The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Proc Sets Are Fun: The Silent Majority

• Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    Venomous is tame compared to some of the new procs. And NMA is getting nerfed and will be absolute garbage in comparison. Balorgh has the potential to be very strong, but with low uptime and requires proper burst combos to be useful. Eternal Vigor is not an offensive set, and while it provides too much stats compared to other stat sets, there is not much point bringing it up in a discussion about dmg sets. It simply has an entirely different purpose.

I can also hit acid spray once and land 7dots in one ability. If unleashed terror wasn’t good, nobody would want to use it. Why would they take the time to create new content, where the rewards are clearly worse than sets that have been in the game for years: such as necropotence combined with amberplasm or some other incredibly good stat set combo that has stood the test of time.

I’m more excited by unleashed terror than all other new sets in the game and I don’t even use gap closers currently! I want to see it in action, and would love to have it used against me. It also makes me want to theory craft builds that use a gap closer.

I will not buy into the proc alarmism and hysteria, and I have provided evidence for why I believe it’s fake news. I don’t see viper/tremor repeat any time soon. And like I said before, if any proc set does overperform (which is entirely possible) -> they will have the data and simply nerf it in the future.

This wasn't about landing 7 DoTs, it was about how much dmg with skills you have to deal in oder for Deadly Strike to be as effective as Unleashed Terror. And no, 1 Acid Spray isn't going to cut it, nor are your 7 PIs. And it's not even close.

Ignoring reasons why those sets are op does not equal providing evidence they are not.
    Edited by Rianai on July 26, 2020 9:11PM
  • sabresandiego_ESO
    sabresandiego_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venomous is tame compared to some of the new procs. And NMA is getting nerfed and will be absolute garbage in comparison. Balorgh has the potential to be very strong, but with low uptime and requires proper burst combos to be useful. Eternal Vigor is not an offensive set, and while it provides too much stats compared to other stat sets, there is not much point bringing it up in a discussion about dmg sets. It simply has an entirely different purpose.

I can also hit acid spray once and land 7dots in one ability. If unleashed terror wasn’t good, nobody would want to use it. Why would they take the time to create new content, where the rewards are clearly worse than sets that have been in the game for years: such as necropotence combined with amberplasm or some other incredibly good stat set combo that has stood the test of time.

I’m more excited by unleashed terror than all other new sets in the game and I don’t even use gap closers currently! I want to see it in action, and would love to have it used against me. It also makes me want to theory craft builds that use a gap closer.

I will not buy into the proc alarmism and hysteria, and I have provided evidence for why I believe it’s fake news. I don’t see viper/tremor repeat any time soon. And like I said before, if any proc set does overperform (which is entirely possible) -> they will have the data and simply nerf it in the future.

This wasn't about landing 7 DoTs, it was about how much dmg with skills you have to deal in oder for Deadly Strike to be as effective as Unleashed Terror. And no, 1 Acid Spray isn't going to cut it, nor are your 7 PIs. And it's not even close.

Ignoring reasons why those sets are op does not equal providing evidence they are not.

Let's look at a place where proc sets actually ARE arguably best in slot: Battlegrounds. The reason procs are good here is because you can use mobility and your teamates to make up for your weaker stats. And also the way scoring works, you can get more damage and killing blows more often with procs.

But even in battlegrounds, you see plenty of stat builds that do really well. Which really begs the question if procs are even overpowered here. In addition, many people enjoy battlegrounds more than all other forms of PVP. I know I personally do, and there is already a "proc meta" in bgs. And its not bad because you can build to counter it, and use procs yourself. And its really fun because the procs add new gameplay elements and effects.

Now ofcourse, thats just my opinion. And if you are measuring everything by some biased and arbitrary skill thermometer than you might not see things the same way as me. But I am having fun.
    Edited by sabresandiego_ESO on July 26, 2020 9:50PM
    Ali Dreadsabre -Necromancer
    Ali Sabre -Nightblade
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's look at a place where proc sets actually ARE arguably best in slot: Battlegrounds. The reason procs are good here is because you can use mobility and your teamates to make up for your weaker stats. And also the way scoring works, you can get more damage and killing blows more often with procs.

But even in battlegrounds, you see plenty of stat builds that do really well. Which really begs the question if procs are even overpowered here. In addition, many people enjoy battlegrounds more than all other forms of PVP. I know I personally do, and there is already a "proc meta" in bgs. And its not bad because you can build to counter it, and use procs yourself. And its really fun because the procs add new gameplay elements and effects.

Now ofcourse, thats just my opinion. And if you are measuring everything by some biased and arbitrary skill thermometer than you might not see things the same way as me. But I am having fun.

"The reason procs are good [in BGs] is because you can use mobility and your teamates to make up for your weaker stats."

Huh? Why can't you "use mobility and your teammates" in CP? What does either of those have to do with the relative strength of proc sets?
  • sabresandiego_ESO
    sabresandiego_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langeston:

In cp dueling: you have no teammates and your weak stats are exposed as a huge weakness when running too many procs.
    In cp cyrodil: your weaker stats counterbalance your procs and there is no proc meta yet -> procs are useful and balance is good

Procs are relatively stronger in nocp than in cp damage wise, but your stat weaknesses are also much worse in nocp.

That’s why if you are dueling or soloing in nocp cyrodil on a proc build: you will feel the stat weakness and procs feel balanced to me in nocp as well.

However in battlegrounds you always have three teammates. They can cover for your stat weaknesses. Technically if you have teammates in cyrodil this can also be the case. This is the 1 or 2 places where I feel procs do have a slight advantage over stat builds. You always have teammates in battlegrounds, not to mention a third team which also alters fight dynamics.

The biggest factor is there’s a scoreboard that tracks your damage and killing blows for death match: unlike in cyrodil. So procs can help you get a better score. Yet despite all this, stat builds are still good in BGs and the balance is pretty close. I switch back and forth between procs and stats in bgs.

I think we are likely to see good builds incorporate both stat sets and proc sets together next patch: rather then go pure procs or pure stats. I think it opens up build creativity. Anyways I feel like I’m rambling now and am going to take a break from the discussions.

