The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Any crossplay plans coming with the new servers changes?

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    Our community has developed much better with our in-game voice chat, and as a result, our towns are filled with people.

I can't think of anything worse than having to actually listen to a whole zone full of players all talking at once. That would just be chaos.

Also, our towns on PCNA have healthy populations and I see other players everywhere I go. Overcrowding takes away from social interactions because players just get lost in the crowd.

This is the disconnect I think we have between PC and Console players, we're playing the same game, but are in two wholly different environments. Playing on PC, I've had plenty of dungeon runs where we say nothing until the end and just say the obligatory "gg". Or been in heavily populated areas where there is no zone chat, just people dueling, shopping, and questing away. Between guild chat and discords, there really isn't much reason for zone chat outside of those amazing/scary weekend evening conversations that occur, and if you know, you know.

I've never played console but from what I hear the environment is very different. I'm afraid that if we were put together we would just clash rather than blend in.

I personally don't want a lot of chat when running a dungeon. I'll say hi if someone else does first, and I always say "thanks for the group" at the end. The only other thing I will say is "chest" if I spot one.

Neither way is wrong, but they have become our norms and I see no reason to push us together because it could result in conflict.
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where Xbox NA feels just right, and isn’t overcrowded but populated, PC feels completely lacking a playerbase.

To put it into perspective, I’ll use this as one example… for duelists, there is only one area to duel on PC/NA, and it’s at Stormhaven. On Xbox? You have people dueling in Vulkhel Guard, Davon’s Watch, Daggerfall, Elden Root Undaunted, and Wayrest Undaunted.

This reinforces why I think crossplay would be a bad idea.

What some see as positive and desirable I see as a detriment. I find duels in towns disruptive and think they shouldn't even be allowed in town limits. I'm glad that not all our towns are continually subjected to this.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 6, 2023 5:42PM
    PCNA
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Our community has developed much better with our in-game voice chat, and as a result, our towns are filled with people.

I can't think of anything worse than having to actually listen to a whole zone full of players all talking at once. That would just be chaos.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Voice chat works in area through proximity… the further you get from someone, the more quiet they get. There’s also the ability to mute individuals you find annoying, with the ability to switch between proximity area, or chats that you can hear wherever being group or any of your guild chats.

You can only be in one at a time, and can opt out entirely if you want, it’s extremely well designed.

Also, our towns on PCNA have healthy populations and I see other players everywhere I go. Overcrowding takes away from social interactions because players just get lost in the crowd.

Respectfully disagree. Where Xbox NA feels just right, and isn’t overcrowded but populated, PC feels completely lacking a playerbase.

To put it into perspective, I’ll use this as one example… for duelists, there is only one area to duel on PC/NA, and it’s at Stormhaven. On Xbox? You have people dueling in Vulkhel Guard, Davon’s Watch, Daggerfall, Elden Root Undaunted, and Wayrest Undaunted.

1 to 5 ratio… and that’s only for dueling.

Dungeon queues take longer on PC, towns have less people, overland feels empty outside of the one or two people you run into every hour, and it’s just a much smaller community.

Now I can make a million assumptions to why this is, be it the cost of PCs, or better competition on that platform, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t know if PC is dying, or if it was always like this, as I’ve only been playing it off-and-on for a month or two now, but it’s so clear to me…

ESO on PC would benefit most from Cross-Play, and therefore should be the least vocal crowd in opposition, despite what we’ve seen on these forums.

You got a few things wrong with your posts:

1) The amount of players seen in any major town at any given moment isn't representative for the total amount of players per platform at all. You say for yourself, that communication differs between consoles and PC and I assume it's common knowledge, that people will group around their communication networks. As we mainly use discord or teamspeak on PC, there is simply no need to be in the same place to talk to each other.
    2) For the very same reason most of the players, which are regularily doing group content, are organized in corresponding guilds and mostly run in premades, while they avoid using the group finder tools. We did so before these tools were added to the game. We even did so before eso was released on consoles.
    3) There is no better or worse way of communication. If people decide to not being interested in talking to random strangers, they have every right to do so and can't be wrong with their statement.
    4) Most PC players aren't opposing crossplay itself, but the hilarious demands some console players connect to this idea (regarding addons for example). It very much a customers right to articulate concers about possible future changes.
    5) I lack to see the high amount of PC players here in forums (or on reddit, discord-channels, etc.) which are complaining about long queues or a lack of people to play with in general. That concers mainly come from console players afaik.
    6) I don't know for sure for PC NA, but if you're after dueling, try the wayshrine north of Bergama. It's a lively spot on PC EU.
    Edited by Braffin on November 6, 2023 5:56PM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Braffin, in one of Rich Lambert’s interviews, he stated that one of the biggest issues with developing ESO is that players want it to be The Elder Scrolls VI, being a singleplayer game.

