Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do skills like "echoing vigor" choose their targets?

Lebkuchen
Lebkuchen
✭✭✭✭✭
Let's use the tooltip for echoing vigor as an example: "Let loose a battle cry, instilling you and your allies with resolve and healing for 3480 Health over 16 seconds."

Now my questions:
1) If i press it once, 6 players get the heal over time. Who gets the heal over time and why?
2) If i press it again what happens?
3) How many players can 1 person heal with this skill at the same time?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on November 29, 2022 2:23AM
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do skills like "echoing vigor" choose their targets?
    Well, many skills work differently. E.g. you cannot apply the working of echoing vigor with radiating regeneration. They are different.

In case of echoing vigor:
    1) If i press it once, 6 players get the heal over time. Who gets the heal over time and why?
    - If none of the players have missing health, always the same six players (if in range) will get the hot. I'm not sure how they get picked, might be based on how the group was built (e.g. first six players - but i'm not really sure how they exactly are determined).
    - If players have missing health, these players will get the hot.
    - if more than 6 players have missing health: idk, maybe the same 6 again or based missing on health. I have not tested this yet.
    2) If i press it again what happens?
    - the same six players will get the hot unless someone has not full health.
    3) How many players can 1 person heal with this skill at the same time?
    - you can only give 1 stack of this hot to a player. If a player has already that hot from you on him, it will be refreshed.
    - If you cast it multiple times and if you are lucky (players taking damage and different players get hit by the hot), everyone in the group can have a stack of the hot up and running.

This means if you have 12 players in the group in theory the result may look quite differently depending on the situation. If everyone casts echoing vigor:
    - All at full health -> 6players with 12 stacks, 6 players with 0 stacks
    - If all players had lost some health and echoing vigor was casted multiple times by each player -> 12 players with 12 stacks

In reality it might be somewhere in between.

At least that was how it worked a patch or two ago. Might have missed that they have changed something here...
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The poster above does a fantastic job explaining this important, but completely neglected in terms of presentation to the player, aspect of the game.

To add something to the conversation, I believe that the Smart Healing targets are selected by lowest Max HP when all players in range are at full Health.

To add a little bit more: OP, welcome to the wide world of target caps in ESO. Many/most buff and debuff skills have an unadvertised target cap of 6, this includes player abilities and things like sets and CP stars. If you want to provide a buff or heal to your entire group, much thought and care is required as you frequently have to meta-game these invisible target caps.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poster above does a fantastic job explaining this important, but completely neglected in terms of presentation to the player, aspect of the game.

To add something to the conversation, I believe that the Smart Healing targets are selected by lowest Max HP when all players in range are at full Health.

To add a little bit more: OP, welcome to the wide world of target caps in ESO. Many/most buff and debuff skills have an unadvertised target cap of 6, this includes player abilities and things like sets and CP stars. If you want to provide a buff or heal to your entire group, much thought and care is required as you frequently have to meta-game these invisible target caps.

Target caps are certainly an annoyance. This is why you see many trial groups split into 2 stacks, to ensure buffs can be applied to everyone without the same 6 getting them and others neglected. IMO the target cap should be the same as the group cap, 12 players.

Of course certain skills can still target fewer, such as Twilight Matriarch (2) and Radiating Regeneration (3). These are fine for smart targeting low health allies, but buffs and area effects should work on all allies in that area.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving this to "players helping players" should tell me that players have to test and find out how skills work in this game? So there will always be confusion and misunderstandings by design? And people should be able to sit on important information to have an advantage? Ok.

It is very hard to find reliable information. The game does not teach us how to play at all. Tooltips are useless most of the time. Most guides are superficial and misleading.

In combination with bad performance, bugs and constant changes this can be very frustrating. Especially when you are trying to play groupcontent.

I am a bit annoyed by how much time and afford it takes to learn basic mechanics of this game. So thank you very much for your answers, i am grateful for every piece of information.