The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Zone Guide & Map Completion with Account Wide Achievements

• peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AH93 wrote: »
    The implementation is all wrong, delves, world bosses, dolmens etc should be character specific.

You really need to rethink this.

I do agree with this. The more time I spend with it, everything seems backwards.

Hitting level 50 is account wide, despite that being a fun milestone for my characters, but we are keeping "equip all purple gear for the first time" individual? I don't care at all about that.

Pretty sure silvereyes put together a suggested compromised list in the PTS thread and I bet that would be a great place to start.

Roll up motifs to account and give us our character specific dungeon achievements back. Or a new completion journal or something. Map completion and exploration discovery should definitely be character specific. I'm sure there is more I could add....
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

We've been seeing a lot of questions about what types of things are being tracked on the Zone Guide and Map now that Account Wide Achievements have launched on PC. We wanted to provide some clarity on what is tracked on the account vs character level:
    • Zone Quests, Wayshrines, Points of Interest, Crafting Stations, Mundus Stones, Public Dungeons, Skyshards and Shalidor's Library Books are still character-specific in the Zone Guide.
    • Delves, Striking Locales, World Events and World Bosses use the Achievement to track progress in the Zone Guide but you will still need to discover these on individual characters on the Map.
    Additionally, it's worth mentioning there is currently a bug affecting completed Delves, World Bosses and World Events that are making them display as incomplete. We're working on getting this fixed for a future incremental patch.

Dolmens are also effected and showing up as incomplete on characters which have done them. At least for me, anyway.
    Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • steven.borg1991b16_ESO
    steven.borg1991b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Ya all the changes from AwA especially the dialog being tied to them is really making me consider continuing to play ESO, it completely kills any immersion playing ALTs. Kinda shocked this made it out of PTS.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ya all the changes from AwA especially the dialog being tied to them is really making me consider continuing to play ESO, it completely kills any immersion playing ALTs. Kinda shocked this made it out of PTS.

Those of us that tested PTS gave almost 3,000 responses and 95 pages of feedback about this and many other issues, but, alas, ZoS ignored them and went full speed ahead. I was shocked and dismayed at the same time...
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Woozywyvern
    Woozywyvern
    ✭✭✭
    AH93 wrote: »
    The implementation is all wrong, delves, world bosses, dolmens etc should be character specific.

You really need to rethink this.

Totally agree.
    'What we do in life, echoes through Eternity.'
  • Lonestryder
    Lonestryder
    ✭✭✭
    And let's not forget the design decision to force end-user micro-management of the new Champion System. Again, in the name of performance. It would be interesting to see a list of all these things rolled out or designed for the sake of performance, regardless of the burden it places on the end user.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Those of us that tested PTS gave almost 3,000 responses and 95 pages of feedback about this and many other issues, but, alas, ZoS ignored them and went full speed ahead. I was shocked and dismayed at the same time...

It's left me with the feeling that a description of this incident should be the poster child for the definition of the term "train wreck".
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • LogansClaw53188
    LogansClaw53188
    Soul Shriven
    Really wish we could opt out of this achievement sharing. It is those achievements that show us when our secondary toons have reached different thresholds and can now be used in more difficult content
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me, ESO in 2022 feels like the 8th season of GoT.. :(
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

• Zenzuki
    Zenzuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, ESO in 2022 feels like the 8th season of GoT.. :(

Makes it feel like all my alts were invited to ESO's "Red Wedding"!
    Can Open...
    Worms EVERYWHERE!
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, according to Kai, they supposedly fixed it today.

Maps
    Fixed issue where achievement related POIs, including delves, world bosses and dolmens, would sometimes incorrectly display as being incomplete on the map after first loading in.

But still crickets from devs on the whole AwA mess.
    Please, @ZOS_MattFiror , give us a communication like the performance one you did.
    This is the real deal breaker with UD33 for so many of us.
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maps
    Fixed issue where achievement related POIs, including delves, world bosses and dolmens, would sometimes incorrectly display as being incomplete on the map after first loading in.

Please, @ZOS_MattFiror , give us a communication like the performance one you did.

