Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

[VICTORY] The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014 - THE FINAL BATTLE - ESO vs. Lord of the Rings Online

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize just a little weary of those accusations.
    Hopefully Bill will post a reply or a link to their policy.
    Options
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ›Elder Scrolls Online
    56.5%
    ›Lord of the Rings Online
    43.5%
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Voted and will be encouraging all my Guildies to do so to......

I have change my MotD to reflect this :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voting seems to have platueaued at 56.1% to us. Keep hold of this position until Friday night!
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    Options
  • Wizzo91
    Wizzo91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    @Amsel_McKay‌

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxo_k2RprU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5unVwEOFg

If you're not getting these graphics it's because your computer can't handle it, not because ESO can't produce them.

Now, I WILL admit that LOTRO is a pretty game but ESO is just better... it's a step or two above LOTRO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqew2A0rP88

The Water in LOTRO is fantastic! I'll give you that. I know I'm not the only one hoping for a complete ESO water overhaul at some point. :wink:

I've never played LOTRO more than a few weeks at a time.

But those visuals are fantastic - aesthetically. Graphics are better in ESO but that scenery in the LOTR videos is better than anything I've seen in ESO.
    [EU]

Wizzo - Stamina DK - 50 - DC
    Wizzox - Magicka NB - 50 - DC
    Vilest Wizz - Magicka Sorc - 50 - DC
    Wiser Wizz - Magicka NB - 50 - DC
    Wizzo X - Magicka NB - 50 - AD
    In Rainbows - Stam Sorc - 50 - AD
    Fake Plastic Tree - Stamplar - 50 - EP

6XX CP

Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizzo91 wrote: »
    Gidorick wrote: »
    @Amsel_McKay‌

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxo_k2RprU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5unVwEOFg

If you're not getting these graphics it's because your computer can't handle it, not because ESO can't produce them.

Now, I WILL admit that LOTRO is a pretty game but ESO is just better... it's a step or two above LOTRO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqew2A0rP88

The Water in LOTRO is fantastic! I'll give you that. I know I'm not the only one hoping for a complete ESO water overhaul at some point. :wink:

I've never played LOTRO more than a few weeks at a time.

But those visuals are fantastic - aesthetically. Graphics are better in ESO but that scenery in the LOTR videos is better than anything I've seen in ESO.

The horses, water and sky look better in LOTRO a 7 year old game, while playing ESO yesterday while the graphics are amazing at times it is mostly the lighting flare and shadows that make it better then LOTRO when I loaded up LOTRO and played my dwarf the world looked better because of the layout of items and the real look to armor and weapons.

Whole zones in ESO are poorly designed and seem rushed, and I still think the ground looks poor under the sprigs of grass. Again this is all opinion people liked WOWs graphics and its cartoon appearance.

ESO still feels like beta as well and the community seems to be worse in ESO. ESO will win though because of all the people talking in guilds last night about creating many accounts to vote for ESO over LOTRO because its a FTP game. So congratulations on your win over a 7 year old game... with graphics that slightly beat it and with broken game mechanics that make it feel like a beta.
    Options
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO still feels like beta as well and the community seems to be worse in ESO. ESO will win though because of all the people talking in guilds last night about creating many accounts to vote for ESO over LOTRO because its a FTP game. So congratulations on your win over a 7 year old game... with graphics that slightly beat it and with broken game mechanics that make it feel like a beta.

Sure, the community must be better in LOTRO... just look at all these people coming here making ridiculous claims about ESO graphics compared to LOTRO & then QQing how ESO is a newer game and not P2W F2P like the other.

Better community... yep...

Note: another example why I really hope they removed 6 month subscription for another reason, and not to go F2P.
    Edited by DDuke on January 1, 2015 11:08PM
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lotro graphics.. are great as visions of what Tolkien might have meant when he wrote his books.. Up until the Mirkwood release. After that.. with a few cool things in Rohan, the devs started recycling entire areas, tweaking them a little and then plopping them as new zones. When I did flooded Isengard, I discovered how much Lotro had declined since launch. The current game is a shadow of its former self.

As far as players, most of the good theory-crafters/players were banned from the forums by a previous CSM and have left the game after repeated failed promises and deep-rooted class changes. Others gave up for lack of raiding, content, Turbines lack of commitment or their everchanging vision of what the game with total class rewrites every update....the list goes on. As a 2K poster there, I can guaranteed the ESO forums are a nicer place than the Lotro forums at the end before I came here.

ESO may look less polished to some, but, frankly, the immersion factor is even greater, with beautiful screenies, and as the voice-over acting puts it over the top.

I leave with a contrast of a Lotro Rohan tapestry:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35884%3Enu%3D3344%3E5%3A3%3E%3B%3B4%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34564%3B77336nu0mrj

vs a Nordic Tapestry

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35%3B82%3Enu%3D3344%3E5%3A3%3E%3B%3B4%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34564%3B76336nu0mrj
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Options
  • eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go vote! Voted!
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
    Options
  • Marenne
    Marenne
    ✭✭✭
    Need more vote gyus!!! Only 53.5 %
    Options
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »
    Somehow reading the forums I don't think many people are gonna vote for ESO in this round. lol

ESO frustrates the hell out of me sometimes but I love it and I'd never consider voting for another MMO over it.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
    Options
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Marenne wrote: »
    Sorry, there's only one gyu.
    Wololo.
    Options
  • Marenne
    Marenne
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry i'm french ,i don't have a really good english.
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    Marenne wrote: »
    Sorry, there's only one gyu.

