Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The future of the User interface which is currently awfull.

• TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    zhevon wrote: »
    $10 this game doesn't ever make it to consoles... and if it does, anyone remember "Two Worlds" when it was released? ESO barely functions on the PC game mechanics wise. I can't imagine how aweful and sluggish it would be on a console. You think they are slow fixing things and getting hot fixes our on the PC? Imagine when every update has to clear and get approval from Microsoft or Sony before even going out....complete nightmare.
    Probably right, and its sad they broke the UI for the consoles if it will never show up there.

If it does show up my guess it will be delayed long enough and show up on XB1 and PS4 only.

Someone never played a TES game before, evidently.

Who cares, this isn't a TES game, it's an MMORG based on TES lore :). Plus Skyrim's awfull UI is also existing because of console port, same with Oblivion.

This is acceptable for single player games, not for MMORPGs.
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 29, 2014 2:24PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »
    $10 this game doesn't ever make it to consoles... and if it does, anyone remember "Two Worlds" when it was released? ESO barely functions on the PC game mechanics wise. I can't imagine how aweful and sluggish it would be on a console. You think they are slow fixing things and getting hot fixes our on the PC? Imagine when every update has to clear and get approval from Microsoft or Sony before even going out....complete nightmare.
    Probably right, and its sad they broke the UI for the consoles if it will never show up there.

If it does show up my guess it will be delayed long enough and show up on XB1 and PS4 only.

Who cares, this isn't a TES game, it's an MMORG based on TES lore :). Plus Skyrim's awfull UI is also existing because of console port, same with Oblivion.

That just show, if necessary, how clueless you are. I wish I could find a link to the "devs vision" for this game so maybe you'd understand why what you say is bull.

This is TES Online, it's not a single player NOR a generic hotbar MMO

You are welcome
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That just show, if necessary, how clueless you are. I wish I could find a link to the "devs vision" for this game so maybe you'd understand why what you say is bull.

You are welcome

You won't find because as they have stated, they internally don't even agree about what the UI should be like and what it should contain which is why some things that existed in beta and alpha didn't make it to live. Sad to call people ignorant when all you say is based on makeup stories from your wild imagination.

This is an MMORPG based on TES lore. Nothing more, nothing less.

You're welcome.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are welcome

You won't find because as they have stated, they internally don't even agree about what the UI should be like and what it should contain which is why some things that existed in beta and alpha didn't make it to live. Sad to call people ignorant when all you say is based on makeup stories from your wild imagination.

You're welcome.
    Wrong, during beta they published 2 producer letters explaining why it wasn't a standard generic MMO and what was their vision. Anyone who participated at least in the beta weekends can tell you.

But it's pointless, you wouldn't understand or agree and anyway the HUD is not changing so...
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are welcome

You're welcome.
    Wrong, during beta they published 2 producer letters explaining why it wasn't a standard generic MMO and what was their vision. Anyone who participated at least in the beta weekends can tell you.

But it's pointless, you wouldn't understand or agree and anyway the HUD is not changing so...

I was there in beta and never saw anything like this, moreover, the game is half dead and one of the top complains of people leaving is the sucky UI.

At one point they'll have to address this :), preferably before TES6 and all the solo players quit the game since they are the only ones fearing a good UI.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are welcome

You're welcome.

I was there in beta and never saw anything like this, moreover, the game is half dead and one of the top complains of people leaving is the sucky UI.

At one point they'll have to address this :), preferably before TES6 and all the solo players quit the game since they are the only ones fearing a good UI.

Well then, we are set for a couple of years, just sit back and relax.

Ah, you mind passing us a link to whatever numbers you have about subs numbers?
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are welcome

You're welcome.

Won't waste time on this just look at any website that makes statistics about the most played games (xfire, Raptr, Steam etc etc etc), you'll see WOW, LOL DOTA in Top 5 and ESO will be below position 15 if it's even in the results.
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 29, 2014 3:09PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are welcome

You're welcome.

Won't waste time on this just look at any website that makes statistics about the most played games (xfire, Raptr, Steam etc etc etc), you'll see WOW, LOL DOTA in Top 5 and ESO will be below position 15 if it's even in the results.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA HIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHI UHUHUHUHUHUH

oook
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    @mutnarex is right btw, the link no longer works for the blog entry on zos site.

Said they were looking at what captures the vision of elder scrolls online and not what makes an mmo.

also used lines such as the latest chapter of the award winning series.
  • michaelb14a_ESO2
    michaelb14a_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭

You are welcome

You're welcome.

