The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

LibCustoMenuSubMenu Error Message upon Login

Talyndor
Talyndor
✭✭✭
Hi, all.
For over a week now, whenever I log in, I get the following error message:

"Failed to create control. LibCustomMenuSubMenu.Duplicate name."

Is anyone else seeing this and is there a patch or fix?
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you running any UI add-ons?
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the ESOUI comment section of LibCustomMenu.
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1146-LibCustomMenu.html#comments
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Talyndor
    Talyndor
    ✭✭✭

Thanks!
    It took some tweaking and trying to understand the comments on the web page (tweaking addons, etc., is not my forte), but I appear to have fixed it. No more error messages when I log on.

[fingers crossed]
  • Talyndor
    Talyndor
    ✭✭✭
    Are you running any UI add-ons?

Yes. The comment below directed to the relevant web page. I think I solved it (I am always uncomfortable going inside texts, etc., and tweaking that kind of stuff, lest I screw up everything!)
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also read my additional comment in the LibCustomMenu addon comments about deleting the whole files from the subfolders of the addons.
    Tweaking addon txt files is not needed then.

I've copied my post over here:
    A description what has happened here and why these problems occur (even with multiple different addons):
    Libraries are reusable code. Some addons include them in subfolders (which is okay if they also include the Lib*.txt file which the game's addon manager recognizes and loads properly then).
    Others just add the dependency to their own addon's txt files and thus the game's addon manager wil look for ANY of th Lib*.txt files in ANY of your live/AddOns subfolders (up to sublevel 3!).
    If any version is found it will load that version and use it.
    If a newer version is found (all handled by the the Lib*.txt files, and their tag ## AddOnVersion: <number>) it will ONLY load this version then.
    This assures that only the newest version of a lib is loaded.

But some older addons, but also (sad but true) even commonly used and recently updated addons, do not handle it like this.
    They will put the libs in the subfolders of the addon WITHOUT the Lib*.txt file. So there are only the Lib*.lua files.
    And in the addon's txt file (e.g. LazyWritCreator.txt), which the game always loads and checks what other files to include for the addon to be able to work, they call the lib's lua files "hardcoded" with lines like /libs/Lib*.lua
    This will make the lua code of the libs, no matter which verison was included (could be very old, or could be the most actual one), to be executed.
    Even if the ingame addon manager has already loaded a newer version (via the Lib*.txt file properly) before.
    So the old code will/might overwrite the newer one breaking several addons that way.
    Even if the devs include a Lib'.lua file with the most current version today: In a few days there might be a patch to that Lib and then the included version is "old again".
    if they do not include the Lib*.txt file as well, which will make the ingame addon manager to check and not load the old version then, as it will find a newer version elsewhere (e.g. in live/AddOns/Lib*), the old code will destroy newer ones :(

The easiest fix is to remove the "hardcoded" calls to the libs. Either by manipulating the txt files of the addons where these hardcoded lines are in.
    Or by deleing the Lib*.lua files in the subfolder "libs" of addons.

But attention:
    There might be libraries in the subfolders of addons which have NEVER been released to the public (cannot be found at www.esoui.com and thus not at Minion)! So always check if the library in the subfolder is on esoui or not. If not: Keep the files of that lib as it might be missign elese and break your addon.
    But if it is given at esoui: Install that library from esoui manually/via Minion to your live/AddOns folder and keep it updated there. Remove the same library from any subfolder of other addons!

Benefit:
    The lib will be only called from live/AddOns/Lib* then. Only 1 place to check in case of errors and only 1 place to update (even works via Minion then).

Downside:
    Some addons which had the hardcoded lines in their txt files did not specify the "## DependsOn: Lib*" or "## OptionalDependsOn: Lib*" in their addon's txt file. They did not need to as the hardcoded lines were always loaded.
    But these (Optional)DependsOn says the addon that the library will be needed to be called BEFORE the addon is loaded in order to provide data to the addon e.g.

So either add the library name to the DependsOn lines of the addons where you have deleted the subfolder "libs" entries, like e.g.
    ## DependsOn: LibAddonMenu-2.0 LibCustomMenu LibSets

-> The name to add is the name of the folder of txt file of the library, e.g. LibAddonMenu-2.0.txt, or LibCustomMenu.txt, or LibSets.txt

Or try if everything works okay and leave it the way it is.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talyndor wrote: »

Thanks!
    It took some tweaking and trying to understand the comments on the web page (tweaking addons, etc., is not my forte), but I appear to have fixed it. No more error messages when I log on.

[fingers crossed]

It would have been helpful if you could post a short summary of the steps you did, because on that site there is much discussion of lazy writ crafter, which I do not have (stilll, I have the bug). And I am too impatient to read through much wall of text often with inconsistent explanations...
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok for anyone who has this similar bug here is a short summary:

1. check error message details to find the name of the addon
    2. go into the addon folder, find its .txt file. Ensure that
    3. LibCustomMenu can be found in the line ## DependsOn:
    4. comment out any line of the form libs\LibCustomMenu\LibCustomMenu.lua etc., linking to a local outdated LibCustomMenu library.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »
    Ok for anyone who has this similar bug here is a short summary:

1. check error message details to find the name of the addon
    2. go into the addon folder, find its .txt file. Ensure that
    3. LibCustomMenu can be found in the line ## DependsOn:
    4. comment out any line of the form libs\LibCustomMenu\LibCustomMenu.lua etc., linking to a local outdated LibCustomMenu library.

Ty
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this