Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

[VICTORY] The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014 - THE FINAL BATTLE - ESO vs. Lord of the Rings Online

• Ethona
    Ethona
    ✭✭✭
    HMM... ESO, I like, but LOTRO has just ... given me so much love over the years and the visuals are still pretty good. Sorry ZOS, even if your game wins, I'll rest better knowing my vote went to LOTRO. I was going to post links to some fantastic screenshots but honestly anyone can just search out LOTRO screenshots on your favorite search engine.
    Options
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    Mortuum wrote: »
    ESO and TSW, they deserved it after semi-finals, and its not bad game after all. Sadly, trolls and idiots are already active in the comments...

TalulaRose writes:
    My vote for Lotro is a vote against ESO.

Made me laugh really. Sounds like another internet warrior on a mission to change the world :D

LOTRO is an older version of ESO... Lore is the only major difference and LOTR wins the lore battle. Graphics may even be better...

Agree on the lore, but LoTRO graphics better?? Uuuhhh...

czdc.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

about the same
    Somebody has subsampling on low/medium......
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    DDuke wrote: »
    B11zzard wrote: »

Yeah see the graphics are on par with other MMOs in these videos.
    Uploading a video to Youtube downgrades the quality of it a lot, that's why I'd never go to youtube to get accurate picture of a game's graphics.

Source: anyone who has ever uploaded a video to youtube.

Can you find us a LOTRO video on youtube with better graphics, please?

I could bash ESO on many, many things, but graphics aren't one of them.

I think its funny now that so many of you are fighting for ESO based on graphics, but I understand now that this is the only thing that ESO has over LOTRO. When ESO brings its true HQ graphics out you will all understand how underachieving these graphics are.

I don't think they are fighting for ESO based on graphics, just countering your opinion that LotRO had comparable graphics (an opinion I don't agree with either).

I'd say you're correct with regards to my preference for Arda lore compared to TES lore, though I'd say the best lore created by Tolkien isn't even displayed in LotRO because it takes place in the 3rd age, not to mention the way our characters in LotRO are hamfisted in to "meaningful" moments with the fellowship.

As for game merit, I don't think you can make lore and graphics the two deciding factors. I've voted for ESO because that's where I chose to be when I play MMOs - even though I would argue that the SoA era is the most fun I've played in an MMO besides probably raiding Sky to the CoP expansion for FF XI.

Well I would hope you are playing a current MMO and not one that is 7 years old ;)... This ESO win in the final will have an * anyway after the last round and getting into the final vs a MMO 7 years old unless it wins by a 30% margin.

I agree that the hamfisted LorRO to get characters into the game, but no less then how ESO is using the ES lore which is happening because BOTH games are all about making mass amounts of money and using their lore to sell games.

With the long term success of eve, EQ2, wow, and LotRO I don't think age is a sufficient reason alone for playing a different game - nor should future games be shamed if future games don't perform better in a poll.

I agree with your lore point as well, though it would be more blatantly obvious if we were squires to Tiber or something instead of plaything through newly created lore in a time period almost entirely untouched in the previous games.
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO Water and Sky:

screenshot00010m.jpg

Thebirn-Landscape.jpg

Options
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO Water and Sky:

screenshot00010m.jpg

Thebirn-Landscape.jpg

Why is it that screenshots are sufficient when you want to show the beauty of a gamer but not when someone else wants to?

NerdSauce Gaming

Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandalf wrote: »
    LOTRO Water and Sky:

screenshot00010m.jpg

Thebirn-Landscape.jpg

Why is it that screenshots are sufficient when you want to show the beauty of a gamer but not when someone else wants to?

These are horrible graphics I am agreeing that ESO is light years ahead in the graphic department of all MMOs. ESOs graphics are amazing, I just wanted to agree with you all. Just needed to post these to prove how wrong I was.
    Options
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO Water and Sky:

screenshot00010m.jpg

Thebirn-Landscape.jpg

These are horrible graphics I am agreeing that ESO is light years ahead in the graphic department of all MMOs. ESOs graphics are amazing, I just wanted to agree with you all. Just needed to post these to prove how wrong I was.

Nah... Black Desert for instance has way better graphics than ESO.
    LOTRO does not, sorry but this is a fact.