Now, I can tell you he didn’t come to that conclusion from a platform more social and interactive, so what does this say?

That most players play solo on PC or the most loud players on PC play solo?

I’m more inclined to believe the first option, perhaps with the new Groupfinder tool this will change, but every other day I’m seeing a post about it either not working, hardly anyone using it, and the ones who are, are using it to list paid runs of content. So maybe not!

What you may not realize, is that we have very active guilds too. Each of those guilds have 5 in-game voice chat rooms, just like any external app on PC, and you can talk in group, all in game without the need populate the world. Most people still group up for content in those guilds, and bypass the Groupfinder… I’m in 5 extremely active Guilds that will kick you if you’re not online for 48 hours without notification.

Your excuses for PC lacking activity in town, overland, and dungeon finder are present on Console, yet we’ve made it work for years.

PS; Bergama is dead on PC/NA
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »

This is the disconnect I think we have between PC and Console players, we're playing the same game, but are in two wholly different environments. Playing on PC, I've had plenty of dungeon runs where we say nothing until the end and just say the obligatory "gg". Or been in heavily populated areas where there is no zone chat, just people dueling, shopping, and questing away. Between guild chat and discords, there really isn't much reason for zone chat outside of those amazing/scary weekend evening conversations that occur, and if you know, you know.

on PlayStation i just use the Good Job Everyone emote after dungeons and most often zone chat gets used for guild ads, people wanting to sell items, or looking for groups. so that does not sound wholly different :)
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Tyrant_Tim I don't made any excuses, but shared my pov.

I'm also in 5 very active guilds (not a single trading guild among them btw) and hold contact to some more (helping out for trial runs for example, that sort of stuff).

I also never said, that consoles aren't lively, as I honestly don't know. Never played there.

I won't guess about the percentage of solo-players tho, as I'm obviously not one of them.

Finally, I'm not opposing crossplay. Never did. Indeed I share your opinion about the topic, which could be summarized in "the more, the better".

Nonetheless the usage of discord or similar out-of-game tools for communication, as well as the corresponding differences in communities, are a reality. I'm sorry you deny that, but it's not my problem in the end.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    Nonetheless the usage of discord or similar out-of-game tools for communication, as well as the corresponding differences in communities, are a reality. I'm sorry you deny that, but it's not my problem in the end.

We have Discord on Xbox…

nbrl0qq2sf9s.jpeg
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on November 6, 2023 6:33PM
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We have Discord on Xbox…

So what? Doesn't change the fact, that there are indeed differences between the various communities of eso around the several platforms.

You make think, that the way people on PC are playing the game is inferior and insufficient (at least it comes this way). But that's just your opinion. There are others (this thread gives a fine example for that), which don't share this opinion equally rightful tho.
    ---
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We have Discord on Xbox…

So what? Doesn't change the fact, that there are indeed differences between the various communities of eso around the several platforms.

You make think, that the way people on PC are playing the game is inferior and insufficient (at least it comes this way). But that's just your opinion. There are others (this thread gives a fine example for that), which don't share this opinion equally rightful tho.

No? At what point did I say anyone was playing the game inferior or insufficiently?

My point is people are NOT playing. Period.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We have Discord on Xbox…

No? At what point did I say anyone was playing the game inferior or insufficiently?

They are playing.

Maybe not the way you're used to. But they are playing.
    ---
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of players on PCNA every time I play and everywhere I go, and there is a lot of social interaction going on.

There are multiple instances of all the zones depending on how many players are in the area at the time, so the number of players seen are often only a fraction of the players that are actually in the area.

I don't see how console could have that many more players visible in an area because once the population reaches a certain number another instance is created.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 6, 2023 6:59PM
    PCNA
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We have Discord on Xbox…

They are playing.

So everyone on PC owns or is part of a fully stocked guild, never does their writs, and never trains their mounts, has maxed out bag space, and don’t use bankers for their guild traders that litter every region?

