The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[VICTORY] The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014 - THE FINAL BATTLE - ESO vs. Lord of the Rings Online

• Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grats us!
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad we won, but I also want to thank @Neizir‌ and @Dominoid over on reddit for their effort to mobilize the community!

(If you agree that they did an awesome job, don't upvote this post but one of theirs)
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to ESO and those that kept this poll alive. Now, please, devote your attention to making ESO a better place in long run and put "pressure" on ZOS to clear this fiasco with CP system.
    IMO, it will help ESO much more than this or any other poll.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »
    Whilst you guys just continue arguing.........

YAY WE WON!!!! :D

Yeah, looks like they finally rolled out of bed this morning and closed it.

Elder Scrolls Online
    54.3%

Lord of the Rings Online
    45.7%
    (Voting is now closed)

Edited by Elsonso on January 3, 2015 2:17PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    e793084bc9e3a1fc0f8498b0082821583f4b24811ea8aa9ff0e9326778a4483e.jpg
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, thanks to all they voted!

Special thanks to @Neizir‌ and @Dominoid! You did a great job!
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just woke up to this!!! Congrats everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    What great news to wake up to! Thank you SO much to everyone who helped us win! It was a really fun competition, and we wish we could e-shake hands with all the other competitors that we were humbled to be up against.

And yes, thanks to @Neizir and @Dominoid for the massive support!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What great news to wake up to! Thank you SO much to everyone who helped us win! It was a really fun competition, and we wish we could e-shake hands with all the other competitors that we were humbled to be up against.

Wait, you sleep?

• WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh now you decided to show up?
  • Marenne
    Marenne
    ✭✭✭
    Guys... The devs can have some holiday too...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhiskyBob wrote: »

Oh now you decided to show up?

Sigh.
    Thanks so much for the support with this one, guys! Looks like voting ends tonight, so let's finish strong!

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/9253/The-Great-MMO-FaceOff-of-2014-THE-FINALS.html

• NobleX35
    NobleX35
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that ESO finally gets some of its highly deserved positive feedback with this, it is after all not just a great game - it is especially the effort from the development side I feel is overwhelmingly good. So much progress in so little time - that's amazing.

Voted for ESO and EVE since although I'm not a fan of EVE, it still is pretty unique and highly deserving of praise due to the quality, it just isn't my cup of tea :).

I'm not glad. it says that all of the things people are begging for on the forums, more classes, better trade system, in game character customization, better grouping system, more end game possibilities, etc etc etc... are not as important as shiny and new ESO. LOTRO has dang near all of the things people post here begging for, its only downside is age and F2P. I don't want this to be a sign to devs to stop listening to the people....on the flip side I hope they understood just how much people despise F2P.

While it's true that Lotro is definitely a much more flushed out MMO in comparison to ESO at the moment, at the same time the age of the game and the lack of a strong development team accompanied by the horrendously bad F2P store has destroyed the game in my opinion. A few years ago I would have voted for Lotro hands down, I loved SoA and Moria, and even Isengard was pretty awesome at times. However over the years you can't help but notice the how small the development team and/or how lazy they have become.

The game has so many systems in place and so many things that need updating, but instead of updating what they currently have, they just keep adding new things for the sole purpose of being to sell stuff in their store. For instance, we never got the new pvp zone that we were supposed to have gotten back in Moria...almost 7 years ago. The housing revamp has been put on hold so many times its ridiculous. The added Big(Epic)-Battles instead instead of just updating the skirmish system (which is pretty close to the same thing).

Also lets not forget how out-of-control the F2P store has gotten for lotro. They literally have everything in that store at the most ridiculous prices imaginable (that are not account wide) like all of the horses for $20-$30 per character. And if it is in the game [snip] they make it extremely tedious to obtain thus taking all the fun out of the game, because they've turned the entire game into the biggest grind ever that you realize is a grind.