Not that graphics matter that much really...

E.g. Morrowind is still broadly considered a way better game than Skyrim, even though its graphics are outdated and LOTRO actually has many elements that I wish existed in ESO as well (graphics not being one of them)
    Edited by DDuke on December 30, 2014 10:02PM
    Options
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Black Desert

Korean MMOs ... :cold_sweat:
    Wololo.
    Options
  • Ethona
    Ethona
    ✭✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »
    B11zzard wrote: »
    Just look at steam community screeshots.

And this is from my own collection

b2848142d5be7f0ac5d9549afdfea0db.png
    dacb4809786659679ebba81b34302550.png
    163c30f948ef48b1f768cd85e514c608.png

Videos of game play with this look? If you can get this look with game play I would be willing to hire you to make my companies graphic design computers.

Are you new to gaming or something? There not that hard you know, lots of games now have stunning graphics.....I think it's time you upgraded your operating system from Windows XP ;P

Its weird that all the people on youtube cant get that graphic quality, or twitch users or people with 4k graphics. Or gaming computers with dual SLI... but your right I know nothing about "stunning graphics" and really need to get away from windows XP.

ALSO lots of games have stunning graphics but ESO is not one of them...

My ESO looks just as good. Perhaps the folks you're looking at on youtube and twitch have other issues that are causing textures to not load correctly. This game often have issues where the textures don't load to their highest qul but stay blur when you're near the objects/player. If you're having this issue than you could force the game to always render in -3 instead of 0; ---> SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "-3" <--- in the UserSettings text file within Documents dir.

However, if you wish to believe that such high detailed gfx of ESO are not real ... well that's your lost.
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO Water and Sky:

screenshot00010m.jpg

Thebirn-Landscape.jpg

Nah... Black Desert for instance has way better graphics than ESO.
    LOTRO does not, sorry but this is a fact.

Not that graphics matter that much really...

E.g. Morrowind is still broadly considered a way better game than Skyrim, even though its graphics are outdated.

Daggerfall was years ahead of any game... My favorite game of all time is still XCOM TFTD so I agree with your graphics comment. (EQ 1999-2001 was the best MMO ever)
    Options
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love LOTRO and voted for it (over all) but it certainly does not have the graphics quality of ESO...why is this even an argument? o.O
    Edited by Psychobunni on December 30, 2014 10:23PM
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

Options
  • Nirnroot
    Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭
    Voted.

Elder Scrolls Online
    61.7%

Lord of the Rings Online
    38.3%
    _-_
    Options
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ESO win in the final will have an * anyway after the last round and getting into the final vs a MMO 7 years old unless it wins by a 30% margin.

it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile winning's winning
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expected this to be harder. It's been really 1-sided up to this point.

Well happy New Year to everyone, as I won't be logging in anymore today.
    I think we already got the win anyway, so celebrate today that as well (I'll have a few more shots for ESO as well) :)

Also I'd like to congratulate the TSW community, they've really come long way, pushed us to the limit like nobody else. In my eyes you are 2nd (sorry I'd put you 1st but ESO is my first love :D).

And I'd like to apologize for the accusations early on, they've came from our Reddit. There was a guy claiming he plays TSW and got an email from Funcom asking you to go vote. He couldn't prove it, so in the end he made fools out of us. :D

Now that thats settled down, see ya next year! ;)
    Edited by Bloodfang on December 31, 2014 12:43PM
    Options
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    my puter choked a week ago, (waiting on new one) was there actually a post on the ESO launcher about this so-called face off? encouraging eso fans to sub and vote? i did see a screen shot of TSW doing this in their launcher.

MMORPG forum is awash with accusations of allt account voters. soiem seriously butt-hurt tolkien fans there atm...

in other news, how bad is the last hobbit movie?
    Edited by qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO on December 31, 2014 4:42AM
    Options
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    373FA42C452D5F0DAE1914363B33E50282ABCDC9

with moderate-high settings using gtx580sli

i have spent time just running around looking for photo opportunities :P
    Edited by qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO on December 31, 2014 5:07AM
    Options
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    08A0352A3762C02B03604E94A00067D6D9406DC8

i appreciate the depth of detail.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Amsel_McKay‌

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxo_k2RprU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5unVwEOFg

If you're not getting these graphics it's because your computer can't handle it, not because ESO can't produce them.

