The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Any crossplay plans coming with the new servers changes?

• FireBreathingNord
    FireBreathingNord
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    While we don't have any news to share about cross-play or cross-save functionality at this time, we want to acknowledge that we do see this request often. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the reasons why you would like to see this functionality in ESO. What pain points are you running into that this would help solve? The feedback here is helpful for us to share with the team.

I appreciate your interest in hearing about our perspective on cross-play and cross-save. Personally, the pain point I've faced is during my transition from console to PC NA. Starting from scratch was a significant challenge. Finding groups for endgame content was tough, and I lost achievements that I had worked hard to earn on console. Cross-save would have made this transition much smoother and kept my achievements intact. It would be a game-changer for players like me, enabling more flexibility and improving the overall experience. I hope this feedback helps.
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »

Of course Sony is responsible for not allowing add-ons on ps.

Do you have a source for that? If Sony were the thing holding up mods on PS, then it would seem that ZOS would be free to make mods possible on the Xbox -- since it's Microsoft all the way down -- and they haven't done that either.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Majority of the playerbase want cross save

Evidence?
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »

Do you have a source for that? If Sony were the thing holding up mods on PS, then it would seem that ZOS would be free to make mods possible on the Xbox -- since it's Microsoft all the way down -- and they haven't done that either.

Sure, here you go:

https://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/ps5-eula/ps5_eula_en.html
    You may not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, patch, adapt or translate System Software.

As far as I understand their rules, zos would've to submit every user-generated add-on personally to Sony, so they can check if the modifications are eligible for usage on ps. A bunch of work zos is understandably not eager to do.

That's the downside of a closed system.

On a sidenote: Microsoft had almost the same rules years ago, but as @Bl4ckR3alm93 referred, that's slowly changing at the moment.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    No thanks to crossplay. The DBs choke as they are and I'm pretty sure if you try to combine 8 into 1 will be a disaster.

I seriously doubt accounts being stored together vs on separate servers has anything to do with server performance and when it crashes.

And there’s probably fewer active players right now across all three platforms than there was in early years past on just PC.

More concerned with account corruption and data loss here. Again as we do not have eyes on their setup, its moot. I do know each region and platform is separate and do not cross.
    PCNA
    PCEU
    Options
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Majority of the playerbase want cross save

Evidence?

No evidence. No one has done a large survey and published the results. This thread is just the opinions of a small number of players.

My opinion as an ESO player on PS/NA is that crossplay between console and PC would be terrible for me, and I would likely quit playing ESO.

Crafting? Forget about it on console with PC crossplay. PC add-ons make it faster to find raw materials and complete daily crafting writs. Console players would be left behind.

Veteran trials/dungeons? Forget about it on console with PC crossplay. PC add-ons are required by guilds pursuing group play achievements. Console players would not be invited to the group.

I understand folks who already want to move from playing on console to playing on PC would push for console and PC crossplay. For folks that already own a console and do not want to also purchase a gaming PC, crossplay between PC and console sounds to me like a really bad idea.
    Options
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As cool as it would be it forces some massive problems on the player base, foremost the ingame economy would see massive changes, PC prices are high, Console prices are low, what happens when the super rich of the Console world find out they have been demoted to "living in poverty" and cannot afford anything because they now have to pay 1500 gold per crown and Dreugh Wax costs 40,000 a piece and do not think console players being there would lower the value of things as a lot of the insane inflation can be blamed on pricing add-ons which only PC players can make use of so they will still hold monopoly on the market.

Im pretty sure the "super rich in console world" as you say would become even richer because then you can sell a wax for 40k instead of 6k.

Those who will take the hardest hit are console players that dont have/earn much gold from selling and console trading guilds.
    Edited by XSTRONG on October 20, 2023 4:14PM
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭

Sure, here you go:

You may not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, patch, adapt or translate System Software.

As far as I understand their rules, zos would've to submit every user-generated add-on personally to Sony, so they can check if the modifications are eligible for usage on ps. A bunch of work zos is understandably not eager to do.

On a sidenote: Microsoft had almost the same rules years ago, but as @Bl4ckR3alm93 referred, that's slowly changing at the moment.

