The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Proc Sets Are Fun: The Silent Majority

• hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love proc sets being such a big part of the pvp meta now. It makes cyrodil so much more fun and interesting now! Finally everyone is being forced to think things through instead of just using the same old boring strategies and builds every time.
  • HanStolo
    HanStolo
    ✭✭✭
    This game is about fun, not about some elitist measurement of skill. Proc sets give the devs so much more creative potential than most simple stat buff sets, and are fun for the majority of the player base. When properly balanced they raise the skill floor just enough to help weaker players contribute and enjoy the game more (without lowering the skill ceiling much), and they also help keep this game new and exciting.

From the same whiner that loses some BG round and goes on a rampage to nerf the proc set Sergeants.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This build just gets more broken next update.

This is the kind of proc tank build talk about

It very much kills, it very much lives and it very much ignores all offensive stats completely

https://youtu.be/XlXNNNli1Fs

Zaan on a 50K health tank = balanced
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did OP just say that elite PvP players use only stat based builds and mostly duel? Wow. Do you even PvP? 😮😮😮
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most new sets in this game are proc sets, and for a good reason: they give the devs a lot of creative ability and are a lot of fun for the majority of players. You get cool new animations and game mechanics and if the set was designed properly, it usually has fair counterplay and good balance.

Unfortunately there is a very vocal minority who always post in these forums against proc sets. These players are almost always high level PVP'rs (often duelers) with very big egos who think that their personal assessment of "skill" matters more than "fun" for the majority of players. These elitists are usually heavily invested in stat based builds and run things like balorghs, new moon, fury, clever alch, dragonguard, bloodspawn: and are extremely biased towards their investment and the way they have been playing this game for years. Their primary argument is that proc sets remove skill from the game because they fight for you, whereas with stat sets and stat based procs -> you still have to do the fighting. Let me explain why that is a false premise

1. When you use a damage proc set you give up the buffed stats you would have gotten with a stat based 5 piece set. This means that your entire character is less effective and unless the proc set is good enough of an alternative to this "opportunity cost" -> nobody will use it over the stat sets

2. No proc set is good enough where you don't have to "play" , because these sets go through balance testing. Whether you are using procs, or stat sets -> you still have to play the game. Proc sets do help newer/worse players contribute more, so they raise the skill floor -> but they don't lower the skill ceiling much at all because high end players understand counterplay and always adapt to new metas.

3. Devs have data: They can see that most of the high end PVPrs were using stat sets... They know that stat based builds have been over performing in most PVP compared to proc sets since this game was made. The only place where procs might be outperforming stats now is in Battlegrounds or on malacath builds, and that is refreshing because it creates alternative gameplay. Data > Biased rants on forums; and that is likely the reason why they recently improved all proc sets.

This game is about fun, not about some elitist measurement of skill. Proc sets give the devs so much more creative potential than most simple stat buff sets, and are fun for the majority of the player base. When properly balanced they raise the skill floor just enough to help weaker players contribute and enjoy the game more (without lowering the skill ceiling much), and they also help keep this game new and exciting.

This is NOT a minority that is against proc sets being dominant. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/549781/do-you-enjoy-the-proc-set-meta-in-pvp/p1 See my poll where 85% of voters are against the proc set meta.

Also, why are we necroing this thread that is literally baiting in the current climate if the game??
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is NOT a minority that is against proc sets being dominant. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/549781/do-you-enjoy-the-proc-set-meta-in-pvp/p1 See my poll where 85% of voters are against the proc set meta.

Also, why are we necroing this thread that is literally baiting in the current climate if the game??

Thanks for linking your poll. I voted in favor of proc sets.
  • Renegader
    Renegader
    ✭✭✭
    this is true, i wanted to resurrect this thread a bit since its true, i miss procs
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for my personal experience and preference; I adore proc pet sets, or something with an interesting visual such as the stormfist monster set.

It's fun, it adds to the experience and it adds to the backstories I come up with for my characters.
    ThePedge wrote: »
    No new players wants to go into PvP, get instantly hit by 3 proc sets and die in a second.

Stat-based builds at least require the user to do something, and the new player will see his enemy doing animations and skills. .

Between lag and the ever-mysterious "I hit that guy with my ulti and his bar didn't flicker" I have no idea what killed me in PvP unless my after death screen tells me (and sometimes it never manifests).

I do not have the reflexes to play PvP; I'm just meat there, so I don't bother with it.

I personally would be fine if there were "skill adjustments" along with the "Battle Spirit" or whatever it is to adapt things to PvP in theory, but in practice what it seems the PvP players are advocating for is to widen the gap between damage a high skilled player can do and a low skilled player can do.

Making PvP even more abhorrent to anyone other than a super-twitch player that kills all opponents.

IF what PvP players want is for the average PvE player to be easily ganked, THEN I can see the reason for all the distress.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis