and will only make the PvP shield stackers stronger while hurting Magic Sorcs in other areas of the game.

I don't feel that shield stacking is such as issue as lack of tools for stam builds to take down the shields is. There's 1 set designed to take down a Sorc, 1 set and this game has been out since 2014. Shields aren't critable, another issue in many people's eyes. Most if not all the complaints are from the pvp community. Shields already got nerfed by 50% so let's make shields take 50% of the crit damage or make a have elemental damage type that they are weak against like shock? No one ever uses shock enchants on their weapons in pvp that that would give them a purpose.

Shields already have no resist. Fix stacking and its not an issue.

While we're at it, undo the stupid change to harness magicka.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a shield option, what if shields stopped 100% for 6 sec, then only 75% thru 12, 50% thru 18 and 25% thru 24 going down at 25 or whenever the value of damage took them down?

Basically they start to leak.
    Enough to help vs one shots and short cc?
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• GriM_728
    GriM_728
    ✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're a vampire doesn't the increased fire damage you take also apply to the shields?

And my point is why not add something to the shields, like shock, that the shields take "x amount of increased damage from shock damage"?

And I agree fix harness magicka.
    Edited by GriM_728 on May 6, 2016 3:28PM
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And while we do not excel as much as other builds in group content, we are awesome solo (maelstrom) and will continue to excel in maelstrom.

Have you done vMSA on sorc on the pts?

I have and it´s strenuous compared to live. Just about every spawn past round 2 needs more than 6s of shield time. Which results in every spawn past round 2 i now have to cast minimum one extra ward or two (because time lost to cast ward not dpsing results in more incoming dmg) and every spawn costs 1-2 extra second which adds up quite a bit over a whole run.
    Also the big trump card being overload receives a passive nerf bc of this. You need your shield up to stay safe basically which results in a ~15% dps loss while overloading.

Smart people will just switch to mag nightblade that has a 100% reliable heal and about the same shieldstrengh as sorcs for vmsa now. That´s whats going to happen.
    NB kills the bosses equally fast while having a higher fault tolerance with the next patch.

I haven't done vMA in a while (other than on my lowbie DK) since I got my weapon. I should not have stated we will continue to excel in vMA without testing it myself. Just my opinion ofc, but I don't see myself struggling with vMA on sorc after the patch if I choose to do it again.

True it´s not a struggle (but is it for any experienced player in that content at this point?). But compared to what it was it became quite a bit harder especially when pushing for a good score.
    I don´t think people will reach current sorc scores after this change. In fact i´d be in favor of resetting the leaderboard because these changes have such a drastic impact on performance.

It will still be possible to complete the arena on sorc just fine though. You´re right in that aspect.

Yea, definitely true, I was more focused on the point that it will still be easy on magicka sorc, not so much that it will be harder to get a good score. Never really cared about the score myself, was just in it until I got my staff and flawless, but I'm sure there are some people who do. Think I was 30 or something when I quit. To be honest, with as much *** as they change each update, they should reset the leaderboards every update, which is unfortunate.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're a vampire doesn't the increased fire damage you take also apply to the shields?

And my point is why not add something to the shields, like shock, that the shields take "x amount of increased damage from shock damage"?

No idea, I wouldn't play a vampire if it were the only viable spec for this class. Let someone else play 'Twilight Online'

I wouldn't make shields vulnerable to anything because they're already vulnerable to everything. If you do 10K damage to a player, their mitigation kicks in, and they might take 2-3K less of that. Shields always take the full 10K. Every time.
    Edited by Minalan on May 6, 2016 5:07PM
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Weaknesses and resistances do not apply while a shield is up. Effectively, it's a slice of health where damage amplification and mitigation are set to zero (excluding CP, that still works.)
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Weaknesses and resistances do not apply while a shield is up. Effectively, it's a slice of health where damage amplification and mitigation are set to zero (excluding CP, that still works.)

And everyone wants to make zero resist shields critable as a solution, that's a terrible idea. Every hit would eat into your health before you know it.
  • cosmic_niklas_93b16_ESO
    cosmic_niklas_93b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

And everyone wants to make zero resist shields critable as a solution, that's a terrible idea. Every hit would eat into your health before you know it.