Edited by sabresandiego_ESO on July 26, 2020 10:37PM
    Ali Dreadsabre -Necromancer
    Ali Sabre -Nightblade
  • exiledtyrant
    exiledtyrant
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark.
    This is actually a good way of looking at it. Proc sets work great when they outright kill someone. You don't want them so strong that that will happen, especially in the hands of a nightblade ganker. If they don't kill someone, though, then my particular build, at least, hits like a wet noodle. This effect will vary by build. Mine is extreme in that regard.
    The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game.
    This is something that took me a long time to grasp and accept. I think maybe some people are holding out for much better set / class / build balance than can ever be achieved, especially those who measure their prowess by duelling.
    Langeston wrote: »
    To truly prove proc sets are doing more damage than stat based sets you would have to provide a much more rigorous test:
    Agree. You would have to do a whole suite of tests.
    1. Match the highest stat based set vs the highest proc based set within a 10 second window. Necropotence + Clever alchemist under spell power pot vs Caluurions + Overwhelming with spell power pot.
    Partially agree. I think the window should be no bigger than 5 seconds, as that is roughly the size of the window we're looking at with regard to most of the complaints re: proc sets. Class should be controlled (use two templars, wardens, necros, etc.) which would reduce the number of variables by quite a bit. I also think stam toons should probably be used, seeing as most of the stronger proc sets right now appear to be stam, and those are what people seem to be concerned about for the most part.
    2. Have both sets under the effect of malacath so their is no critical variance.
    I don't necessarily agree. Whether or not Malacath is used should be based on whether or not it will benefit said build. For instance on a Templar or NB using sets that include lines of crit, Malacath may hamstring the build's burst. Any variance should be able to be accounted for by multiple, averaged tests. If Malacath will benefit the proc build (likely) it should definitely be used.
    3. Match a fairly net neutral helm set that is not prone to variance and player error that benefits both proc and stat based sets equally. I would suggest slimecrawl as nothing can be more generic and straightforward than 8% damage to everything.
    Disagree. I think that the proc build should use whatever proc monster set will be beneficial to it's burst. After all, the purpose of this test is to determine just how extreme proc builds are, no? If you're using Malacath you may not want to use Slimecraw as you'd be wasting 3.9% crit (small yes, but it adds up) instead, something like Grothdarr may be a better option. By the same token, the stat build should use whatever set benefits it's burst the most.
    4. Test a PvP rotation over 10 seconds with 1, 2 , and 3 weaved skills and determine total damage done after battle spirit for each.
    Disagree for the same reason as #1 re: length of burst window.
    5. Test a PvP opening rotation using 1, 2, and 3 weaved skills and determine how much burst happens within the time frame for each after battle spirit.
    Partially agree. Timeframe should be 5 seconds (give or take) and the rotation should be whatever the given class would normally use, unless the proc sets require a different action. Since most proc sets now only require damage to be done, the same rotation should be able to be used on both builds in most cases.
    I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark. This should be especially true on the 1 ability weave vs the 3 ability weave test as stat based sets get stronger the more damage abilities are used. All this would mean is that proc sets have a niche of being bursty ( better vs lower resistance / health / sustain targets) and stat sets are better at sustained damage ( better vs high resistance / health / sustain targets).
    This is what I would assume as well, but as I stated earlier I think sustained damage is largely irrelevant with regard to this topic. Sure there are plenty of high resistance / health / sustain targets in PVP, but they aren't likely the ones worried about all of the incoming proc sets. What people are worried about is lack of counterplay — if you survive for 10 seconds, then there was counterplay.
    If the burst itself is considered to high than the burst sets have to be put to the test vs setups that counter burst before even considering a nerf. That means taking the standardized test I mention above and stacking it against sets like Juggernaut, Orgnum's Scales etc.. and seeing if burst resistant setups are being overwhelmed. If procs sets warp the meta in a ways that counter based sets can't do their job that is an argument I can get behind. Even then it would have to prove that time to kill is so out of wack that under normal circumstances use of LOS and team play are circumvented by it.
    Disagree. If the burst is too high, the burst is to high. Whether or not defensive proc sets can survive offensive proc set burst is irrelevant — if the defensive proc sets are altogether stronger than the offensive proc sets and are not overwhelmed, it doesn't change the fact that the burst from proc sets was found to be unacceptably high. Also, I feel like this is telling people that if they want to survive the impending proc set free-for-all they'll just have to use defensive proc sets, and that is not an acceptable solution IMO.
    Dueling is not going to provide this kind of data. The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game. These imbalances are put in place to encourage group play and place safety valves on one setup vs another. You can't balance that kind of system in a 1 v1 environment.
    Partially agree. I don't think that 1v1 scenarios should be the only form of test used, but they definitely are relevant to the conversation. Unless you never find yourself in 1v1 scenarios.

(This are just my initial thoughts. I haven't considered them too much, and could definitely be persuaded to change my mind given good enough counterpoints.)

1. I would argue two points for stretching out the burst window to 10 seconds. The 10 seconds is presumably the window of time Caluurions is balanced around damage wise and therefore should show it maximum potential vs another 5 piece bonus. After you establish the maximum potential of the set you can walk it back as many seconds as you want to determine where each set hits its peak in performance within that 10 second window. Secondly neither of us can say for a fact what the average burst window is in PvP. Only ZoS has that info. I feel its much better to work off a spectrum of total possible damage than try to assert what may or may not be the case, at least where possible.

As far as classes and stamina goes etc I think that's all fine and good, but would take a long time. I would say the first test should be whatever the highest capable magicka burst class is (since Caluurions and proc sets shaped around it are being targetted) put up against each class in a light / heavy / medium setup that has a burst counter and one that does not. If the highest potential class build shows no signs of being unbalanced any class below it should be theoretically balanced performance wise.

2. Firstly Malacath will almost always be the best increase in damage outside of very niche setups that can overcome the large devaluation of critical strike and damage impenetrable gives. I would argue none of those setups are open enough that you could test them across every class or consistent enough to provide a proper test. Also variance across averages could take a long time. I would rather just lean on the one item that eliminates variance and provides more damage in almost every scenario impenetrable is a consideration.

3. Monster helms are pretty well balanced against each other. Yes the critical chance is wasted but it such a small piece of equation that I feel sacrificing it is not going to skew results in a way that matters. An 8% bonus however is net neutral, has no variance, and should give about as much damage as a monster set of any other type on average. If you try to ascertain what helm is best for who its going to vary widely from class to class and setup to setup for what I see as little gain.

4. The rotation is needed to establish the damage spectrum I mentioned in my first point. I am making an assertion that most people use at least 3 damage based abilities in an attempt to burst them. We scale it up from 1 ability to 3 just to supply more data on what damage potential would look like from 1 - 3 in a burst window. Much like the actual burst window I don't have the data ZoS would have to determine the real average of abilities used or within what time frame. I can only assume that under normal circumstances a competent player will not die consistently from someone spamming one or two abilities on them.