I will say that lotro did get a lot of things right, and ESO could definitely take a lesson or two from some of the things that lotro has done right, however lotro in its current form is nothing but a decaying shadow of it's once former glory.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 7:13PM
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war."
  • Dedhed
    Dedhed
    ✭✭✭
    Yay for ESO!
    Taonnor wrote: »
    I remember the social component of "spawn camping"... :smiley:

lol... Yeah and rolling up a new character only to have to wait for the npc's in low lvl zones to respawn from getting killed by the opposing faction just to pick up/turn in quests.
    Edited by Dedhed on January 3, 2015 5:11PM
    "This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Fredericks in Otherland talking about Wicked Tribe. Also a great description of zone chat.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    What i will say is that WoW was not realy good at release. Many many bugs. Much more than in ESO. And not realy content. Small instances for blue equip was fast cleared. In around 2 weeks!

So, now remember. EU release was around 1/2 year later than NA release. Molten Core was patched in 1.1 and the fix of instance id bug was 1.3. The time frame between these both patches was around 1/2 year too. So they needed very long to fix a major bug.

Now compare this informations with that what we got from ZoS in 1/2 year.

I will not say WoW is a bad game. It's a great game. But in my eyes the release of WoW and the vanilla version of WoW was worse than ESO at this moment.

Ehh... the loot from the "small instances" (that took 5-6x longer than ESO vet dungeons) was the best pre-MC (or PvP in some cases).

WoW had actually a pretty smooth launch (atleast from my EU perspective), especially compared to ESO (which I wouldn't call smooth on any scale).

As for the major bugs still unfixed in ESO:
    • The only skill catering to stealth gameplay still breaks from pretty much everything (Dark Cloak/Shadowy Disguise).
    • Countless PvP bugs/lag
    • Werewolves not having any weaknesses, only bonuses in human form (since 1.5)
    • Not being able to crit on dmg shields (since launch)
    • Multiple NPCs missing voices

Just off the top of my head, and there were much, much worse bugs during ESO launch (bugs preventing you from progressing in the game, bugs preventing you from even playing the game, multiple exploits in PvP & PvE, speed hacks, duping etc)

It's ok to like ESO (I like it also), [snip]

Wohh, stop. The WoW release was one of the rough releases of blizzard games.

Unending queues, crashes, lags. The first week was for me unplayable.

--> http://www.tentonhammer.com/wow/editorial/remembering-the-launch-of-wow

I believe it all depends.

For me ESO was as smooth as WOW, I did not have those issues that others had. I tested both games in beta and even alpha in WOWs case and seeing how a game improves over a whole year or more is great.

WOW was changed so many times during the alpha / beta builds, so was ESO and I am quite sure that a lot of people who only know the release version saw those as bugged or broken still.

ESO and WOW both had quests that couldn't be completed, both had issues with many players on screen or server instability.

In the end though, the release versions were miles ahead of games such as SWTOR or AOC that shipped without any content past level x or missing AA, High Res textures or sound files.

So you guys can stop fighting now, WOW and ESO are pretty equal in regards of how the release client was.

@‌ topic

congratulations to lifting the trophy.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 7:17PM
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grats :blush:
  • Tycobb117
    Tycobb117
    Eso tops all!!! ;)
  • PsylverRaven
    PsylverRaven
    ✭✭✭
    The Elder Scrolls community has been 20 years in the making. There are millions of us. They should be glad we all didn't show up to vote.

For those of you who just got on board with ESO, know that you have landed in a fiercely devoted, loyal and passionate community. We will never agree on which game is best, but we will all agree on The Elder Scrolls. We all want ESO to be the best MMO and are fortunate to have ZOS actively working with us to make it happen. It won't be overnight, but it will happen. I am getting the impression some other MMOs aren't so lucky.

That said, I am excited that so much of the map is not filled in and other areas like the Plains of Oblivion, Sovngarde and Blackreach aren't shown, yet. This makes plenty of room to grow and integrate many more major quest lines. There are 14 more Daedric Princes, 8 Divines, Thieves Guild and Assassin's Guild just for starters. We have a long way to go.

So, I'm going to do some quick repairs to my armour, mix some potions, pack a nice lunch, jump on my trusty steed and head off in a new direction. See you all in Tamriel.

As for the face-off, well done. Well done, indeed.

- If you are wondering, I did vote for ESO, but only one time. ;)
    Cold Thunder

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    - Albert Einstein
  • Harleyquincey
    Harleyquincey
    ✭✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »
    I'm glad that ESO finally gets some of its highly deserved positive feedback with this, it is after all not just a great game - it is especially the effort from the development side I feel is overwhelmingly good. So much progress in so little time - that's amazing.