I don't really understand what it is you two disagree on. Can we all agree that the UI is a point of failure in the game? Regardless of if your a potential console player or perma PC player, consoles will NOT get the option of addons. This alone will severely hurt the games console potential b/c of the poorly designed UI. How do we know that? You don't need sub numbers, just ask yourself:

"if tomorrow ZOS completely removed the API and disallowed UI addons completely... what would happen?"

Answer:
    You would see a mass exodus of players, so large it would probably be catastrophic and the game would never recover. That's the experience the console version promises. Who cares if the UI design was inspired by cross platform or console design? Even if your happy with the UI, enough people's experience relies so heavily on addons that without it the game fails. Either way, the UI design is so career endingly bad that it guarantees cross-platform failure unless it's changed.
    Edited by michaelb14a_ESO2 on September 29, 2014 11:40PM
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are welcome

You're welcome.

I don't really understand what it is you two disagree on. Can we all agree that the UI is a point of failure in the game? Regardless of if your a potential console player or perma PC player, consoles will NOT get the option of addons. This alone will severely hurt the games console potential b/c of the poorly designed UI. How do we know that? You don't need sub numbers, just ask yourself:

"if tomorrow ZOS completely removed the API and disallowed UI addons completely... what would happen?"

Answer:
    You would see a mass exodus of players, so large it would probably be catastrophic and the game would never recover. That's the experience the console version promises. Who cares if the UI design was inspired by cross platform or console design? Even if your happy with the UI, enough people's experience relies so heavily on addons that without it the game fails. Either way, the UI design is so career endingly bad that it guarantees cross-platform failure unless it's changed.

Indeed, I don't see this game being successful on consoles without the UI being fixed and basic things being implemented like the ability to move bars, see bufs/debuffs, DPS meter. People are going to try it, play happily with their 2H stamina build until they get to hard content and realize they can't clear it because their build sucks and they are clueless about what's going on.

Failure inc.

Without addons people couldn't theorycraft, couldn't see what does damage what doesn't, couldn't have found bugs such as the ones @Attorneyatlawl‌ found regarding sharpened trait. Without addons 90% of end game raiders would have quit the game and the remaining ones wouldn't be capable of clearing content...
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 30, 2014 9:38AM
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    R1ckyDaMan wrote: »
    Yep that is why I can complete anything just fine without needing a single addon and you lot are crying for more information...

That's the case because there is no real challenge in this game besides the new trial. I want to play top notch, so I need more information. If you don't want it, fine with me. But that's no reason why I shouldn't have that possibility (aka a useful interface).

The interface is fine for what the game provides, if that is not good for you then maybe go play a game that is good for you?

[snip]

It is not. Iirc, we are supposed to tell what happens from the animations ingame. While this is possible if you're playing on your own (for this, the standard UI is enough, thats right) it's bad for group play. I can't tell if my buffs/debuffs are still up or not; I can't even tell if my skills are working as I expect them to work. That's where addons are needed. Or can you tell me, how debuffs work on bosses? If dots are overwritten by another player using the same skill? How to manage magicka-efficient uptime of half a dozen buffs/debuffs? How would you find out the mechanics for skills (what they scale off, etc.) without reliable feedback? Oh, and did you know that there are/have been a few bugged skills and stats which most likely would have not been discovered without people using addons?

All of that can be covered in a combat log. It doesn't have to be on screen.
    show me the non addon combat log of this game plz .....................

you see the problem? this ui is pure garbage on so many lvls its disgusting.

wich addons should have been implemented from the beginning?
    advanced filters
    a grp window mod like "warlegends grp window/ggframes" allowing rezising and moving of the group window/raid frame
    a minimap - instead of having a minimap in one corner of the screen we are forced to overlay the whole screen without beeing able to see the game while navigating wich is one of the intended goals ^^
    atleast "azurah" - to allow the movement of the given hud elemenets like player healthbar etc - you dont want the player to play the ui but you spread the hud elements all over the screen instead of bringing them together or atleast give us the option to do so ^^
    a combat log option like "CLS" with actual information of what attacks have been used by and towards you.
    Edited by Tankqull on September 30, 2014 10:07AM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    Yep that is why I can complete anything just fine without needing a single addon and you lot are crying for more information...

That's the case because there is no real challenge in this game besides the new trial. I want to play top notch, so I need more information. If you don't want it, fine with me. But that's no reason why I shouldn't have that possibility (aka a useful interface).

The interface is fine for what the game provides, if that is not good for you then maybe go play a game that is good for you?