It could work if they buffed up shields overall strength and made a major/minor system for shields. But knowing zenimax that'll never happen.
    R.I.P. Daranth Spellborn
    VR16 Dunmer Sorcerer
    March 2014 - May 2016
    He was a skilled Crafter and a reliable Sorcerer;
    Then came the Dark Brotherhood

Wrobel wrote: Surge is now more effective for tank characters.
    Because crit tanks are so good, LOL. xD
  • Ajax_22
    Ajax_22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Shield stacking is a huge issue. I'm perfectly fine with ZOS normalizing Hardened Ward, Bone Shield and Harness Magicka to handle both magic and physical damage, but these shields should never be able to be used together. My preferred system for handling shields would be to make those three Major Wards, then make every other ward in game a Minor Ward, while Barrier remains unchanged due to being an ultimate. When you apply a Major Ward it will always replace your current Major Ward, and Minor Ward Priority would always be Blazing Shield, Healing Ward, then any other ward using whichever is stronger over a current weaker ward. This system would severely reduce shield stacking while ensuring shields that are more utility based (Blazing Shield, Healing Ward) can still be used.
  • GriM_728
    GriM_728
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Shield stacking is a huge issue. I'm perfectly fine with ZOS normalizing Hardened Ward, Bone Shield and Harness Magicka to handle both magic and physical damage, but these shields should never be able to be used together. My preferred system for handling shields would be to make those three Major Wards, then make every other ward in game a Minor Ward, while Barrier remains unchanged due to being an ultimate. When you apply a Major Ward it will always replace your current Major Ward, and Minor Ward Priority would always be Blazing Shield, Healing Ward, then any other ward using whichever is stronger over a current weaker ward. This system would severely reduce shield stacking while ensuring shields that are more utility based (Blazing Shield, Healing Ward) can still be used.

I'm sorry but from a guy who plays stamblade, magblade, stam Sorc, mag Sorc and, stam dk I don't see the issue you and many other people are having with the stacking.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

I'm sorry but from a guy who plays stamblade, magblade, stam Sorc, mag Sorc and, stam dk I don't see the issue you and many other people are having with the stacking.

Shield stacking an issue in PvP.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Not really.
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

That´s because you´re playing the two magica classes with the possibility to break a hardened + harness + healingward stack.
    Templar and DK as magica spec are sustain dmg oriented + melee and effectively not able to break stacking (or should not be without errors on the sorcs part - for templar it´s more a design issue with having to hardcast darkflare).

I have maybe lost three or four fights to mag templar and DK combined since patch 1.6 went live and every time i basically bend myself over asking for a pounding.
    There is no way for a templar or magica DK to get any control over a tripplestacking sorc because they lack the ability to deliver their dmg reliably.

It´s partially a problem with shieldstacking and partially with magica melee design. However it´s far too easy in my opinion to just stay alive pushing two buttons for shields and it will become easier vs stam builds which isn´t desireable.
    <Noricum>

• GriM_728
    GriM_728
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

That´s because you´re playing the two magica classes with the possibility to break a hardened + harness + healingward stack.
    Templar and DK as magica spec are sustain dmg oriented + melee and effectively not able to break stacking (or should not be without errors on the sorcs part - for templar it´s more a design issue with having to hardcast darkflare).

I have maybe lost three or four fights to mag templar and DK combined since patch 1.6 went live and every time i basically bend myself over asking for a pounding.
    There is no way for a templar or magica DK to get any control over a tripplestacking sorc because they lack the ability to deliver their dmg reliably.

It´s partially a problem with shieldstacking and partially with magica melee design. However it´s far too easy in my opinion to just stay alive pushing two buttons for shields and it will become easier vs stam builds which isn´t desireable.

stamblade, magblade, stam Sorc, mag Sorc and, stam dk.

