The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

The Sorcerer changes are completely inadequate

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »
    <There are currently better sets than Draugrkin to use on magsorc.>

<I would agree with you if you’re talking about DPS. Yes, Crushing Shock, a spammable, will deal more DPS than Curse simply because it’s casted every second, whereas Curse goes off every 3 seconds.>

<However, the tooltip of Curse is still significantly higher than that of Crushing Shock>

<4 casts of Crushing Shock will NOT have a better chance of killing a player compared to 3 casts of Crushing Shock and 1 Curse.>

<Curse is one of the few delayed bursts that is UNDODGABLE, UNBLOCKABLE, and reveals a cloaking NB.>

and again, u are wrong in every possible way...

<>
    debatable, but i dont see anything better than draugrkin on a magsorc. its either crushing shock + draugrkin, or ice reach + ice master + way of fire

<>
    as i said before and as ur friend's cmx proved, a single hit from a curse hits LESS than a single hit from a crushing shock. if curse was a single hit spammable, it would still deal less dps than a crushing shock on a magsorc. just because. this is a fact u have to agree with.

<>
    simple math for the 3rd time:
    curse base 2999 dmg
    crushing shock base 696x2 + 696x1.05 (passive) + 179x0.5 (chill proc every 2nd cast on average) + 179x0.5x1.05 (same for concussion) + 359x1.7 (burning can deal damage twice with a single attack - one from the tick of previously applied burning, and one from newly procced one, 1.7 is the multiplier literally from ur friend, 93 ticks with 55 attacks) + 323x0.75 (poison enchant, procs 3 times per 4 secs, coz proc chance with charged trait is 100% for enchants and it renews on every 2nd tick making it effectively tick once-twice-once-twice every 2 sec) = 3159 base damage per average crushing shock cast.

without draugrkin. which adds in average (3+0.5+0.5+1.7+0.75)*330 = 2128.5 damage every second. which proc set is giving u more than 2k damage per second considering colldowns, huh?

<>
    4 casts of crushing shock deal more damage than 3 crushing + curse. therefore they have more chance to kill someone. 3 crushing + curse would be better if it only had atleast 4k base damage tooltip. right now curse barely touches a few pixels on hp bar, it never creates a situation where being combined with other skills, the whole combo is able to kill anybody decently built. it just does not. sorc is not nb to burst down an enemy.

<>
    the only thing i cant disagree, but thats not enough for me to justify curse's existense. ele sus and streak both also reveals nb. still not enough to counterplay a decent nb without a proper vision ability like magelight. ele sus is taking the place on my bar instead of curse and its giving me a lot more profit

Look at the CMX again… 3 instances of damage from Crushing Shock (Fire/Ice/Shock) each had an average value of 1.4k and max value of ~2k. Total damage was around 6.5k max. Compared to Curse’s 8k, that is 1.5k less, so idk where you’re getting the “Curse deals less dmg” from.

And you can’t compare a build with 1 ability. It’s like saying a Honda SUV with mods is better than a Toyota SUV without mods. Like duh lol? Compare the tooltip of both abilities. A delayed burst will always have a higher tooltip than a spammable. If Crushing Shock had a higher tooltip it would be one of the strongest spammables in the game
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭

Look at the CMX again…

yes, and i suggest u to do the same.
    i clearly see, as i already mentioned in the post #136, [snip] that curse has an average damage of 5.7k per cast, while crushing shock has 6.1k.
    so, cmx u linked proves that im correct, and real numbers are quite in touch with what i said in previous post #147:
    curse base 2999 dmg
    crushing shock base 696x2 + 696x1.05 (passive) + 179x0.5 (chill proc every 2nd cast on average) + 179x0.5x1.05 (same for concussion) + 359x1.7 (burning can deal damage twice with a single attack - one from the tick of previously applied burning, and one from newly procced one, 1.7 is the multiplier literally from ur friend, 93 ticks with 55 attacks) + 323x0.75 (poison enchant, procs 3 times per 4 secs, coz proc chance with charged trait is 100% for enchants and it renews on every 2nd tick making it effectively tick once-twice-once-twice every 2 sec) = 3159 base damage per average crushing shock cast.

[edited for flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 5, 2023 11:04AM
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Look at the CMX again…

i clearly see, as i already mentioned in the post #136, [snip] that curse has an average damage of 5.7k per cast, while crushing shock has 6.1k.
    so, cmx u linked proves that im correct, and real numbers are quite in touch with what i said in previous post #147:
    curse base 2999 dmg

No, you don’t count status effects lol… We are comparing TOOLTIP DAMAGE. You’re just throwing in extra stuff that is not included in the tooltip (status effects, Draugrkin) to make your point.

How about this, I’m following your logic by saying Curse deals more damage because it’s a delayed burst letting you combo with other abilities. See how ridiculous it sounds?