[snip]

It is not. Iirc, we are supposed to tell what happens from the animations ingame. While this is possible if you're playing on your own (for this, the standard UI is enough, thats right) it's bad for group play. I can't tell if my buffs/debuffs are still up or not; I can't even tell if my skills are working as I expect them to work. That's where addons are needed. Or can you tell me, how debuffs work on bosses? If dots are overwritten by another player using the same skill? How to manage magicka-efficient uptime of half a dozen buffs/debuffs? How would you find out the mechanics for skills (what they scale off, etc.) without reliable feedback? Oh, and did you know that there are/have been a few bugged skills and stats which most likely would have not been discovered without people using addons?

All of that can be covered in a combat log. It doesn't have to be on screen.
    show me the non addon combat log of this game plz .....................

you see the problem? this ui is pure garbage on so many lvls its disgusting.

wich addons should have been implemented from the beginning?
    advanced filters
    a grp window mod like "warlegends grp window/ggframes" allowing rezising and moving of the group window/raid frame
    a minimap - instead of having a minimap in one corner of the screen we are forced to overlay the whole screen without beeing able to see the game while navigating wich is one of the intended goals ^^
    atleast "azurah" - to allow the movement of the given hud elemenets like player healthbar etc - you dont want the player to play the ui but you spread the hud elements all over the screen instead of bringing them together or atleast give us the option to do so ^^
    a combat log option like "CLS" with actual information of what attacks have been used by and towards you.

Wasn't arguing with you on this.
    ESO needs a comprehensive combat log....but that can be a text file in the log folder on the drive. Would tell me everything I want for research and trouble shooting.

Tweaking the UI is fine with me as long as I don't end up with 20 skill bars with 10 skills and numbers flying around all over the place like rain in a storm.

My main concern is the main LIVE screen.
    NOT the ALT and ESC screens....do what you like with those..they need work.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on September 30, 2014 10:57AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well thats what my ui looks like: http://www.directupload.net/file/u/29426/xf9kwok9_jpg.htm +toggleable minimap
    and the mods making it look like that should have been in the base ui from the beginning aswell.
    thats a summ of 4 or 5 addons tweaking the main ui slightly.
    and sth like 40 to fix all the bagground failures made ^^
    Edited by Tankqull on September 30, 2014 11:07AM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well thats what my ui looks like: http://www.directupload.net/file/u/29426/xf9kwok9_jpg.htm +toggleable minimap
    and the mods making it look like that should have been in the base ui from the beginning aswell.

"The horror... the horror..."
  • Two-Dogs
    Two-Dogs
    ✭✭✭
    Generally I find the UI fine.

Sure you could do more with more information - but we don't *need* that information. As a QOL change it makes sense but its also a form of empowerment that if introduced does provide an advantage.

The UI design elements that do bug me are Quick-Slot wheel and lack of keyboard search support, which have clearly been designed for a console port.

Edit: key-board//keyboard. Not quite sure what a key-board is.. A board for keys?
    Edited by Two-Dogs on September 30, 2014 11:12AM
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two-Dogs wrote: »
    Generally I find the UI fine.

Sure you could do more with more information - but we don't *need* that information. As a QOL change it makes sense but its also a form of empowerment that if introduced does provide an advantage.

The UI design elements that do bug me are Quick-Slot wheel and lack of keyboard search support, which have clearly been designed for a console port.

Edit: key-board//keyboard. Not quite sure what a key-board is.. A board for keys?

Which is the worst advantage? An add-on only informed people can download or a UI that you can modify directly in the game?
  • GwaynLoki
    GwaynLoki
    ✭✭✭
    For me, the problems is that I don't believe this was a decision to make the game more "immersive". They were simply unwilling to put more work into a decently working UI and decided to call the lacking one they made a "feature". In addition, there are lots of these issues where you wonder what the devs were thinking.
    • Non-stackable siege?
    • A quickslot-wheel? What am I supposed to do with the standard UI? Stop in the middle of a PvP-fight, press q and select the potion I currently need? And that's ok because a) everyone can use addons and b) if no one uses addons we all have an equally bad time with this? Come on, you know better. This is simply a bad design decision and nothing else.
    • No other option to track debuffs on an ally other than visually checking? Using TS for calling out debuffs on yourself is simlpy unrealistic, cleansing is something that needs to be done by the healer as fast as possible and mustn't require the work and attention of 2 persons and half an eternity of time. A disease debuff reduces healing taken by player by 50%. You really want to tell me I should start looking around me for visual signs on my allies toons for this debuff? Or waste twice the resources on healing him just because the game needs to be more immersive?
    • The search guild store options were another of these strange decisions, making the whole job of searching a guild store indeed a tedious job.
    • As someone has mentioned here already, the lack of reliable access to information in this game has (for months) effectively hidden the fact that the Sharpened trait is broken.