There are more reasons to enter town other than for social interaction. I’ve played both platforms, if what I’m seeing, you know, with my eyes, is less population, that is exactly what any player would see. Claiming that ESO’s PC population is some abstract thing, does it no service.
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on November 6, 2023 8:15PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So everyone on PC owns or is part of a fully stocked guild, never does their writs, and never trains their mounts?

Go to the Vivec City crafting area (as well as many other crafting areas) any time of day and there are multiple players training their mounts and doing writs.

I have played on PCNA for years now and my experience is that there are a lot of players in town and in guilds and socially interacting. The only time I could see the population looking low would be in the middle of the night when naturally there are less people playing.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 6, 2023 7:07PM
    PCNA
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    While we don't have any news to share about cross-play or cross-save functionality at this time, we want to acknowledge that we do see this request often. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the reasons why you would like to see this functionality in ESO. What pain points are you running into that this would help solve? The feedback here is helpful for us to share with the team.

Don't have the time to read through all the responses so this may have already been said, but for me it's the addition of extra competition/new players being added to the pool and the possibility of filling up dungeon/BG ques faster, as well as all groups now with the addition of the group finder tool. This may pale in comparison for many to the ability to play with friends, or even potential friends you can't if this is not implemented.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We have Discord on Xbox…

They are playing.

So everyone on PC owns or is part of a fully stocked guild, never does their writs, and never trains their mounts, has maxed out bag space, and don’t use bankers for their guild traders that litter every region?

There are more reasons to enter town other than for social interaction. I’ve played both platforms, if what I’m seeing, you know, with my eyes, is less population, that is exactly what any player would see. Claiming that ESO’s PC population is some abstract thing, does it no service.

[snip]

You still don't get it. I don't care about the amount of players on Xbox, as I don't play over there.

But I don't share your perception: I'm member of several fully stocked guilds, I do my writs regularily and have several other reasons to visit major towns. And I see a lot of people around there. The game is thriving, at least at pc eu. I see that with my eyes. Every single day, if I login.

I didn't have problems to find likeminded people to play with for literally 10 years now, be it for dungeons, be it for trials.

If that perception is "trolling" in your opinion, be happy about your XBox-account, because you'll meet hoards of trolls on pc. ;)

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 6, 2023 8:00PM
    ---
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have Discord on Xbox…

They are playing.

-snip
    [edited for baiting]

How much time does a person need to do the writs, visit a mount training spot, and be on their merry way out of the city to do what is next on their agenda for the day? I use Vivec City as my goto city and everything is there in one place. It's crowded except for off-peak hours. But why hang there once you are done? I personally may be there longer, but only because I tend to queue for ToT dailies while doing writs. So, once the queue pops, my toon technically stays in town for the duration of the game.

You mentioned that people are socializing in cities using proximity voice chat. We do not have that on PC, so no need for that. And if we did, that would be the first feature I would turn off. I have no interest in hearing random strangers and their background noises.

To summarize, I do not really care if they add crossplay or not. But I would oppose it if adding it meant any of the following
    a) loss of our addons,
    b) force change of names of our characters
    c) time to develop it would mean no actual playable content that is expected otherwise

• Bokila
    Bokila
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there are pros and cons when it comes to crossplay but i think it ultimately pays off. One way of "fixing" the issue for the xbox players that want to move to PC would be to add the game in the Microsoft Store and allow crossplay through it with xbox without any addons. I've already opened a discussion on it but it doesn't seem to receive that much interest because it is just partially fixing the issue and it's only addressing ex xbox players.

Another way of dealing with players wanting to move to other servers would be wiping characters gold/inventory before transferring them to other platforms. This way the economy of each server wouldn't be affected but people that paid money to get their stuff through crown store and grinded their CPs and skill lines would get to keep them. I would definitely even accept a crown store fee for the account transfer if it was the case.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing on PC NA, after my original platform Xbox, I can officially say that PC feels like a ghost town.

When I travel to any of the major cities on my PC account, I would be more than generous in saying that they hold half the population you see on Xbox NA at any given time… and this is during an event, a time when most players are playing.

Now it is twice as confusing whenever I read of people on PC having the perspective that cross-play would benefit console more. Out of all the platforms, PC needs it more than anything. It’s actually so bad, that after spending a few weeks getting to 300cp on the new platform and getting all of my gear set up, I regret having wasted the time investing in an account on a megaserver that hosts less people.