I play 5 different classes out of the 5 the hardest for me to knock down a mag Sorc is with my stam Sorc and my mag Sorc. One of my good friends and guild mate is a stam dk and can knock out a fully shielded Sorc in a few shots. His guy is built to take down shielded enemies with ease as he hates magicka sorcs and magicka nightblades.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Not really.

It is and that is why its being heavily nerfed. Powerful shields with long duration that can be stacked to protect against absurd amounts of damage does get a little bit ridiculous... Now to maintain that same level of protection you will need to spend more of your resources or activate those abilities when you really need them.

They are not rolling back in this change just like they didn't rolled back on the changes made to Negate and the changes made to AoEs, so give it a rest already. They know we are not satisfied. What we can do now is suggest and hope they will listen and save this sinking class instead of just letting Sorcerers die out completely.

None of Zenimax's nerfing is without some reasoning. Negate was nerfed for silencing a group of several individuals in PvP when they were trying to conquer a flag was extremely powerful, even over powered. Streak was nerfed because sorcerers could spam it almost endlessly in PvP and though I don't think the ability to run away is over powered. I can understand how it can be frustrating. AoEs were heavily limited because ZoS is against the current 'zerg ball' strategy. It is not truly strategical (even if war many times do come down to numbers, not skill) and it is bad for the server's health. The particle density and rendering of so many AoEs cause tremendous lag.

My problem with their balancing equation is that Zenimax does not seem to take PvE into consideration as much as they should. Sorcerers were once a powerful class, but nerfs to our damage put the class at the bottom of both Stamina and Magika DPS, nerfs to Negate translate to sorcerers bringing almost no utility to the raid, thus why Nightblades, Templars and Dragon Knights are needed in a serious raid group while sorcerers are just accepted in small numbers, when allowed at all. This latest nerf to our shield strips yet another piece of the sorcerer's special identity. We have now low sustain and very little to use for survivability, which in turn cripples several different play styles. Magicka Tanks, Pet Builds in General...

We need buffs that truly fix the issues, including the class low DPS, low to non existent utility and the lack of variety allowed by our current skills.
    Edited by Grao on May 6, 2016 10:46PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

On live, only one sorc shield works against physical damage and it's gone after your instant opening wrecking blow/heavy combo with animation cancelling. We don't have time to recast with the knock back, then the sorc is dead. GG.

After this patch, they'll have one full physical shield left (harness) and you'll have to do it again. They'll have time to recast, streak, mine, and keep doing it all day until you catch them with a CC five seconds into their shield and open up before they break it (dead every single time. I win button FTW!).

Magicka classes have the same issue now against sorcs, thick stacked shields and easy recast over and over and spells can't take it down. This makes certain Jesus beam/radiant spamming people and the stealth spell gankers very sad.

That's why six seconds is sh** for PVP, and why many sorcs are so upset. CC breaker sometimes takes 2-3 seconds to register after a fear (you sit there literally banging the key while your toon runs around screaming like an idiot, then other times the break is instant like the CC never happened). We didn't ask for the harness change, or the six second CC certain death shield.
  • GriM_728
    GriM_728
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

On live, only one sorc shield works against physical damage and it's gone after your instant opening wrecking blow/heavy combo with animation cancelling. We don't have time to recast with the knock back, then the sorc is dead. GG.

After this patch, they'll have one full physical shield left (harness) and you'll have to do it again. They'll have time to recast, streak, mine, and keep doing it all day until you catch them with a CC five seconds into their shield and open up before they break it (dead every single time. I win button FTW!).

Magicka classes have the same issue now against sorcs, thick stacked shields and easy recast over and over and spells can't take it down. This makes certain Jesus beam/radiant spamming people and the stealth spell gankers very sad.

That's why six seconds is sh** for PVP, and why many sorcs are so upset. CC breaker sometimes takes 2-3 seconds to register after a fear (you sit there literally banging the key while your toon runs around screaming like an idiot, then other times the break is instant like the CC never happened). We didn't ask for the harness change, or the six second CC certain death shield.