Your reference from the EULA is about *system* software, not games, and proves nothing. If they didn't allow modding of *games*, then there wouldn't be mods for either Skyrim or Fallout 4 on PS, both of which 1) exist and 2) are owned by Bethesda, of which ZOS is a subsidiary.
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sure, here you go:

Your reference from the EULA is about *system* software, not games, and proves nothing. If they didn't allow modding of *games*, then there wouldn't be mods for either Skyrim or Fallout 4 on PS, both of which 1) exist and 2) are owned by Bethesda, of which ZOS is a subsidiary.

I think you overead this passage while going through the linked EULA thoroughly:
    This Agreement applies to any system software, firmware and Internet browser software and other application software included in your PS5 system and any patches, updates, upgrades or new versions of that system software, firmware and Internet browser software and other application software provided to or made available for your PS5 system through any SIE Inc or Sony service or online network, PlayStation™Network, SIE Inc website or PS5 game media. All software and firmware described in this paragraph is referred to collectively as "System Software" throughout this Agreement.

Besides that the internet is full of this topic. Just google it for yourself, if you don't believe me.

It's also noteworthy, that add-on support from zos is originally and ongoing with every single patch. Look for yourself:

https://wiki.esoui.com/APIVersion

So, why do think zos is maintaining add-ons on PC while they aren't available on consoles?
    Edited by Braffin on October 20, 2023 4:35PM
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭
    So, why do think zos is maintaining add-ons on PC while they aren't available on consoles?

I'm utterly lost. You say that Sony is blocking mods for ESO on PS. Regardless of what you or I think the EULA says, I point out two examples which show that Sony has already allowed mods on 2 other Bethesda games that literally everyone here is familiar with, yet you continue to insist that not having mods for ESO on PS is due to Sony's objections. :shrug:
    Edited by dk_dunkirk on October 20, 2023 4:51PM
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm utterly lost. You say that Sony is blocking mods for Bethesda games. Regardless of what you or I think the EULA says, I point out two examples which show that Sony has already allowed mods on 2 other Bethesda games that literally everyone here is familiar with, yet you continue to insist that not having mods for ESO on PS is due to Sony's objections. :shrug:

Yes, Sony allowed some mods for Skyrim and Fallout. It was quite a battle tho, below are a few links with "historical" information about that topic, if you're interested.

https://www.fanbyte.com/ready-set/fallout-4-skyrim-mod-support-called-off-on-ps4-citing-problems-with-sony
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyrimModsXbox/comments/12nkdq2/what_kind_of_restrictions_does_sony_put_on_skyrim/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2016/09/09/bethesda-sony-wont-allow-fallout-4-or-skyrim-mods-on-ps4/

Finally the two companies came to an agreement for this 2 games exclusively, eso isn't part of that deal.
    ---
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭
    Finally the two companies came to an agreement for this 2 games exclusively, eso isn't part of that deal.

So we've established that Sony has allowed mods for Bethesda games. Is there any reference that Zenimax has even asked Sony to allow mods for ESO on PS? I can't find any reference to such a thing.
    Options
  • BlackRaidho
    BlackRaidho
    ✭✭✭
    Please no.
    Regards.
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So we've established that Sony has allowed mods for Bethesda games. Is there any reference that Zenimax has even asked Sony to allow mods for ESO on PS? I can't find any reference to such a thing.

Your statement isn't entirely correct. Sony allowed a very specific bunch of mods for Skyrim and Fallout, by far not all of them.

And no, I don't have any reference if zos asked for mod implementation. I have no idea, if they even tried or spared themselves the trouble.

But that's not important anyways, as zos clearly supports add-ons at least on PC. So why should they prevent their usage on consoles on their own.

Sony and, to a lesser extent, Microsoft, have a well-documented and broadly known policy regarding user-generated content (aka add-ons and modifications). If you prefer to deny this, fine. Won't change anything.
    ---
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your statement isn't entirely correct. Sony allowed a very specific bunch of mods for Skyrim and Fallout, by far not all of them.

And no, I don't have any reference if zos asked for mod implementation. I have no idea, if they even tried or spared themselves the trouble.

But that's not important anyways, as zos clearly supports add-ons at least on PC. So why should they prevent their usage on consoles on their own.

Sony and, to a lesser extent, Microsoft, have a well-documented and broadly known policy regarding user-generated content (aka add-ons and modifications). If you prefer to deny this, fine. Won't change anything.

Two possible reasons.

First, although they responded from pressure from TES fans to introduce player-created mods on PC and know they can't now stop them without a player rebellion, they may regret their introduction and not want to extend them to console.

Second, it may have been part of the contracts with the console providers that mods would not be introduced on console and they may not want to spends time and resources negotiating a change in that position.