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 5, 2023 11:05AM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    No, you don’t count status effects lol…
    yes i do.
    by all logic u cant say "tooltip damage" without applying all the mechanics that comes with the skill and how this skill is being used. u wont ever use crushing shock without charged trait coz this skill has the weakest base damage. element procs are part of this skill, they are skill's identity, same as streak is identity of a sorc. have u ever played sorc without a streak?

in real gameplay, tooltip damage = average damage per cast. the whole term "tooltip damage" is meant to compare skills outside of gear quality differences, and crushing shock is actually dealing more damage per cast than curse (ofc 1 damage instance of curse tho)

i wish ZOS add a skill just for u, it would "deal 1000 damage, every 3rd cast deals x100 times increased damage against players", and by ur irrational logic, u will cry here on the forums that this skill is useless trash with 1000 damage on a tooltip, while in reality it will instantly oneshot any blocking full tank ulted necro in pvp

p.s. also, by ur logic, curse is stronger thing than mersiless resolve, coz nb hits with it only for 4752 base damage, while curse hits for 5998, coz it hits twice, tooltip of a curse is 5998, bro, lets nerf it, sorc is too op, as u say
    Edited by RemoryAzure on February 5, 2023 9:14AM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorc was again not buffed enough...yea seen it before with basicly every update.

BUT why in the hells was dk buffed?? They are literally one of the top dogs in pvp still...and has been for years now. The word of the day is dumfounded

PC EU
    PvP only
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, you don’t count status effects lol…
    yes i do.
    by all logic u cant say "tooltip damage" without applying all the mechanics that comes with the skill and how this skill is being used. u wont ever use crushing shock without charged trait coz this skill has the weakest base damage. element procs are part of this skill, they are skill's identity, same as streak is identity of a sorc. have u ever played sorc without a streak?

in real gameplay, tooltip damage = average damage per cast. the whole term "tooltip damage" is meant to compare skills outside of gear quality differences, and crushing shock is actually dealing more damage per cast than curse (ofc 1 damage instance of curse tho)

i wish ZOS add a skill just for u, it would "deal 1000 damage, every 3rd cast deals x100 times increased damage against players", and by ur irrational logic, u will cry here on the forums that this skill is useless trash with 1000 damage on a tooltip, while in reality it will instantly oneshot any blocking full tank ulted necro in pvp

p.s. also, by ur logic, curse is stronger thing than mersiless resolve, coz nb hits with it only for 4752 base damage, while curse hits for 5998, coz it hits twice, tooltip of a curse is 5998, bro, lets nerf it, sorc is too op, as u say

Tooltip means the value shown on the tooltip. It doesn’t mean “hidden and extra stuff that isn’t included but still apply”.

If I say “Vigor has a tooltip of 20k”, I literally mean Vigor will give you 20k healing. What I can’t say is “Vigor has a tooltip of 20k plus 2k extra because Minor Resolve gives mitigation, which reduces damage taken, which is an indirect form of healing because you don’t need to heal as much”. It sounds ridiculous, and that’s basically what your entire argument is about. You’re basically saying “Crushing Shock has a tooltip of X damage plus X more because it can proc status effects, which deal extra damage and indirectly increases the actual tooltip”. It’s a ridiculous claim.

The tooltip for Curse is the NUMBER SHOWN on the tooltip. The tooltip for Crushing Shock is the NUMBER SHOWN on the tooltip. It doesn’t mean extra status effect damage + Draugrkin. That is a flawed comparison. If you were to say “The application of Crushing Shock in a real fight is better because it can proc status effects”, then you’d have a more reasonable argument.

Also, let’s not forget that you were the one to tell me Curse is blockable and that I was wrong for saying it was unblockable. All of that claim without backing up your statement and I had to be the one posting up evidence that I was correct.

So please, we can end this discussion here because you just want to be right all the time and use flawed arguments to counter my points. Calling my arguments “irrational” is a pretty bold claim when I’ve been very objective in my statements. In fact, I can argue that most people here asking for these drastic buffs are in fact very irrational because they just refuse to believe that their suggestions will make their class OP.
    Edited by StaticWave on February 5, 2023 4:39PM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    Calling my arguments “irrational” is a pretty bold claim when I’ve been very objective in my statements

but u are not. what are u saying is an obvious misinformation, just look:
    It's mathematically impossible for Curse to hits for as much as force pulse though.

what u said is an obvious lie, and i already proved u mathematically like 10 times that pulse hits harder than curse. and ur friend's cmx proved it in a real test.

and i dont care how big the number is stated "on a tooltip" of skills, coz for me, just like for 99% of players, including u, "tooltip" damage means an average damage that u can expect with this skill before mitigations. and this is why i quoted u just now, ur claim was basically "curse has bigger number on a tooltip therefore it always hits harder" so u are, as everyone, equating tooltip = real damage. and u failed.