5. You can disagree with the solution of defensive sets countering offensive sets, but then you are trying to argue against how class balance and itemization was designed from its very foundation. A lot of the niche sets were not designed to sit in a cupboard collecting dust while everyone one used the one true set ( whatever that may be for whatever meta you're in) for eternity. They were designed to place safety valves on different types of gameplay. These hard counters instigate organic meta change that not only makes the devs jobs easier ( they don't have to to jump at every slight shift in meta if they've provided counters), but it also keeps the meta from being stale. I'll try to illustrate my point with a real life example:

Way back in the dinosaur era of ESO PvP there was a burst meta where direct damage was king and a lot of it. Some people got it into their head that instead complaining about snipe and nightblade ganks etc... they would try out different sets to try and counter being blown off the planet by all the incoming damage. One of the solution was a set called Whitestrake's Retribution( some people might not even know what this is anymore so I'll link it: https://eso-sets.com/set/whitestrakes-retribution).

Whitestrake may not look like much now but back in the day it was a force. It kept you alive, made the burst setup up actually have to have a back up plan, and PvP for the most part could happen. To counter sets like Whitestrake the meta shifted from burst to more sustained damage. Admittedly Whitestrake in particular did its job a bit to well even after the meta shift and had to be nerfed, but the point still stands.

This is how the game has operated pretty much since beta. I feel its a good system. You should be able to be weak against some things and strong against others and those factors should be determined by what you wear and what class you play. If a setup overwhelms its counters I could see there being a problem, however if its the other way around I couldn't agree to a nerf.

6. If 1 v1 scenarios determined by any appreciable margin the outcome of what constitutes winning in a game entirely built around group PvP I would concede the point however, I have held the stance that it does not for years and have yet to be convinced otherwise.
    Edited by exiledtyrant on July 27, 2020 4:52AM
    If all are brethren
    How could my hands not tremble
    As breath fled my prey?

What blinds my vision?
    My hands are tools; it must be
    The haze of blossoms

-Salous the Penitent
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FrankonPC wrote: »
    MincVinyl wrote: »

It is hard to say that because it is on a 10s window and procs free of so many simple conditions(light attacks) it is hard to use it for burst compared to anything else. Even without one barring to guarantee when you want to proc it, all you need is an addon to track it, much like tracking your enchant procs if you are really having trouble. Even then, most stat builds run similarly timed sets, which require you to then use those stats via skills instead of free guaranteed damage.

Then to compare the tooltip being equal to most ultimates.

Animation wise for caluurions and other proc sets is not easy to see at all....not to mention caluurions in particular has the animation go on the caster.

The timing is every 10s a 20k proc....the equivalent ult takes between 60-90sec(depending on ult gen sources....build investment). Imagine getting a free ult every 10s for only losing 300damage to ~600damage(similar proc conditions). Why wouldnt you give up the 300-600 damage? Sure you lose a bit of healing, but making kills easy to grab is well worth it at this point.

Exactly this. It procs every 10 seconds on your light attack weave. Just about every mag spec in the game is using a staff and they are light attack weaving while going on the offensive. You can compare for yourself the pros of having caluurions front bar vs a set like spinners, new moon, war maiden etc, but a 20k guaranteed burst on a light attack every 10 seconds is something good players can and will incorporate into their toolkit. Caluurions has always had a powerful tooltip, but the only thing stopping it from being super overtuned on other classes was that you couldn't guarantee the lineup of the proc on your burst combination, now you can.

My current combination on magplar i hit purifying light, shock clench, topple, sweeps and crescent. I am probably going to take purifying light off and replace it with something else as it currently stands, so it will be shock clench into a topple. shock clench procs caluurions, i toppling charge in and get the knockdown WITH the proc landing almost at the exact same time. I get ultimate level damage every time i guarantee a toppling knockdown. You can do this effectively on mag sorc with streak and a mag dk with talons.

All you have to do is know how to line up burst and count to 10 and you're getting so much more damage with caluurions compared to war maiden, bsw, etc. This will be THE set to run on a lot of specs due to its conditional change.

You are thinking too far into it even then. just run a 50-60khp tank which is easy since this game makes it so easy with cp to build tankiness over damage. Then all your damage comes from a 20-21k proc every 10sec. Malacath+caluurions+ light attacking.....literally light attacking. No special combo/buff rotation....just light attacking. Then all you need is tank and sustain.