I'm not saying those are likely to be the reasons, just that you asked what reasons they could have and those occurred to me off the top of my head. I'm sure there could be others.
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭

Because they'd have to modify the SDK to target Playstation and Xbox (and their previous generations), and it would mean extra work for them.
    If you prefer to deny this, fine. Won't change anything.

I would just expect a statement from ZOS saying that they reached out and were rebuffed before automatically blaming Sony and/or Microsoft. You can't have anything if you don't ask.

I guess the PR beauty of not speaking about it is that it leads to people being able to believe whatever they want to believe, and useless discussions like this one on all the various forums, videos, and Discords. No such thing as "bad" engagement! Am I right, or amirite? ;-^
    Edited by dk_dunkirk on October 20, 2023 8:53PM
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Because they'd have to modify the SDK to target Playstation and Xbox (and their previous generations), and it would mean extra work for them.
    If you prefer to deny this, fine. Won't change anything.

I would just expect a statement from ZOS saying that they reached out and were rebuffed before automatically blaming Sony and/or Microsoft. You can't have anything if you don't ask.

I guess the PR beauty of not speaking about it is that it leads to people being able to believe whatever they want to believe, and useless discussions like this one on all the various forums, videos, and Discords. No such thing as "bad" engagement! Am I right, or amirite? ;-^

I agree, a simple statement about the topic would solve most of the frictions.

Unfortunately I don't expect them to do so in the foreseeable future. That's just my experience with PR-policy of tech-companies at present.

Anyways, regardless which of our 2 interpretations are finally right or wrong, we clearly see, that's a topic more complex than some of us imagine. I think we can leave the discussion at that.
    ---
    Options
  • Bl4ckR3alm93
    Bl4ckR3alm93
    ✭✭✭

I'm utterly lost. You say that Sony is blocking mods for ESO on PS. Regardless of what you or I think the EULA says, I point out two examples which show that Sony has already allowed mods on 2 other Bethesda games that literally everyone here is familiar with, yet you continue to insist that not having mods for ESO on PS is due to Sony's objections. :shrug:

Were not trying to say Sony wont "allow"

https://youtu.be/TZ75Jwc0XKI?si=_1gaM6S5lbEcfSSl

Here I did the actual research for you lol. I never said that they dont allow mods I said that they "gate keep" and cry about which I was correct. Yes Sony did eventually allow it but as you can see they definitely made it tuff. You definitely didnt research because a simple google shows the " history" of Sony doing this and at the end of the day PlayStation is "their" platform that games are being played on. Matter of fact they just took Microsoft to court over a Acquisition when they themselves have been caught during the case paying developers to keep games and features off of other platforms lol....

Another example is Middle Earth Shadow of War. Its a "Xbox Play Anywhere" game so you can play, Cross Save and pick up where you left off between PC and Xbox but not PlayStation as Sony doesn't allow it.
    Edited by Bl4ckR3alm93 on October 21, 2023 2:08AM
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭
    Anyways, regardless which of our 2 interpretations are finally right or wrong, we clearly see, that's a topic more complex than some of us imagine. I think we can leave the discussion at that.

I really screwed up the quoting on my previous reply.

I wish everyone on this board was so pleasant! Good day to you sir!
    Options
  • Bl4ckR3alm93
    Bl4ckR3alm93
    ✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/TZ75Jwc0XKI?si=_1gaM6S5lbEcfSSl

Let me know if the video doesnt show up. PlayStation does alot of stuff behind close doors but they've been public about their views on Cross Save and Mods. Mods and add ons apparently for "security" reasons
    Edited by Bl4ckR3alm93 on October 20, 2023 9:02PM
    Options
  • twisted_oddball
    twisted_oddball
    Soul Shriven
    All the people I know that play it are on PC, as well as the majority of the roleplay community. That's the main reason i'd like to see cross-play/cross-save.

Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    crossplay plans?

Oh yeah.

Gonna allow cross play with characters from Star Wars the Old Republic.

:#
    Options
  • gwenthebard
    gwenthebard
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    While we don't have any news to share about cross-play or cross-save functionality at this time, we want to acknowledge that we do see this request often. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the reasons why you would like to see this functionality in ESO. What pain points are you running into that this would help solve? The feedback here is helpful for us to share with the team.