Agreed. Also of course, from a purely commercial point of view ZOS should appreciate that it's also a deal breaker for many of us so far as the forthcoming Chapter is concerned.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Maps

Agreed. Also of course, from a purely commercial point of view ZOS should appreciate that it's also a deal breaker for many of us so far as the forthcoming Chapter is concerned.

It is a deal breaker for me. I don't intend to purchase the new chapter unless map completion is unlinked from achievements or is reverted to character specific.
    PCNA
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maps

Exactly. The deal-breaker is the REVERSE of what they just "fixed": things which should be incomplete, incorrectly appearing as complete, on a character-specific basis, because "one character has completed it" on an account-wide basis.

NOT things which should be complete, incorrectly appearing as incomplete, regardless of whether this was character-specific or account-wide.
    Edited by jle30303 on March 28, 2022 8:24PM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maps

The thing is, seeing the map automatically fill in as you get near those places just deflates the sense of exploration. It looks and feels bad. This isn't QOL, it makes QOL a lot worse.

Edit - spell check is my worst nightmare, edited for spellcheck shenanigans.
    Edited by Kesstryl on March 28, 2022 9:01PM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm no programmer, so no idea how feasible this would be - but would it be possible to make AWA/character based achievements / map icons / etc as a toggle?

So for people who don't mind having it all lumped into one (like it is now) can just keep it as is, but those who want the map/guide/etc to show things per-character can toggle AWA for those off, and thus keep the experience that they are used to?

If possible, would it satisfy either/both camps on this issue?
    o_O
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    I'm no programmer, so no idea how feasible this would be - but would it be possible to make AWA/character based achievements / map icons / etc as a toggle?

So for people who don't mind having it all lumped into one (like it is now) can just keep it as is, but those who want the map/guide/etc to show things per-character can toggle AWA for those off, and thus keep the experience that they are used to?

It would have been feasible in principle. The PTS thread had many people asking for something similar.
    ZOS specifically rejected parts of it in their Q&A, and now there is no longer character specific data for many things.
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

It would have been feasible in principle. The PTS thread had many people asking for something similar.
    ZOS specifically rejected parts of it in their Q&A, and now there is no longer character specific data for many things.

Oh :( Well bummer. Guess they really, really needed to prune their database (which is why they did this right?). But really is bad for those negatively effected by this. If the character-based info is truly gone... then I'm not sure how they can even resolve this for those who dislike the changes...

Which just means ppl will have to rely on mods, assuming mods are able to fix things ? I dunno, haven't really been playing much or looked at mods recently.
    o_O
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which just means ppl will have to rely on mods, assuming mods are able to fix things ? I dunno, haven't really been playing much or looked at mods recently.

For PC there are mods that can collect and store data for a new alt, but I do not think they can look at the history of an existing alt. I could be wrong.

Positives: Some of the more "grindy" rewards (e.g. common colours for killing x number of monsters) are account wide.
    Negative: "loss" of character progression.

The latest patch has gone someway to restoring my character progression. I can at least see what my alt has finished. BUT I have lost the "magic" of being Saviour of Nairn and Master Crafter as all my characters are now Saviour of Nairn and Master Crafter (even if they do not know one end of a wood plain to the other).

• IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really bothers me now after logging in today on PS5 is that some of my choices I made on a previous character (my first) I don't want done on my alt.. Now the NPC dialogue is condemning my alt for having done something he has never done before and something I wanted to do different and change.

Logged off, checked forums, made this post.. turned on PC going back to Lost Ark.. at least they do global achievements right.
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    I am getting barely any XP from completing World Bosses, World Events, and Delves, even while running an XP scroll since the update.
    Was this intended?

This KILLS any incentive to create new characters (and possibly even to play with my high-level characters who are still acquiring CP). It will take forever to level them.

On the contrary, as someone who used to only play a single character due to the lack of account-wide achievements, I can say that the change has given me a reason to play more characters. No longer will I feel like I am tied to a single character, out of fear that I might accidentally unlock an achievement on a character that isn't my main. Now I can even play different roles that I would never consider playing before, making me more likely to find groups for endgame content, since I'm not married to a single class like I used to be.
    Edited by BlissfulDeluge on March 29, 2022 8:49PM
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • dzugarueb17_ESO
    dzugarueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    making me more likely to find groups for endgame content
    Sorry to disappoint, but you're far less likely to find groups for endgame content now. So many people did endgame content to get achievements for other roles, classes and chars, and AwA in ZOS implementation makes that completely pointless. Statics for old trials? Good luck! Welcome to WoW where everyone just runs latest raid, its cool right?