I am sure this doesn't matter much to those who play this game as a single player PvE game with an online option, but really, this stuff IS important if you want to play more difficult content or PvP. And I am not talking about public dungeons or Veteran Wayrest Sewers. It is NOT the job of private persons to provide this game with addons that bring its lacking UI up or at least close to the standard MMO UIs. And no matter what you say, this is an MMO. The fact that other TES games could live with such a scarce UI has a lot to do with the fact that in a single player game, if you fail and die, you can simply reload. And the small advantage that you can pause the game.
    Edited by GwaynLoki on October 1, 2014 10:11AM
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is absolutely terrible. If you think that is a good idea then you need to keep your mouth shut about what would make a good UI. You obviously have no concept of what a UI should be...

Don't get me wrong I think there is definitely room for improvement, but good god man.
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lordspyder wrote: »

That is absolutely terrible. If you think that is a good idea then you need to keep your mouth shut about what would make a good UI. You obviously have no concept of what a UI should be...

Don't get me wrong I think there is definitely room for improvement, but good god man.

The point of a good UI is to be able to customize it as you want to play it your way.

I don't have my UI as him and definitively don't like having all the quests on the right side nor the stam health mana bars like he does but if he likes it that way what do you care?

I think you're the one who should keep your mouth shut since you're clearly missing the point of this threat which isn't to define what a good UI is but rather asking for the means to use the UI as we want and with more information than is currently available.
  • Meggedo
    Meggedo

You are welcome

You are welcome
    Your Obviously new to MMOs and a console Fan boy. The UI is crap, has been since BETA, the bugs are out of control still apparently, but they are getting ready to launch on PS4, and Xbox 1. This just supports the theory that it was geared toward consoles, and not PC formats. Using programmers with limited knowledge of real MMO playing is the downfall of this game, which is why so many canceled and left it, and now they are going F2P. So you wasted a but load of money on a monthly sub, paying for early release on a box version, and just plain got rolled over so they could fund their defunct PC game over to console. I am sure their will be an abundance of 10-15 year old who jump on it with ZERO knowledge of how an MMO actually works. My system is built for PC gaming, not console gaming masked by the idea of it is a PC game. I supposed I could have just bought an Xbox stick, and played this piece of crap much easier.
    Overlord of Black Knights of Virtue, Needful Things, and White Knights of Virtue
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playing MMOs on console is like playing FPS on consoles: For noobs.
  • MikeMoss
    MikeMoss
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Well just to get in my two cents worth.

I want multiple buttons for using potions, say the 7 8 9 keys, and I want 6 active combat buttons.

I hate the radial menu thing.

I don't mind not having a mini map, I played Skyrim so much that the compass bar thing is like second nature now.

But I would like to be able to make the UI smaller than it is, it looks really horsey on my 27" monitor.

Saying that I haven't even looked to see if there are addons that would do any of what I want, so I guess I'm not too unhappy with it.

Mike
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could have sworn this was older than September, but "Nice Rez," regardless.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Rakkul
    Rakkul
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote]

But it's pointless, you wouldn't understand or agree and anyway the HUD is not changing so...[/quote]

Firstly I'm not arguing one side or the other here, it's obvious people have different tastes -and that's a good thing.

The possible problems occur with a developers 'vision for a game' is when that vision isn't overly popular, consequently putting people off a game.

There have been many instances in the past where a development team's ideas have just not gone down well with the mmo player base. This is an mmo, and it competes with others for player numbers. Sure it has the Skyrim association, but you can say there's a near identical situation with SWTOR with it's Star Wars association. It's an mmo.

Any restrictive features in mmo's harm population numbers, such is the competitive nature of the genre. I can't help thinking that a full mmo type UI, with easily de-selectable features for those who want a minimalist outlay, would help increase the attraction of the game.

That would seem to cater for both camps, those who are used to a more standard mmo UI and those who prefer the minimalist layout - and also anything in between.

As it is, a section of the player base is reliant on the add on authors not becoming disinterested with the game, or simply moving on to another one. That is not ideal.
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakkul wrote: »
    Firstly I'm not arguing one side or the other here, it's obvious people have different tastes -and that's a good thing.

You just necro-bumped (and responded to) a year and a half old thread. Please check thread dates before posting.
    Edited by Divinius on January 4, 2016 2:32PM
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Divinius wrote: »
    Rakkul wrote: »

You just necro-bumped (and responded to) a year and a half old thread. Please check thread dates before posting.

True enough, this is a very old thread, but the issue is still very valid. Maybe even more so, considering console users can't use add-ons. I use the Console UI for game play (it's fantastic for a controller on a large TV), but switch to PC UI for most inventory and menu chores, since most add-ons don't work in the Console UI. Inventory management is horrid without add-ons. I really sympathize with console users. At least I can switch between modes.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)