lemme introduce u to another example of how wrong u are - coagulating blood. the same scenario. with the same build i use on my nb, coag has a tooltip of 12.1k (no cp in a build calc). when i compare builds/specs, i always keep in mind that DK has an extra 12% healing received from a passive that is not counted in a tooltip, and the skill has missing hp scaling mechanic (up to 50% more), and since the most common situation to use healing skills is when u have half hp (like 70-80% of all heals are used around half hp), and also this will be statistically average value, i add another 25% from that mechanic, so actually 12.1x1.12x1.25 = 17k. so when coag has a "tooltip" of 12.1k, it actually works as a heal with 17k value, which is almost the value of NB's healthy offering tooltip, with the difference that coag can heal even more in critical situations (up to 20.3k "tooltip" value) and doesnt damage u afterwards. so yes, regardless of the fact that "tooltip" says 12.1k heal, i read it as 17k, coz this is how skill works in real life.

p.s. and yep, i accept that i was wrong about curse's blockability, coz i didnt have much opportunity to play with it considering how bad and useless it is, i have way better skills to fill my bar
    Edited by RemoryAzure on February 5, 2023 5:48PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the CMX again…

curse base 2999 dmg

No, you don’t count status effects lol… We are comparing TOOLTIP DAMAGE. You’re just throwing in extra stuff that is not included in the tooltip (status effects, Draugrkin) to make your point.

How about this, I’m following your logic by saying Curse deals more damage because it’s a delayed burst letting you combo with other abilities. See how ridiculous it sounds?

[edited to remove quote]

Honestly tooltips don’t matter much but what matters is the effectiveness.

Curse has a timer. So you can completely negate damage of curse if you want to.

You can combine crystal weapon and crushing shock for instantenous burst. So crushing shock is automatically better than curse
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you could combine curse with crystal weapon and crushing shock.

The skills being compared aren't in the same category of skills.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is exactly why effectiveness of damage matters and not tooltips

NB gets consistent 20k +spectral bows
    What does sorc get ?
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 5, 2023 7:26PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion: non mag sorc mains are absolutely terrified about mag sorc buffs.

Few understand this
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Or you could combine curse with crystal weapon and crushing shock.

The skills being compared aren't in the same category of skills.

You know when the curse is going off though

You can cast cs + crystal weapon at any time

If sorc could time the curse explosion instead of the inbuilt timer it would be much better
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion: non mag sorc mains are absolutely terrified about mag sorc buffs.

Few understand this

Understandably so! Few metas are as oppressive as those dominated by sorcs. At least with DK/Warden they have to actually be near you to be a threat.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Few understand this

Understandably so! Few metas are as oppressive as those dominated by sorcs. At least with DK/Warden they have to actually be near you to be a threat.

Unpopular opinion : The last time the meta favored mag sorc was back in Elsweyr which was 3.5yrs back

Few understand this
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 5, 2023 9:52PM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Few understand this

Unpopular opinion : The last time the meta favored mag sorc was back in Elsweyr which was 3.5yrs back

Few understand this

Maybe. Idk. I have 8 characters that I play with regularly. My sorc consistently pulls 2-3x the kill counts of any of my other toons. Ofc that's just one person's experience.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Few understand this

Few understand this

Maybe. Idk. I have 8 characters that I play with regularly. My sorc consistently pulls 2-3x the kill counts of any of my other toons. Ofc that's just one person's experience.

Kill count does not equal effectiveness. It just means you were more lucky than those around you to land the last hit on a player. And with the way fury works, it's a fairly meaningless metric for sorc effectiveness.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted Post removed]

Curse is fine in a vacuum. But the problem with curse, imo, is that it adds a burst timer for the enemy to predict a sorcs offensive window.

You hit someone with it and they know exactly when you need to line up your burst which gives them the exact timing they need to counter it.

Add to that that curse does literally nothing worthwhile for a sorc while it is stuck to someone, until it does damage. So it just sits there for 3 seconds, telegraphing everything you are about to do next.
    Edited by Psiion on February 6, 2023 1:05AM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Few understand this

Few understand this

Kill count does not equal effectiveness. It just means you were more lucky than those around you to land the last hit on a player. And with the way fury works, it's a fairly meaningless metric for sorc effectiveness.

Disagree. KDA does equal effectiveness as far as I'm concerned.
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Few understand this

Few understand this

Then I'm super effective on Beamplar blasting everyone whos under 50%. Templars must be doing great
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

After removing and editing some posts from this thread, we would like to remind everyone that Baiting is never acceptable on the ESO Forums. The Forums are intended to be a place for all members of the Community to come together and discuss all things ESO, and we ask that everyone adhere to the Community Rules to ensure they stay that way.
    Staff Post
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForumBully wrote: »

Few understand this

Few understand this

Then I'm super effective on Beamplar blasting everyone whos under 50%. Templars must be doing great

Point taken. Still anecdotally, I find that I earn plenty of my own kills as a Sorc.
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [Quoted Post removed]

Curse is fine in a vacuum. But the problem with curse, imo, is that it adds a burst timer for the enemy to predict a sorcs offensive window.

You hit someone with it and they know exactly when you need to line up your burst which gives them the exact timing they need to counter it.

Add to that that curse does literally nothing worthwhile for a sorc while it is stuck to someone, until it does damage. So it just sits there for 3 seconds, telegraphing everything you are about to do next.

Curse is literally unblockable and undodgable. It doesn't even matter if you know the exact timing to counter it. You need a cleanse for that.

It actually baffles me how people can say Curse is bad or is predictable when it's literally designed to be a delayed burst - aka be predictable. All this complaint yet every single top tier magsorc slots Curse on their bar. You know why? Cause it's a darn good ability. You literally can't ask for a better single target delayed burst than Curse.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reading all these openly exaggerated sorc complaints make me want to side with the people against buffing sorcs.

There's a difference between asking for buffs to make the class better, and asking for buffs to make the class OP. There's also a difference between objectively pointing out the problems with the class, and exaggerating the problems with the class.

Saying things like "Magsorc is the weakest class currently" or "Curse is so weak I don't slot it on my bar" is the definition of exaggeration and bias to push for changes that would clearly make the class OP. It's such an dishonest argument to make.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is also the reason why NB got all these powerful buffs. The fact that people exaggerate NB's issues and make it sound like the class is worse than it actually is, is why we have the current version of NB. What a shame.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading all these openly exaggerated sorc complaints make me want to side with the people against buffing sorcs.

There's a difference between asking for buffs to make the class better, and asking for buffs to make the class OP. There's also a difference between objectively pointing out the problems with the class, and exaggerating the problems with the class.

Saying things like "Magsorc is the weakest class currently" or "Curse is so weak I don't slot it on my bar" is the definition of exaggeration and bias to push for changes that would clearly make the class OP. It's such an dishonest argument to make.

Right, I definitely feel people tend to get carried away when referring to buffing their favorite class, though it’s also quite annoying on the opposite end too, when referring to nerfs to things blatantly overperforming.

You have quite a few Dragonknight mains claiming it’s all sunshine and the game is in excellent balance while every class players, including Sorcerer mains, are switching.
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Look at the CMX again…

curse base 2999 dmg

[edited to remove quote]

Honestly tooltips don’t matter much but what matters is the effectiveness.

Curse has a timer. So you can completely negate damage of curse if you want to.

You can combine crystal weapon and crushing shock for instantenous burst. So crushing shock is automatically better than curse

Tooltip definitely matters. That's like saying a 20k Dizzying Swing tooltip doesn't matter because a 15k Heroic Slash is faster. I'm going to take that 20k Dizzying Swing, land a 10k burst on someone and kill them in 1 combo.

Sub Assault has a timer. Blastbone has a timer. Purifying Light has a timer. Guess which is worst to deal with? Yea, old Purifying Light. You could literally see it coming yet there was nothing you could do to negate it. The fact that it was unblockable and undodgable and the only real way to negate it was cleansing, made it so lethal. Curse is literally the same.

It doesn't matter if I know it's coming. Unless I have cleanse, I'm going to still take 7-8k Curse and the best I can hope for is not take damage from the clearly incoming burst combo.

You know what happens when I see Blastbone or Sub Assault? I just hold block and take zero damage. Can't do that with Curse though lol.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForumBully wrote: »

Few understand this

Few understand this

Point taken. Still anecdotally, I find that I earn plenty of my own kills as a Sorc.

Also an anecdote
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is also the reason why NB got all these powerful buffs. The fact that people exaggerate NB's issues and make it sound like the class is worse than it actually is, is why we have the current version of NB. What a shame.

Unpopular opinion : NB will always get preferential treatment and we all know why

I did also mention in some other thread that NB will not get nerfs from here on. Not a single NB change in patch notes as predicted

I also know the exact changes for sorc & NB in the upcoming PTS iterations.
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 6, 2023 5:02AM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted Post removed]

Curse is literally unblockable and undodgable. It doesn't even matter if you know the exact timing to counter it. You need a cleanse for that.

It actually baffles me how people can say Curse is bad or is predictable when it's literally designed to be a delayed burst - aka be predictable. All this complaint yet every single top tier magsorc slots Curse on their bar. You know why? Cause it's a darn good ability. You literally can't ask for a better single target delayed burst than Curse.

Curse is good finisher but its just not good enough in terms of damage.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Access to major breach via curse (frees up barspace/gcd) and a reasonable buff to matriarchs hp would already solve so much for magsorcs.