Are you sure your playing the same ESO as the rest of us??
    You didn't pop the Skyrim game on accidently??
    ;)

Yep, I am quite sure actually. ESO was good at launch and became great with the patches and we're heading towards downright terrific with 1.6 and the future beyond that. So never regretted my decision to leave SW:TOR in favor of ESO with my guildmates (and neither have they). I've been around for what.. 15 years now according to my calendar, playing MMOs and .. seriously? This game could only become better if it had even more developers continuing the current path and thus implemented even more of the features we are about to get at an earlier point.

I don't need the game to be perfectly the way I want it, it's an illusion that won't be fulfilled unless I happen to become a billionnaire and go fund my own studio for doing my own MMO. So.. I don't care about pets for example. Still - have them for all those who do. Myself? I'm going to enjoy the heck out of other features and additions :)

Let's all chill and see.. this is a game. An amazing one for some, a great one for most and a mediocre one for a few. That's just how it is with any given decision ;)
    EU Server
    Clavius Lydoris Probus - Imperial Dragonknight Tank
    Co-Founder of [Black Manticore Brigade]
    Proud member of [Sigma Draconis] and [House Zar]
  • Dedhed
    Dedhed
    ✭✭✭
    "This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Fredericks in Otherland talking about Wicked Tribe. Also a great description of zone chat.
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell yes, ESO won!
    Victory dance:
    69dpD5R.gif
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on January 3, 2015 5:58PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Beowulf_McCallum
    Beowulf_McCallum
    ✭✭✭
    Hell yes, ESO won!
    Victory dance:
    69dpD5R.gif

I love...LOVE moist towelettes! ...ERM... I mean I love those videos ;)
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭

Let's all chill and see.. this is a game. An amazing one for some, a great one for most and a mediocre one for a few. That's just how it is with any given decision ;)

Current players are sort of a bias audience though, of course they're the ones who would most describe the game that way. Skyrim though sold close to three and a half million copies in its first two days, and has sold 20 million copies to date. The entire purpose of making an elder scrolls MMO is to capitalize on that built in audience. Except they've not done a good job expanding past the traditional MMO audience, largely because it tips too far towards the traditional MMO format for most people's taste. At 750k subs they're hardly dying, but if their goal was to make elder scrolls online and not an MMO themed off of elder scrolls lore, I think they've largely failed in that regard, because it lacks the openness and immersive world that defines an elders scrolls game. It doesn't make it a bad game as far as MMOs are concerned, but it's hardly an elder scrolls game.

As a side note, how is WoW not the top MMO every year when they've got like 12 million subs? Do the rules just specifically say they can't play, or are most WoW players just not interested?
    Edited by miahq on January 3, 2015 6:10PM
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    miahq wrote: »

but if their goal was to make elder scrolls online and not an MMO themed off of elder scrolls lore, I think they've largely failed in that regard, because it lacks the openness and immersive world that defines an elders scrolls game. It doesn't make it a bad game as far as MMOs are concerned, but it's hardly an elder scrolls game.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/05/08/creative-director-paul-sage-responds-to-concerns-about-elder-scrolls-online/

In an interview with Game Informer, Elder Scrolls Online Creative Director Paul Sage responds to some of the concerns that people have had about his game. Sage is a huge Elder Scrolls fan, it seems like the lore and the world are in knowledgeable and respectful hands. But he’s adamant that they are making a new game set in the Elder Scrolls world, and not an online version of a traditional Elder Scrolls game.

That was in 2012.

Also http://www.pcgamesn.com/elderscrolls/nords-are-niche-elder-scrolls-online-not-game-everybody-who-plays-games

Hines told Gamespot that ESO is a “certain kind of game” - and that if the size of its playerbase is limited as a result, that’s not an issue for the publisher.