If i can still kill people by bash spamming on my normal 1vX toon, i guarantee a 20k proc paired with dots/delayed damage will still do fine with malacath there to make up for no damage sets. It will probably feel like a damage build noncritting with the no damage stats+malacath.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark.
    This is actually a good way of looking at it. Proc sets work great when they outright kill someone. You don't want them so strong that that will happen, especially in the hands of a nightblade ganker. If they don't kill someone, though, then my particular build, at least, hits like a wet noodle. This effect will vary by build. Mine is extreme in that regard.
    The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game.
    This is something that took me a long time to grasp and accept. I think maybe some people are holding out for much better set / class / build balance than can ever be achieved, especially those who measure their prowess by duelling.
    Langeston wrote: »
    To truly prove proc sets are doing more damage than stat based sets you would have to provide a much more rigorous test:
    Agree. You would have to do a whole suite of tests.
    1. Match the highest stat based set vs the highest proc based set within a 10 second window. Necropotence + Clever alchemist under spell power pot vs Caluurions + Overwhelming with spell power pot.
    Partially agree. I think the window should be no bigger than 5 seconds, as that is roughly the size of the window we're looking at with regard to most of the complaints re: proc sets. Class should be controlled (use two templars, wardens, necros, etc.) which would reduce the number of variables by quite a bit. I also think stam toons should probably be used, seeing as most of the stronger proc sets right now appear to be stam, and those are what people seem to be concerned about for the most part.
    2. Have both sets under the effect of malacath so their is no critical variance.
    I don't necessarily agree. Whether or not Malacath is used should be based on whether or not it will benefit said build. For instance on a Templar or NB using sets that include lines of crit, Malacath may hamstring the build's burst. Any variance should be able to be accounted for by multiple, averaged tests. If Malacath will benefit the proc build (likely) it should definitely be used.
    3. Match a fairly net neutral helm set that is not prone to variance and player error that benefits both proc and stat based sets equally. I would suggest slimecrawl as nothing can be more generic and straightforward than 8% damage to everything.
    Disagree. I think that the proc build should use whatever proc monster set will be beneficial to it's burst. After all, the purpose of this test is to determine just how extreme proc builds are, no? If you're using Malacath you may not want to use Slimecraw as you'd be wasting 3.9% crit (small yes, but it adds up) instead, something like Grothdarr may be a better option. By the same token, the stat build should use whatever set benefits it's burst the most.
    4. Test a PvP rotation over 10 seconds with 1, 2 , and 3 weaved skills and determine total damage done after battle spirit for each.
    Disagree for the same reason as #1 re: length of burst window.
    5. Test a PvP opening rotation using 1, 2, and 3 weaved skills and determine how much burst happens within the time frame for each after battle spirit.
    Partially agree. Timeframe should be 5 seconds (give or take) and the rotation should be whatever the given class would normally use, unless the proc sets require a different action. Since most proc sets now only require damage to be done, the same rotation should be able to be used on both builds in most cases.
    I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark. This should be especially true on the 1 ability weave vs the 3 ability weave test as stat based sets get stronger the more damage abilities are used. All this would mean is that proc sets have a niche of being bursty ( better vs lower resistance / health / sustain targets) and stat sets are better at sustained damage ( better vs high resistance / health / sustain targets).
    This is what I would assume as well, but as I stated earlier I think sustained damage is largely irrelevant with regard to this topic. Sure there are plenty of high resistance / health / sustain targets in PVP, but they aren't likely the ones worried about all of the incoming proc sets. What people are worried about is lack of counterplay — if you survive for 10 seconds, then there was counterplay.
    If the burst itself is considered to high than the burst sets have to be put to the test vs setups that counter burst before even considering a nerf. That means taking the standardized test I mention above and stacking it against sets like Juggernaut, Orgnum's Scales etc.. and seeing if burst resistant setups are being overwhelmed. If procs sets warp the meta in a ways that counter based sets can't do their job that is an argument I can get behind. Even then it would have to prove that time to kill is so out of wack that under normal circumstances use of LOS and team play are circumvented by it.
    Disagree. If the burst is too high, the burst is to high. Whether or not defensive proc sets can survive offensive proc set burst is irrelevant — if the defensive proc sets are altogether stronger than the offensive proc sets and are not overwhelmed, it doesn't change the fact that the burst from proc sets was found to be unacceptably high. Also, I feel like this is telling people that if they want to survive the impending proc set free-for-all they'll just have to use defensive proc sets, and that is not an acceptable solution IMO.
    Dueling is not going to provide this kind of data. The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game. These imbalances are put in place to encourage group play and place safety valves on one setup vs another. You can't balance that kind of system in a 1 v1 environment.
    Partially agree. I don't think that 1v1 scenarios should be the only form of test used, but they definitely are relevant to the conversation. Unless you never find yourself in 1v1 scenarios.

(This are just my initial thoughts. I haven't considered them too much, and could definitely be persuaded to change my mind given good enough counterpoints.)

1. I would argue two points for stretching out the burst window to 10 seconds. The 10 seconds is presumably the window of time Caluurions is balanced around damage wise and therefore should show it maximum potential vs another 5 piece bonus. After you establish the maximum potential of the set you can walk it back as many seconds as you want to determine where each set hits its peak in performance within that 10 second window. Secondly neither of us can say for a fact what the average burst window is in PvP. Only ZoS has that info. I feel its much better to work off a spectrum of total possible damage than try to assert what may or may not be the case, at least where possible.

As far as classes and stamina goes etc I think that's all fine and good, but would take a long time. I would say the first test should be whatever the highest capable magicka burst class is (since Caluurions and proc sets shaped around it are being targetted) put up against each class in a light / heavy / medium setup that has a burst counter and one that does not. If the highest potential class build shows no signs of being unbalanced any class below it should be theoretically balanced performance wise.

2. Firstly Malacath will almost always be the best increase in damage outside of very niche setups that can overcome the large devaluation of critical strike and damage impenetrable gives. I would argue none of those setups are open enough that you could test them across every class or consistent enough to provide a proper test. Also variance across averages could take a long time. I would rather just lean on the one item that eliminates variance and provides more damage in almost every scenario impenetrable is a consideration.

3. Monster helms are pretty well balanced against each other. Yes the critical chance is wasted but it such a small piece of equation that I feel sacrificing it is not going to skew results in a way that matters. An 8% bonus however is net neutral, has no variance, and should give about as much damage as a monster set of any other type on average. If you try to ascertain what helm is best for who its going to vary widely from class to class and setup to setup for what I see as little gain.

4. The rotation is needed to establish the damage spectrum I mentioned in my first point. I am making an assertion that most people use at least 3 damage based abilities in an attempt to burst them. We scale it up from 1 ability to 3 just to supply more data on what damage potential would look like from 1 - 3 in a burst window. Much like the actual burst window I don't have the data ZoS would have to determine the real average of abilities used or within what time frame. I can only assume that under normal circumstances a competent player will not die consistently from someone spamming one or two abilities on them.

5. You can disagree with the solution of defensive set countering offensive sets, but then you are trying to argue against how class balance and itemization was designed from its very foundation. A lot of the niche sets were not designed to sit in a cupboard collecting dust while everyone one used the one true set ( whatever that may be for whatever meta your in) for eternity. They were designed to place safety valves on different types of gameplay. These hard counters instigate organic meta change that not only make the devs jobs easier ( they don't have to to jump at every slight shift in meta if they've provided counters), but it also keep the meta from being stale. I'll try to illustrate my point with a real life example:

Way back in the dinosaur era of ESO PvP there was a burst meta where direct damage was king and a lot of it. Some people got it into there head that instead complaining about snipe and nightblade ganks etc... they would try different sets to try and counter being blown off the planet by all the incoming damage. One of the solution was a set called Whitestrake's Retribution( some people might not even know what this is anymore so I'll link it: https://eso-sets.com/set/whitestrakes-retribution).

Whitestrake may not look like much now but back in the day it was a force. It kept you alive, made the burst setup up actually have to have a back up plan, and PvP for the most part could happen. To counter sets like Whitestrake the meta shifted from burst to more sustained damage. Admittedly Whitestrake in particular did its job a bit to well even after the meta shift and had to be nerfed, but the point still stands.

This is how the game has operated pretty much since beta. I feel its a good system. You should be able to be weak against some things and strong against others and those factors should be determined by what you wear and what class you play. If a setup overwhelms its counters I could see there being a problem, however if its the other way around I couldn't agree to a nerf.

