The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• sollo_0
    sollo_0
    in pve perspective, the drop in dps is pretty rough when you're not in melee range. Its very evident in vAS. Spear is the only one that procs burning light and while jabs are nice, you're not catching up to felms and llothis while dealing with olms and his protectors and going back to your lane for kite with jabs. Enemies are all over the place, it's not realistic to use jabs.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will be nice to combo potl(1stack) poison arrow(2stack) charge (3stack) jabs (1hit ) boom burning light or just spam range ability to stack it it will change gameplay and will be easier to deal serious damage right now its risk sometimes if you enter fight you don't know you deal damage or not especially on stamplar where you not have healing on jabs when.
    when i play Warden i not feel that risk i know my abilities enter enemy or not it just works on templar its noodle or most deadly thing ever .
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some classes just can't have nice things
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »
    Some classes just can't have nice things

I love my templar. My stamina templar has a few things on the wishlist. But magicka templar is a very complete package that deals a ton of damage and makes a bomb healer, and is great in pvp too. Not sure what I would even want changed about magplar, I just hope they don't get nerfed.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love playing my main stamplar but he lacks tools compared to magplar he have only damage but its hard to deal that damage if you cant defense yourself because you lack effective healing. Stamplar lost many healing i years i remember old passive from imperial 3% max health healing its not much but something i remember heal over time from rally and rally burst after 15seconds now its harder to use you have only vigor and that rally. We get heal in rune but STAY IN PLACE and die faster than heal Extended ritual ok you can LOS(Line of sight) enemy and somehow work thanks to big circle but still not enough ,living dark can be ok but where stamina scaling and it was better when give immobilize(see nice things) to enemy. Why after that many years stamplar not get stamina class burst heal? (rushed ceremony) And blazing shield compare that to dk shield less shield but extra major mending and proc every passives and have nice synergy.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with you about stamplar healing. Stamplar used to have major protection on empowering sweep ultimate and also healing from ritual of retribution. Standing in rune to get heals in pvp is seldom helpful.

Living dark is such a powerful heal for magicka builds, I wish they would add weapon damage to the scaling. Honestly that would fix stamplars healing issues in pvp.

But magplars I still feel are better than okay they are fantastic right now.
  • shezof
    shezof
    ✭✭✭
    templar needs other skills to use in their rotation, in pvp an enemy using major evasion counters you pretty hard, because using jabs as primary damage tool is the only option literally. backlash morphs should be reworked. potl gimmick was minor breach but now its widely available. remove the heal from magicka morph so it works better in pve rotations, and replace it with something like minor vulnerability perhaps.

make dark flare morph a pve ranged spammable, make solar barrage a pvp morph by changing empower to major expedition.

currently empowering sweep morph is laughable. you get the same buff from solar barrage. its not special enough for an ultimate. replace it with major and minor breach.or make it so affected enemies has a unique 5 percent damage taken debuff.make it a stronger morph and increase cost.

javelin costs too much to use. make this skill work like frenzied momentum. when activated it stacks while in combat. at full stacks you can activate this ability.one morph lets you hurl a spear that knocks down enemies at impact.primary target can roll dodge or block the cc. other morph works like explosive spear, deals more damage based on how many enemies are near the initial target.

for spear charge, base range of this skill now reduced. explosive morph increases the range a lot, but can only be used on enemies you recently damaged. other morph still stuns. most magplars slots toppling to have cc and this skill usually doesn't work due to terrain elevation. having reduced range might help it work more consistently as a cc. having more range on other morph will require an animation change so it works better with terrain.

solar disturbance morph is changed to second sun. you can use the ability a second time in a time frame.doesnt grant an additional syngery to use, just lets you cover more ground.

vampire bane morph ticks every 0.5 seconds. reflective light should be increased to 4 targets, 3 is an odd number.

healing ritual should be a hot at base. one morph makes it a burst aoe heal and apply minor expedition, other increases the potency of hot and give minor vitality.

radiant aura is a great pve skill, but feels lacking as a morph. I think adding a synergy to it would make it more appealing.synergy restores your lowest resource, including health. repentance now restores your lowest resource, but amount is lowered if its not your highest resource pool.

ritual of retribution is now placed on you, with a smaller area. deals more damage as it ticks as usual.

templar for me should be the AoE Dps king in pve. I think it fits the class with all the skills it has. its already very good for aoe ups anyway but having more options doesn't hurt. in pvp I tried to make more class skills available to use, especially from a damage tool perspective. atm it feels very lackluster. some passives should also be reworked, necro and warden has much more stronger and unique passives, why not give some love to templar? hell not just necro or warden, nb and dk also has great passives.
  • B6L6Z6BUB
    B6L6Z6BUB
    ✭✭
    Make jabs a block cast ability. At certain points in the game block cast is necessary like with soul weavers in vrg. Every other class can block cast except templars. If you had a full group of magplars(which would never happen) the soul weaver shield wouldnt burst because there is no damage from templars blocking since their main class spammable doesnt block cast.

Also, crescent sweeps should provide a bonus of some sort. 60% damage in the path is not enough. I dont know if templars were meant to be a training class but they get left out of group comps all of the time because they only provide one buff and usually its because everyone wants to play templar healer. Dps numbers have been lower for magplars and while stamplars hit hard, they are stam so mag comps dont want them. Give us something to justify our position in a team comp please.
  • lQrukl
    lQrukl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make jabs a block cast ability...
    ...the soul weaver shield wouldnt burst because there is no damage from templars blocking since their main class spammable doesnt block cast
    Your main trash spamable is not sweeps. Its Shards. And u can cast it when blocking.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Templar Nova ultimate looks pretty sub-par compared to what the Dark Convergence set does. It makes me wish Nova's morphs could pull the way DC does.
  • WikiMeister
    WikiMeister
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like Puncturing Strikes should have healing as a base effect, with the Sweeps morph granting increased healing (same as live). This way, it ensures Stamplars can afford a little more survivability while on the offensive when using Jabs as it will still be able to heal, although nowhere near the potency of Sweeps.

If ZOS can convert Channeled/Restoring Focus to heal both Magicka and Stamina Templar, I don't see anything wrong with Jabs receiving a reduced healing intake as a base morph effect.
    AU | NA-PC Beta veteran since 2014. Dies to 999+ latency.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup it can be nice but after getting stamina morph biting jabs this healing is reduced from 44% to 22% and we get that extra crit chance , but walking this way magplar should get something in exchange too but what ?
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    How everyone see sustain on templar?

For me it lack something i don't know maybe passive similiar to burning light but after casting 4 abilities you get 500/1000 magicka or stamina whichever is higher(it will work nice with templar how this class work as spammer) its not much but sometimes sustain just not i have 1900 stamina regen pvp but still sometimes it feels like 0 im not talk about running and such because at that time sustain is 0. I fell like other classes have easier sustain in 1vx situation.
  • Fabi95
    Fabi95
    ✭✭✭
    After playing Templar as my main for 6 months, I noticed there are some huge disparities for quite a few Templar passives compared to other classes. For instance the "Restoring Spirit" passive needs rework since it's dated: "Reduces the Magicka, Stamina, and Ultimate costs of your abilities by 5%."

Let's compare this with the two following two Sorcerer passives:
    Unholy Knowledge: "Reduces the Health, Magicka, and Stamina costs of your abilities by 6%"
    Power Stone: "Reduces the cost of your Ultimate abilities by 15%"

The cost reduction for normal abilities is 1% higher, and Sorcerers also get a whole 10% extra reduction for all ultimates on top. This is extremely huge! And it makes the "Restoring Spirit" passive with it's humble 5% reduction very outdated, especially because Templars already struggle with sustain anyway. The Dawn's Wrath passive called "Prism" does not compensate here. 3 ultimate every 6 seconds for casting a Dawn's Wrath ability does unfortunately not come close to the flat 15% ultimate cost reduction for Sorcerers. On top, Sorcerers have extra passives for recovery already and a conversion skill.

My suggestion would be to increase the "Restoring Spirit" passive to at least 8%, this would be a great balanced value (this would need testing of course). Also reworking the "Enduring Rays" passive to include some sort of recovery bonus would be very needed, as a 2 seconds extension on some skills feels underwhelming.

Edit:
    On another note, I noticed a disparity with the "Spear Shards" skill compared to the Undaunted "Energy Orb". Spear Shards can be only used once, while Energy Orb can be used by all team members. Additionally, Spear Shards and Energy Orb share the same cooldown of 20 seconds, which does put Spear Shards in a very bad place. Especially the "Blazing Spear" morph, because it does entirely the same like the Energy Orb still (grants only one resource, not both magicka and stamina). Yet it can be only used once. This pushes Templar players to use Energy Orb instead, simply because it can be used by all players in the group. I feel that a class skill should be better, and I'm confused why Spear Shards was made to perform worse than the generally available Undaunted orb.

Thanks in advance for considering making improvements here.
    Edited by Fabi95 on October 4, 2021 2:07PM
  • Fabi95
    Fabi95
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Templar Nova ultimate looks pretty sub-par compared to what the Dark Convergence set does. It makes me wish Nova's morphs could pull the way DC does.

Yes I do agree with you there. To me it feels like that the ultimate ability itself (and some other skills) is very dated. Back then "major maim" was 16%, now it's 10%. Also there is many other ultimates by now that are more worth slotting (e.g. destruction staff ultimate), plus the Templar Nova ultimates are too expensive. Even the one that is already a bit cheaper. Also it needs to be considered that in practice, "major vulnerability" is typically worth more than "major maim" in dungeons. When a boss can be killed much faster, it cannot hurt you anymore. The same goes for skipping boss phases just by dealing lots of damage. And "major maim" does typically still not prevent damage that would kill a player. Since a tank with an ice staff and the "Destructive Touch" skill can now apply "major maim", this makes the Nova ultimate even more redundant. Therefore I feel the Nova ultimate needs to be greatly reworked, for example it could have its own unique damage reduction like the Psijic Order passive called "Deliberation" has it now.
    Edited by Fabi95 on October 4, 2021 1:53PM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    === Sun Fire ===

Proposed Changes:
    • Sun Fire:
      • This ability and its morphs now deal 80% more damage on their initial hit.

In light of the recent changes to Frost Reach to increase its viability as a potential spammable, I feel it may be reasonable to also increase the Direct Damage portion of Sun fire by a factor of 80%. This would increase the viability of using Sun Fire as a potential ranged spammable, while allowing it to keep it's Damage over Time portion unchanged. (Currently, its DoT portion deals the same damage as Destructive Reach's DoT portion).

Optionally, the further change could be made to the Vampire's Bane morph:
    • Vampire's Bane (morph):
      • This ability no longer lasts for longer. Now the DoT portion of this ability can stack up to 3 times.

This change is admittedly copied directly from Cleave, but I felt it could work for two reasons. For one, it would be more useful in my opinion than increasing the duration of the DoT portion of the ability. Two, this change would increase the "oppressive" nature this ability could have, particularly against Vampires who would be taking in more Flame Damage the more they were hit by it. It would lend credence to the name "Vampire's Bane".
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I return with my whine again please add Stamina cost Class burst heal to templar. Its hard to use magicka healing because we don't have passive or something to restore magicka when we are stamina and as magicka to restore stamina. Other classes have that option with sustain. Vigor not work everytime not on templar i have enough healing over time we need burst heal that work right now not after 20sec. Sustain and healing on stamplar its part of the same problem on magicka is easier to manage resources and healing.

1.Necromancer have passive he restore resources by corpses , and enemy dies and everywhere cost reduction.

2.Warden have passive that increase % regen of magicka and stamina and have 250 Nature's Gift passive , and free netch that can be spammed. And slow but bursty ability that do 2x more than 3 cast of templar jabs(i don't want to jabs buff)

3.DK with his ultimate resource restore ,and Combustion ok DK have problems but have option to restore not main resource.

4.Nightblade with passive restore Executioner and Refreshing shadow and tons of main resource after 20sec

5.Sorc Capacitor(magicka regen )passive and better reduction to costs 7% on all things and 15% on ultimates and tons of resource after cast 1 ability.

6.Templar have only Restoring Spirit that reduce cost on all by 6% compared to other classes sustain passives we lack especially because we need tons of stamina, magicka i have rune that have cost with stamina or magicka restore but that all.
    Repentence not work on templar most of the time ,problem is corpses its useless in long 1v1 fight. Necromancer produce corpses we not. And other morph is weak compared to Destruction Staff Element Drain(because Major breach).
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any suggestions on running a hybrid Templar?

I get so much variety...just not a lot of damage...
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on running a hybrid Templar?

I get so much variety...just not a lot of damage...

Just play magplar in medium with a 2h or dw front bar. Very hybrid-esque but totally normal these days.

Alternatively, do stamplar but with an ice staff back bar
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe im weird but i hate using living dark this skill not work for me(its weak for me)i play mostly stamina templar and its harder to use without using orzorga food almost impossible because you need to choose purge or this , without working secondary resource restore management its impossible. And stamina class burst heal is needed not everywhere heal over time.
    Edited by mmtaniac on October 19, 2021 9:43AM
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭
    2 Main Pain Points for Templar
    • Passives have not aged well, and feel like they have little impact in shaping a cohesive play-style for the Templar as a whole. What do you want Templar identity to look like in combat in both PVE and PVP contexts? How is it differentiated and retain a unique sense as a class?
    • The static nature of Templar abilities. Abilities have not aged well, do not feel like they work very well together. Certain abilities do the same thing pretty much or morphs accomplish the same function like Hasty Prayer and its morphs, or for instance, Toppling Charge / Explosive Charge. Other abilities like Nova only reduce dmg by 16% and still need to be activated by another player to reach their full potential instead of being accessible to the Templar themselves.

As a Templar main who has played nothing but Templar since I first started the game in 2018, it doesn't feel very fun to play. Mostly I pull from other skill lines outside the class to flesh it out, or I just stay as a werewolf most days.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should rename POTl to Tickling of the invisible Light
    We have used PotL to mark targets for ages, why make it invisible to allies?
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS should rename POTl to Tickling of the invisible Light
    We have used PotL to mark targets for ages, why make it invisible to allies?

Was going to say because it does nothing for allies since they cannot contribute to the damage anymore but then I realized it does provide minor breech that can be beneficial to allies. Sure, a lot of tanks already provide this with the Pierce Armor skill.

Honestly ZOS really should give POTL a different secondary benefit. Minor breech used to be a generally a templar only thing for group content but not anymore. Maybe a heal just like Purifying Light. Which help a stamplar stand they’re ground more since healing on a stamplar is weak in class skills.

Stay safe and happy hunting :)
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup Power of the light should have something different right now major breach or stamina regen by % damage after explosion damage dealt or maybe some extra healing.

Stamplar still lack in self healing and defense, compared to magplar is harder to survive and compared to every stamina classes, we lack stamina defense mechanic , class burst heal.

Vigor and Rally work better on other classes ,thanks to damage mitigation :

Nightblade can dissapear and heal self its easier to use Rally ,one of nb mechanics have similiar system to rally .

Warden have tons of mitigation that reduce damage and have % burst heal by max hp.

DK have extra healing from ultimate and one off best defense ultimate in game, i have few defense abilities and option to easier return magicka when you play stamina.

Necromancer tons of % damage reduction dot damage reduction % ,10% damage reduction by ghost , major protection with % healing,

Sorcerer have giant unbloackable stun + teleport best runaway mechanic that give possibilites to easier heal.

Stamplar run away and defense mechanic : run run run , block and stay in circles (staying in circles only increase how fast you die). You cant just click and get heal ,you cant purge 6times in row max 2-3 times but if you do this you can't have living dark (not enough magicka)
  • Fabi95
    Fabi95
    ✭✭✭
    Where Templar does fall short compared to other classes is the lack of dynamic bonuses when slotting a skill. These do exist plenty on Nightblade, Necromancer and Warden (e.g. getting 3% damage buff, 3% damage reduction, just for slotting a certain skill). This does notably show on the Necromancer class:

Restoring Tether - While slotted, your Healing Done is increased by 3%.
    Expunge - While slotted, the cost of all your abilities are reduced by 3%.
    Shocking Siphon - While slotted, your damage done is increased by 3%.
    Bitter Harvest - While slotted, your damage taken is reduced by 3%.

None of this exists for Templar, but exists in variations on other classes. How this could be properly integrated into the Templar class is of course up to the dev team, please consider bringing Templar into 2021 / 2022. Possible suggestions to enhance existing skills for Templar:

Sun Shield - 3% less damage taken while slotted
    Solar Flare - 3% increased damage while slotted
    Eclipse - 3% increased healing taken while slotted
    Healing Ritual - 3% increased healing done while slotted

As a suggestion for a rework of the "Radiant Aura" skill: Range decreased from 28 meters to 22, on use now grants nearby allies 15% recovery of their highest resource (either health recovery, magicka recovery or stamina recovery). As only one resource recovery bonus is granted, this does not get in competition with the Warden's "Enchanted Growth" skill; while still serving as a valuable quality-of-life improvement for the Templar class. A change here would be needed because Warden's "minor toughness" and 15% recovery on everyone are so extremely powerful, that they can undermine a Templar's role and attractiveness as a support and healer in a group.

Additional suggestions for class passive changes:
    Light Weaver - Grants 1 ultimate for both you and the ally for healing a target below 75% health. Doubles on targets below 50% health, triples on targets below 25%.
    Enduring Rays - Increases damage done by 1% for each active Dawn's Wrath ability. Increases damage over time by 2% for each active Dawn's Wrath ability. Doubles to 2% and 4% respectively on targets below 50% health.
    Spear Wall - Damage reduction of 5% is unique instead of being tied to "minor protection"
    Burning Light - Each class line ability that can deal damage is now able to trigger this passive. (This does dramatically help to not force Templars of having to use Aedric Spear skills only in order to stay competitive. For instance people who use "Dark Flare" as their spammable do lose out on lots of damage, which is not a problem on other classes due to extra bonuses; like Sorcerer's "Crystal Shards" 35% chance of a more powerful, cheaper, instant cast fragment).
    Edited by Fabi95 on November 1, 2021 6:07AM
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play stam DK this patch and being able to heal while running moving and doing damage is nice thing. I don't get why stamplar can't have nice things your all damage is in one ability and you can't even use this because you not have burst heal or other form of healing WHILE MOVE not stay.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valkyn skoria should proc on sweeps and jabs
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valkyn skoria should proc on sweeps and jabs

Except that that ability isn't a DoT - it's Direct Damage.