Now, I WILL admit that LOTRO is a pretty game but ESO is just better... it's a step or two above LOTRO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqew2A0rP88

The Water in LOTRO is fantastic! I'll give you that. I know I'm not the only one hoping for a complete ESO water overhaul at some point. :wink:
    Edited by Gidorick on December 31, 2014 5:36AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please stop! This topic isn't about who have better graphic.

› Elder Scrolls Online
    60.1%
    › Lord of the Rings Online
    39.9%
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voted

Elder Scrolls Online
    60.1%
    Lord of the Rings Online
    39.9%
    Options
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    Please stop! This topic isn't about who have better graphic.

› Elder Scrolls Online
    60.1%
    › Lord of the Rings Online
    39.9%

i know, i just wanted a reason to share screenshots :)
    current popular stance on MMORPG forums=
    tumblr_m74i2cplGs1qgecupo1_500.gif
    Options
  • Marenne
    Marenne
    ✭✭✭

Elder Scrolls Online
    59.2%

Lord of the Rings Online
    40.8%
    (Thank you for your vote!)
    Options
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played Lotro for a little bit because it was turbines other game and a friend of mine really liked it. but I massively preferred DDO at the time. Lotro was a wow like model of tab targeting (of which I despise) and thousands of tiny unimportant quests (kill 10 "insert monster here") I did enjoy the Warden though, I like spears and hope we get them in ESO some day.

then you had DDO, fewer but much more detailed and story driven quests, open combat (no damn tab targeting) and possibly the most impressive amount of build diversity and possibility in any mmo.

however they are both F2P and turbine has gone super P2W in both, even if you subscribe there is still a cash currency (mithril coins and astral shards respectively) and a ton of other P2W items. even spending $20 a week per person was not enough to stay competitive.

we (my group) are actually saving a massive amount of money playing ESO (a sub game) vs playing lotro or DDO (supposedly free to play games) I do however miss the build diversity of DDO, and its grouping system. I feel like I am soloing with other people in ESO, and yes there is a difference. but can never return because of the incompetence and money grubbing turbine.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
    Options
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're losing ground quickly, but still well in the lead. Hold out until Friday! Keep voting!
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    Options
  • Relyk04
    Relyk04
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with @Neizir‌, we need to keep our focus and help with promoting ESO.

Eyes on the prize!
    Options
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    We're losing ground quickly, but still well in the lead. Hold out until Friday! Keep voting!

What exactly do you mean by "keep" voting? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seems like you're encouraging people to make multiple accounts and vote multiple times. I really hope that's not what you mean and I'm just misinterpreting.

NerdSauce Gaming

Options
  • gendarkb16_ESO
    gendarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Options
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are short videos I recorded while riding across Auridon, just to show the ambience and lightning effects to a friend that was interested in the game:

http://youtu.be/WNB6xa8F_Gc

Second part:
    http://youtu.be/oBvJxqBcMc8

I run mostly Ultra on everything, except water reflections, I think.

Constant 60 FPS everywhere, except Cyrodiil and big crowded cities.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What exactly do you mean by "keep" voting? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seems like you're encouraging people to make multiple accounts and vote multiple times. I really hope that's not what you mean and I'm just misinterpreting.

He means anyone that hasn't voted should vote.
    Please stop trying to fan the flames on false rumours.

Edit - I just sent a nice PM to Bill Murphy the managing editor on MMORPG.com
    asking as a favor to post his multi-account voting policy to calm some of the trolling about it down.

I am quite sure as a quality site they check.

Edited by TequilaFire on January 1, 2015 12:11AM
    Options
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He means anyone that hasn't voted should vote.
    Please stop trying to fan the flames on false rumours.

Edit - I just sent a nice PM to Bill Murphy the managing editor on MMORPG.com
    asking as a favor to post his multi-account voting policy to calm some of the trolling about it down.

I am quite sure as a quality site they check.

I'm not trying to fan any flames, I was legitimately curious. Was a simple misinterpretation, nothing more.
    NerdSauce Gaming

Options