6. If 1 v1 scenarios determined by any appreciable margin the outcome of what constitutes winning in a game entirely built around group PvP I would concede the point however, I have held the stance that it does not for years and have yet to be convinced otherwise.

1. Comparing a 20k in one gcd damage proc that happens from light attacking is equivalent to getting an extra ultimate off every 10s by just existing in the game. I would be hard pressed to say even the damage from say clever alch and spamming dizzy would even come close to comparing to that level of burst in with a 2-3 gcd gap. If you were to compare over a full 10s period with the stat build, even if the damage was equivalent, the test does not mean anything. From my experience building, no amount of stat sets are going to equate to how much damage you get through caluurions and malacath.

2. for sure malacath is no doubt probably the strongest thing on the market right now....mathmatically it could be tuned down to 15% damage and still be strong enough to run. Tbh only a few setups woulnt benefit from running it, sadly enough for me stamsorc has no way of running it. You could make the argument that me and Langeston had before about nb getting guaranteed crits and crit passives, but even then......ehhh its hard to say mala wont just be better anyways.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajaks wrote: »

He was nearly bullied in to duels and he proved his claims. I think that if you strive for objectivity you have to give him that.

"Nearly bullied in to duels." I would LOVE to see you back this up with any sort of evidence. I offered to settle a dispute through an actual test, with no ego involved on a class I almost never play.

I stated exactly what my goal was, that it wasn't about ego, that I only wanted to show how powerful procs were with just light attacks. I offered to fight anyone in here with no stipulation that it shows any sort of skill level, because I wasn't doing something that required it.

Sabre even came away from the entire situation with the thought that he proved his point and made a stronger claim than he otherwise could have.

If YOU want to strive for objectivity, back up this outlandish claim with literally anything that may support it.

• FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are thinking too far into it even then. just run a 50-60khp tank which is easy since this game makes it so easy with cp to build tankiness over damage. Then all your damage comes from a 20-21k proc every 10sec. Malacath+caluurions+ light attacking.....literally light attacking. No special combo/buff rotation....just light attacking. Then all you need is tank and sustain.

If i can still kill people by bash spamming on my normal 1vX toon, i guarantee a 20k proc paired with dots/delayed damage will still do fine with malacath there to make up for no damage sets. It will probably feel like a damage build noncritting with the no damage stats+malacath.

I tried to do this, but I was told I was a dueling spec and that doesn't mean much in open world, even though literally any sort of 40k max health stat spec could not kill someone, or dent their health bar with light attacks.
  • Ajaks
    Ajaks
    ✭✭✭
    "Nearly bullied in to duels." I would LOVE to see you back this up with any sort of evidence. I offered to settle a dispute through an actual test, with no ego involved on a class I almost never play.

If YOU want to strive for objectivity, back up this outlandish claim with literally anything that may support it.

I can prove it but this is beyond the issue of the discussion, isn't it?
    I'm streaming on Friday. Bring your stat based dueling build, i'll bring my light attacks.

Edit: I want to be clear with this. I just want to show how overtuned procs currently are on the pts. If you think I'm wrong, this is a perfect time to prove it. No animosity or anything, just a disagreement in where procs currently are.
    Mayrael wrote: »
    @FrankonPC Isthereno1else you have been called out.

I think you may have something to say in that matter :)
    technohic wrote: »
    @FrankonPC When is your stream on PTS? I want to see if there are any takers
    JayKwellen wrote: »

@technohic His twitch stream is Isth3reno1else. Unfortunately you'll probably be disappointed, as I can pretty much guarantee none of the procopalypse defenders will show up.
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up the gauntlet?

Now @sabresandiego_ESO went in those duels even if he specifically said that dueling does not prove much in his eyes as PVP can't be narrowed down to a 1 v 1 open field fight. And while I agree with you that he came out of the situation with stronger claim that he otherwise would have, he was definitely challenged to prove his point in practice by a lot of you guys. That being said "nearly bullied" does not mean "bullied" and I already thanked you both for providing us with this experiment. But for some of the participants in this discussion to accuse him after the fight:
    1- that he hasn't put any argument on the table;
    or
    2- that playing with his main class is an unfair advantage;
    seems completely nonsensical to me.

On the issue at hand. I personally like proc sets and how viable they are in the current meta. Their damage is within the right margin but I don't think that multiple direct damage procs should be allowed to fire within the same attack. It seems too much to counter as I can think of combos that will melt people if they don't dodge them. Dots however can be purged and after the proc even a good player will have some troubles to sustain offensive pressure or heal himself. Perhaps a condition where multiple DD procs can't be toggled from 1 attack but multiple DOTS (or 1 DD and DOTS) are allowed to should be considered by the devs. Data will tell.

Your HP proc build was definitely interesting because of the ability to toggle those multiple procs in the same time, while having lots of health and preserving your resources to defend yourself. That being said, if you sacrifice the 5 piece bonuses you should be able to be competitive with the procs that you acquire from it even if you commit to light attacks. As @sabresandiego_ESO said however, using offensive abilities would hurt you "because they would be inefficient and run you out of resources, and you'd have nothing left for defense".
  • ColoniaCroisant
    ColoniaCroisant
    ✭✭✭
    Can't we just make the pvp nerf to proc sets specifically just stronger? That way the pvp crowd gets what they want and the pve crowd can still enjoy using proc sets in other content? It seems like the best of both worlds
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He was nearly bullied in to duels and he proved his claims. I think that if you strive for objectivity you have to give him that.

I stated exactly what my goal was, that it wasn't about ego, that I only wanted to show how powerful procs were with just light attacks. I offered to fight anyone in here with no stipulation that it shows any sort of skill level, because I wasn't doing something that required it.

Sabre even came away from the entire situation with the thought that he proved his point and made a stronger claim than he otherwise could have.

I think you are sometimes arguing from a narrow point of view, for example when you came back with your detailed burst calculations in response to my post. This isn't everything and, as an experienced player, you should really have a better feel for how procs actually play in game. I know you'll point me back to the 3-proc NB you ran for a week. I still find your arguments disingenuous. Maybe I'm stupid and I'm missing something for not running a slower, less damage-compromised triple-proc build myself. However the tradeoffs people, such as me, make in their open world builds do matter. If lots of people decide this is just too good, only then do we have a problem for sure. I'm guessing you will probably hate this argument, because that's how ZOS operate and many people (including myself, in the past) aren't too happy about it. I'll add some further context for me having changed my mind on that below.