I find this all very strange. Firstly, there's nothing official about what you're saying.

Secondly, what's really strange is your claim that the PC feels like a ghost town compared to Xbox. Every other poster from Xbox I've read on here recently complains that the Xbox servers are dead, and that's predominantly why they want to be able to play on PC which every other poster from PC says is well populated.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having Crossplay between at least PlayStation and Xbox would be a huge improvement and provide a larger ecosystem of players to keep the game active.

The two consoles together would likely be a little larger than PC’s current numbers.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the value in allowing cross play between the two console platforms, but not with PC. I’m not interested in having the patch and hotfix schedule on PC impacted by the console rules, and the day I lose addons to cater to console players is the last day I touch ESO.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    While we don't have any news to share about cross-play or cross-save functionality at this time, we want to acknowledge that we do see this request often. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the reasons why you would like to see this functionality in ESO. What pain points are you running into that this would help solve? The feedback here is helpful for us to share with the team.

Please can you pass it on to stop developing content for older gen hardware so the game can develop to its fullest potential for PC and current gen, thank you. Provide an account transfer service for old gen peeps to migrate to PC or next gen to alleviate any concerns about losing their progress.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please can you pass it on to stop developing content for older gen hardware so the game can develop to its fullest potential for PC and current gen, thank you. Provide an account transfer service for old gen peeps to migrate to PC or next gen to alleviate any concerns about losing their progress.

They can't run transfers between platforms, but there's no server transfer involved in players upgrading their console to the next generation machine.
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

They can't run transfers between platforms, but there's no server transfer involved in players upgrading their console to the next generation machine.

That makes sense, but a pity a transfer mechanism isn't practical. The limitations of old hardware really stimy the development of the game for everyone else so I hope we see a migration of focus to content development with PC and current/next gen at the forefront. So much potential for the game has been wasted because of these technical limitations that aren't even a thing for the PC crowd and I'd presume the new gen of consoles. Given the game started out as a PC title it's a shame.
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see Xbox and PlayStation merged so there are enough people to do activities with. The new group finder works but isn’t utilized much and it really shows the decline in population, or at least decline in endgame players doing pickup-group content.

I do not want to see PC merged with console players, due to advantage of addons and the hyper inflated economy.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather see platform migration or region account wide stuff sharing than cross play.

[snip]

No thanks.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 20, 2023 6:59PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pecheckler wrote: »
    I want to see Xbox and PlayStation merged so there are enough people to do activities with. The new group finder works but isn’t utilized much and it really shows the decline in population, or at least decline in endgame players doing pickup-group content.

I do not want to see PC merged with console players, due to advantage of addons and the hyper inflated economy.

I think full Crossplay for all platforms would be very beneficial for the game but just Crossplay between Xbox and PlayStation would be my biggest request for 2024.

Now that Microsoft bought up Bethesda I would like the option to move to Xbox if ES6 is an Xbox exclusive but I don't want to lose the several thousand hours and all the DLC purchased for ESO on PlayStation.

• Bl4ckR3alm93
    Bl4ckR3alm93
    ✭✭✭
    Having Crossplay between at least PlayStation and Xbox would be a huge improvement and provide a larger ecosystem of players to keep the game active.

The two consoles together would likely be a little larger than PC’s current numbers.

I hope we can atleast get this or a 1 way account transfer like ZoS did with PC at console launch and with Stadia before shutdown
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope we can atleast get this or a 1 way account transfer like ZoS did with PC at console launch and with Stadia before shutdown

Stadia was basically a cloud PC, they shared the servers with PC-NA and PC-EU. There was no account transfer necessary following the shutdown.

If there is no way to ensure that everyone gets to keep their data, then ZOS should not attempt data transfers. PTS is a good example for this, first two weeks of testing has PC-NA character and guild data, last three weeks until the next testing period has PC-EU character and guild data.

Seriously starting feel like a broken record in these crossplay threads.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Oznog666
    Oznog666
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest we don't want crossplay with consoleros because then all there bots are coming to PC B)
  • isgnidempsey
    for me i played xbox from day one and moved to pc because xbox servers are empty only busy at about 4-7 pm queing in group finder for the pledges and it take's so long to pop i just wish i could move my xbox character over from xbox to pc
    and to be fair you could move you character from pc to xbox or ps when it came out on console.