It's "balancing" the game though right? The changes are definitely going to "improve the overall quality" the game...right? (Heavy hint of sarcasm)
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could have made a major minor and fixed everything with that all durations the same. I do not shield stack, it is really boring to me. Pet sorcs might be boring to others and magsirc tanking to others. But for me shield stacking was an annoyance perhaps even a problem when I fought sorcs on other classes and on my oet buuild. Not duration. A major minor system where player applied shields wipe the previous one and it's done. Even keep the changes to hardened and the other one but keep them at 6 seconds and leave the Sorc at 20. Whole things fixed. The only class that is a real problem in PvP that can cheap shot you that you have to give up slots on your car for and potions for, and that there exist no version of their class identifying skill is the permacloaking NB. I have played the style and sometime sure you have to cast it again when you get pulled out, but they have such tools they can port out to a shade they can change a fight in a second. You gotta wait for them to decide to kill you. But you instead decide to kill Sorcs in PvE and crap on them in PvP.... GJ
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

I play 5 different classes out of the 5 the hardest for me to knock down a mag Sorc is with my stam Sorc and my mag Sorc. One of my good friends and guild mate is a stam dk and can knock out a fully shielded Sorc in a few shots. His guy is built to take down shielded enemies with ease as he hates magicka sorcs and magicka nightblades.

Learn
    to
    read.

Shieldstacking isn´t an issue for stamina builds to the same extend it is for magica builds because they never had to fight through three shields. That´s why your expertise on stamsorc stamblade stamdk is basically of no relevance to the argument you´re making and i´ve ignored that (stamsorc is just not that good in general so it´s natural you´re having issues there).

So yeah. You play the two magica classes that can take down shieldstackers (true stacking not that pathetic two shield nonsense bad stamina players whine about).

Also great anecdote on your stam DK friend. So he´s playing the obvious counter to magica sorc and can take them head on? Astounding.
    Edited by Derra on May 7, 2016 8:44AM
    <Noricum>

• jknight201
    jknight201
    ✭✭✭
    They are not rolling back in this change just like they didn't rolled back on the changes made to Negate and the changes made to AoEs, so give it a rest already. They know we are not satisfied. What we can do now is suggest and hope they will listen and save this sinking class instead of just letting Sorcerers die out completely.

None of Zenimax's nerfing is without some reasoning. Negate was nerfed for silencing a group of several individuals in PvP when they were trying to conquer a flag was extremely powerful, even over powered. Streak was nerfed because sorcerers could spam it almost endlessly in PvP and though I don't think the ability to run away is over powered. I can understand how it can be frustrating. AoEs were heavily limited because ZoS is against the current 'zerg ball' strategy. It is not truly strategical (even if war many times do come down to numbers, not skill) and it is bad for the server's health. The particle density and rendering of so many AoEs cause tremendous lag.

My problem with their balancing equation is that Zenimax does not seem to take PvE into consideration as much as they should. Sorcerers were once a powerful class, but nerfs to our damage put the class at the bottom of both Stamina and Magika DPS, nerfs to Negate translate to sorcerers bringing almost no utility to the raid, thus why Nightblades, Templars and Dragon Knights are needed in a serious raid group while sorcerers are just accepted in small numbers, when allowed at all. This latest nerf to our shield strips yet another piece of the sorcerer's special identity. We have now low sustain and very little to use for survivability, which in turn cripples several different play styles. Magicka Tanks, Pet Builds in General...

We need buffs that truly fix the issues, including the class low DPS, low to non existent utility and the lack of variety allowed by our current skills.

The sorcerer class has already died. Sorcerers are at the bottom of the DPS scale already. They will fall even farther when what little survivability they had is removed with the next patch. If your group is seriously trying to complete an achievement, like a Trial, why would you want people to bring a sorcerer when many other classes are hugely superior in every way? What can a sorc player offer than another class can't do, only better?