First, though, it may be that you're right and next patch will prove a one-sided proc meta. It's just, you're trying to make out that your duels with sabresandiego_ESO proved that and I think they did anything but. In my view your challenge backfired. You've been backed into a corner and now you're trying to do the same with the rest of us. I don't think you technically bullied anyone, but I can understand why someone might feel that way, especially those of us for whom this is not a competitive game, but who play for fun.

This is not a viewpoint I've always held. I've been quite serious about builds and trying to get better for the longest time, hence watching your channel. I'm not in that boat anymore. One of the reasons is that I've come to accept open world as fundamentally unfair, with one of the main factors being uneven numbers. When you think about it, competitive sports in real life use even numbers of teams (more like BGs), but they also use the same tools, barring a few advances, such as those springy trainers that make you run faster. An RPG deliberately sets out to give people different tools. The longer I play, the more I've come to believe that the balance that players clamour for, especially the very good players, is an unattainable goal. It's fundamentally at odds with what an RPG is. Thus ZOS' approach of "let's see how many people actually adopt this stuff", painful though it may be, is as good a criterion as any. In fact, the even adoption of sets, classes and skills is the only criterion for balance really, whereas the question of how well matched or unbalanced individual 1v1 encounters are is emphatically not. I know you'll probably try to turn this argument against me as well in regards to your Twitch videos. It's just, against that necro, I couldn't even see that you were pressuring him.

That said, I'm actually more on your side than some people, believe it or not. I think you missed a trick in your recent Flame Blossom review. Proc sets losing their randomness will change things. A magblade stunning with their opener or fearing right after it could probably guarantee a hit from both Caluurion and that set. They might also save up on Balorgh for loads of penetration.
    Edited by fred4 on July 27, 2020 1:04PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can't we just make the pvp nerf to proc sets specifically just stronger? That way the pvp crowd gets what they want and the pve crowd can still enjoy using proc sets in other content? It seems like the best of both worlds
    Absolutely not. If you think that's what the PvP crowd wants, here's one PvPer who does not want that, however I am open to restrictions on combining proc sets.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are sometimes arguing from a narrow point of view, for example when you came back with your detailed burst calculations in response to my post.

We've both experienced this conversation. Are you really annoyed I brought up facts when you said this?
    And there it is. You don't even notice it, do you? The unquestionable presupposition that proc sets are "free" damage. This is what makes you a purist and borderline elitist.

Ad hominem attacks coupled around a vague claim that procs don't provide free damage. Since you didn't understand my 40k health proc setup, and then you followed that up by stating I'm a purist... I figured I would write this out. I like to talk to people about balance in this game. I know you're a lost cause with this argument in this thread, but other people that read it are not. I am more than ok with being wrong, but I need to be proven I'm wrong.

You also made this claim a few times:
    They overestimate the skill that's needed for playing a stat-based build versus what's just general proficiency at ESO. They IMO also underestimate the compromises going into proc builds, because they don't play such builds medium to long term.

You're attempting to appeal to authority here, that since BECAUSE i don't like proc sets, I don't run them, and because you do, you have a better understanding than me. This is why I linked you a build video that YOU commented on where I'm running multiple procs, because I have, on multiple different specs in this game.
    I know you'll point me back to the 3-proc NB you ran for a week.

I've already stated this before, but you're still attempting to appeal to authority here.

You do realize I have a channel right? On this channel I post videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZo8WZu2P4o&t=2s

From Mar 29, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D7C2bvDD6M&t=30s
    From May 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwZ2jCHKKE
    From Jun 20, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRRRv4fHqiA

Dec 15, 2018

Now, I'm not a mathemetician, but March into December is a little longer than a week. I have other proc set builds also. Do you care to be wrong again?
    This isn't everything and, as an experienced player, you should really have a better feel for how procs actually play in game.

As a player running a build literally carried by caluurions, I would recommend that you find some sort of evidence instead of something like this where I can prove you wrong almost immediately. If you want me to link any other proc builds I have ran, I will. You just say the word, but I think 4 youtube links in a post is enough for now.
    Maybe I'm stupid and I'm missing something for not running a slower, less damage-compromised triple-proc build myself.

You don't see how if I build a setup that literally can only do pressure with procs...that it can somehow translate to another build where I have other damage? I already showed you how replacing war maiden with caluurion's is substantially more damage...then I showed you how ramping up proc sets will give you increased damage compared to each max stat spec as I went on in the video. you accuse me of arguing from a "narrow point of view", but this statement didn't have to be said if you read the post where I showed how much burst you can get with proc sets.

However the tradeoffs people, such as me, make in their open world builds do matter.

I would normally be more than willing to tell you that you're making the wrong tradeoffs and I could add more recovery and damage to your build without sacrificing any of the speed or survival that you like...because your open world build does indeed matter, even if it's poorly constructed.
    It's just, you're trying to make out that your duels with sabresandiego_ESO proved that and I think they did anything but. In my view your challenge backfired.

I am shocked that you think this!

From a personal point of view, dumping on Caluurion affects the viability of my build big time.

O wait, no i don't. You have a vested interest in keeping caluurion's as it is. I'm not going to insult you for it like you have to me, but let's call a spade a spade here.
    I don't think you technically bullied anyone, but I can understand why someone might feel that way, especially those of us for whom this is not a competitive game, but who play for fun.

See, this is where we disagree. Typically when I am presented with a point of view that goes against mine, I would love to see proof or be given a chance to show different facts and information. I jump at the chance to because I think my argument is right. I'm willing to show my point and, instead of arguing on a forum for hours and days, we can resolve it rather quickly, without the need to waste each other's time. I guess for someone that would rather not argue on the basis of facts, numbers, evidence, etc and would rather argue based off of logical fallacies, this WOULD be bullying. I concede this one to you. We just function differently.
    I've been quite serious about builds and trying to get better for the longest time, hence watching your channel. I'm not in that boat anymore.

I'm serious, you could add 1k to your tooltips with the same speed, health and survival stats you are currently running, while also adding more recovery. There's so much to build construction in outnumbered and open world situations. You should get back in that boat.

The longer I play, the more I've come to believe that the balance that players clamour for, especially the very good players, is an unattainable goal. It's fundamentally at odds with what an RPG is. Thus ZOS' approach of "let's see how many people actually adopt this stuff"

Would you believe this if they came out with a set that pulled you out of stealth with 100% uptime? No point in attempting to keep classes functioning, it's fundamentally at odds with what an RPG is! I am sure you would be ok with this...