But there are 5 Ginyus
    Battle-of-Z-722-Ginyu-Force.jpg
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The forces of evil keep steadily gaining, we're down to 52.8 now. Go vote and stop these orcs and uruk-hai from stealing our victory.
    Options
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VOTE VOTE VOTE! We are very close to being overtaken!
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    VOTE VOTE VOTE! We are very close to being overtaken!

Seems like very few are actually voting for LOTRO and most are just voting against ESO
    Options
  • Nikolas
    Nikolas
    ✭✭✭
    52.3%!! If someone didn't vote now is the time guys
    Options
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Elder Scrolls Online
    51.9%

Lord of the Rings Online
    48.1%

They're getting close, spread the word :wink:

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/9253/The-Great-MMO-FaceOff-of-2014-THE-FINALS.html
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Told all my guilds.Started discussions on the German and French forums. And I already voted. Can't do much more
    Options
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    im so confused ><
    the eso hatred is as inexplicable as LotRO even being a contender...
    A455C9F60AD391075D8690D621712E49DECA705E
    Options
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol.

What?

This game looks better? That's why you would vote for it? Is that the only thing it has left is its looks?

I know guys that play lotor and will ask them to name ten bugs still in game after a six month period. Then I will look at eso over the last six months.

Did that. Lotor wins.

Sorry beautiful, it's not about looks, it's about working correctly.
    Options
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Lol.

What?

This game looks better? That's why you would vote for it? Is that the only thing it has left is its looks?

I know guys that play lotor and will ask them to name ten bugs still in game after a six month period. Then I will look at eso over the last six months.

Did that. Lotor wins.

It's actually about game play. LOTRO's combat is awfully designed, does not flow well at all. That is why ESO gets my vote.
    Options
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won against the Secret World and now LOTRO? Seems like ESO is up against the dregs of the MMO industry.
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »
    Won against the Secret World and now LOTRO? Seems like ESO is up against the dregs of the MMO industry.

Well we've beaten golden childs of MMO industry -> Wildstar and Destiny..it's funny how they both floped so hard..Hell even Archeage and Guild Wars 2 were predicted to meet ESO, I think by now we all know who would have won anyway.
    Edited by Bloodfang on January 2, 2015 11:10AM
    Options
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »

I can agree about LotRO, but TSW is most definitely not a dreg.

At least it's not just another WoW wannabe. It does something original by not having traditional MMO traits like classes and levels. The combat is niche and very comprehensive, but also logical and fun once you begin to understand it. The storytelling, lore and questing is unparallelled. The endgame on the other hand is stretched thin and definitely needs some attention.

The most common comment I've seen from TSW players is that it has ruined their ability to play any other MMOs, because of the freedom of no classes and levels the game offers.

I feel the same way, except for ESO. ESO is the only MMO I've managed to become interested in after playing TSW. There's something very unique and interesting about this game :)

There are undoubtedly quite a few dregs out there. TSW is not one of them :)
    Edited by Vikestart on January 2, 2015 11:10AM
    Options
  • Tarrin
    Tarrin
    ✭✭✭
    It`s very hard to choise, because i love both games.

ESO is my choice
    Samurai without a sword
    Like a samurai with the sword
    But without the sword
    Options
  • Winnower
    Winnower
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm here and not playing LoTRO. And there are multiple valid reasons for that.

LoTRO is a shadow, a mere wraith so-to-speak, of its former self.

The CASH STORE OF MORDOR has won the battle there, it's all over but the cryin'. The nicest looking things in the game are always and only available in the cash store, you can't find them by playing the game. And there are the P2W potions and other items.

The devs haven't even tried to pretend that there is any challenge to the content since Rohan. You can walk through it all while reading a book and nibbling bonbons, talking to your spouse, using under-leveled characters with little to no gear doing raid content solo. Seriously. My last time there I was doing raid level warbands on my warhorse with a naked female elf champion (except for her axe, for the looks).

LoTRO hit its apogee with the original Moria. The "reworks" to the zones have turned what used to be a nice steak into a giant dead marshes-like morass of pablum fit only for toothless milk-drinkers.

The ONLY thing left that is good about LoTRO is some of the community, particularly on Landroval. I do miss some of my people.

Admittedly ESO ain't too many levels better than that, but at least I can't do Vet Banished Cells with a sole naked elf nightblade stamina build.
    VR14 Templar, VR14 DK, VR8 DK, VR7 NB, VR1 Sorcerer;
    All 3 Alliances;
    2 Pre-order Imperial Accounts, yes that means 16 characters on NA alone
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They posted a year-in-review article about ESO that you can see immediately when you log in. I only skimmed it, but the article is basically a summary of events with minor opinions weaved in, mostly on the importance of different additions.

Elder Scrolls Online
    51.8%

Lord of the Rings Online
    48.2%
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    Lol.

What?

Did that. Lotor wins.

looks, beauty, voice acting, music, sfx all part of immersion. and relevant.
    also, the tech is advancing, shouldnt we expect games to take advantage of better, fast and higher capacities for immersive quality?
    if all i wanted was functionality i would be playing a [snip] panda.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 6:57PM
    Options