People shouldn't "give it a rest" as there is something some people will do - vote with their wallet/feet. Serious sorcerer players will cancel their Plus subscription and shelve the game, waiting for things to be fixed in a future patch. Zenimax needs to realize that while it's a shame to have wasted a large amount of time in a particular character class, there are many other alternatives to ESO out there - and they risk driving people to them unless they get control of the play-balance issues (not to mention the Cyrodiil lag issues, long-standing bugs, etc.).
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jknight201 wrote: »

The sorcerer class has already died. Sorcerers are at the bottom of the DPS scale already. They will fall even farther when what little survivability they had is removed with the next patch. If your group is seriously trying to complete an achievement, like a Trial, why would you want people to bring a sorcerer when many other classes are hugely superior in every way? What can a sorc player offer than another class can't do, only better?

People shouldn't "give it a rest" as there is something some people will do - vote with their wallet/feet. Serious sorcerer players will cancel their Plus subscription and shelve the game, waiting for things to be fixed in a future patch. Zenimax needs to realize that while it's a shame to have wasted a large amount of time in a particular character class, there are many other alternatives to ESO out there - and they risk driving people to them unless they get control of the play-balance issues (not to mention the Cyrodiil lag issues, long-standing bugs, etc.).

I mostly agree with you, sorcerers are indeed the weakest class in PvE and have been so for quite some time now. Our DPS with both stamina and magicka builds is the lowest and at the same time we provide nearly no utility to a raid group, which in turn makes sorcerers less than desirable in competitive groups. At the same time we are not exceptional healers as our main healing skill is the active of a pet that dies if an enemy breaths in its general direction. As for Tanking, it used to be a funny alternative, but with reductions to our shielding, it will most likely be nonviable.

What I said about 'giving it a rest' was aimed to keep this a productive discussion instead of letting it sour into a endless list of posts complaining about a nerf to shields that will not be reverted. At best they will increase the shields duration to 10-12 seconds which will not fix the issues with this class. We need to give ZoS a more general feedback that goes beyond 'We don't like this change', 'We don't think this will fix the shield stacking on PvP', etc. That was all made very clear already.
    Edited by Grao on May 7, 2016 2:47PM
  • Rakkul
    Rakkul
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Not really.

It is and that is why its being heavily nerfed. Powerful shields with long duration that can be stacked to protect against absurd amounts of damage does get a little bit ridiculous... Now to maintain that same level of protection you will need to spend more of your resources or activate those abilities when you really need them.

The Shields didn't last the duration in pvp with the heavy damage coming in. Sorc's habitually refreshed them every few seconds.
    So what will change now then?
    Before - Sorcs refreshing shields every few seconds. After - Sorce refreshing shields every few seconds + other classes refreshing shields.
    This hasn't removed shield stacking, it's added to the number of shields in pvp.
  • Parafrost
    Parafrost
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with wards is that its not crittable. Make it crittable and ill be fine with 20 second duration. Sorcs apply their shields every 5 seconds anyways(atleast those that can sustain and burst).
    Edited by Parafrost on May 7, 2016 3:48PM
  • Parafrost
    Parafrost
    ✭✭✭
    ButtersEP wrote: »
    Wards aren't that strong in Cyrodiil..(already nerfed 50% in Cyrodiil) mainly why I do not PVP only PVE with my Sorc, Sorcs are actually the lowest sustained DPS in the game (not by much) I say this based off a lot (several dozen Blood Spawn Test) across a lot of different end game players (a couple dozen) my trials guild run these tests weekly many of which are top 50 players on the Vmsa weeklys.

With no ultimate's, sustained DPS only currently Mag DK's are number 1, followed by Mag NB's, then Mag Templars then Sorcs, Obviously this changes a bit with ultimate's but overload is not always forever.

This may seem off topic from the ward thread but since Sorcs will need to put more points in health and have a lower Magic pool, that sustained DPS number will be even lower, even more of a DPS loss when having to re-ward a lot.

And correct me if I am wrong Sorc self heals only come from a critical hit with power surge only? Templars & NB's self heal automatically by just well, attacking, DK's can heal as needed, Frags do not always Proc.. and power surge runs out...

I have every kind of character so I can play other classes, I am not so much complaining just pointing some things out.

Your pet heals you too. My pet heals for 8k in cyrodil when i was lvl28 lol only heal i had til i got healing ward morphed.
  • Parafrost
    Parafrost
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Learn
    to
    read.