From a personal point of view, dumping on Caluurion affects the viability of my build big time.

O wait, I believe the other way, that you're just a biased magicka nightblade that is encountering a set that you'd like to keep. I'm sorry for being misleading.

Is this arguing from a narrow point of view? Would you like me to address any of your other posts in this way? I think I already know the answer, but I'll leave it to you.

• MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to do this, but I was told I was a dueling spec and that doesn't mean much in open world, even though literally any sort of 40k max health stat spec could not kill someone, or dent their health bar with light attacks.

That all depends on the setup, ive seen some players roll 50-60khp builds and wipe groups of players open field while still doing fine in 1v1s. Sure you might not be able to be aggressive if a player is running away, but if you can just accept that fact then why care about them? Come across an equally skilled player and 1v1, well if anything if you cant kill them it is a stalemate. Likely they wont keep bothering you because it would be a waste of pots/pois.

Again though, it all depends on what build you can pull off. I can assure you there is plenty out there, especially with malacath in the mix.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're linking a post where I even said it's not about egos, as well as a person asking if anyone did duel me, and someone else asking what time the stream is. That's followed by someone stating that nobody will show up. Does bullying mean something different where you're from?

That being said "nearly bullied" does not mean "bullied" and I already thanked you both for providing us with this experiment.

[snip]
    Your HP proc build was definitely interesting because of the ability to toggle those multiple procs in the same time, while having lots of health and preserving your resources to defend yourself. That being said, if you sacrifice the 5 piece bonuses you should be able to be competitive with the procs that you acquire from it even if you commit to light attacks. As @sabresandiego_ESO said however, using offensive abilities would hurt you "because they would be inefficient and run you out of resources, and you'd have nothing left for defense".

I still do not understand how you guys do not grasp the point of my video. Procs give you more than any stat based set in the game, IF you can survive. If i needed more survival, I'm better off running a tanky set with two proc sets for damage than I am a tanky set with two damage sets. My build was in an attempt to isolate the damage to "just" light attacks, showing that I can still do enough damage to kill people with that on its own while still having survival. I never claimed this was a min maxed open world build, but if the changes did go live, I will have x'd with it.

Imagine literally any other max stat build in the same situation...could I come anywhere close to pressuring someone's health bar with just light attacks and 40k health? If you're being genuine with this, please go back and look at my magblade post where I show how max stat builds do not provide nearly the same pressure as proc sets do. I thought that showing this on a 40k health build would prove my point, but I guess not.

If I posted a build with just caluurions on an open world setup, people would scoff and go "oh he's just a good player, procs aren't carrying his damage". If I posted two procs with a defensive set, people would say the same thing. Apparently, when you show a 40k health build with crazy survival and sustain with pressure to kill someone 1 v 1 with light attacks and a dot, proc set purists will still defend it and claim it's a dueling spec, ignoring the fact that not once in any of those fights did i activate an offensive or defensive ultimate.

I really think you should go back and look at the last fight when I put in the recovery I had before. You can claim it would impact my recovery, but when I'm at full resources for most of the fight and I literally only need my fissure and ultimate for a burst combination, I think you're weighting this too heavily. If the counter to my build is "be a good player on arguably the best class in the game that people are calling for nerfs on"...is that a good counter for the general population that "plays for fun?"

[Edit for Baiting.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on July 28, 2020 8:52PM
  • artal
    artal
    ✭✭✭
    I like to play all kind of builds. Having fun playing with stat setups, dot and proc setups. Even though I'm enjoying some proc builds I try to be realistic and admit if something is overtuned.

Don't play much with caluurion but I haven't died much to people running it. it happens very rarely and its usually when im fighting someone else and are low on stam and than nb stun with this set.
    Seeing that this set was about to loose crit requirement was very scary, luckily its back on so all in all I'm fine with it.

Red mountain is also probably fine with 8 sec cd, will need to check this some more though cause of increased dmg. 2 sec cd was beyond broken.

venomous and terror need some more tweaks, to easy to proc for such good dmg. I think unleashed terror need to be capped to 1 person with 10 sec cd or whatever, and not that you can just charge everyone. I mean ZOS went out of their way and made stampede aoe charge so you dont have to bother even with that 😂

I think sheer venom should loose its aoe and just be single target, would like to keep that execute phase for now. maybe its to strong and would also need change.

But then there are sets that should be buffed, like sunderflame for instance. It went from super strong burst set to super bad dot set.
    With caluurion and red mountain "fix" things are bit better, but unleashed terror and venomous are in need of some serious adjustments. Removing aoe part of it would be step in right direction.

There are more sets that either need tuning down or buffing, or changing mechanic of procs. Personally what I would like is for them to stay viable but that it takes some setting up to really profit from them, not just hitting PI, LA or charge....

• ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a few comments, we would like to ask that all posts remain on the topic at hand, and to please refrain from derailing.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm streaming on Friday. Bring your stat based dueling build, i'll bring my light attacks.

Edit: I want to be clear with this. I just want to show how overtuned procs currently are on the pts. If you think I'm wrong, this is a perfect time to prove it. No animosity or anything, just a disagreement in where procs currently are.
    Mayrael wrote: »
    @FrankonPC Isthereno1else you have been called out.

I think you may have something to say in that matter :)
    JayKwellen wrote: »

@technohic His twitch stream is Isth3reno1else. Unfortunately you'll probably be disappointed, as I can pretty much guarantee none of the procopalypse defenders will show up.
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up the gauntlet?

Now @sabresandiego_ESO went in those duels even if he specifically said that dueling does not prove much in his eyes as PVP can't be narrowed down to a 1 v 1 open field fight. And while I agree with you that he came out of the situation with stronger claim that he otherwise would have, he was definitely challenged to prove his point in practice by a lot of you guys. That being said "nearly bullied" does not mean "bullied" and I already thanked you both for providing us with this experiment. But for some of the participants in this discussion to accuse him after the fight:
    1- that he hasn't put any argument on the table;
    or
    2- that playing with his main class is an unfair advantage;
    seems completely nonsensical to me.

On the issue at hand. I personally like proc sets and how viable they are in the current meta. Their damage is within the right margin but I don't think that multiple direct damage procs should be allowed to fire within the same attack. It seems too much to counter as I can think of combos that will melt people if they don't dodge them. Dots however can be purged and after the proc even a good player will have some troubles to sustain offensive pressure or heal himself. Perhaps a condition where multiple DD procs can't be toggled from 1 attack but multiple DOTS (or 1 DD and DOTS) are allowed to should be considered by the devs. Data will tell.