That's for people who think that we need 10 million subs.
    Edited by ers101284b14_ESO on January 3, 2015 6:25PM
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭

but if their goal was to make elder scrolls online and not an MMO themed off of elder scrolls lore, I think they've largely failed in that regard, because it lacks the openness and immersive world that defines an elders scrolls game. It doesn't make it a bad game as far as MMOs are concerned, but it's hardly an elder scrolls game.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/05/08/creative-director-paul-sage-responds-to-concerns-about-elder-scrolls-online/

In an interview with Game Informer, Elder Scrolls Online Creative Director Paul Sage responds to some of the concerns that people have had about his game. Sage is a huge Elder Scrolls fan, it seems like the lore and the world are in knowledgeable and respectful hands. But he’s adamant that they are making a new game set in the Elder Scrolls world, and not an online version of a traditional Elder Scrolls game.

That was in 2012. Why where people expecting it to be Skyrim online?

I don't think people are expecting it to be skyrim online, but they certainly tried to attract traditional elder scrolls fans. That's why they spent so much time emphasizing the similarities. In fact in the very interview that article you linked to is based off of they talk about how you lure the ES audience to the MMO format. You don't make an MMO for a franchise with millions of fans without the intention of attracting them to your game. And you can't do that if all you take is the lore and leave out the substance of what attracts people to the franchise to begin with.

His actual response in that interview was far my of a dodge as well, if you just want to pull one line like you've done, I could also say he said they weren't making an MMO. All he said was they were making a good game first, not an ES game and not an MMO. And that statement is basically A public relations way of saying, screw you people stop asking me this question.
    Edited by miahq on January 3, 2015 6:24PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've played all 4 games in the final 4 at release,

Eve I could never get into because, apparently, I need to be a character and not a ship... plus harvesting and trading are secondary pursuits for me - I'd much rather explore, hunt and cause mayhem.

LOTRO was a lot of fun and I enjoyed being a Loremaster there for a long time. The F2P transition and intrusive cash shop sort of killed it for me though. Plus it now feels old, especially with way too many skills in too many skill bars that in many cases perform very similar functions. I prefer modern MMOs with a lesser number of more distinct and meaningful abilities.And LOTRO did have that cantankerous and at times obnoxious, notorious community manager...

TSW was my first megaserver MMO with probably the best quests in the business (which often broke at release in almost exactly the same way ESO's did: worked in some phases and not in others until server reset) and a very open skill system that had the potential for many unique builds. I enjoyed the PVE parts a lot but I expected more from the PVP and never got it... I left it to get my PVP fix in GW2... even put-up with the GW2 often non-sensical lore to get it...

ESO I've been playing for almost a year and it hits all the right notes for me: great PVP, excellent quest lines, stories and lore, wonderful skill system that just begs to be explored and experimented with. I have 4 VR characters--one of each class and I constantly recycle my other 4 slots trying out often "weird" builds.

I'd personally rank them ESO, TSW and LOTRO in that order and would have preferred to have seen DAoC in that last spot instead of EVE. But hey, 3 out 4 ain't bad :)

Grats ESO!
  • Marenne
    Marenne
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't for the actual eso (it is great by the Way)it's for this future game in developping who gonna rocks so hard!
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO is sort of the MMORPG for those that don't like MMORPGs - it's why the MMO press hate it and yet it has players that love it.

It has both play and group play and PvP play - all of which need fixing but all of which work well enough to keep the gamers engaged. Let's hope they don't screw their fanbase royally and lose it!

GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry my beloved LOTRO but you had no chance. Maybe if you had listened to what the player base told you for years... The only thing left in that game worth a penny is the Warden class, even if you basically dumbed it down. What a genius design.
    Congrats ESO, well deserved award. You are doing things right.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Current players are sort of a bias audience though, of course they're the ones who would most describe the game that way. Skyrim though sold close to three and a half million copies in its first two days, and has sold 20 million copies to date. The entire purpose of making an elder scrolls MMO is to capitalize on that built in audience. Except they've not done a good job expanding past the traditional MMO audience, largely because it tips too far towards the traditional MMO format for most people's taste. At 750k subs they're hardly dying, but if their goal was to make elder scrolls online and not an MMO themed off of elder scrolls lore, I think they've largely failed in that regard, because it lacks the openness and immersive world that defines an elders scrolls game. It doesn't make it a bad game as far as MMOs are concerned, but it's hardly an elder scrolls game.

As a side note, how is WoW not the top MMO every year when they've got like 12 million subs? Do the rules just specifically say they can't play, or are most WoW players just not interested?

WoW got knocked off in the third round. Utterly destroyed.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin