Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

[VICTORY] The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014 - THE FINAL BATTLE - ESO vs. Lord of the Rings Online

• qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    Vikestart wrote: »
    Digiman wrote: »
    Won against the Secret World and now LOTRO? Seems like ESO is up against the dregs of the MMO industry.

I can agree about LotRO, but TSW is most definitely not a dreg.

At least it's not just another WoW wannabe. It does something original by not having traditional MMO traits like classes and levels. The combat is niche and very comprehensive, but also logical and fun once you begin to understand it. The storytelling, lore and questing is unparallelled. The endgame on the other hand is stretched thin and definitely needs some attention.

The most common comment I've seen from TSW players is that it has ruined their ability to play any other MMOs, because of the freedom of no classes and levels the game offers.

I feel the same way, except for ESO. ESO is the only MMO I've managed to become interested in after playing TSW. There's something very unique and interesting about this game :)

There are undoubtedly quite a few dregs out there. TSW is not one of them :)

i agree on all points you make. TSW was great for me a few years ago. but the endgame grind went stale for me. loved the difficulty level with that game, involved combat yes but ive since decided its a little stiff and traditional with click casting etc. lots of options with spells but in my experience cookie cutter builds were still favored.

like you i was a bit lost after tsw and totally didnt expect to be playing the fantasy genre again. but here i am.
    fond memories of tsw but i doubt ill ever reinstall it.
    Lotro, tried it, not interested.
    Options
  • Thoric
    Thoric
    ✭✭
    Keep the votes coming in.

Elder Scrolls Online
    51.8%

Lord of the Rings Online
    48.2%
    (Thank you for your vote!)
    Edited by Thoric on January 2, 2015 2:30PM
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys, time to widen the gap. I'm back after a long New Year break. Lets finish them.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen some chatter in a couple of my guilds about this, so I know people are thinking about it. I have seen a lot fewer people complaining about registration on the website.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was generalising as if this was anything like real the final would have been EVE v's WOW simple as that. Half the 'mmos' in this face-off are dead games anyway and it was all very biased. Don't let me stop you thou...feel free to make an account on there site to vote so they can then claim they're the "most visited MMO website"[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 6:58PM
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
    Options
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol.

What?

This game looks better? That's why you would vote for it? Is that the only thing it has left is its looks?

I know guys that play lotor and will ask them to name ten bugs still in game after a six month period. Then I will look at eso over the last six months.

Did that. Lotor wins.

Sorry beautiful, it's not about looks, it's about working correctly.

For me its more about a few things:

1. Love the lore of both games. LOTRO has bastardized their lore much more.
    2. ESO has the best combat system in any MMO ever whereas LOTRO's combat is like a crappier WoW (and it's hard to be worse than WoW at anything.)
    3. ESO PvP is the best PvP I've ever played in an MMO (never played DAoC.)
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks so much for the support with this one, guys! Looks like voting ends tonight, so let's finish strong!

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/9253/The-Great-MMO-FaceOff-of-2014-THE-FINALS.html
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did that. Lotor wins.

Lotor is a villian from Voltron.

LoTRO is a game that I used to play constantly. I went thru WIldermore when it first came out and was burned out on the game, so left for GW2 beta and launch. I ran my second main thru 9 months later, so I could catch up to my guildies. My first character thru reported 10 bug reports an hour in that area. (I counted) My LM? He had even more nine months later, MOST OF THEM THE SAME BUGS. They apparently stopped caring about bugs after their warden mitigation fiasco around the time of Isengard, which the PLAYERS, including myself, had to test and bring to their attention, repeatedly in the forums until they admitted they broke something, promising to fix it "soon". Speaking of which, it took them 18 months and three devs to even try to fix it, then broke it again with the new trait trees.

[edit] BTW, thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite positive "We can do it" villains.
    Edited by Darlgon on January 2, 2015 4:47PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Options
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Despair9 wrote: »
    Sindala wrote: »
    [snip]

[snip]

[snip]

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Vanilla WoW was a fantastic MMORPG, and that is mainly the reason why it was such a big success.

Compared to ESO, there was 10x the amount of end game content when it released (it took 5 months for the World First Ragnaros) & more casual players never really ran out of things to do either (dungeons were worth running, PvP was worth doing etc).

Also the classes were much more defined. You could play a rogue, mage or warrior character, without feeling forced to slot damage shields or heals. Each class had their own playstyle and you really played a role in PvP/PvE.

In ESO, everyone pretty much does the same thing, without any big differences (especially in PvP, with the dmg shield/heal spam going on).

In short, there are many aspects even in today's dumbed down WoW (10 year old game) which I'd actually like to see in ESO, while I do prefer the more action oriented combat of ESO, as well as the lore & graphics of ESO.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 7:00PM
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    [snip]

[snip]

[snip]

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Vanilla WoW was a fantastic MMORPG.

Compared to ESO, there was 10x the amount of end game content when it released (it took 5 months for the World First Ragnaros) & more casual players never really ran out of things to do either (dungeons were worth running, PvP was worth doing etc).

Also the classes were much more defined. You could play a rogue, mage or warrior character, without feeling forced to slot damage shields or heals. Each class had their own playstyle and you really played a role in PvP/PvE.

In ESO, everyone pretty much does the same thing, without any big differences (especially in PvP, with the dmg shield/heal spam going on).

In short, there are many aspects even in today's dumbed down WoW (10 year old game) which I'd actually like to see in ESO, while I do prefer the more action oriented combat of ESO, as well as the lore & graphics of ESO.

[snip] Vanilla WoW had the worst class balance, 2nd worst is WoD. It's really bad because it's WoW, they have one of the worst balancing issues in the whole genre (10 years straight). I've never played a more unbalanced PvP and I've tried so many MMORPGs. In PvE it was never better, right now you have certain classes that are doing 3x more DPS than the worst class (which would be rogue atm).

Btw did you know that only Cyrodiil is as big as whole Eastern Kingdoms? Did you notice how detailed Cyrodiil is? Vanilla WoW was so barren (it still is).
    When you say "content", what do you mean with that?

- Barren Zones?
    - 1000 -> 3rd class quests?
    - Reputation Grind?

[edited baiting & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 7:04PM
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw did you know that only Cyrodiil is as big as whole Eastern Kingdoms?

How are you measuring this? 1... 2... 3.... many...

:smile:

Elder Scrolls Online
    51.8%

Lord of the Rings Online
    48.2%

Holding, but it is still pretty close.

Options
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

[snip]

[snip]

[snip] Vanilla WoW had the worst class balance, 2nd worst is WoD. It's really bad because it's WoW, they have one of the worst balancing issues in the whole genre (10 years straight). I've never played a more unbalanced PvP and I've tried so many MMORPGs. In PvE it was never better, right now you have certain classes that are doing 3x more DPS than the worst class (which would be rogue atm).

Btw did you know that only Cyrodiil is as big as whole Eastern Kingdoms? Did you notice how detailed Cyrodiil is? Vanilla WoW was so barren (it still is).

- Barren Zones?
    - Reputation Grind?

Worst class balance? All classes were actually required at raids, and atleast all archetypes were playable in PvP.
    List of things you can not play viably in ESO PvP: rogue, mage, warlock, warrior, druid, hunter... from other games: assassin, sorcerer, barbarian, wizard, thief etc etc I could go on (basicly 99% of classic RPG archetypes).

I do agree there were some balance issues (Enhancement Shamans one shotting badly geared people with Windfury comes to mind), but still the PvP was leaps & bounds more balanced than ESO dmg shield/heal fest.

I can find you PvP videos of each class from vanilla WoW to prove they were all atleast competitive in PvP, while I'm quite sure you can't find one that shows a "warrior", "rogue" or "mage" type character that works in ESO PvP.

It doesn't matter either how big or detailed Cyrodiil is either, when you only go back & forth between keeps like a zombie.
    There's a lot of potential however, and I have faith it'll be a pleasant experience one day.

Also, I don't see how you find reputation grind as a negative. Similar system could work very well in ESO (as opposed to the RNG Undaunted helms/shoulders).

I don't know how things are in current WoW, I stopped playing/following it after it started dumbing down, somewhere before WotLK.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 7:05PM
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you lot not figured it out yet? lol
    This whole 'face-off' is a set up to promote LotRO.
    They come back from behind to take the title from the mighty WOW killer ESO.....lol.
    It's all a big scam to basically be a slap in the face to ESO and you lot fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I don't remember ESO ever being called a WoW killer. I know Wildstar was being called that and well.....yeah

I'm not even sure we need any "WoW killer". WoW killed itself 5+ years ago. Sure they are doing fine, but so is runescape, angry birds etc..

To be honest WoW was never that good to begin with. I've played it for 7+ years and the BC experience is nowhere near ESO even though half-finished. So yeah..But then again, if you want a game to be popular you just dumb it down and build it around teenager playerbase..

No need to lie. Vanilla WoW had the worst class balance, 2nd worst is WoD. It's really bad because it's WoW, they have one of the worst balancing issues in the whole genre (10 years straight). I've never played a more unbalanced PvP and I've tried so many MMORPGs. In PvE it was never better, right now you have certain classes that are doing 3x more DPS than the worst class (which would be rogue atm).

- Barren Zones?
    - Reputation Grind?

Worst class balance? All classes were actually required at raids, and atleast all archetypes were playable in PvP.
    List of things you can not play viably in ESO PvP: rogue, mage, warlock, warrior, druid, hunter (basicly 99% of classic RPG archetypes)

I do agree there were some balance issues (Enhancement Shamans one shotting badly geared people with Windfury comes to mind), but still the PvP was leaps & bounds more balanced than ESO dmg shield/heal fest.

I can find you PvP videos of each class from vanilla WoW to prove they were all atleast competitive in PvP, while I'm quite sure you can't find one that shows a "warrior", "rogue" or "mage" type character that works in ESO PvP.

It doesn't matter either how big or detailed Cyrodiil is either, when you only go back & forth between keeps like a zombie.
    There's a lot of potential however, and I have faith it'll be a pleasant experience one day.

Also, I don't see how you find reputation grind as a negative. Similar system could work very well in ESO (as opposed to the RNG Undaunted helms/shoulders).

I don't know how things are in current WoW, I stopped playing/following it after it started dumbing down, somewhere before WotLK.

I'm not saying it was that BAD, just that I don't find it as good as "Vanilla ESO". Personal opinion ;) I'm pretty sure Vanilla WoW for sure didn't have as much "Zone" Content as ESO has right from the launch. In that aspect ESO launched with far more Content.

Also when you take into consideration all the fully voiced quests and great story writing there is really no competition anymore.

They did launch with many Dungeons I'll give them that (20), but most of them were so long and dull. Even today it's such a pain going through them. Raids were pretty decent though.

@lordrichter‌

I did some big research months ago :D

Eastern Kingdoms is supposedly around 100 square kilometers.

If I'm not mistaken during beta there was some video (dev interview or something) about how Cyrodiil is 10 x 10 km. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Edited by Bloodfang on January 2, 2015 4:21PM
    Options
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you lot not figured it out yet? lol
    This whole 'face-off' is a set up to promote LotRO.
    They come back from behind to take the title from the mighty WOW killer ESO.....lol.
    It's all a big scam to basically be a slap in the face to ESO and you lot fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I don't remember ESO ever being called a WoW killer. I know Wildstar was being called that and well.....yeah

I'm not even sure we need any "WoW killer". WoW killed itself 5+ years ago. Sure they are doing fine, but so is runescape, angry birds etc..

To be honest WoW was never that good to begin with. I've played it for 7+ years and the BC experience is nowhere near ESO even though half-finished. So yeah..But then again, if you want a game to be popular you just dumb it down and build it around teenager playerbase..

No need to lie. Vanilla WoW had the worst class balance, 2nd worst is WoD. It's really bad because it's WoW, they have one of the worst balancing issues in the whole genre (10 years straight). I've never played a more unbalanced PvP and I've tried so many MMORPGs. In PvE it was never better, right now you have certain classes that are doing 3x more DPS than the worst class (which would be rogue atm).

- Barren Zones?
    - Reputation Grind?

List of things you can not play viably in ESO PvP: rogue, mage, warlock, warrior, druid, hunter (basicly 99% of classic RPG archetypes)

I'm not saying it was that BAD, just that I don't find it as good as "Vanilla ESO". Personal opinion ;) I'm pretty sure Vanilla WoW for sure didn't have as much "Zone" Content as ESO has right from the launch. In that aspect ESO launched with far more Content.

Also when you take into consideration all the fully voiced quests and great story writing there is really no competition anymore.

They did launch with many Dungeons I'll give them that (20), but most of them were so long and dull. Even today it's such a pain going through them. Raids were pretty decent though.

@lordrichter‌

I did some big researches many months ago :D

Eastern Kingdoms is supposedly around 100 square kilometers.

If I'm not mistaken during beta there was some video about how Cyrodiil is 10 x 10. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it took me about the same amount of time to get 1-60, as it took 1-VR5~ in ESO. It was so long ago that I can't say for certain.

The dungeons being long was actually a good thing (requested by many people in ESO as well), and I personally didn't find them dull at all (especially compared to ESO, where they're hardly worth running).

But these are opinions, so we can just agree to disagree.
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it took me about the same amount of time to get 1-60, as it took 1-VR5~ in ESO. It was so long ago that I can't say for certain.

The dungeons being long was actually a good thing (requested by many people in ESO as well), and I personally didn't find them dull at all (especially compared to ESO, where they're hardly worth running).

Hard to say I don't remember that much anymore, but there are a few things I'm pretty sure about.

1. 1-VR14 took me at least 2-3x longer than 1-60
    2. 1-60 took me 100x longer than everything after BC to reach max level

About dungeons though, I consider BC ones by far the best. The one thing that I noticed many people always hated about dungeons in WoW are the thrash mobs . Sooo many..You ended up spending most of the time clearing thrash..
    Edited by Bloodfang on January 2, 2015 4:33PM
    Options
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And all go offtopic again. Need to stop it. Again.

›Elder Scrolls Online
    52.0%
    ›Lord of the Rings Online
    48.0%
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭

›Elder Scrolls Online
    52.0%
    48.0%

No worries I'm multi-tasking today ;)

Spending time spamming in Zones, it seems like it's working.
    Options
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

›Elder Scrolls Online
    52.0%
    48.0%

philosoraptor-meme-generator-if-going-off-topic-is-the-norm-are-we-actually-on-topic-when-we-go-off-topic-39bd6d.jpg
    Options
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

›Elder Scrolls Online
    52.0%
    48.0%

philosoraptor-meme-generator-if-going-off-topic-is-the-norm-are-we-actually-on-topic-when-we-go-off-topic-39bd6d.jpg

LOL!

52.3 - 47.7
    Nice!
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

›Elder Scrolls Online
    52.0%
    48.0%

I am hoping you are using "spamming" as a form of hyperbole.

I have been in several zones today and only the occasional peep on the subject. I don't want so many announcements that people get reported :smile:

Options
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played LotRO for few years and I loved it. But I have to admit that this game doesn't evolve at all, each update makes it even worse then it was before. And ESO gets better with each new update. So I voted for ESO, but LotRO is still beautiful game.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
    Options
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭

›Elder Scrolls Online
    52.0%
    48.0%

I am hoping you are using "spamming" as a form of hyperbole.

I have been in several zones today and only the occasional peep on the subject. I don't want so many announcements that people get reported :smile:

Nah my spam button is on a cooldown :wink:

Edited by Bloodfang on January 2, 2015 5:10PM
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a long time veteran of LotrO which I have played since day one, and being also a player here since beta - I have to say that as usual, people overlook a lot of obvious with these polls.

In many ways, LotrO is like WoW (aside from it's systems) in that it is a massive game, been around now for many years, and it has seen many ups and downs. Most especially, it's community is by far... FAR... way more resilient than this one here - just by virtue of sheer longevity and willingness to endure what we have both in game and on the game forums. That it was nearly killed off altogether by a former CM who thankfully FINALLY departed before he finished banning from the official forums every single player who even hinted at a problem with the game, is a testament in of itself - I care not what the outcome of the poll is on that front. For those of you still around on OF, you know who and what I mean....

This game here and it's community is way too young, has not gelled, and is still fighting within itself to form. That we are still here and still playing is only part of the process. My hope is that the game matures and that the community will invest not only it's time playing but also some of its heart into creating a community that is more invested in helping each other as players to grow the game than in talking smack in chat, gouging other players at guild stores, and just generally being out for themselves. Heck we where more "together" during beta than at present, IMHO.

As far as which is a better game - they are simply apples and oranges. Not a worthy comparison.
    Edited by Soulshine on January 3, 2015 2:46AM
    Options
  • Morshire
    Morshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »
    As a long time veteran of LotrO which I have played since day one, and being also a player here since beta - I have to say that as usual, people overlook a lot of obvious with these polls.

In many ways, LotrO is like WoW (aside from it's systems) in that it is a massive game, been around now for many years, and it has seen many ups and downs. Most especially, it's community is by far... FAR... way more resilient than this one here - just by virtue of sheer longevity and willingness to endure what we have both in game and on the game forums. That it was nearly killed off altogether by a former CM who thankfully FINALLY departed before he finished banning from the official forums every single player who even hinted at a problem with the game, ish a testament in of itself - I care not what the outcome of the poll is on that front. For those of you still around on OF, you know who and what I mean....

This game here and it's community is way too young, has not gelled, and is still fighting within itself to form. That we are still here and still playing is only part of the process. My hope is that the game matures and that the community will invest not only it's time playing but also some of its heart into creating a community that is more invested in helping each other as players to grow the game than in talking smack in chat, gouging other players at guild stores, and just generally being out for themselves. Heck we where more "together" during beta than at present, IMHO.

As far as which is a better game - they are simply apples and oranges. Not a worthy comparison.

Well put. ;)
    Follow me if I advance, Kill me if I retreat, Avenge me if I die.

When this immediate evil power has been defeated, we shall not yet have won the long battle with the elemental barbarities. Another evil, it may be an invisible adversary, will attempt, again, and yet again, to destroy our frail civilization. Is it true, I wonder, that the only way to escape a war is to be in it?

If I die, you are forgiven, If I live, I will kill you.
    Options
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    My vote is in for ESO, of course. :wink:
    Current Status:
    Eso: 52.6%
    LotRO: 47.4%
    Options
  • renton1x1x1
    renton1x1x1
    ✭✭✭
    time for the final push go eso!!!
    Renton Sc Breton Sorcerer VR14
    Renton Tp Argonian Templar VR14
    Renton Dk Imperial DragonKnight VR14
    Renton Nb Khajiit Nightblade VR10 Vampire

www.alitheso.com Casual Social EU PvX Guild

Ebonheart Pact EU PVP Decimation Elite Azura's Star
    The Traveling Merchant
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/190077/the-traveling-merchant-eu-craglorn-trading-guild

So let me get this straight: You want to ride on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and beg with him for your freedom. And you're telling me that you're completely sane? - Rimmer - Red Dwarf V - Quarantine
    Options
  • Laerania_ESO
    Laerania_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ok lets talk about the metascore... which one wins?
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They only filter comments directly written by offensive people (on ignore list) not everything that the person says. They don't filter out quotes and they don't filter out discussions started by the person. I don't think that Vanilla Forums is designed for this at all, to be honest. The default plugin for ignoring people only allows 5 people to be on the list. Zenimax asked for 12 because they know us so well. :smile:

Elder Scrolls Online
    53.0%

Lord of the Rings Online
    47.0%

Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »

In many ways, LotrO is like WoW (aside from it's systems) in that it is a massive game, been around now for many years, and it has seen many ups and downs. Most especially, it's community is by far... FAR... way more resilient than this one here - just by virtue of sheer longevity and willingness to endure what we have both in game and on the game forums. That it was nearly killed off altogether by a former CM who thankfully FINALLY departed before he finished banning from the official forums every single player who even hinted at a problem with the game, ish a testament in of itself - I care not what the outcome of the poll is on that front. For those of you still around on OF, you know who and what I mean....

Soo...

Did you vote apples or oranges?
    Options
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    53% to ESO
    47% to LOTRO

Doing well folks, just hold out until this evening!

On another note, ESO is now the 6th highest-rated game on MMORPG.com! It has a rating of 8.02, overtaking Darkfall Unholy Wars.

We could maybe attempt to overtake Rift, which stands at 8.12! It's another good way to positively promote ESO aside from the faceoff. If you go on to ESO's game page on MMORPG.com, go to Ratings, sign in with your account and give ESO some good ratings if you haven't already! If we overtake Rift we'd become the 5th-highest-rated game on MMORPG.com!

Let's get ESO into the spotlight!
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    Options