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    I am getting barely any XP from completing World Bosses, World Events, and Delves, even while running an XP scroll since the update.
    Was this intended?

This KILLS any incentive to create new characters (and possibly even to play with my high-level characters who are still acquiring CP). It will take forever to level them.

I somehow missed this but there were 2 changes that came with update 33 that affected your experience gains here.
    Before update 33, most of the XP earned from WBs and delve bosses was tied to getting the achievement (presumably world events as well, I just haven't tested these and don't know the numbers as well). This meant you got a one time (per character) larger chunk of xp but repeat kills would not give nearly as much.
    With update 33, since the achievements are account wide, that opportunity would be lost for all WB and delve bosses that you'd killed on your account previously...except that also with the update they just flat out removed those xp bonuses that came with the achievement.
  • tindomiel4
    tindomiel4
    ✭✭✭

Maps

Also, they may have fixed ("fixed") it on the map, but my compass bar still has incomplete icons for completed things.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does AWA include delves, world bosses and bosses in public dungeons?

It’s a stupid move to now have all these as ‘done’ if already done once, let alone with the apparent loss of xp mentioned above (and no amount of xp scrolls will make me think different). It kills wanting to replay areas and sucks the fun out of the game.
    Edited by SerafinaWaterstar on March 30, 2022 5:18PM
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    making me more likely to find groups for endgame content
    Sorry to disappoint, but you're far less likely to find groups for endgame content now. So many people did endgame content to get achievements for other roles, classes and chars, and AwA in ZOS implementation makes that completely pointless. Statics for old trials? Good luck! Welcome to WoW where everyone just runs latest raid, its cool right?

I had to turn people away from my most recent cores I started because I had way more applicants especially on certain roles than I actually needed.

Going for my third Godslayer on the same character! Woohoo!
  • SeaWoodStage
    SeaWoodStage
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still in two minds about this. On the one hand, it's nice that I will never have to re-grind those PITA justice/fishing achievements that my main character put so much time into. Otoh, it's actually slightly weird that my alts can now equip titles like Master Angler that they didn't earn, only my main char did (and yeah I get that they don't have to use those titles, it's just still slightly weird for me that they're available to them).
    And I get that depending on your playstyle, a lot of people will say "Who cares? The same human who controls these characters did these things once, why do them again?" And part of me totally agrees with that. But there is a small part of me that isn't quite on board with it yet. Getting used to it I think.
  • SeaWoodStage
    SeaWoodStage
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, does anyone know if individual components to an achievement now count as account-wide? The 'trophy' ones have always pissed me off because RNG is horrible - I must've killed about 5,000 bears (being conservative there) before finally getting the Gnarled Bear Claw for example. Today I looked at my achievements and saw that my alts have the exact same specific trophies ticked off as my main - does this mean that from now on it doesn't matter who eventually gets, e.g. the stupid Strangler one? Up until now I've been actively avoiding killing Stranglers with my alts because it would drive me potty if one of those got the trophy before my main did - but maybe now I can kill every one I happen to see no matter which character I'm on?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of interest, does anyone know if individual components to an achievement now count as account-wide? The 'trophy' ones have always pissed me off because RNG is horrible - I must've killed about 5,000 bears (being conservative there) before finally getting the Gnarled Bear Claw for example. Today I looked at my achievements and saw that my alts have the exact same specific trophies ticked off as my main - does this mean that from now on it doesn't matter who eventually gets, e.g. the stupid Strangler one? Up until now I've been actively avoiding killing Stranglers with my alts because it would drive me potty if one of those got the trophy before my main did - but maybe now I can kill every one I happen to see no matter which character I'm on?

Yep, that's exactly what it means.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i have definitely been in that position before i just grinded them all out last year lol

ive had at least 5 different monster trophy drops happen on the "wrong" toon (as they were all pre-AWA)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014