He was accused not because its an unfair advantage to play his main class. He was accused because he used a subjective term as "fun" as an argument, then turned down the video and called it fake news or whatever because apparently spamming light attacks is a "duelling build" and duelling has no relevance and doesnt prove anything, then went on to duel with an actual duelling build on the strongest class with on demand major defile and after he won the duels he said the tests actually prove him right even tho he again, called the video fake news beforehand because it was a "duelling build" that doesnt prove anything. Now thats nonsensical.
    Edited by pieratsos on July 28, 2020 10:01PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @FrankonPC, I feel I owe you an apology. Much of what I've written was along the lines of "Cmon, you can't be serious". I questioned your integrity, making out like you were lying. I no longer doubt you. You truly believe all you've said. Furthermore much, if not all of it, was factually accurate, such as the instant burst a proc can provide as well as your own history of running proc builds. I fell into a trap of being way overzealous in my initial response to your Twitch stream and subsequent arguments. For that I aplogize. It still doesn't mean that I agree with you, but I might have left it at "I found your stream unconvincing."

You believe there is a strong competitive aspect to this game and that balancing is important for the health of PvP. The recent letter from Rich Lambert is a sign that ZOS are finally taking Cyrodiil performance as seriously as many of us hoped. Perhaps it is also a sign that they will take input on balancing seriously. I say this, because the coming patch must surely be the last of the great reworks, leaving just greater refinement for the future (one would hope). As such, I wish you well for your YouTube channel and the work you put into PTS testing.

What I currently see in game, when it comes to 1v1 encounters, is anything but balance. For example I was playing my magsorc recently, which I rarely do and am pretty terrible at. I was up against a magplar who I knew by name and believe to be a decent player. To my surprise, I killed him. He suddenly died from fairly high health to Curse, Mage's Fury and Force Pulse. I didn't even run Frags or use an ultimate. This left an impression on me, because I'm quite sure I wouldn't have killed that guy on my magblade main, despite Caluurion. The burst seemed greater and more surprising to the templar than the burst from my magblade. I just run a mag-stacking build on the sorc, by the way.

When it comes to individual encounters, I see a great breadth of power imbalance in many. This can partly be explained by the rock / paper / scissors effect, partly by class / build / armor set imbalances. Your point was that one shouldn't do as much damage as you did with your proc build in the video. If that is true, then I think it was perhaps something you could feel more while playing than what would necessarily be obvious from watching the stream. In the part of the footage I watched, I remember just one instance where the necro dropped to half health.

My point is that, even if you feel combinations of procs are too strong, the stream put it in perspective what you mean by that. When it comes to next patch, I'm glad Caluurion is reverted. Beyond that I remain in the "let's wait and see" camp.
    Edited by fred4 on July 29, 2020 9:34AM
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thumbs up, @fred4, not many people here show the character for a post like that.
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • Ivan04
    Ivan04
    ✭✭✭✭
    Silent majority? Ha! More like REALLY LOUD minority of people claiming to be experienced players and saying "I Love my one button builds, ooh, I love it so much when I can deal a million damage in BGs by pressing two buttons on my stamblade, ooh, I'm loving how much better I am than those "elitist" people that "love cool stats"" -
    fact is, the new proc sets were balanced around PVE, so they deal damage comparable to crits against a trial dummy while they can't crit, meanwhile in pvp it's so easy to stack multiple procs so you're dealing damage from multiple different sources with one press of a button. In many ways it's even worse than Scalebreaker.
    And no, it does not narrow the skill gap - experienced players are capable of utilizing proc build more efficiently. However, it does remove the feeling of you actually doing the damage - you just look and see "oh, that's not me dealing the damage, it's Sheer Venom stealing a kill for me again, I feel more dirty than the magsorc" - some people really love it, and the ACTUAL MAJORITY of people DO NOT love having their skill removed - good players do it just because they have to succesfully compete with this new meta. Most of the actual experienced played literally do not condone overbuffed proc, there are multiple polls in combat section of the forum that make is clear as day.

Conclusion - procs themselves aren't evil, they don't need to be removed from the game, their damage just need to be tuned in a way that supplements actual player skill rather than removes it.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (PVP) In the old days, the four classes clashed using the mechanics of class and weapon skills. Now, the four watered-down classes can allow the armor to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

I prefer Magblade but I slotted a couple of infamous gear sets on my stamblade, a class on which I have very little experience, and I can kill a player in 2 or 3 seconds and sometimes without the player getting a single hit on me. It's disgusting.

Overall it is cool that players can gear-up in proc sets and do very well in PVP but, in the current iteration, it is not necessarily a great thing for pvp. A few of the proc sets are much too powerful; the counter to those sets are far too punishing compared to the ease of the procs being applied. One cannot apply a purge fast enough or often enough and also be offensive. In the case of a of the few sets, gameplay is very lopsided.

Identify the over-tuned sets and tone them down.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the so called "silent majority" the OP suggests is actually the really loud minority who just doesn't want their crutches taken away from them. Right now they are happy they can spam 2 buttons and be relevant. Once that gets removed they will once again be dying and irrelevant in PvP. Most of these types do not want to actually learn the mechanics of PvP or get skill.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont think you guys are a majority.

there are fun proc sets. but "click on button and deal X damage" sets are more boring than stat based ones.

they are like the old seventh legion/veiled/truth etc sets. they were all deal dmg/get dealt damage and get weapon damage boost for 10 secs now they changed it which made it better imo.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks PVP!

Something is always overpowered and because of PVP this forum is full of nerf threads, and will continue to be until the end of time. It will never stop.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we needed to drag this back from July for a Round 2, huh?

211kd3.jpg
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 21, 2020 6:00PM
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    Thanks PVP!

Something is always overpowered and because of PVP this forum is full of nerf threads, and will continue to be until the end of time. It will never stop.

yeah cuz pve'rs are always fine not like they complain about 500 dps that other classes make right? i would have said more but i might get a message from mods again.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This build just gets more broken next update.

This is the kind of proc tank build talk about

It very much kills, it very much lives and it very much ignores all offensive stats completely

https://youtu.be/XlXNNNli1Fs
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game is unplayable with this proc set meta. I can't even bring myself to log on to rank up my riding skills.
    They offer no variety.