The wall I am running into is simply wanting to play with friends. ESO has turned into that odd game where the wider community talks on out of game sources & at irl meetups. However only to discover they are unable to enjoy the game together do to platform differences.
    The only solution for player side currently is to have accounts everywhere which is not sustainable for the average player.
    This is why I would like to see merges, at least all na servers together and all eu servers together.
    Options
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playing on PC NA, after my original platform Xbox, I can officially say that PC feels like a ghost town.

When I travel to any of the major cities on my PC account, I would be more than generous in saying that they hold half the population you see on Xbox NA at any given time… and this is during an event, a time when most players are playing.

Now it is twice as confusing whenever I read of people on PC having the perspective that cross-play would benefit console more. Out of all the platforms, PC needs it more than anything. It’s actually so bad, that after spending a few weeks getting to 300cp on the new platform and getting all of my gear set up, I regret having wasted the time investing in an account on a megaserver that hosts less people.
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    Playing on PC NA, after my original platform Xbox, I can officially say that PC feels like a ghost town.

When I travel to any of the major cities on my PC account, I would be more than generous in saying that they hold half the population you see on Xbox NA at any given time… and this is during an event, a time when most players are playing.

-snip
    I do not know how it feels on Xbox, and may be we have less people on PC NA. But what would people do in cities during this particular event? People farm dungeons and ride Alik'r train for Plunder skulls.

Edited by ESO_player123 on November 6, 2023 10:08AM
    Options
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-snip
    I do not know how it feels on Xbox, and may be we have less people on PC NA. But what would people do in cities during this particular event? People farm dungeons and ride Alik'r train for Plunder skulls.

Actually, despite what you believe to be an optimal use of your time during the event, most players don’t care to run circles in Alik’r, and prefer socializing. Our community has developed much better with our in-game voice chat, and as a result, our towns are filled with people.

It’s an MMO after all, and social interaction is at the root of what makes them thrive.

With this in mind, it’s worth noting that towns are expected to be populated, and even before the event, towns and overland had significantly less player interactions than on console.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our community has developed much better with our in-game voice chat, and as a result, our towns are filled with people.

I can't think of anything worse than having to actually listen to a whole zone full of players all talking at once. That would just be chaos.

Also, our towns on PCNA have healthy populations and I see other players everywhere I go. Overcrowding takes away from social interactions because players just get lost in the crowd.
    PCNA
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Vivec is a madhouse all the time (and I play on PC NA off peak....) I could do with less people in town myself.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our community has developed much better with our in-game voice chat, and as a result, our towns are filled with people.

I can't think of anything worse than having to actually listen to a whole zone full of players all talking at once. That would just be chaos.

Also, our towns on PCNA have healthy populations and I see other players everywhere I go. Overcrowding takes away from social interactions because players just get lost in the crowd.

This is the disconnect I think we have between PC and Console players, we're playing the same game, but are in two wholly different environments. Playing on PC, I've had plenty of dungeon runs where we say nothing until the end and just say the obligatory "gg". Or been in heavily populated areas where there is no zone chat, just people dueling, shopping, and questing away. Between guild chat and discords, there really isn't much reason for zone chat outside of those amazing/scary weekend evening conversations that occur, and if you know, you know.
    Antiquities Addict
    Options
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Voice chat works in area through proximity… the further you get from someone, the more quiet they get. There’s also the ability to mute individuals you find annoying, with the ability to switch between proximity area, or chats that you can hear wherever being group or any of your guild chats.

You can only be in one at a time, and can opt out entirely if you want, it’s extremely well designed.

Respectfully disagree. Where Xbox NA feels just right, and isn’t overcrowded but populated, PC feels completely lacking a playerbase.

To put it into perspective, I’ll use this as one example… for duelists, there is only one area to duel on PC/NA, and it’s at Stormhaven. On Xbox? You have people dueling in Vulkhel Guard, Davon’s Watch, Daggerfall, Elden Root Undaunted, and Wayrest Undaunted.

1 to 5 ratio… and that’s only for dueling.

Dungeon queues take longer on PC, towns have less people, overland feels empty outside of the one or two people you run into every hour, and it’s just a much smaller community.

Now I can make a million assumptions to why this is, be it the cost of PCs, or better competition on that platform, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t know if PC is dying, or if it was always like this, as I’ve only been playing it off-and-on for a month or two now, but it’s so clear to me…

ESO on PC would benefit most from Cross-Play, and therefore should be the least vocal crowd in opposition, despite what we’ve seen on these forums.
    Options