Shieldstacking isn´t an issue for stamina builds to the same extend it is for magica builds because they never had to fight through three shields. That´s why your expertise on stamsorc stamblade stamdk is basically of no relevance to the argument you´re making and i´ve ignored that (stamsorc is just not that good in general so it´s natural you´re having issues there).

So yeah. You play the two magica classes that can take down shieldstackers (true stacking not that pathetic two shield nonsense bad stamina players whine about).

Also great anecdote on your stam DK friend. So he´s playing the obvious counter to magica sorc and can take them head on? Astounding.

Not all stam builds need shield breaker.
  • Yo_Donno
    Yo_Donno
    ✭✭✭
    jknight201 wrote: »

I mostly agree with you, sorcerers are indeed the weakest class in PvE and have been so for quite some time now. Our DPS with both stamina and magicka builds is the lowest and at the same time we provide nearly no utility to a raid group, which in turn makes sorcerers less than desirable in competitive groups. At the same time we are not exceptional healers as our main healing skill is the active of a pet that dies if an enemy breaths in its general direction. As for Tanking, it used to be a funny alternative, but with reductions to our shielding, it will most likely be nonviable.

What I said about 'giving it a rest' was aimed to keep this a productive discussion instead of letting it sour into a endless list of posts complaining about a nerf to shields that will not be reverted. At best they will increase the shields duration to 10-12 seconds which will not fix the issues with this class. We need to give ZoS a more general feedback that goes beyond 'We don't like this change', 'We don't think this will fix the shield stacking on PvP', etc. That was all made very clear already.

Well then come up with some suggestions. I already gave my summoning tree work, now lets see what else we can do:

Dark Exchange is useless, and should be replaced with a viable skill, preferably a curse like DoT that deals x damage every y seconds for z seconds to that target player, or with a final explosion or something like that.

Power Surge should not only proc off DoTs (LL specifically), and give a bonus to Spell and Weapon power, but it should also give a Crit Bonus. Critical surge only gives weapon damage, but you take 70% healing from your crits instead and get a lower crib bonus.

Sorcs need a way to get an Empower bonus that is separate from Entropy because that way we can use Power Surge. Alternatively, if the Spell Power bonus from Power Surge and Entropy would stack, then there would be a reason to use both slots.

Crystal Frags should just do more damage, plain and simple.

Sorcs also need a self-heal, a cheap, spammable self-heal.

IF you can think of anything else....
  • Parafrost
    Parafrost
    ✭✭✭
    Rakkul wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Not really.

The Shields didn't last the duration in pvp with the heavy damage coming in. Sorc's habitually refreshed them every few seconds.
    Before - Sorcs refreshing shields every few seconds. After - Sorce refreshing shields every few seconds + other classes refreshing shields.
    This hasn't removed shield stacking, it's added to the number of shields in pvp.

Sorc shields got buffed imo. Whoever waits til the full duration of the shield in trials must be one tanky person or the healer is good enough and they dont even use their shields.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakkul wrote: »
    @Wrobel
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

AOE Cap Poll

Not really.

I agree, the change to shielding does not solve the issues with shield stacking. Actually, by empowering Annulment further this changes likely make shield stacking even more powerful in PvP.

Unfortunately Sorcerers were in trouble before the nerfs to ward and this is a sorcerer feedback thread, not a shield feedback thread. What we need to ask Zenimax is for fixes where the class is simply too weak, not for a reversal to a nerf that would not fix the problem. The changes made to the Negate morphs are a step in the right direction if the damage and heal granted are actually significant as it will finally give us back a utility ultimate that may be useful for raiding, but that alone won't do it.

That Daedric Curse and its morphs were nerfed by no longer being affected by Thaumaturge is quite a problem. Sorcerer DPS is already weak and nerfs to any of our damage skills is an insult, specially when no damage buffs were given to other skills (I am ignoring the damage buff to Negate as we are far more likely to use the healing morph as it is our most utilitarian ultimate).

Again, what we need to be asking Zenimax isn't just for a reversal to the changes made to Ward because that alone will not fix this class.